Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

no dad im not gay! posted:

I've seen a lot of cats using the Carbon Copy above a lot of other pedals, boutique or otherwise. I think only the Boss Digital Delays comes close but I'd like to expand my horizons, y'know? There's so many options out there that I'm experiencing a mixture of excitement and bewildering confusion. I'm not looking to spend more than 150 used or new, though. That's for sure.

After going through A LOT of different delay pedals, the DD-20 is what I swear by. If you read through the manual, you'll find a lot of options and parameters that aren't obvious by just poking around. It's an incredibly flexible tool, and the ability to keep four different presets stored in it that you can easily bounce between sealed it for me. The Carbon Copy is a great sounding pedal, but that's all it does.

My DD-20 has its four banks programmed for 1) Standard subtle delay 2) Space Echo-style delay 3) Dual-head tape delay 4) Crazy wacky mode. Plus, in manual mode, it'll do whatever the knobs are set to, and it can be used as a looper with 23 seconds of memory. I often think it doesn't get a fair shake because it's not boutique-y enough, and the design looks a little dated, because I've never felt that it sounded fake or anything other than beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I had a DD20 I regret selling. I really enjoyed it in "digital" mode, for some reason the repeats felt like they cut through the mix nicer than any other digital delay I've tried (even though you would assume digital is just digital) tape and analog modes were ok, not exceptional and definitely didnt oscilate well. But in general it just did what it said on the tin with the minimum of fuss.

I got a DL4 to replace it I didnt like as much. Didnt sound as good to me and lacked features I took for granted on the DD20 (manual mode, global tap tempo)

I have a tc electronic flashback now though which is one of the nicest sounding delays I've ever used.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 2, 2012

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

massive spider posted:

I have a tc electronic flashback now though which is one of the nicest sounding delays I've ever used.

I'm guessing this is awesome since their Nova Delay is so lovely.

I also have an Akai E2 Headrush delay/echo/looper and I sort of regret it because the looper is iffy and the thing is monstrously huge for what it is. I just don't know what's best for a looper that is easy to use on the fly. The delay/echo effects are nice enough I guess.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I have a question about vintage guitar equipment.

I'm selling a Gibson SG on craigslist and a guy has offered to trade me what he claims is a vintage 1980 Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer. Aside from getting a serial number for it and testing to see if it still works, is there anything I can do to make sure I'm getting a good deal? I saw a listing on ebay for a 1981 model featuring the "coveted JRC4558D chip". I have no idea what any of this means.

Help?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unless you're a collector of vintage pedals, that's not a good trade. There are plenty of modern tubescreamer clones that'll function as nicely or better than a 1980 one.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Don't want this to get lost on the last page, so reposting:

It looks like Amazon is doing some deep discounts on the Pedaltrain boards, not sure for how long. I'm seeing anywhere from 40% to 60% off. Is it worth it to pull the trigger on one of these? I'm leaning towards the Pedaltrain 2, as I don't think the smaller ones will fit my pedals. I've got a couple big old EHX pedals and all the demo pics are of teeny Boss sized pedals.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

I'm getting a good deal

I can already tell you in confidence that you're not getting a good deal.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

It looks like Amazon is doing some deep discounts on the Pedaltrain boards, not sure for how long. I'm seeing anywhere from 40% to 60% off. Is it worth it to pull the trigger on one of these? I'm leaning towards the Pedaltrain 2, as I don't think the smaller ones will fit my pedals. I've got a couple big old EHX pedals and all the demo pics are of teeny Boss sized pedals.

Here, have a picture of my PT-2, I love it but it's getting a little full. Probably because I've got a combination of guitar and bass poo poo on it because I don't want to put together a second board. I just re-wired everything yesterday and the Bass Chorus is a placeholder for an RC-3 that's on order.

New purchases: Chk Chk Boom, Second Voice, RC-3 (in the mail). Still experimenting with all of it, but the Second Voice is absolutely amazing so far.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 3, 2012

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Unless you're a collector of vintage pedals, that's not a good trade. There are plenty of modern tubescreamer clones that'll function as nicely or better than a 1980 one.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I can already tell you in confidence that you're not getting a good deal.

