Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Star Warrior X posted:

Whoops! I'm talking about this one.

Wow, it's like a DriveCam for your phone! Now add front camera capability, the ability to see the feed from the cameras, and recording straight to SD (so that the file is more likely to be recoverable if the phone is destroyed in a crash), GPS, and the ability to livestream and you'd have something worth a lot of money to a lot of folks. Very cool as is, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Splashtop (non-HD) is free on Amazon today.

Anyone actually been able to get this to work? I've set it up on my phone and PC, but it keeps saying "Connect failed".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TShields posted:

Anyone actually been able to get this to work? I've set it up on my phone and PC, but it keeps saying "Connect failed".

Just do teamviewer.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Splizwarf posted:

A friend of mine wants his wifi to connect automatically anytime he's at home but to only connect when prompted to out-of-the-house wifi, like his work network. Is this something Juice Defender's good for or is something else more perfect? Free is better, but if this is simple with Tasker that'd be good news since he's on the fence about Tasker already. I know Woofi is probably ideal for this but he's looking for more of a Swiss Army knife.

https://market.android.com/details?id=pl.polidea.y5 is what I use.

Its no swiss army knife, but it does what you want perfectly.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Splizwarf posted:

Does it turn on when you run?

Shaking only turns it on from the lock screen, it won't turn on with the screen off.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Is slideit any good, or should I just wait for swype to support the galaxy nexus? Its on the market for .99 right now.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

thegreatcodfish posted:

Is slideit any good, or should I just wait for swype to support the galaxy nexus? Its on the market for .99 right now.

Having used both I'm not really fond of SlideIT. I tried it for a while, it's skinnable and it works ok but it just doesn't really compare to Swype in my opinion. I ended up going back to Swype. As a stop gap it's probably ok if you're willing to spend a buck.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Tiny Flashlight was just updated with an option to activate by shaking while at the lock screen. It works on my Galaxy Nexus and makes it much more convenient than using a widget or shortcut.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight

I was excited about this until it turned out they didn't take things like WidgetLocker into account.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Tiny Flashlight was just updated with an option to activate by shaking while at the lock screen. It works on my Galaxy Nexus and makes it much more convenient than using a widget or shortcut.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight

Aha, that's why it requires new permissions. Kick rear end.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

hooah posted:

I was excited about this until it turned out they didn't take things like WidgetLocker into account.

Ah, I'm guessing it doesn't register since it's not really the Android lock screen.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a way to make tiny flashlight stay on after you turn the screen off like teslaled can? I just installed and can't find anything in the settings.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have run into a problem with the Google+ messenger (former Huddle) lately - I receive notifications about new messages, and when I go to the list of chats and select one of the conversations, I am always taken back to the list of chats after a short loading screen.

My phone is kind of a low spec entry level smart phone (Huawei ideos x3, if it matters), but I should have enough free RAM available for the task.

I tried removing and re-installing Google+, but no dice - I just can't open a conversation, I keep getting thrown back to the list of active chats, without any error messages whatsoever.

I tried googling the issue, but with no results that match the problem.

Any ideas?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Splizwarf posted:

A friend of mine wants his wifi to connect automatically anytime he's at home but to only connect when prompted to out-of-the-house wifi, like his work network. Is this something Juice Defender's good for or is something else more perfect? Free is better, but if this is simple with Tasker that'd be good news since he's on the fence about Tasker already. I know Woofi is probably ideal for this but he's looking for more of a Swiss Army knife.

e: nevermind on Juice Defender specifically, he has an SGSII and says it rapes SGSII (AT&T) batteries for some reason. So, other suggestions.

Does it turn on when you run?
He's wrong, I have a SGSII on AT&T and pre Juice my battery was crap. With Juice it's amazing now.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Radbot posted:

Wow, it's like a DriveCam for your phone! Now add front camera capability, the ability to see the feed from the cameras, and recording straight to SD (so that the file is more likely to be recoverable if the phone is destroyed in a crash), GPS, and the ability to livestream and you'd have something worth a lot of money to a lot of folks. Very cool as is, though.

Great suggestions! For GPS, we have a companion app, CRADAR, which sends your location to a friend if an impact is detected.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

thegreatcodfish posted:

I tried SlideIT and it works ok but I never use it. I'm really psyched for Swype at the end of the month though.

quote:

Good news! Official ICS support is near. Final tweaks and testing should be done in time for an anticipated end-of-month beta update.

https://twitter.com/!/Swype

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I haven't bought anything from the Market yet so I'm curious how does the 15-minute refund window works. Do they charge you immediately and then refund you if you choose to do it or do they wait 15 minutes to charge your card?

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

thegreatcodfish posted:

I prefer slideit to swype. I started with sliedit so that might be why, though. Main reason I prefer slideit is when I go with an incorrect word, hitting delete takes out the whole word in one go rather than having to hit delete for every character. Note that I only spent five minutes with swype before deciding to go back to slideit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

hooah posted:

But since you're using Widgetlocker, can't you just make a slider that boots the flashlight app anyway? I'd assume this app's for people without a configurable lockscreen.

Star Warrior X posted:

Great suggestions! For GPS, we have a companion app, CRADAR, which sends your location to a friend if an impact is detected.

How does this work, specifically? Would be bad to send an emergency text to a loved one if I just dropped my phone. Is there a "cancel-me" countdown after the impact or something?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to organize apps in a folder with Go Launcher EX?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wagonburner posted:

Is there a way to make tiny flashlight stay on after you turn the screen off like teslaled can? I just installed and can't find anything in the settings.

