Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
One winner will receive a business card and an autographed copy of the game featured in today's challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVXJNhy64PQ

:dance:

edit: sorry, it's the music from the end part of every episode where they say they're going to give away the stuff mentioned above, that's a quote of what they usually say. The part of the song they use starts at about 32 seconds. I'd been trying to find it for a while so I figured I'd share it...

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You state a line from the show, cryptically, post a link to some horrendous noise that I turned off in about .2 seconds, and post a happy-face emoticon.

I have not had my tea yet and am incredibly grumpy. What the gently caress are you talking about?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

You state a line from the show, cryptically, post a link to some horrendous noise that I turned off in about .2 seconds

It's one of the songs used in the show, goofus.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So the dude is just quoting the show?

Yeah, I get that, my point was why is--oh gently caress this
V

hexwren fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 4, 2012

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

So the dude is just quoting the show?

It's the song used during that portion of the show.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I've rekindled my love for watching this. I feel so unaccomplished~

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, I get that, my point was why is--oh gently caress this
V

He's happy because he found the song that plays at the 'win a signed copy of the game' part of the show, and wanted to share it with us.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
I just recently got addicted to this show thanks to this thread but I have a question. I noticed at the end of episodes they give away a business card and other times when Arino meets someone he'll exchange a business card with them. Is that a customary thing over in Japan or something?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Oncogene posted:

I just recently got addicted to this show thanks to this thread but I have a question. I noticed at the end of episodes they give away a business card and other times when Arino meets someone he'll exchange a business card with them. Is that a customary thing over in Japan or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meishi

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
Ah, well that explains it. Thanks!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That article doesn't mention it, but it's also customary to actually read the other person's business card, as opposed to just filing it away without a second glance like we do in the US. Many business cards also include the person's university degree(s), and this can become a conversation topic during the exchange.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Well, while the thread is bumped, I'll point out for any NorCal readers that the Morris Graves Museum of Art in Eureka is having a display on the 53 Stations of the Tokaido, starting today (Jan. 4th) and running on until the 11th if I recall correctly.

(And sure as poo poo all it took was seeing that flyer to get that music going through my head again)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of that song, did an mp3 of Route53 from the sunsoft CD ever turn up anywhere?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redmercer posted:

Well, while the thread is bumped, I'll point out for any NorCal readers that the Morris Graves Museum of Art in Eureka is having a display on the 53 Stations of the Tokaido, starting today (Jan. 4th) and running on until the 11th if I recall correctly.

(And sure as poo poo all it took was seeing that flyer to get that music going through my head again)

That's a very famous set of ukiyoe (the Japanese woodblock printing technique) prints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifty-three_Stations_of_the_T%C5%8Dkaid%C5%8D

So go if you're not familiar with them. They're really great to see.

I own copies of a few of them myself.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 5, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Next Episode:
#133 Battletoads Part 2
1/12/12

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

joek0 posted:

Next Episode:
#133 Battletoads Part 2
1/12/12

Good to know he is not giving up without a fight.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

QwertySanchez posted:

I'd been trying to find it for a while so I figured I'd share it...

Just letting you know the second part of the OP has a list of songs used in the show.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

zari-gani posted:

Just letting you know the second part of the OP has a list of songs used in the show.

I realised there's a song it's missing. In season one, the intro for Arino's Challenge uses the first few seconds of Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions, taken from their orchestral album Moment Of Glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrL7QyLcNKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A8DYYZGq5k

Also, first post in this thread for me, so thank you to anyone reading this who worked on the subtitles, it's an awesome show.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Konsek posted:

I realised there's a song it's missing. In season one, the intro for Arino's Challenge uses the first few seconds of Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions, taken from their orchestral album Moment Of Glory.

Thanks for the find. I guess Random Stranger's in charge of making any additions to that list now.

By the way, I'm going to start translating again soon. Maybe after this weekend. It's always hard going back to my regular routine after the holidays.

MTXperience posted:

Did the Lincoln episode with Yoiko on it ever get subbed? I thought this was being worked on at some point, not sure if I just missed it or not.

Nipponophile is still working on timing/editing it, as far as I know.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

zari-gani posted:

How did I miss that??

gently caress... :smithicide:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Oh god, is it possible to somehow put Battletoads in the priority line for subbing? I know nothing else from the past two seasons has even been TOUCHED yet, but I absolutely have to understand everything Arino is saying as Battletoads takes him behind a shed. I'm getting a decent bit of it (Robin's the real Japanese master on my little translation team), but I know I'm missing some of the comedy, agony, and confluence of the two.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh god, is it possible to somehow put Battletoads in the priority line for subbing? I know nothing else from the past two seasons has even been TOUCHED yet, but I absolutely have to understand everything Arino is saying as Battletoads takes him behind a shed. I'm getting a decent bit of it (Robin's the real Japanese master on my little translation team), but I know I'm missing some of the comedy, agony, and confluence of the two.

