Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wasn't sure where else to post this but the cover for Necrocomiccon's new album is too great. I'm not sure if they've been talked about here but it's a two man 80's cover metal band. All their poo poo is out there for free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drifter287 posted:

New Swallow the Sun video dropped yesterday, featuring the singer from Nightwish. You guys seen it yet? It's a little different but I dig it.

http://truecultheavymetal.com/blog1.php/2012/01/05/premiere-swallow-the-sun-unveil-the-video-to-cathedral-walls

Really don't like the Nightwish singer being there, but otherwise it's pretty good. Same problem here as on Nightwish albums, she sounds like her vocals have been run through so many computers I can't tell what she actually sounds like or if she is an actual human and not a particularly hungry cat someone let into the studio.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wasn't sure where else to post this but the cover for Necrocomiccon's new album is too great. I'm not sure if they've been talked about here but it's a two man 80's cover metal band. All their poo poo is out there for free.

"- The Steve Winwood cover is a tribute to Dennis Reynolds of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia"

Welp, I'm sold. It's a pretty hilarious album and aside from the fake bass drum it sounds pretty good too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah, I mean it's hard to geek out for an idea like that which has been done quite a bit but they're good enough to be the go-to guys for it for me now. The medley of Girls just wanna have fun -> She Bop -> Time after time they end the new one with and the "seperate ways" cover are killer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

IRQ posted:

Really don't like the Nightwish singer being there, but otherwise it's pretty good. Same problem here as on Nightwish albums, she sounds like her vocals have been run through so many computers I can't tell what she actually sounds like or if she is an actual human and not a particularly hungry cat someone let into the studio.

This is true about her vocals, but that's just how STS likes it. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaEqQThg1_0 That same singer, Aleah, guested on the intro track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0m0HMlmqMg and one other apparently.

Anyways this new album is going to be great. Although, I did tab out of the video because it was pretty lame. I don't even know what was up with the yoga / interpretive dancers.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So like what's the problem that everyone has with Lars (aside from being a Danish twat)? I was listening to HoS and Call of Ktulu (and some other stuff that came up on shuffle) and his drumming sounds OK to me. What is it that I'm missing?

Don't say ears.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

So like what's the problem that everyone has with Lars (aside from being a Danish twat)? I was listening to HoS and Call of Ktulu (and some other stuff that came up on shuffle) and his drumming sounds OK to me. What is it that I'm missing?

Don't say ears.

He's a Danish twat.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is loving sweet, I can't stop laughing at the lionel ritchie album cover Welcome to Hello.

But it's depressing too because I heard these songs when they were new :(

captainOrbital posted:

Don't say ears.

Now go listen to every other thrash band and compare the drumming. One sounds like a metronome, the rest are exciting. His poo poo drumming slows everything that band does down. Listen to Mechanix and 4 Horsemen... He's second rate and that's too generous.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

Don't say ears.

His drumming on the old stuff was merely adequate, rather than being exciting or really adding anything, and nowadays he sounds like he doesn't practice and can't keep up.

Also, Danish twat

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Want to get excited on a Friday? Treat yourself to the brand new Napalm Death track, "Leper Colony". It is really bass-heavy and absolutely crushes. February 28th cannot come soon enough.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

captainOrbital posted:

His style is the par for the course for mid-80's thrash, and he never improved or even tried to do anything different since then. Metal drumming has become incredibly demanding and intense over the course of the last two decades and he does neither.

Take an album of theirs and think about what it might sound like with a modern drummer who tries. Even if it's unfair to use one of their early albums, use a recent one like Death Magnetic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Turk February posted:

Want to get excited on a Friday? Treat yourself to the brand new Napalm Death track, "Leper Colony". It is really bass-heavy and absolutely crushes. February 28th cannot come soon enough.

Holy poo poo this owns.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

When you listen to him play he's always about half a beat off from the rest of the band. This can be a conscience decision, for instance I saw a video where Devin Townsend was talking about how he prefers the instruments to be just a bit off, too further achieve a "wall of sound," but Lars is doing it completely through lack of skill.

He hits the drums way too hard for his skill level and the tempo for his songs. I remember watching a video saying that they had to change his heads on his toms every fill he did on AJFA... I hit very hard and even still I could never do that.

A drummer is supposed to set the tempo, be confident, and basically run the show as far as live performances go. He does none of this. I compare him to a high school drummer just learning the ropes and they kinda don't care about anything except, "I play drums, for METALLICA."

Also, I read that it took him upwards of a year to record the Black album. Have you heard that album? (I know everyone has, duh). A child can (and probably has) play Nothing else matters perfectly.

He's not good and he definitely has hit the musical lottery.

Edit: I must say the reason why I became a drummer is because of him though. When I was young and heard Kill em all for the first time my mind was loving blown. So, I don't have a weird hate for him. I just realized my hero was a shithead and a bad musician.

