Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fooley posted:

Kaido right now but I guess there's Mari and Black Frost to choose from too.

In that case, switch Atsuro with Kaido and give him the same skills, Atsuro is a bro but Kaido is MUCH stronger than him, and give Black Frost healing stuff and whatever element you can't give Naoya. Samrecarm is a must also.

Obviously be sure the demons you have can counter whatever weakness your characters have. Its a good idea to have at least one demon with pierce+deathbound on the MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Zandyne (or Wind Dance might do more ultimately I think)+Force Boost is good on a magic MC, too, since a number of the last-day bosses have a force weakness.

You can swap Atsuro out for Kaido, since IIRC he has more strength, and Black Frost has a nice set of resistances if you put resist/null/reflect force on him (plus he gets the best lines). Also, reflect phys is good to have on your physical guy since it's the only way to make sure deathbound+pierce won't gently caress you over on the phys-reflecting enemies.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Cool, thanks everyone. I just want to say if there's one good thing about this path, I finally got rid of Midori. That's another question about DS2, is there anyone like her in that? Or at lest not as bad?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If you're still open for advice, I'd say I prefer Atsuro over Kaido, because his merely lowish magic means you can put a minor magic skill on him and not have a redundant Multi/Solo target severe physical damage skill. Kaido, due to his insanely low magic, can only equip physical skills, and once you get a multi and a solo, well, there you go.
Mari is the best spellcaster in the game, with the exception of a magic oriented MC.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Technique posted:

I used to, but then the mismanagement went from "comical" to "haha, holy poo poo, these guys have no idea how to patch anything".

It's a really interesting game at its core, but it's pretty much destroyed by CAVE being terrible goddamn developers and Aeria being worthless at localizing things. Seriously, they managed to gently caress up the translation on several pieces of (cash shop) equipment, meaning that there was just a blank field where the stats should be.

Also, levelling up past level 91 is pretty much the most horribly grindy thing ever. Same for raising demons.

Wait, the SMT MMO was developed by Cave, the bullet hell guys?

I had no idea they worked on anything that wasn't a shmup. Is this a separate team, or what?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fooley posted:

I picked Naoya's, can anyone tell me what I should stick on my heroes for the last day? It took me forever to finally beat Belial by loading my magic MC with as many ice/ice boosting abilities I could and the ability that give you a chance to repeat actions, chaos wave, and getting one of the weaker mobs between us so Belial couldn't attack. AND I still had to chip him down with physical attacks. As drat satisfying as it felt to have finally gotten a working combo, I'm sort of at the point where I just want to finish.

Also, I saw Devil Survivor 2 in the Gamestop ad. I think someone got it already, how is it?

Belial was easy as poo poo for me. I fused a Ragnda with Shield All and Drain and whatever Megami is around that level, it had Mabufudyne. MC had Bufudyne, Ice Amp, and Anti-Fire. Immediately fire off Shield All, watch as he gives you three free extra turns, flay the poo poo out of him with Bufudyne and the Ragnda just sits there draining away. For best results, keep someone like Yuzu nearby and have her heal up the MC/revive demons on the off chance he fucks someone up.

Though the Amane battle is pissing me off. Every loving enemy has a dragon and I can't do anything without getting hit like 5 times at range and watch all of my demons die. Hell, I easily killed Amane only to get mobbed by all the little shitheads in that stage. I also still use Atsuro, but that's because Kaido doesn't have enough magic for me to give him Healing on top of Deathbound/Pierce/Drain Hit/Phys Amp.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

nrook posted:

Wait, the SMT MMO was developed by Cave, the bullet hell guys?

I had no idea they worked on anything that wasn't a shmup. Is this a separate team, or what?

The reason you had no idea they made anything else than shmups is because they kinda suck at making anything else than shmups. Not that their shmups are great, either.

In fact, when i think about it, they're honestly pretty poo poo all in all, which explains a lot of things.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm in September for Persona 4, and I'm leveled to around 45. Am I going to be all set for future dungeons, or should I do some grinding? Persona 4's format is a lot different from P3 in that going to the TV is an opportunity cost thing vs building up my S.Links, so as a result I haven't done nearly as much in there as I did in Persona 3.

Then again I ground that game into oblivion until all difficulty was erased (I fought the endboss at level 95 on my first playthrough), so I might have to get used to the idea of a game being challenging.

