Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

ChocNitty posted:

I want to just flush the whole thing down the toilet, but i'm afraid it will screw up the plumbing.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Wrap it in a giant wad of toilet paper and THEN flush it. But not before dumping it all over her face. But be careful she could rub it down her body into her vagina and get pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Don't sleep with women who you trust so little that you feel you have to go to extremes to prevent them possibly 'trapping' you into a relationship with a child? Also get therapy for your paranoia and misogyny. Its probably not a good idea to be dating while you're in rehab anyway.

Robotulism
Jan 26, 2004
I will eat your face

ChocNitty posted:

Just to be completely sure that your precious goonseed is safe, you'd better drink it yourself.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Robotulism posted:

Just to be completely sure that your precious goonseed is safe, you'd better drink it yourself.

This. And do it in front of her, then she won't want a long term relationship at all!

This plan is foolproof.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Re: Braxton Hicks - I contracted for two weeks straight, every 5-10 minutes, until my water finally broke at 41 weeks and the contractions changed as soon as that happened. It did help to change positions, take a bath, etc. and yes drinking a lot of fluids can help if the level of oxytocin (the hormone which causes contractions) in her blood is really high, the fluids will "water it down" so to speak. It happens sometimes, it sucks, and I hope it gets better for her soon :(

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

ChocNitty posted:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread for my question, but here goes:

Is it possible for a woman to get pregnant by sticking a just disposed condom up her vagina so she can get pregnant and trap her boyfriend into a long term relationship?

I know most condoms have spermicide, but is it enough? even for a huge rear end load?

DJ Tom Leykis recommended pouring tabasco in the condom to prevent this kind of situation, but I really don't feel like messing with hot sauce after sex.

I want to just flush the whole thing down the toilet, but i'm afraid it will screw up the plumbing.

Recommendation: try the vasectomy thread. Or stop loving crazies.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
How big was the fish, baby?

Here's my brand new son, born on the 4th at 9 pounds, 4 ounces. It's been pretty fun - we've been laughing a lot.

edit: I should add that he has the common newborn rash, nothing weird.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 7, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

How big was the fish, baby?

Here's my brand new son, born on the 4th at 9 pounds, 4 ounces. It's been pretty fun - we've been laughing a lot.

edit: I should add that he has the common newborn rash, nothing weird.

Congrats! Where's his umbilical cord :OO

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

bamzilla posted:

Congrats! Where's his umbilical cord :OO

The nurse took off the clamp when he was about 1.5 days old. Is that normal? He's about 48 hours old in the picture.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Most babies have a little stump that takes about 10-ish days to fall off. It looks and smells gross by then, so maybe you guys just got lucky and can avoid the stinky stump.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah.. Christopher has a stump that's about an inch long. I was wondering the same thing regarding your picture.

They took the clamp off at around the same time for us, too.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.
He does have a stump but it's 1/8th inch or less, so we did get lucky!

Edit: Oopsie, posted from my husband's account.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

The nurse took off the clamp when he was about 1.5 days old. Is that normal? He's about 48 hours old in the picture.

Yea, they removed the clamp when we left the hospital (the clamp also had the security device in place so that no one can steal your baby :byodame:). It was just strange to me cause I'd never seen a baby that little without some sort of stump ;) I'd just consider yourself lucky you don't have to deal with it.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

bamzilla posted:

Yea, they removed the clamp when we left the hospital (the clamp also had the security device in place so that no one can steal your baby :byodame:). It was just strange to me cause I'd never seen a baby that little without some sort of stump ;) I'd just consider yourself lucky you don't have to deal with it.

Some people save the stump. Ewww.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

My mom saved mine - I distinctly remember being shown it when she was explaining pregnancy and babies to me. I have no intention of saving my kid's cord stump, though! (My mom's an ob/gyn nurse and always gave me very, uh, complete answers to my questions about reproduction. This caused me problems in third grade when a classmate said that his sister came out of his mom's "stomach" and I loudly insisted, "Stomachs are for food, she was in your mom's uterus!")