Thanks guys. I didn't feel good about it, good to know my instincts were right.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I love my PTs. I've got a Mini each for my guitar and bass rigs, though I may exchange the guitar one for a JR so I can keep buying pedals. The only thing I would change about it is the bag design. Whoever designed it has apparently never used a shoulder bag before and put the strap connections halfway down the bag, so it always pulls outward instead of sitting flat. Other than that, I've got no complaints.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

massive spider posted:

Murky sounding, not a lot of high end frequencies. Thats not the same thing as saying it "adds bass" though just that you shouldn't expect the repeats to be very defined. I like that quality though. Look up the proguitarshop demos on youtube then compare it to something like the EHX memory toy or a tape sim delay.

Hm, I don't like the sound of that but I suppose I should test one out in person and see how it sounds to my ears. I was waiting for the proguitarshop namedrop too! I've watched the poo poo out of Andy's demos these past few months. That guy loves him some delay.

bisticles posted:

After going through A LOT of different delay pedals, the DD-20 is what I swear by. If you read through the manual, you'll find a lot of options and parameters that aren't obvious by just poking around. It's an incredibly flexible tool, and the ability to keep four different presets stored in it that you can easily bounce between sealed it for me. The Carbon Copy is a great sounding pedal, but that's all it does.

My DD-20 has its four banks programmed for 1) Standard subtle delay 2) Space Echo-style delay 3) Dual-head tape delay 4) Crazy wacky mode. Plus, in manual mode, it'll do whatever the knobs are set to, and it can be used as a looper with 23 seconds of memory. I often think it doesn't get a fair shake because it's not boutique-y enough, and the design looks a little dated, because I've never felt that it sounded fake or anything other than beautiful.

poo poo, I didn't even consider Boss' Giga Delay. That sounds awesome. I love the idea of having separate banks for different settings. I'm not opposed to digital. It's the same with solid state, if it's done well it will sound good. My only issues are that It's a bit far out of my price range and it is bulkier than I'd care for. I'm not a gigging guitarist or anything but I'm looking to build a compact pedalboard to serve what I'm hearing in my head. Despite all that I'm definitely going to read up on it. Thanks a ton dude!! <3

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bear in mind the DD20 doesent self oscilate outside of the slightly silly sounding "twist" mode though.

If you can find an ibanez DE7 that might be worth a try, though theyve been discontinued and the prices have shot up because of it (because they're awesome)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

massive spider posted:

Bear in mind the DD20 doesent self oscilate outside of the slightly silly sounding "twist" mode though.

If you can find an ibanez DE7 that might be worth a try, though theyve been discontinued and the prices have shot up because of it (because they're awesome)

Self-oscillate, where the circuit feeds the repeated signal back to the input high enough that it builds up with each delay cycle? It does that in all of the modes, I believe, as long as you've got the feedback knob placed fairly high.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick

massive spider posted:

Hell yes, DE7's rule. I got one when Musician's Friend had them as the daily deal when they were clearing them out and they completely own. Every once in a while I think about getting a different delay pedal, but this thing is just so good. Definitely the best $50 I've ever spent on a pedal.

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
As a DD-20 owner I can say I'm very satisfied. Sounds good and has a looper mode built-in that can stack several layers. The only thing I noticed is that if you bring the feedback above 8 on the dial it brings the noise floor of the pedal up quite a bit, but you don't notice it because there's so much oscillation going on. I don't use it above 8 anyway. Good stereo pedal with a ton of options.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bisticles posted:

Self-oscillate, where the circuit feeds the repeated signal back to the input high enough that it builds up with each delay cycle? It does that in all of the modes, I believe, as long as you've got the feedback knob placed fairly high.

Are you sure? It definitely feeds back for a long time, but it doesent do the signicture "whooshy" sound I think of as self oscillation. The DE7 on hte other hand gets really nuts.