I'm 100% with you on this. Battletoads is practically apart of our goddamn blood, so us Americans share a special connection with the leyline of pain and agony Arino is facing. But he's only barely touched it - he's never had to endure the true horror that is the Battletoads Cartoon.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
"Arino has reached his limit, but just when all hope was lost...that man appeared!"

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Battletoads episode's possibility to be translated soonish was discussed a few pages ago. The result was that there's a whole bunch of episodes already under work so it's definitely not going to be on priority list.

Still, I'm with you guys. I really, really want to see this episode.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Battletoads, Ninja Turtles, and Bart vs the Space Mutants haunted a good chunk of my childhood. It's always good to watch someone suffer playing those for the first time.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

Battletoads, Ninja Turtles, and Bart vs the Space Mutants haunted a good chunk of my childhood. It's always good to watch someone suffer playing those for the first time.

Bart vs. the Space Mutant might be one of the worst-controlling games of all time. It was like impossible to get tasks done when the jump button was the same as spray paint or something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have a spoilery question:

In the punch-out episode, when they are asking for ideas for episodes to do live, they mention that Arino didn't beat Quest of Ki on christmas and ask if he wants to try it again. I thought the whole point of the Bonk's Adventure recap was that he DID beat it on Christmas eve?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I just rewatched and that is weird. He clearly accomplished his goal so I don't know what to say.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have a spoilery question:

In the punch-out episode, when they are asking for ideas for episodes to do live, they mention that Arino didn't beat Quest of Ki on christmas and ask if he wants to try it again. I thought the whole point of the Bonk's Adventure recap was that he DID beat it on Christmas eve?

That was a mistranslation. What Kibe actually said was "For the live Christmas broadcast, you played 'Quest of Ki,' a game you couldn't beat during [a regular] challenge. If we followed that rule again, there are lots of games you haven't beaten yet."

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
I'm just thinking that a snippet from the song "Get Back To 8bit" would also be a great ending theme for the show. The title fits perfectly. Kacho + Polysics = winning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJm1LgWZFAQ

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Polysics are the best thing since best things, but that's mostly because I'm one of those nerds who still likes DEVO.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Konsek posted:

On this note, the Adventure Island episode's Game Center segment completely blew my mind with the song it used. The song they thought they were using was the theme song to Kamata Koushinkyoku (I assume because the subtitles said it was near Kamata Station?)

Here's a link to a ska cover of that (best I could find to represent the song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdyPiet104

Now, some of you may be thinking "Heeeeeey, that sounds familiar!" It's because this is actually Song of the Vagabond, from the operetta 'The Vagabond King'. That's where I'd heard it (my family loved that stuff). It came completely out of left field to hear the song again after so many years, in Game Center CX, of all places.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Polysics are the best thing since best things, but that's mostly because I'm one of those nerds who still likes DEVO.

A Devo/Polysics fan posting in a Gamecenter CX thread.
You are my sworn blood brother. Your enemies are now mine and your cup shall never be empty in my presence.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I figured I should start watching this show after seeing a few people excited for the Battletoads episode on Twitter, so while looking through the OP I see that YO NOID is on here. Is this is Japanese version which has 100% less Domino's or did they decide to play the US version for novelty? Either way, I REALLY want to see that episode subbed, even if I have to do it myself (the translation, anyway).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

leather fedora posted:

I figured I should start watching this show after seeing a few people excited for the Battletoads episode on Twitter, so while looking through the OP I see that YO NOID is on here. Is this is Japanese version which has 100% less Domino's or did they decide to play the US version for novelty? Either way, I REALLY want to see that episode subbed, even if I have to do it myself (the translation, anyway).

It is the Japanese version.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

leather fedora posted:

It is the Japanese version as mentioned, aka "Ninja Hanamaru". I listed the US title for familiarity but that's a case where it's definitely not going to stick when the episode gets translated since the original game completely avoided the Noid.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Random Stranger posted:

I listed the US title for familiarity but that's a case where it's definitely not going to stick when the episode gets translated since the original game completely avoided the Noid.
Well played sir.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

O God I'm watching the battletoads episode raw even though I don't speak a word of Japanese this is frigging hilarious. Pain knows no language barrier.

Edit: also how did I not know Battletoads was made by rare?

Risky
May 18, 2003

They sell those cooling pads Arino uses at Wal-Mart. I should have picked some up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Haruharuharuko posted:

Edit: also how did I not know Battletoads was made by rare?

Somewhat related, I replayed Who Framed Roger Rabbit recently and discovered it too was made by Rare. I was stunned. Guess that makes two completely unfair ball-busting games from my childhood those cheeky buggers were responsible for.

Speaking of games we'd like to see Arino play... too bad it appears Japan didn't get that WFRR since they got the inaugural Crazy Castle game instead.

Wikipedia posted:

During the gameplay, gamers would have to call a phone number. If the number was called, it would give the gamers clues as to how to continue gameplay.
However, if this number is dialed today, it will be connected to a sex hotline, and would not be appropriate to the video game's target audience.

I would pay a stupid amount of money to see the AD's set Arino up to call that number. Ring Ring Tactics indeed.