Also is the late game like P3 where you can use any party you want, or will I be at a disadvantage not using certain characters? I've been using Chie, Yukiko and Kanji almost exclusively.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem

Strange Matter posted:

Also is the late game like P3 where you can use any party you want, or will I be at a disadvantage not using certain characters? I've been using Chie, Yukiko and Kanji almost exclusively.

I haven't played the game for about a year now but I recall Teddy being the only character who lost usefulness in the late game. And Naoto but she was never really useful to begin with.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

I'm in September for Persona 4, and I'm leveled to around 45. Am I going to be all set for future dungeons, or should I do some grinding? Persona 4's format is a lot different from P3 in that going to the TV is an opportunity cost thing vs building up my S.Links, so as a result I haven't done nearly as much in there as I did in Persona 3.

Then again I ground that game into oblivion until all difficulty was erased (I fought the endboss at level 95 on my first playthrough), so I might have to get used to the idea of a game being challenging.

Chie, Yukiko and Kanji are fine. Get everything done while you can because the game ends earlier in the year than P3.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea you can use whomever you want in P4, I was using that exact same party for my first run.

A healer is important and you got that covered.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Nessa posted:

Chie, Yukiko and Kanji are fine. Get everything done while you can because the game ends earlier in the year than P3.
Yeah I read on Before I Play that the Dojimas are cut off on December 2, and everyone else around December 22. I should be fine with them, it just took me forever to get my Expression up to Enthralling. I already maxed out Yukiko and the other two are pretty close as well.

Gotta max out that Devil S.Link too :pervert:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there a more precise estimate of when Devil Survivor 2 NA is coming out than "2012"? I imported a Japanese copy and would like to actually know what happened.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a more precise estimate of when Devil Survivor 2 NA is coming out than "2012"? I imported a Japanese copy and would like to actually know what happened.

It is coming out in February 2012. Trailer with date.

e: Pretty much dude.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 5, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"February"

Amazon says February 28.

e: Same time posting buddies.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 5, 2012

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I watched a few videos and it looks interesting, although a little too similar to DS1. Tokyo in crisis, foresight of deaths, battles/area navigation/conversations, even where you fight in this video looks exactly like the one where the Belial (and I think a few others) take place in DS1. The female character even has the same slumped posture with tits threatening to float off her chest as Yuzu.

Off topic, but do DS emulators do the bottom screen by just clicking?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Ice Cream Social posted:

I haven't played the game for about a year now but I recall Teddy being the only character who lost usefulness in the late game. And Naoto but she was never really useful to begin with.
Funny, in my second P4 game the party has finally emerged. I never take anyone into dungeons but Yukiko, Kanji and Teddie. In my experience they are more useful than other characters.

Take Chie for example. I had her in the endboss fight in my first game, but she was so unbalanced. Her strongest spell was Bufula if I remember correctly. Teddie gets Mabufudyne on level 67.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph
You're pretty well-set in P4 just so long as you take a healer (and even if you don't, the MC can handle it).

Yosuke: Jack of all Trades, except he's really good at most of them. Good spellcaster, buffer, and can even do physical or weak healing in a pinch. Plus he gets Dekaja. Always felt he was the most useful member.

Chie: Strong in the beginning of the game, weak in the middle, strong at the end. She gets Power Charge + God Hand, so she can be your damage dealer.

Yukiko: Strong mage and healer, but if the enemy is strong against fire, she can't do much.

Kanji: Stats are built like a physical fighter, but his move set is like a mage. I thought he was the weakest, but he can still do physical damage well. And his HP is nice.

Teddie: More versatile than Yukiko since he has some buffs in addition to damage and healing, but Yukiko's a stronger mage, I think.

Naoto: He's the best character for dungeon crawling (due to instant death spells) and the worst for boss fights (due to no real consistent damage spells). He gets Magic Charge, even though he has no real use for it (but it would have made Yosuke, Yukiko, or Teddie broken, so I guess someone had to have it).

The "best" team would probably be Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko/Teddie, but you'll probably be fine with anyone.

RedBoot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 5, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RedBoot posted:

Naoto: He's the best character for dungeon crawling (due to instant death spells) and the worst for boss fights (due to no real consistent damage spells). He gets Magic Charge, even though he has no real use for it (but it would have made Yosuke, Yukiko, or Teddie broken, so I guess someone had to have it).

