Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Typing on my new 13" Macbook Pro. I checked on the Airs, and after doing my research I figured this bad boy would do everything I needed. Thank you all for the advice though. Got welcomed to the Mac "family" by the genius dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Nooooooooooooooo.

I have a 13" MBA (latest model) and a 13" MBP (work issued, latest model). The air is better than the pro in pretty much every way. If you put an SSD in the pro it'll be much nicer. The main problem is the screen though. The pro has significantly less resolution and the horrifying mirror screen. Side-by-side the Air has a much better screen for actual usability, and it's about halfway between 'gently caress why does my laptop have a mirror instead of a screen' and matte.

I've even thought of buying another air and getting it cleared on my work network because I have to lug around the MBP for work (even outside work hours) and the air weight makes a big difference.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The weight of the 13" Air is less but the size is still basically the same when you're taking it in/out of a bag. Especially when it's in a case of it's own.

I recently went on a trip and took my 13" instead of my 11", and sort of regretted the decision. The longest time I was on a plane was just 4 hours, so the battery would have been okay either way. But getting it in/out of a tightly packed carry-on would have been a lot better with the smaller model.

If it's your only computer and you don't have an external monitor for home, the higher resolution of the 13" is tough to beat. If the 13" MBP had the same screen I probably would have just stuck with what I had (13" 2011, 8GB, 160GB SSD)

Spending another $300 for the Air over the Pro isn't worth it IMO. That's assuming you can get a refurb Pro or $999 one at Microcenter or somem other deal.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone that's been watching apple store - have upgraded minis been popping up at all? I need one with the radeon gpu.

Also, what is Apple's policy on returning refurb stuff? I am setting up HDHomerun Prime and it hates my 2009 Mini, bsods ahoy. So I'm thinking of getting a 2011 mini and trying it to see how it functions. I got a deal where I can get 12 months 0% apr through my barclaycard if I go through Apple Store so whatever.

My worries is if the 2011 BSODs the same that I'm boned and stuck with a pile of useless rear end.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Bob Morales posted:

Spending another $300 for the Air over the Pro isn't worth it IMO. That's assuming you can get a refurb Pro or $999 one at Microcenter or somem other deal.

Looks like he bought it at the Apple Store, though.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
Another "duhhh good deal?" question...

- 13" MBA, latest model
- "Gently used"
- 128 Gb / 4Gb
- Box w/accessories and 3rd party case

$1000, including $650 in Amazon GCs that I got for $70. Net cost to me... $420.

Or should I wait? :-\

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Another "duhhh good deal?" question...

- 13" MBA, latest model
- "Gently used"
- 128 Gb / 4Gb
- Box w/accessories and 3rd party case

$1000, including $650 in Amazon GCs that I got for $70. Net cost to me... $420.

Or should I wait? :-\

I wouldn't buy used, period. Spend the extra ~$200 and get a new one from Amazon. The no sales tax is a nice bonus.

Edit: Maybe I seem like I'm taking too hard of a stance against used. I would probably buy from someone on SA Mart. I have no idea as to how reliable re-sellers are on Amazon. I think $200 is worth the peace of mind.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I wouldn't buy used, period. Spend the extra ~$200 and get a new one from Amazon. The no sales tax is a nice bonus.

Edit: Maybe I seem like I'm taking too hard of a stance against used. I would probably buy from someone on SA Mart. I have no idea as to how reliable re-sellers are on Amazon. I think $200 is worth the peace of mind.

Nothing really wrong with used, but only if you can:

Get detailed pictures documenting any scuffs/scratches/dents
See how many cycles the battery has had
See the magsafe and make sure they don't wind it like a stupid gently caress causing damage to it

or- Offer a 30 day return policy in case you aren't satisfied.

--

Otherwise, I'd just try to spend the extra and get a brand new/refurb.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
Great, thanks for the help in deciding!

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

I'm planning on getting a MacBook soon, but I don't really know which model I should get. I'd mainly be using it as a replacement for my relatively dated desktop PC (Intel C2D, Geforce 250GTS, 320GB HDD). I'd like to use it for coding in Xcode, Eclipse and Unity, drawing in Photoshop and *maybe* some 3D modeling/rigging as well as some moderate gaming (Steam titles like TF2 and etc. though for the most part I only play/have time for indie games anymore). Basically everything I use my desktop for now, but in an Apple laptop.

