Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

peepoogenderparts posted:

Alongside Bill Plaschke's book about Tommy Lasorda, it is easily the worst book I've ever read.

For those of us who missed it, could you give a brief rundown of what Plaschke's Lasorda book was like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

For those of us who missed it, could you give a brief rundown of what Plaschke's Lasorda book was like?

It wasn't the content as much as it was the writing style. I got halfway through the book thinking I had gone full retard because I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

peepoogenderparts posted:

It wasn't the content as much as it was the writing style. I got halfway through the book thinking I had gone full retard because I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Were there any paragraphs longer than a sentence?

fake e: gently caress, I just imagined having to edit a Plaschke piece. I want to cut myself.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
There were tons of three or four word sentences waxing philosophical about Tommy Lasorda. "And then, he was" or "For him, to be."

I mean, it was about 7 years ago that I read it, and to this day I remember it just for the terrible writing.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Did Lasorda talk about his son, or was he still at the point where he refused to acknowledge he even had one?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
It was so long ago and such a confusing book that I seriously don't remember.

It went back and forth between the present and the past, so you never knew where you were in relation to time. He might be talking about Lasorda eating a hot dog, and then talk about a game in 1978, and then a piece of pizza, and you had to figure out which timeframe he was using.

I'm going to the library after work. I might try to check it out again and relive the danger.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Clay Travis posted:

http://deadspin.com/5872972/cocaine-suicide-women-and-guns-an-aj-daulerio-story

Will Leitch tried to appeal to the better angels of Deadspin's nature; A.J. didn't give a drat about your better angels. He knew you wanted to see Brett Favre's dick.

Even Clay Travis thinks AJ Daulerio is a sleazy prick, ouch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From the Charlotte Observer:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

morestuff posted:

From the Charlotte Observer:

This is always entertaining. The Steve Levy incident from 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cq0WG_qSA

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Red Sox were a bunch of limp-wristed weakass pussies last year but Bobby V. will make them TOUGH again

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nick cafardo is the worst

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nick cafardo is the worst
Serious question: are any Red Sox reporters good? They all suffer from varying levels of schlockiness.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tim Thomas posted:

Serious question: are any Red Sox reporters good? They all suffer from varying levels of schlockiness.

if you count chad finn he's pretty good, and i don't mind alex speier but neither of those guys are beat guys (speier works for WEEI). to be fair, neither is cafardo.

fatty abe is fair to middleish (creepy about women though) and he is on the beat.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I know Rob Parker is typically terrible, but this is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7429623/the-city-atlanta-worst-sports-town-america

I hate arguments that such and such team deserves to win more because they have more fans. I root for Tampa Bay area teams so obviously I am used to seeing empty seats, but straight up saying a team deserves wins based on attendance when the other team is near in the largest city in America is dumb as poo poo. Atlanta doesn't get any football games blacked out, and I've never heard issues there with attendance other than that Rich-Rod year where everything was a disaster anyways (and looking it up they were top half of the league that year).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Shocking. A New York columnist thinks that sports games should be determined based on relative city quality, AND argues that New York is the superior city.

God, even the actual writing is putrid.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Jim Rome is leaving ESPN. Hooray!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

morestuff posted:

Jim Rome is leaving ESPN. Hooray!

Rack it!

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/news/should-lidges-number-be-retired?blockID=625574&feedID=10156

Should Lidge's Number Be Retired?

quote:

The smart money says those greats will have company that go by the names: Howard, Utley and Rollins. Roy Halladay might join that list depending on both the length of his success and his Phillies’ career.

Yet, there should be another number that is painted on to the wall in Ashburn Alley: No. 54. Brad Lidge’s greatness in red pinstripes may be limited to one year. But it was the most important individual season in franchise history.

Without him, there is no championship.

No parade.

No eternal memory.

The Phillies should return that favor and ensure that Lidge’s 2008 season is remembered and appreciated for generations to come.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Holy poo poo I just now got Bill Baer/your blog's name

Also, lol

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I'm not at all sure if the correct response to this is a giant rolleye smiley vomiting rolleyes, or a giant barf smiley vomiting barfs.

Goddamn do I wish the Phillies had Billy Wagner and Lidge on the team in the opposite order they did.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Mornacale posted:

Shocking. A New York columnist thinks that sports games should be determined based on relative city quality, AND argues that New York is the superior city.

God, even the actual writing is putrid.

I hate when people start sentences with "Hence". I'm not sure if it is bad sentence structure or anything, but I just hate that word for some reason.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The pitch type database at my job lets us leave notes and Lidge has my favorite note from back in 2008: "best slider in the game! NASTY"

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The pitch type database at my job lets us leave notes and Lidge has my favorite note from back in 2008: "best slider in the game! NASTY"

Have you left a mean joke in Adenhart's record yet

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

Crion posted:

Have you left a mean joke in Adenhart's record yet

:ninja:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
the yankees should retire brad lidge's number because he was instrumental in their 2009 world series win

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Moe_Rahn posted:

the yankees should retire brad lidge's number because he was instrumental in their 2009 world series win

I'm all for it!

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

marioinblack posted:

I know Rob Parker is typically terrible, but this is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7429623/the-city-atlanta-worst-sports-town-america

I hate arguments that such and such team deserves to win more because they have more fans. I root for Tampa Bay area teams so obviously I am used to seeing empty seats, but straight up saying a team deserves wins based on attendance when the other team is near in the largest city in America is dumb as poo poo. Atlanta doesn't get any football games blacked out, and I've never heard issues there with attendance other than that Rich-Rod year where everything was a disaster anyways (and looking it up they were top half of the league that year).

By Rich Rodriguez do you mean Bobby Petrino?

Jim Rome is leaving ESPN...but going to the CBS Sports Network, your home for Marshall/East Carolina football games! He apparently makes the big chunk of his money from radio and does JRIB for exposure.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Moe_Rahn posted:

That was so great. He looked like old Brad Lidge for 2 batters and then Damon came up and the charade ended.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The Yankees should retire every number and eliminate identifying information from their uniforms entirely.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

The Yankees should retire every number and eliminate identifying information from their uniforms entirely.

True Yankees will recognize that the only thing that really matters is what's on the front of the uniform.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MorningView posted:

True Yankees will recognize that the only thing that really matters is what's on the front of the uniform.

Alex Rodriguez's uniform would be a blank canvas.

He could fill it with sponsorships.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

And now batting, number 3B, third base for YOUR New York Yankees, Third Base!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

dog poop n doritos posted:

And now batting, number 3B, third base for YOUR New York Yankees, Third Base!

3B Yankees is the new QB Eagles

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I also want A-Rod to replace the Yankees lettering on the front of his jersey with his last name, and then the logo on his cap with the Scoobi A-Rod avatar.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Then change his number to the dollar figure left on his contract.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

MorningView posted:

Then change his number to the dollar figure left on his contract.

Another good use for the Matthew Lesko Suit Jersey.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Posted without comment

http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...7Ctext%7CSports

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

AlleyViper posted:

Posted without comment

http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...7Ctext%7CSports

I just...holy poo poo.

How do you think Dave Concepcion is worthy of the HoF, and NOT Barry Larkin?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Everyone, I'm going to let you all in on a little secret: most of the BBWAA writers make most of their decisions for purely emotional reasons, and then make post hoc rationalizations of who they do/don't want in. There is no rational process by which you can question that vote, because there was no rational process used to make it.

Similarly, I am increasingly convinced that Jack Morris's case is now almost entirely about nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
"Concepcion was the Ozzie Smith of his day"

well that would be all fine and good except that their careers overlapped by 11 years