Naoto learns Megidolaon, so Magic Charge takes the edge off the (extremely high) MP cost.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always found Chie to be worth bringing along if just for her absurdly overpowered follow-up attack, Galactic Punt I think the name is. It doesn't do damage, it just kills the enemy outright (or at least removes them from combat), with no resistance checks or anything.

The best part is that it can effect ANYTHING so long as there is more than one opponent on the field. Even mini-bosses. The first time I got to the Void Quest dungeon, the mini-boss that keeps summoning unlimited enemies was doing a fantastic job of kicking my rear end, until Chie decided that enough was enough and just kicked him out of combat, leaving only a single, very normal enemy to deal with. That was the exact moment I knew she was never, ever leaving my active team again.

vividArcanity
Dec 28, 2011

SHSL Manly Tears

Ravana posted:

I've always found Chie to be worth bringing along if just for her absurdly overpowered follow-up attack, Galactic Punt I think the name is. It doesn't do damage, it just kills the enemy outright (or at least removes them from combat), with no resistance checks or anything.

The best part is that it can effect ANYTHING so long as there is more than one opponent on the field. Even mini-bosses. The first time I got to the Void Quest dungeon, the mini-boss that keeps summoning unlimited enemies was doing a fantastic job of kicking my rear end, until Chie decided that enough was enough and just kicked him out of combat, leaving only a single, very normal enemy to deal with. That was the exact moment I knew she was never, ever leaving my active team again.

I think this is why most people argue that Chie is a better physical fighter than Kanji is, but then again, I've never seen Kanji's follow-up because I'm in Void Quest and managed to completely miss the start of his social link :suicide:.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

vividArcanity posted:

I think this is why most people argue that Chie is a better physical fighter than Kanji is

Well, that and Power Charge. At the endgame when they both have all their best skills, Kanji can technically do more average damage per round by spamming Primal Force than Chie can with Power Charge/God Hand, but he'll burn HP much faster.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

vividArcanity posted:

I think this is why most people argue that Chie is a better physical fighter than Kanji is, but then again, I've never seen Kanji's follow-up because I'm in Void Quest and managed to completely miss the start of his social link :suicide:.
Kanji's follow-up attack is Atomic Press and is probably the second best after Chie's Galactic Punt. He lets out a shockwave that will crit several enemies at once. It's random but against large numbers of shadows it can be a godsend.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thuryl posted:

Well, that and Power Charge. At the endgame when they both have all their best skills, Kanji can technically do more average damage per round by spamming Primal Force than Chie can with Power Charge/God Hand, but he'll burn HP much faster.

True but on the higher end bosses you'll be healing almost every turn so this isn't much of an issue. Kanji IS stronger than Chie even without power charge, hell his standard attack can do a lot of damage, he also has the 2nd most useful move right move behind galactic punt.

Also with rainy equipment and the potpourri accessory(both found in the void dungeon) you can raise his agility to be higher than anyone in your party and give him a decent ma stat thus eliminating his 2 weaknesses. I also prefer Kanji to Chie because I can just spam his phys attacks and not worry about missing, Power charge+God Hand missing kinda sucks. Kanji also gets Matarukaja.

Yea Chie falls behind in the magic department but that's not her role, its all phys for her, even if she kinda sucks at it and has black spot as her strongest phys move for tons of levels.

To be honest I found the most effective party to be Yosuke, Teddie and Kanji, all 3 buffs in the first turn? Yes please. Good element split among the group and great move list, only thing Teddie doesn't get is Salvation and the MC can do that in a pinch.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
The problem I had with Teddie is he keeps a weakness the entire game, which becomes crippling when every other character gets rid of their's.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I used a party of Chie, Kanji and Yukiko, and all three of them seemed very underwhelming the entire time. In general, Chie's attacks did eh damage, Yukiko did eh healing and Kanji barely ever hit anything with his normal attack. I'm not really sure what it is, they just felt really weak compared to the parties in P3.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Cream Social posted:

The problem I had with Teddie is he keeps a weakness the entire game, which becomes crippling when every other character gets rid of their's.

Yukiko has the same problem. Though the only time that might be an issue is against the final boss

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rurik posted:

Take Chie for example. I had her in the endboss fight in my first game, but she was so unbalanced. Her strongest spell was Bufula if I remember correctly. Teddie gets Mabufudyne on level 67.
I really don't know why they shafted Chie on spells. I can only assume they thought she'd overlap with Teddie too much, but they could at least have given her Mabufula...