DjCoax
Mar 23, 2005

It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Braxton Hicks are random and don't follow a pattern. They certainly don't happen on an exact time. If she's having them every 10 minutes like clockwork, this may actually labor. However, if she's not dilated and her water hasn't broken, there's not much to do unless you want to induce. If the pains are worse at night, go to the emergency room at night where they can monitor it.

Seems really odd to me, but my guess is you are going to have a baby soon.

My god you were right :

Meet Louise - born at 2:50 AM saturday morning. Three weeks early but we're happy she's with us and came out ok !

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

DjCoax posted:

My god you were right :

Meet Louise - born at 2:50 AM saturday morning. Three weeks early but we're happy she's with us and came out ok !

Yay! Congrats! She's adorable! Glad to hear your wife wont have to suffer from those contractions for a few more weeks!

Gilbert
May 4, 2009

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Yup.
My mum has ours (my sister and I), just the clamp.
Our little boys one is in a keepsake box somewhere, we couldn't get the clamp open so the cordy bit is still attached, all hard and wrinkly! :(

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

DjCoax posted:

My god you were right :

She's beautiful, congrats! So many adorable goonbabies lately. :3:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Anyone have any recommendations for or against any particular body pillows? I've always been a stomach sleeper, but in the past 2 weeks that's become impossible, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to side-sleeping.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Mnemosyne posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for or against any particular body pillows? I've always been a stomach sleeper, but in the past 2 weeks that's become impossible, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to side-sleeping.

Ug. I've been having this same issue, but my due date is only 12 days away so I've been using my hubby and a mix of 5 pillows stacked and shoved in random spaces.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Mnemosyne posted:

I always slept the same way and I got a Leachco Snoogle and love it--I can't even see going to sleep without it after the baby comes. I can yank it around so I'm completely enclosed and the back support is good enough that it's like leaning against my husband without all the horrible extra heat. It's so nice to be able to flip over 4 or 5 times a night without much rearranging, just a quick yank on the bottom part since I like to be cuddled by it. The downside is that the fabric is kind of cheap and pills up really quickly, but you can always slip a regular pillowcase over where your head goes so at least you don't feel it on your skin. Oh, and any pillow heats you up a little when you're surrounded by it, but I just stick to summer pjs and I'm fine.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

I always slept the same way and I got a Leachco Snoogle and love it--I can't even see going to sleep without it after the baby comes. I can yank it around so I'm completely enclosed and the back support is good enough that it's like leaning against my husband without all the horrible extra heat. It's so nice to be able to flip over 4 or 5 times a night without much rearranging, just a quick yank on the bottom part since I like to be cuddled by it. The downside is that the fabric is kind of cheap and pills up really quickly, but you can always slip a regular pillowcase over where your head goes so at least you don't feel it on your skin. Oh, and any pillow heats you up a little when you're surrounded by it, but I just stick to summer pjs and I'm fine.

Just an FYI, they make pillowcases for the Snoogle. I also loved my Snoogle but my husband HATED it. He said I was using it as a weapon against him to hog more of the bed. I totally was. Whatever, he's the one who knocked me up, concessions had to be made.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
It did come with the one that pilled, I was just way too cheap to buy a nicer one! My husband complains about the same thing, but when I point out that he'd have me leaning on him the whole night otherwise, he comes around. :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I just use a cheap $10 body pillow from Target.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Sarsaparilla posted:

Ug. I've been having this same issue, but my due date is only 12 days away so I've been using my hubby and a mix of 5 pillows stacked and shoved in random spaces.

This is exactly what I did throughout pregnancy, and it's come in handy for making a little nursing nest too. I did buy a body pillow, but I could never get it to do what I wanted it to, so I went back to hogging all the pillows on the bed instead.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Mnemosyne posted:

If I could go back in time, I would get one like this because I flip from one side to the other every couple of hours when I sleep.