I'd really like to spring for a 17" Pro if only for the dedicated ATI graphics and larger screen real-estate but if I can get away with a slick (and much cheaper) Air that could give me all of the above at comparable performance I'd love that. From what I've seen on YouTube the Airs look pretty capable, but I'd like to future-proof as much as possible and buy something that will last a good while before having to upgrade.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

A few folks on my video/mograph team were talking today about what we should migrate to if the Mac Pro line goes away. This isn't to say that the current Westmere 12-core machines aren't an absolutely ample workstation, but a year or two down the line if the latest Xeons (8-core+ per cpu?) simply aren't available in an Apple workstation. We already have an Xsan investment on fiber and have retired one of our Apple storage arrays in favor of a Promise. We're also using a couple of Xserves (RIP) as render nodes. I argued that maaaaaybe whatever's in the future high-and iMac plus exterior Thunderbolt solutions could at least do what our current machines can do, but that could be a lot of shoehorning with external enclosures and such. One could argue that since software is more efficient you can do more with less, but with our workload we can really make use of every spare CPU core on the network.

Basically, we used to trust Windows to a lot of our load-intensive creative software and it made us cry a lot. I don't want to return to that.

edit: I haven't had the need, but is there any interaction with Airs and Target Disk Mode? Does Thunderbolt leverage this in any way, even with like a FW adapter? Will USB3 TDM on Macs? Here's hoping.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 6, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For the price of a 17" Pro you can buy an 11" Air, iMac, and like a hundred cheeseburger baskets with fries and a Coke.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

I'm planning on getting a MacBook soon, but I don't really know which model I should get. I'd mainly be using it as a replacement for my relatively dated desktop PC (Intel C2D, Geforce 250GTS, 320GB HDD). I'd like to use it for coding in Xcode, Eclipse and Unity, drawing in Photoshop and *maybe* some 3D modeling/rigging as well as some moderate gaming (Steam titles like TF2 and etc. though for the most part I only play/have time for indie games anymore). Basically everything I use my desktop for now, but in an Apple laptop.

I'd really like to spring for a 17" Pro if only for the dedicated ATI graphics and larger screen real-estate but if I can get away with a slick (and much cheaper) Air that could give me all of the above at comparable performance I'd love that. From what I've seen on YouTube the Airs look pretty capable, but I'd like to future-proof as much as possible and buy something that will last a good while before having to upgrade.
Even the people who build their own PCs will say there's no way to future-proof computers. Buy whatever is acceptable for your means at the time and accept eventually you may need to get a new computer in the future. Computer hardware and software rapidly improve every year; it's nearly impossible to get a top of the line computer now that will be able to do everything a computer five years in the future may do.

That said, your habits especially in regards to games aren't that demanding. Source engine-based games like TF2 and Portal 2 run great on Airs, and I doubt indie games require more than what the Source engine does. 3D modeling and rigging don't tend to push 3D graphics as hard as games do, so you're fine there. The only concern is storage space, but cloud solutions/external hard drives can help you there.

If you're still undecided, find an Apple store or electronics store that has Apple products and try both of them out.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 6, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

kuskus posted:

A few folks on my video/mograph team were talking today about what we should migrate to if the Mac Pro line goes away. This isn't to say that the current Westmere 12-core machines aren't an absolutely ample workstation, but a year or two down the line if the latest Xeons (8-core+ per cpu?) simply aren't available in an Apple workstation. We already have an Xsan investment on fiber and have retired one of our Apple storage arrays in favor of a Promise. We're also using a couple of Xserves (RIP) as render nodes. I argued that maaaaaybe whatever's in the future high-and iMac plus exterior ThunderBolt solutions could at least do what our current machines can do, but that could be a lot of shoehorning with external enclosures and such. One could argue that since software is more efficient you can do more with less, but with our workload we can really make use of every spare CPU core on the network.