One thing I like about the tc flashback is that it only "sorta" oscillates, it gets pulsing and dubby on the tape mode but never to the point where the echos dont eventually die out on their own. At first this annoyed me but it means I can use that sound in the middle of a song and never have to worry about it running out of control.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 7, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It's not a "purchase" but today I turned my ugly boring guitar into an ugly interesting guitar:

It didn't turn out exactly as I'd imagined but, since this is my "junk guitar," I don't care so much.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does it play well, at least? It looks pretty awesome and I'd love a guitar like that. It looks like something a j-rock or visual kei band would play.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The neck actually feels fantastic but everything else is kind of garbage. Part of me would love to replace the bridge and pickups and wiring and pots and tuners and nut, but this thing cost like $300 in 1999.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

That a Melody Maker II? Jeez, I wish I had a boring guitar like that hanging 'round. :allears:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A bit late on this one, but I finally bought a pair of 1200s.

And a second laptop.

I wish I had more hands.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Went to South America for Xmas. Came back with one of these:

It's like a mandolin and a ukulele had a weird lovechild. Bolivian-crafted charango that I got in Perú. The third set of strings has one string an octave lower than the other. Now to learn it!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got an Orange Tiny Terror that I've been dreaming of since I first picked up an acoustic! This thing has a mid range that is simply fantastic. It really reins in my BOSS Metal Core ML-2 (which I'm really considering replacing with a different pedal). Of course my next step is to try and get a Muff pedal.
Oh and here is a picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have a dd20 and a digitech dl8. I like both of them. The dd20 has overall better delay sounds and options however I definitely like the dl8 looper function better. It let's you record a loop and automaticlly repeats after you let off the switch which is the opposite of the dd20. I also really want to try the digitech timebender.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Used Tama Swingstar. Got the whole setup really cheap, including a crash and china not pictured. Happy as hell.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Well, I finally got sick of playing around with rack gear and decided to go back to my pedals. I also got sick of hauling them around in a backpack and having to set everything up, so over the holiday, I took full advantage of my dad's basement workshop while I visited and built a pedalboard and case.

It's built like a damned tank. All junk from Lowe's, because I didn't have time to order aluminum extrusions, corners, etc. from someplace. Took a little more work to get everything to work out, but I like it. And it really is tough as hell.

I built a removable board inside, but haven't had need or desire to take it out yet. It actually works quite well with everything as is...

And the reason I can get away with posting here is that the Line 6 M5 and the RAT are new in the last couple days. I realized that I needed a couple other solutions if I'm going to use this live. So, there it is...

If anyone feels like advising on the signal chain, here it is:

SD-1 --> TS9DX --> RAT --> M5 --> CH-1 --> Echo Park --> Verbzilla --> volume and out to amp. I'm also using the "tuner out" jack for the TU-2, which is sitting on its side because I forgot to move it for the picture. It's all powered by just a couple One-Spots, one daisy chained for everything except the M5, and one dedicated for the M5 (voltage fluctuations when I turned on / off other pedals were resetting it and killing sound during practice when it was daisychained, which is probably not a good thing live).

I figured the M5 can do most anything, so sticking it between the dirt pedals and the modulation / delay was probably the best idea. I'll use it for both, but probably more for modulation / delay now that I've got the RAT filling out my overdrive/distortion component.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Picked up an alto sax two weeks ago, got the small dent on the bell taken out and just got it back. I play mostly guitar and tenor sax, but this was a horn I just couldn't pass up.

Original case, original lacquer, original early soloist C* mouthpiece.

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 17, 2012

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I see Selmer, but what model?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mister Speaker posted:

A bit late on this one, but I finally bought a pair of 1200s.

And a second laptop.

I wish I had more hands.

That's a pretty awesome selection of goodies man. Nice.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cross-posting this from the bass and NAMM thread, but I'm pretty much going to have to get one of these.

Lakland unveils a 30" scale 6-string bass, the 60-11 (think Fender Bass VI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSXYOVm_hM

God I've been wondering how long it would be before someone stepped up and did Bass VI type of instrument.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.
I picked up an iLok, Slate Trigger, and Slate Virtual Console Collection this week. If anyone's eyeing the Slate VCC, I got it here for $160 (normally $250).