However, I do have a set up that works well for me. I bought this pillow early on in my pregnancy and it was fine until my belly started really growing and I needed more between the leg support than what the pillow provided. So what I'm doing now is I have the pillow flipped so that the part where your head is supposed to go is between my legs and I have another regular pillow that I put on the edge of my bed so that when I'm on my left side, it supports my back, and when I'm on my right side, it supports my belly. It's not perfect, but it keeps my alignment straight and I don't wake up with hip pain.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

vanessa posted:

If I could go back in time, I would get one like this because I flip from one side to the other every couple of hours when I sleep.

This is the one I have. When I had a big belly, I couldn't stay on one side for more than an hour or two without my legs getting tingly and uncomfortable, so this was a lifesaver for me. I literally couldn't have slept without it. I did hate all the extra bulk in the bed, so I tried to switch to a cheap body pillow for one night, but it wasn't the same and I got up in the middle of the night to retrieve the old one.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

vanessa posted:

That's a really, really good point. I flip back and forth too, and I wasn't even considering this one because it took up so much more room.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My kid is 7 weeks old now, and things are going great (she's gassy as hell, but starting to "work it out" on her own), except for twice this week she has thrown up. Like, not spit up a little, but actual heaving throwing up. Each time she has readily nursed right after the barfing, and she's been alert, normal, and making wet diapers just like normal. I don't remember specifics of the last time, but the time this morning we were laying down side-nursing, she had eaten quite a while, and she either got a bit of milk in the wrong pipe or gagged on a bit, and up it came in two big heaves. It even sounded like she heaved a bit before it came up. I'm pretty sure it was because she "choked" on some milk, and kid's reaction to choking is to puke it out of the way, plus she was full and hadn't been burped yet, AND was laying down.

I'm still worried a bit though, because my teeny baby threw up :-(

Should I take her to the doctor, mention it during her check up on the 23rd, or just keep my eye on her for it to happen more frequently? I don't want to wig out about it. She's nursed several times since this morning with no spit up at all, so it's not like she's puking each time she eats.

(I never posted a picture of her after she was born either, so here you go)

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 10, 2012

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I told my husband to throw it out. What did I find while cleaning out a dresser drawer, MY DRAWER to be exact? Her stump in an old prescription bottle. GROSS. At least keep it in your drawer you gross, sentimental weirdo.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I really like the look of the Leachco Back 'N Belly pillow, and haven't bought a pregnancy pillow yet. So expensive to order it to Europe though; amazon wanted just under $100 for it including shipping :3: Seems pricey for a pillow.

Anyone in EU got a recommendation of one that is more readily available here?

Pinkmetallic
Jul 1, 2005
I swear by my Leachco Snoogle. I have been using it for a few months now and I am 30 weeks. I never even have to change positions during the night... Heaven. Best $50 I spent!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our hospital (in Japan) gave us a little box to keep the stump in. We still have it in her dresser, but my husband and I don't really want it... maybe we'll give it to her as a gag gift when she graduates from high school? :dance:

My period came back right before Bug turned 1 and I've pretty much lost my breastmilk.

This is the photo we used for our New Year's card (year of the Dragon). Bug at 1 year 2 months :3
EDIT: Attachment didn't work? Whatevs.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 12, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So my wife is now three weeks pregnant and she's been getting some pretty bad hives. A small patch was on her lower stomach near her hip bone (an inch wide) and it's spread around her legs now. The dermatologist said it was eczema and gave her a cream, but it's not really working. She's had a lot of trouble sleeping and will wake up throughout the night because it's so itchy.

I've been with her 10+ years and have never seen her have hives like this before. Is there anything else she can do? I'm going to setup an appointment with another dermatologist to get a second opinion in the mean time. I just bought her some Eucerin lotion (with some kind of oatmeal additive) so hopefully that helps out.

She's been told to stay away from antihistamines (Loratadine specifically, so maybe Benedryl is ok?).