Basically, we used to trust Windows to a lot of our load-intensive creative software and it made us cry a lot. I don't want to return to that.
You really can't beat Mac minis for the performance price point and very small profile. It was years ago now, but there was a Microsoft blog entry detailing how they compiled Office for Mac builds using a Mac mini farm and Xgrid that was cheaper than an Xserve farm.

kuskus posted:

edit: I haven't had the need, but is there any interaction with Airs and Target Disk Mode? Does Thunderbolt leverage this in any way, even with like a FW adapter? Will USB3 TDM on Macs? Here's hoping.
Thunderbolt does have Target Disk Mode, but requires Thunderbolt accessories. I'm not aware of a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt cable.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 6, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

You really can't beat Mac minis for the performance price point and very small profile. It was years ago now, but there was a Microsoft blog entry detailing how they compiled Office for Mac builds using a Mac mini farm and Xgrid that was cheaper than an Xserve farm.

To be fair, anything would have been cheaper than Xserves.

I personally think the Mini is one of the worst values in Mac-land, right next to the 15" MBP.

$599 for a 2GB machine? Even the $799 model is hard to swallow, when after you add the mouse, keyboard, and a quality display, you're almost at the price of the base iMac.

If they made the base model $499 I could get behind that. I'll even add my own RAM.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

You really can't beat Mac minis for the performance price point and very small profile.

I'm sure that's true for many applications. If we wanted to get them on the existing fiber network connected to the Xsan (still lower latency for many items than GigE) we would need like, a Thunderbolt to PCIe box and a fiber card which may throw a wrench in a clean rack setup. Our Xserve nodes act like workstations and render complete scenes, so they're 8 core with 24GB of RAM. I guess we'd just need to re-think things a bit, but that's good suggestion. Oh Apple, people still have Pro needs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kuskus posted:

I'm sure that's true for many applications. If we wanted to get them on the existing fiber network connected to the Xsan (still lower latency for many items than GigE) we would need like, a Thunderbolt to PCIe box and a fiber card which may throw a wrench in a clean rack setup. Our Xserve nodes act like workstations and render complete scenes, so they're 8 core with 24GB of RAM. I guess we'd just need to re-think things a bit, but that's good suggestion. Oh Apple, people still have Pro needs.

Display-less iMacs would be neat and might fit in a rack.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Display-less iMacs would be neat and might fit in a rack.

Welp, mocked it up and I think it's gonna work thanks guys.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

kuskus posted:

Your missing some iPad action too, you know because they are thin so rack-mount really efficiently!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

kuskus posted:

Next OP picture found right here, fill all the air gaps with iOS devices until a mouse can't get through.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I take it the 20th Anniversary Mac is there in case you need to do some heavy processing?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Just picked up a 13" MBA for work.

Now Im in the process of installing windows on it for work purposes. However I dont really need any storage other than for Windows and Office as most stuff is stored on our work server with the exception of a few documents and spreadsheets.

Therefore could I get away with just having about a 50GB partition? (its the 256gb version).

Also am I right in assuming I just use the windows version of office rather than the Mac version (which is mac OS?)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
My wife and I are trying to upgrade her original (2006, I think; first Intel model) Mac Pro's graphics card. All that seems readily available via OWC and Apple themselves is a couple related ATI cards and an obscenely expensive high end NVidia. (Or the Mac-spec'd NVidia 8800 GT which seems really hard to find these days.)

I need to do more research (scour xlr8yourmac, etc) but I'm curious if there are any well known resources for this sort of thing; how easy/reliable it is to buy regular PC-oriented GPUs and flash them to work with a Mac (not sure if that's the same process as Hackintosh people have to do, or I could go ask there); etc.

We'll probably go the easy route and buy a Radeon HD 5770, but wanted to check here first.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bob Morales posted:

$599 for a 2GB machine? Even the $799 model is hard to swallow, when after you add the mouse, keyboard, and a quality display, you're almost at the price of the base iMac.

If you already have nice KVM that you'd be replacing to get an iMac, though, the Mini is a nice deal. I got the 2.5 i5, added 8GB of RAM and an OWC SSD, and can't see how I would need anything faster.