The drummers that Agalloch use fall into the same category, just weird off time fills and honestly its the worst part about Agalloch.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHAxjmIv6o&feature=player_detailpage#t=252s Here's the video with Devin Towsend talking about recording and being "on beat."

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 7, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

captainOrbital posted:

Don't say ears.

His drumming is, just as you said, ok. That's about the best you can sat for it. And even then it's only ok in context. It's par for metal being made 20+ years ago, but a lot has changed since then, and while I personally think Metallica branched off into alt-rock or whatever back in the 90s and the comparison may be unwarranted, he certainly can't stand up to even kind of bad metal drummers today. I mean sure, he could carry the beat for Nickelback or something perfectly fine, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

Also he's such a loving twat. I got nothing against Danes though.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Turk February posted:

I just came here to post this. I like it! Also, Liberteer released a song (Matt Widener from Cretin)
And so did Naglfar

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
A+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svV9usWliLk

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

captainOrbital posted:

Don't say ears.

I'm as big a Metallica fanboy as you'll ever meet (I actually made it all the way through LuLu), but Lars as a metal drummer is average, and post-Black Album is not very good. I think most metal fans will agree that RtL, MoP and AJFA are three seminal thrash albums, but the most challenging song on any of those for Lars was Damage, Inc. It's challenging because it's 5:30 of super fast, but there's nothing truly groundbreaking about his drumming. It's textbook 80's thrash.

I won't even talk about modern Lars because Metallica has lost all relevance in pushing metal forward. I'll be a fan until I die (and Death Magnetic was a good album aside from the production issues) but Jason should have stayed and Lars should have left.

As long as James and Kirk stay in the band, they can have as many bassists and drummers as they want.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Is this the thread where I freak the gently caress out because Meshuggah announced their new album for March 27 2012? Because let me tell you something

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
My top albums for 2011:

Symphony X - Iconoclast (best by far)
Trivium - In Waves (I have no idea why, but I really loving like it)
Fleshgod Apocalypse - The Agony (amazing stuff, perfect blend of strings and metal)
Times of Grace - Hymn of a Broken Man (excellent album, well written and to the point)
Megadeth - Thirteen (only because of New World Order)

Also good:
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
Machine Head - Locust
The Haunten - Unseen (if you listen to it 100 times, it grows on you I swear!)
In Flames - Sounds of a Playground (In Flames can do me no wrong)
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (the only rock band I still enjoy)

Sucked:
Chimaira - Age of Hell (age of hell indeed)
Amorphis - The Beginning of Times (it sucked because it was average)
Anthrax - Worship Music (I just don't get it)
Devin Townsend - Whatever soft crap he released (Ocrean Machine & Terria were awesome, this stuff is not)

Any decent thrash albums that I may have missed this year?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

The Capitulator posted:

Any decent thrash albums that I may have missed this year?

Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination is black thrash.
Vektor - Outer Isolation.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

CM Funk posted:

Is this the thread where I freak the gently caress out because Meshuggah announced their new album for March 27 2012? Because let me tell you something

It's like Christmas is coming at the end of EVERY month now :allears:

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Defiant Sally posted:

Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination is black thrash.
Vektor - Outer Isolation.

Sweet thanks. I checked out Skeletowitch before, couldn't really get into it. Wasn't too keen on the production either, I mostly like my thrash thick and compressed.

Listening to Vektor now, sounds pretty 'out there' as far as thrash goes but the solo on Fast Paced Society just made my day, so these guys will definitely be getting more spins.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

The Capitulator posted:

Devin Townsend - Whatever soft crap he released (Ocrean Machine & Terria were awesome, this stuff is not)

Did you not hear Deconstruction?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The drummers that Agalloch use fall into the same category, just weird off time fills and honestly its the worst part about Agalloch.
It's funny that you say that, because as far as I know they have had two drummers for album stuff. John Haughm (vocalist) did all but the most recent album, which was done by Aesop from Worm Ouroboros (also does a music blog). They are completely different kinds of drummers, so it's odd to hear you lump them together like that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Eh, the original is perfection -- this cover was unneeded.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's funny that you say that, because as far as I know they have had two drummers for album stuff. John Haughm (vocalist) did all but the most recent album, which was done by Aesop from Worm Ouroboros (also does a music blog). They are completely different kinds of drummers, so it's odd to hear you lump them together like that.