Bank fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 11, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Bank posted:

So my wife is now three weeks pregnant and she's been getting some pretty bad hives. A small patch was on her lower stomach near her hip bone (an inch wide) and it's spread around her legs now. The dermatologist said it was eczema and gave her a cream, but it's not really working. She's had a lot of trouble sleeping and will wake up throughout the night because it's so itchy.

I've been with her 10+ years and have never seen her have hives like this before. Is there anything else she can do? I'm going to setup an appointment with another dermatologist to get a second opinion in the mean time. I just bought her some Eucerin lotion (with some kind of oatmeal additive) so hopefully that helps out.

She's been told to stay away from antihistamines (Loratadine specifically, so maybe Benedryl is ok?).

Loratadine is Category B, and my doctor told me to continue taking it during my pregnancy, so I don't know why your doctor said to avoid it. Unless they meant to avoid it in general for this rash.

Eczema is kind of weird in that their are a variety of subtypes all brought on by different things. One type is brought on by contact with an allergen, while other types can be triggered by stress or really dry skin. Depending on what the cause is, the treatments can vary. I get both allergen-related kind and the stress-triggered kind, and simply not getting enough sleep for a few nights in a row will cause me to have a rash all over both hands.

Personally, I have to really focus on making sure my skin stays moisturized, which means being really careful about not robbing the skin of moisture while washing the affected areas. Keep the water as cool as she's ok with (hot water dries skin out faster), don't use soaps that are either really drying or very scented. I try to use Cetaphil's cleanser whenever I'm having an outbreak. Similarly, moisturize the gently caress out of it as soon as you finish washing because your skin loses moisture really fast when you step out of the shower since you just washed all your protective oils off. I don't know about Eucerin because I don't use it, but it's the same as the soap, try to avoid lotions with a bunch of fragrances and stuff that will irritate already irritated skin. Cetaphil also makes some good fragrance-free lotions, and dermatologists seem to tell you to use all Cetaphil products as the first line of treatment for every skin problem.

Other than that, reduce stress and sleep more. I know that's much easier said than done, especially when you have an itchy rash, but eczema is basically a crazy immunological reaction happening on your skin, and stress and lack of sleep really kick your immune system's rear end.

EDIT: Now that I re-read, I see she's pretty much just gotten pregnant. Was she taking the prenatals that she's taking now before she found out she was pregnant? Seems like a long shot, but maybe she could be allergic to something in the vitamins if she just started taking them when she found out she was pregnant.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 11, 2012

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
I'm sure bahunter22 will get around to making a post, but seeing as I'm up for a night feeding, here is Saria Rose.

8lbs 2oz 20" long, born 16:54 on 1/7/12.

She had her first checkup today and her bili was pretty high, 17.9 so she had a special biliblanket delivered that she'll get to spend time in over the next couple of days.

She's now a Tron Baby.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Aw, what a cute little glowbaby!

peanut posted:

My period came back right before Bug turned 1 and I've pretty much lost my breastmilk.
Mine just came back after only 8 weeks. What a delightful surprise. I though I had at least a few months since I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I really hope my milk stays put.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Amykinz posted:

Should I take her to the doctor, mention it during her check up on the 23rd, or just keep my eye on her for it to happen more frequently? I don't want to wig out about it. She's nursed several times since this morning with no spit up at all, so it's not like she's puking each time she eats.

I'd bring it up, but unless she's puking after every feeding and not gaining weight I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like she's just choking a bit while nursing but she'll get the hang on it eventually.

(EDIT: Thinking about it, you might just have an excessive letdown reflex, where she gets so much milk she chokes.)

Bank posted:

Benadryl is fine, I took it throughout my pregnancy to help me sleep.

As for period talk, I got my first at around 8 weeks, and then another two day period two weeks later. My uterus doesn't know what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

The Young Marge posted:

Aw, what a cute little glowbaby!

Mine just came back after only 8 weeks. What a delightful surprise. I though I had at least a few months since I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I really hope my milk stays put.

Mine was back at 10 weeks and every 4 weeks after like clockwork even though I exclusively breastfed until 6 months. I'm still nursing at 15 months!