Other recent purchases - 4x Whirlwind 1x3 mic splitters, a used pair of JBL LSR 4326 with a dustcap punched in (which I think I'm going to swap out for Adam A7X or something else), a second FCB1010 with UnO mod (my first one has been bugging out), and a MOTU Ultralite mk3 (I already have two regular Ultralites, this one is going to be exclusively for my band's in ear monitors).

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Scarf posted:

Cross-posting this from the bass and NAMM thread, but I'm pretty much going to have to get one of these.

Lakland unveils a 30" scale 6-string bass, the 60-11 (think Fender Bass VI)

God I've been wondering how long it would be before someone stepped up and did Bass VI type of instrument.

Ungh, I've been really wanting a Bass VI but they're just too expensive. It probably mentions in the video, but I can't watch it at work, how much does it cost?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gordon Cole posted:

Ungh, I've been really wanting a Bass VI but they're just too expensive. It probably mentions in the video, but I can't watch it at work, how much does it cost?

They don't say.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gordon Cole posted:

It's not due out until June. And it'll depend on if they offer it in the Skyline (import but US assembled and electronics) series as well. I'm guessing the US will be $2-2.5k for a US version. Maybe 1500 for the import.

Don't quote me on that though.

I'll shoot a message to one of the guys at Lakland and see if he can't give me a prediction of the price.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scarf posted:

It's not due out until June. And it'll depend on if they offer it in the Skyline (import but US assembled and electronics) series as well. I'm guessing the US will be $2-2.5k for a US version. Maybe 1500 for the import.

Don't quote me on that though.

I'll shoot a message to one of the guys at Lakland and see if he can't give me a prediction of the price.

For about $1k you can generally find one of the '04-'06 Fender Baritone Jaguar Customs (humbucker version is a regular baritone) which is a Bass VI and not actually a baritone. Only two pickups and a hardtail bridge unfortunately. If you're lucky there are sometimes good deals to be found on the Japanese Bass VI reissues with the legit pickup/bridge configuration. Here's one I would love, but a regular baritone (too bad they hosed up the pickups on the new bari tele) is just too much higher on the current priorities list:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/2808269768.html

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FancyMike posted:

For about $1k you can generally find one of the '04-'06 Fender Baritone Jaguar Customs (humbucker version is a regular baritone) which is a Bass VI and not actually a baritone. Only two pickups and a hardtail bridge unfortunately. If you're lucky there are sometimes good deals to be found on the Japanese Bass VI reissues with the legit pickup/bridge configuration. Here's one I would love, but a regular baritone (too bad they hosed up the pickups on the new bari tele) is just too much higher on the current priorities list:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/2808269768.html

Yeah, but... P90s :shepface:

And I know I'm biased and everything, but... You know, Lakland :)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scarf posted:

Yeah, but... P90s :shepface:

And I know I'm biased and everything, but... You know, Lakland :)

P90s are cool and all, need to put some in my Les Paul, I've just got a major Jag-boner. Never played a Lakland...

While we're talking about cool NAMM things though I think it might be time to sell that Micro-POG I bought off you and upgrade in a couple months. The Organizer looks like it should cover everything I'm using the POG for and then some:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Better picture of my new MIA Fender Standard Strat:

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

The Electronaut posted:

I see Selmer, but what model?

1958 Mark VI. Original lacquer, about 98 - 99% of which is remaining. The pearls and springs feel brand new, it was barely played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

gingivitis the wart posted:

I picked up an iLok, Slate Trigger, and Slate Virtual Console Collection this week. If anyone's eyeing the Slate VCC, I got it here for $160 (normally $250).

Other recent purchases - 4x Whirlwind 1x3 mic splitters, a used pair of JBL LSR 4326 with a dustcap punched in (which I think I'm going to swap out for Adam A7X or something else), a second FCB1010 with UnO mod (my first one has been bugging out), and a MOTU Ultralite mk3 (I already have two regular Ultralites, this one is going to be exclusively for my band's in ear monitors).

What do you think of Slate VCC?