Plus, the Mini is only slightly harder to service than a Mac Pro, and infinitely easier than the iMac.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bitprophet posted:

My wife and I are trying to upgrade her original (2006, I think; first Intel model) Mac Pro's graphics card. All that seems readily available via OWC and Apple themselves is a couple related ATI cards and an obscenely expensive high end NVidia. (Or the Mac-spec'd NVidia 8800 GT which seems really hard to find these days.)

I need to do more research (scour xlr8yourmac, etc) but I'm curious if there are any well known resources for this sort of thing; how easy/reliable it is to buy regular PC-oriented GPUs and flash them to work with a Mac (not sure if that's the same process as Hackintosh people have to do, or I could go ask there); etc.

We'll probably go the easy route and buy a Radeon HD 5770, but wanted to check here first.

IIRC the answer is "very easy, but you'll never be able to see what's going on before you boot into OSX".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fists Up posted:

Just picked up a 13" MBA for work.

Now Im in the process of installing windows on it for work purposes. However I dont really need any storage other than for Windows and Office as most stuff is stored on our work server with the exception of a few documents and spreadsheets.

Therefore could I get away with just having about a 50GB partition? (its the 256gb version).

Also am I right in assuming I just use the windows version of office rather than the Mac version (which is mac OS?)
gently caress dual-booting and partitioning, just set up a 30GB virtual disk with VirtualBox. You can even make it bigger, and have it dynamically size so it won't take up much space.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Or do boot camp and get vmware fusion so you have the choice of booting natively into windows or booting it as a vm inside osx.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Nitr0 posted:

Or do boot camp and get vmware fusion so you have the choice of booting natively into windows or booting it as a vm inside osx.

Seconding that, its what I do to get Spiceworks running. Works like a charm and pretty fast too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

bitprophet posted:

You don't actually need to flash if you can live without the grey boot screen. Buy a reference model Radeon 6870 and it will work if you're running latest Lion.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

Anyone that's been watching apple store - have upgraded minis been popping up at all? I need one with the radeon gpu.

Also, what is Apple's policy on returning refurb stuff? I am setting up HDHomerun Prime and it hates my 2009 Mini, bsods ahoy. So I'm thinking of getting a 2011 mini and trying it to see how it functions. I got a deal where I can get 12 months 0% apr through my barclaycard if I go through Apple Store so whatever.

My worries is if the 2011 BSODs the same that I'm boned and stuck with a pile of useless rear end.
Looks like the same as anything else, there doesn't appear to be a separate refurb page/section on the returns page: http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

quote:

If you want to return an item, you can ship the item back to Apple, or bring it to any U.S. Apple Store for a full refund. For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return.
As for the minis, I see them now and then. When I was shopping for one I used some auto alert thingy but I can't find it now. I did find this thing which may work if you check RSS feeds regularly.

...that said, I'm using my old 2009 mini with an HDHR Prime fine (other than Windows not liking my FW enclosure being on during startup), so it's not endemic to all of them :shobon:

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair, anything would have been cheaper than Xserves.

I personally think the Mini is one of the worst values in Mac-land, right next to the 15" MBP.

If they made the base model $499 I could get behind that. I'll even add my own RAM.
Yeah they're a bad deal except with random particular needs like space sensitive applications (where they're one of the better deals) or just replacing another computer (where all the other stuff is already accounted for). I like them cause they can be repurposed easily enough after upgrading to a new machine and have nice resale value otherwise.

kuskus posted:

How do the old Xserve CPUs compare to the current Mac mini ones? And you can fit two in a 1U rack! :v: (I assume the limited RAM would be an issue though). There's this wacky TB rack too but it's not out yet. Whenever the Ivy Bridge models come out that could be another nice bump since the biggest gains appear to be with the mobile CPUs.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Reposting this from the OS X thread, since it might be more of a hardware issue:

A couple of days ago when starting up my MacBook Pro (late-2008, 15"), the shift key was suddenly stuck. Therefore it constantly boots in safe mode and I can't log in because I use lower case letters in my password. I can override it by plugging in a USB keyboard, but as soon as I touch the MacBook's keyboard, the shift key is stuck again.

When I look at the Keyboard Viewer (I'm not sure that's what it's called in English, but I mean the graphic display of your keyboard that shows which buttons are being pressed) I can see that it's the left shift key that's the problem. When I write on the USB keyboard it isn't pressed down, but when I jump back on the MacBook keyboard, it gets stuck.