If you enable the shake to turn on function it stays on after the screen is off. Totally a kick rear end feature. I love that you can get stuff like that with Android. When my iPhone was jailbroken I had it set to turn on the light by pressing both volume keys at once but this is much more convenient (and works ootb).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Steriletom posted:

I prefer slideit to swype. I started with sliedit so that might be why, though. Main reason I prefer slideit is when I go with an incorrect word, hitting delete takes out the whole word in one go rather than having to hit delete for every character. Note that I only spent five minutes with swype before deciding to go back to slideit.
Swype deletes words at a time if you hold the backspace key. It'd be nicer if you could swipe from right to left to delete words to be honest, but what can you do.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow. Typing this with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected to my phone. Not terribly useful but I can see this being very handy if I were to connect it to a TV.

Is there any way to emulate the home button with a Bluetooth keyboard? The escape key works as a back button most of the time.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 7, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Swype deletes words at a time if you hold the backspace key. It'd be nicer if you could swipe from right to left to delete words to be honest, but what can you do.

How would this be distinguishable from Swyping right to left to spell a word (like "la")?

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

How does this work, specifically? Would be bad to send an emergency text to a loved one if I just dropped my phone. Is there a "cancel-me" countdown after the impact or something?

Exactly that. The length of the countdown is user-definable, as is the impact sensitivity. The countdown offers both time to cancel a false alarm, and time for the GPS to get an accurate fix. It can be canceled either by pressing the "I'm OK" button, or by moving more than 20 feet (so if you are mountain biking or similar, bumps in the trail can be ignored).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I think I might've figured out a solution to my Market woes. I did some digging on XDA (sigh) and it seems other people are experiencing similar issues. The reason freezing/deleting the updater isn't working is because that functionality was integrated in the Market .apk itself at some point, so if I could only figure out at which version that happened, flashing the previous one and freezing the updater should presumably work.

I realise I probably should've just bit the bullet and invested my time in switching smoothly to ICS, but this poo poo has pissed me off enough to try to find a solution in case others who can't just update run into the same problem. (And knowing my luck, it'll probably persist in ICS. :suicide:)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How would this be distinguishable from Swyping right to left to spell a word (like "la")?
Make it go from Smiley to Q?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Steriletom posted:

That describes my experience too. But I also think Slideit's keyboard layout is better than Swype's, plus it's skinnable so I got one that is completely barebones. I also don't like the way Swype maps multiple poo poo to a long press.

I really wish I could just use sliding input on the stock keyboard. I don't see why it's not an option.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Wow. Typing this with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected to my phone. Not terribly useful but I can see this being very handy if I were to connect it to a TV.

Is there any way to emulate the home button with a Bluetooth keyboard? The escape key works as a back button most of the time.

How did you pair and connect your keyboard? I've been trying various apps to do this for several days without any luck. Please tell me the secret. I am running on a rooted 2.2 tablet.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Is there a good app out there that you can simultaneously post to twitter and facebook from? My mom is trying to get her business' social media going, and wants to be able to post little blurbs from her phone, and have it upload the same thing (with attached pictures sometimes) to Twitter and Facebook

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Make it go from Smiley to Q?

That just doesn't seem easier than holding down the backspace button until the correct amount of words are deleted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lelandjs posted:

Try pressing the Windows key.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Mantle posted:

How did you pair and connect your keyboard? I've been trying various apps to do this for several days without any luck. Please tell me the secret. I am running on a rooted 2.2 tablet.

I bought a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and I was having problems with pairing. What I had to do was enter a passkey of my choosing and while they try to pair type the passkey in on the keyboard and hit enter. Hope it works for you.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Samsung Mesmerize

Any way I can make it so apps like Facebook and AVG aren't constantly running in the background? I'll manually shut them down in Running Services and have turned Background Data off but they keep popping up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Install Gentoo posted:

Try pressing the Windows key.

It's an Apple Bluetooth keyboard soooooo

[Edit: Tried hitting the Apple key anyway. Didn't work. The volume and media keys work though so I'll take it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 8, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to find out when Android apps go on sale, and which ones? Besides this thread I mean.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

MentosMan posted:

Is there a good app out there that you can simultaneously post to twitter and facebook from? My mom is trying to get her business' social media going, and wants to be able to post little blurbs from her phone, and have it upload the same thing (with attached pictures sometimes) to Twitter and Facebook

I don't have an app., but I know Twitter itself is capable of linking to Facebook in such a way that everything you post on Facebook is automatically posted to Twitter. I used it to post to a student organization's accounts and it's pretty slick.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

C-Euro posted:

Is there a way to find out when Android apps go on sale, and which ones? Besides this thread I mean.

Not as far as I can tell. I've asked this several times in several different communities and am always met with stony silence.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

C-Euro posted:

AppBrain has an "on sale" filter. The market per se doesn't support something like that, sadly.

\/\/\/ Yeah, it kind of sucks. It's the best you can currently get on Android, though, until somebody finally ports AppZapper.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 8, 2012

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Cardiovorax posted:

AppBrain has an "on sale" filter. The market per se doesn't support something like that, sadly.

Unfortunately, the AppBrain "on sale" filter doesn't seem to be something you can apply to your personal app lists, which makes it rather useless for finding out when an app you want goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

FuzzyPickles posted:

I bought a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and I was having problems with pairing. What I had to do was enter a passkey of my choosing and while they try to pair type the passkey in on the keyboard and hit enter. Hope it works for you.

Did you have to download or run any bluetooth helper programs? What OS version are you running? I can get to pair but not connected and it's frustrating the hell out of me since the keyboard works fine pairing with my iPhone, iPad, and windows pc.

• Locked thread