Ice Cream Social posted:

I assume it's somehow because he and Yukiko are healers.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Alteisen posted:

Yukiko has the same problem. Though the only time that might be an issue is against the final boss

A moot point, the final boss has both of their weaknesses in it's spell list and it actually doesn't have a preference towards a particular element.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
I've started playing some Megami Tensei after being directed to a Let's Play of SMT 1 on Youtube early last year. My first impression being, "Post apolocalytpic cyber-punk tinted RPG involving mythologocial creature ..... Awesome!" and I've been hooked ever since.

I've played SMT I and Strange Journey (although I have not completed any of these games) and bought a used PS2 just to play Nocturne and Persona 4.

My only previous experience with RPGs has been with the Pokemon series and a little bit of time on FF1 and Chrono Trigger, so my experience with boss battle has been restricted to the mindset of, "Hmm, I'm in an Fire Gym, I better raise some Water/Rock/Ground Pokemon."

Sorry for the rambling, but I guess I have few questions:

1. How do you guys prepare for bosses in SMT games? If you're not using a guide or grinding, do you just expect to lose the first couple of times you fight the boss as you scout it's moves and weaknesses and then construct a team then?

I'm in the habit of just fusing more and more demons as I level up, and keeping one dedicated healer/status affecter, a physical damage dealer and a magic damage dealer when I first face a boss in SMT games. I suppose I should not do any fusions if I know a boss is coming up soon?

2. What is your opinion of this design decision of not having bosses linked in theme (I guess?) to the dungeons in which they reside? I guess I'm still in a mindset from playing the Pokemon RPGs where I feel , I dunno, slightly unsettled that I am not forewarned about what the boss is going to be like. :blush:

I guess many/most/all of you that do not use guides get satisfaction from creating a team to (finally) beat a boss?

Opinions from veteran of this series would really be appreciated by this noob. I suppose I just need to better understand the mechanics of a particular game better...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sometimes the games will telegraph fairly strongly what's coming up (Devil Survivor comes to mind) and you can prepare accordingly, but more often than not I find it just helps to have a very balanced team. One not weighed down by the same weakness, one able to dish out all kinds of types of damage. That way, though you may have some trouble in the fight at first, you'll be able to recover and find a way through. Inevitably, sometimes you will die! Pretty much the only thing required in a lot of the games is to emphasize buffs/debuffs (Nocturne especially) as much as is feasible.

Fusing new demons constantly is almost always a good strategy. In most (all?) of the games, demons will level very slowly, so more often than not it's better to just fuse stronger ones. This is less true in my opinion in the Persona games I guess.

Every person is obviously different with regards to guides; I tend to use them for the super hard optional bosses that a lot of these games have for example.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have buffs and healers, that's how I usually rolled, never really bothered with debuffs to be honest.

Also make sure you have one of every element scattered across your demons and the scan spell, you'll be facing the same enemies in many dungeons so it helps to learn their weakness right away and make fights with them trivial.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
What is the point of power/magic charge in these games? You take 1 turn to charge then do double damage next turn, so isn't the damage output the same as if you just attacked twice?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Industrial posted:

What is the point of power/magic charge in these games? You take 1 turn to charge then do double damage next turn, so isn't the damage output the same as if you just attacked twice?

Doesn't it actually do a little more than double damage?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Industrial posted:

Cost-effective. Cheap buff spell+expensive spell is better than expensive spellx2. Same goes for physical spells. Buff+GodHand for example is much better because you're healing less often.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Opposing Farce posted:

Doesn't it actually do a little more than double damage?

They boost your damage by 2.5x.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

evilalien posted:

They boost your damage by 2.5x.

Yeah, I believe this is true. Which makes the buff description pretty terrible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah and doesn't it also boost more because of the way defense works? A 100 power attack would do more than 2 50 power attacks or am I getting my JRPGs mixed

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Yeah, I believe this is true. Which makes the buff description pretty terrible.

Yeah, that's absolutely retarded. I've been fusing other skills over it because it just says "doubles damage" which seemed totally pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm liking overclocked even if it is a lazy port but they couldn't they improve the A.I just a little?

"Hmm, I'm out of demons and low on health, LET ME ATTACK THIS ENEMY WITH 3 FRESH DEMONS"

Super fair, I'm always happy to get a game over when I had no control over what just happened.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 10, 2012