It's out of warranty but I googled the problem and noticed a couple of other people have had the same issue with the same model as mine. I'm gonna call Apple on Monday and check if they've heard of it, but has anyone here experienced the same thing?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm currently pondering a new RAID card because my current one (RocketRAID 2320) seems to keep dropping disks occasionally. Plus its OS X support is spotty lately.

Does anyone have experience with a RAID card in System 10.7? It needs to have >4 disk support and at least RAID-5. SATA3 and RAID-6 would be nice of course.

Oh, and the disks will be internal so bonus points for good old-fashioned SATA ports rather than SAS etc.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

japtor posted:

How do the old Xserve CPUs compare to the current Mac mini ones? And you can fit two in a 1U rack! :v: (I assume the limited RAM would be an issue though). There's this wacky TB rack too but it's not out yet. Whenever the Ivy Bridge models come out that could be another nice bump since the biggest gains appear to be with the mobile CPUs.
Performance is very comparable nowadays, though Minis will always have slower HDs. Still, you can't beat the performance per rack unit when you put Minis on their side.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, my goddamn 27" iMac now has two dark... smudges on the display. Removed the glass, they are actually in the panel, so now I gotta take the drat thing in. So unhappy. :\

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

Reposting this from the OS X thread, since it might be more of a hardware issue:

A couple of days ago when starting up my MacBook Pro (late-2008, 15"), the shift key was suddenly stuck. Therefore it constantly boots in safe mode and I can't log in because I use lower case letters in my password. I can override it by plugging in a USB keyboard, but as soon as I touch the MacBook's keyboard, the shift key is stuck again.

When I look at the Keyboard Viewer (I'm not sure that's what it's called in English, but I mean the graphic display of your keyboard that shows which buttons are being pressed) I can see that it's the left shift key that's the problem. When I write on the USB keyboard it isn't pressed down, but when I jump back on the MacBook keyboard, it gets stuck.

It's out of warranty but I googled the problem and noticed a couple of other people have had the same issue with the same model as mine. I'm gonna call Apple on Monday and check if they've heard of it, but has anyone here experienced the same thing?

Not that it's going to necessarily help your problem : but I had a relatable situation. I also have the late 2008 15" , and i had restored Lion to a newly installed SSD. Everything worked great for a while, until one day it seemed that the spacebar was being held down all the time. Couldn't log in, couldn't do much of anything. Come to find out that it had preserved my connection to my Apple Bluetooth keyboard, which was in a pile on a counter with a book leaning on it.

Two loving days it took me to figure that out.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I've been been playing SWTOR on my 2011 15 inch Macbook Pro, and I'm starting to get a bit concerned about heat. Has anyone picked up a cooling pad for a unibody MBP? I've been looking at the laptop megathread and there are a few suggestions there, but it seems like the fans are in a tricky location on the Macbook. This one got a recent plug, but I was hoping for something a bit more size appropriate. Any advice?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Do you play on your lap? What about putting it on a stand?

V V V yes, I think it is :)

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2012

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I play on a desk; I think I'm just worried about making the graphics card work hard for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Is that unnecessary paranoia on my part, as long as the ventilation isn't obstructed and I don't live in a sweat lodge?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Colonel Pancreas posted:

I play on a desk; I think I'm just worried about making the graphics card work hard for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Is that unnecessary paranoia on my part, as long as the ventilation isn't obstructed and I don't live in a sweat lodge?

Having done significant amounts of gaming on my MBP, I think you are overreacting.

Honestly, this whole "cooling stand" fad is a sad testament to the lovely quality/design of generic gaming laptops...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Having done significant amounts of gaming on my MBP, I think you are overreacting.

Honestly, this whole "cooling stand" fad is a sad testament to the lovely quality/design of generic gaming laptops...

Yeah, MBPs run hot and that's just how it is. They won't damage themselves barring defective hardware.

I do run smcFanControl, though, and set my fans at 4-6k rpm before doing things liable to run the temperature up for extended periods of time. But that's more to eliminate the rubberbanding I've noticed the fans tend to do and keep them and the temperature stable.