Yeah that's a really strange thing to say. The drumming on Marrow of the Spirit sounds very different from all their previous albums (in a kinda bad way) and I guess you've just explained why.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you listen to You Were but a Ghost in My Arms the bass drum is really squirrely here. I'm not saying he's bad at all, I really enjoy Agalloch, but it illustrates the kind of thing Lars does by being on the beat and still kinda half-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTzPihhzmQY&feature=player_detailpage#t=42s

Also, the blast beat in the beginning of "Into the Painted Grey" is really weird sounding. It's probably due to the production with the bass drum being so forward in the mix and lack of triggers. As I'm listening to this song more closely, I feel that this is an actual conscious decision. I remember reading they wanted to keep an "analog" sound, which I would assume has very little post-processing and things like making your left and right foot hit at or around the same velocity/strength isn't that big of a deal.

I don't give Lars a lot of room for error, for being in the biggest metal band in America he should at least take some lessons and take some pride and get rid of those stupid loving Ahead sticks. They're so bad. Lars is a business man first (napster withstanding), he saw music gold in James Hetfield and did whatever he could to be apart of that magic. He's a drummer second and it shows.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 7, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I'm just glad I don't know a loving thing about playing any instruments or mixing music, so things like weird playing styles or whatnot don't bother me and I can just focus on the music.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

co199 posted:

I'm as big a Metallica fanboy as you'll ever meet (I actually made it all the way through LuLu), but Lars as a metal drummer is average, and post-Black Album is not very good. I think most metal fans will agree that RtL, MoP and AJFA are three seminal thrash albums, but the most challenging song on any of those for Lars was Damage, Inc. It's challenging because it's 5:30 of super fast, but there's nothing truly groundbreaking about his drumming. It's textbook 80's thrash.

I won't even talk about modern Lars because Metallica has lost all relevance in pushing metal forward. I'll be a fan until I die (and Death Magnetic was a good album aside from the production issues) but Jason should have stayed and Lars should have left.

As long as James and Kirk stay in the band, they can have as many bassists and drummers as they want.

The problem is that Lars is required for Metallica. He's an absolute oval office, but his cuntishness is the reason why they got so successful. His willingness to step on somebody else in order to get that little bit further ahead is probably why we know about Metallica more than we do any other Bay Area thrash band.

Sure, their music went commercial with Load\Reload, but I actually argue that Black is pretty loving metal. Holier Than Thou? Through The Never? Struggle Within? The God That Failed is basically an off-cut from AJFA and Wherever I May Roam is just a loving awesome song it doesn't matter what the gently caress it is. Sad But True (while painfully overplayed) is heavy as hell and so is My Friend Of Misery.

Besides, they were expected to win a Grammy for One. I mean...if you're winning grammys, you're probably reasonably commercial aren't you? All of their marketability comes from Lars' direction, but the awesome music comes from James.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Nordick posted:

Man, I'm just glad I don't know a loving thing about playing any instruments or mixing music, so things like weird playing styles or whatnot don't bother me and I can just focus on the music.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

As for thrash albums, this thread turned me onto the album "Forbidden World" by Antichrist that was released this year, and holy poo poo, it is ridiculously good if you like raw old-school thrash.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
So I went to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this evening and this commercial played before the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cm8C1TpPkUQ

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vintersorg posted:

Eh, the original is perfection -- this cover was unneeded.

Yeah it would be impossible to top the original, especially with Chucks vocals, but I love seeing bands take GOOD stabs at old masterpieces. They've also covered How Could I? and I cant wait to hear that one. I am totally okay with my favorite bands covering other favorite bands.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So I went to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this evening and this commercial played before the movie.

This is still my favorite metal-themed car commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQin6rnTzYQ

The comment "ENTRAILS RIPPED FROM A VOLVO'S TRUNK" loving slayed me.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Turk February posted:

That comment is amazing, that commercial is amazing. I think my amusement came from watching a car commercial, then bam, Falconer out of loving nowhere.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Turk February posted:

Clicked, initially paused and went "eh, I've seen this before" and then unpaused because this rules regardless.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Besides, they were expected to win a Grammy for One. I mean...if you're winning grammys, you're probably reasonably commercial aren't you? All of their marketability comes from Lars' direction, but the awesome music comes from James.

Maybe in an alternate dimension where they won that Grammy instead of Jethro Tull things are different.

Things are better.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Good to see that Falconer is getting their name out. Maybe we'll finally get a US tour.

Also, how many marketing execs went "Who?", but are now listening to Falconer on the drive to work?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Has any one heard of Subsignal? I just found out about them and I was surprised to say the least. This is some great stuff even if it isn't that heavy. Their new album is definitely in my top 5 for 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Izjn9XJ4Y

The lead singer and guitarist are from a now defunct band called Sieges Even if that helps any one, so I guess I need to check them out next.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Falconer out of (and in the middle of) nowhere.

This marginally reduces my dislike of Mini drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

IRQ posted:

Falconer out of (and in the middle of) nowhere.

This marginally reduces my dislike of Mini drivers.

Hahahah I was wondering how Falconer was going to play into that and it was awesome.