Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Avocados posted:

Didn't seem to work. Will I lose my playlists and manually placed cover art if I try reinstalling iTunes?

You can export your library, and the mp3s/media don't move. But the library file is in your ~/Music folder anyways, and you probably don't have to do anything to make the old stuff show up if you just uninstall and reinstall, if you never moved it from the default location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fordan posted:

iTunes Match really needs to figure out a better way of dealing with playlists.

iTunes Match needs a better way of dealing with a ton of poo poo but smart playlists is its worst offender. I had to turn off match until those are addressed. I get playlists that show up empty, my "top 25 played" playlist shows every single loving song, I click one artist's playlist and I get another (this also happens with just about everything else) and it doesn't seem to update/keep track of last played which is the backbone of almost every smart playlist I have since I like to keep a cycle of constant music that I hear once then remove for a month or two depending on artists or genre.

And unrelated to iTunes and more on the iPhone, the "Other" category bloating up for no reason pisses me off too.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 28, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And unrelated to iTunes and more on the iPhone, the "Other" category bloating up for no reason pisses me off too.
No, that's iTunes. Happens on my Touch and iPad, too -- until it's synced again.

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011
Once we have our music library "matched" or "uploaded" drat you Audioslave Like A Stone! How do we go about deleting our mp3 and downloading the m4a (that is the iTunes music file right?) files from match?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Once we have our music library "matched" or "uploaded" drat you Audioslave Like A Stone! How do we go about deleting our mp3 and downloading the m4a (that is the iTunes music file right?) files from match?

Select the tracks you want to re-download in iTunes and press Delete, when prompted choose to delete the files from the local computer, this will move them to the trash. Make sure the "Remove from iCloud" checkbox is not selected. Once you remove the files the album/songs will still be listed in your iTunes library, now click the "Download from iCloud" button. That's it. :)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In Winamp I can press Q to make a song play after the current one. There also seems to be a temporary playlist in which I can enqueue things. Are these features present in iTunes?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anjow posted:

In Winamp I can press Q to make a song play after the current one. There also seems to be a temporary playlist in which I can enqueue things. Are these features present in iTunes?
Right click a song and choose "Add to iTunes DJ" to add it to the back, and "Play Next in iTunes DJ" to add it to the front of the queue. The only problem is that after your queue is finished it starts shuffling your library instead of stopping.

Edit: Not if you pick None for the Source: drop down at the bottom of the DJ list, as I just found out. That's what you want, then.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

carry on then posted:

Right click a song and choose "Add to iTunes DJ" to add it to the back, and "Play Next in iTunes DJ" to add it to the front of the queue. The only problem is that after your queue is finished it starts shuffling your library instead of stopping.

Edit: Not if you pick None for the Source: drop down at the bottom of the DJ list, as I just found out. That's what you want, then.

Awesome stuff - I'd disabled that because at the time I didn't know what it was for. But now I do, so thanks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Might be a question for a different thread, but what would be the best pdf reader for iOS/iPhone? The Adobe one seems a bit slow to refocus.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 29, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Might be a question for a different thread, but what would be the best pdf reader for iOS/iPhone? The Adobe one seems a bit slow to refocus.

Not the right thread, but the answer will invariably be "Free: iBooks, paid: GoodReader (well worth its price tag, though you need to buy separate apps for iPhone/iPad)"

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011

Atasi posted:

Select the tracks you want to re-download in iTunes and press Delete, when prompted choose to delete the files from the local computer, this will move them to the trash. Make sure the "Remove from iCloud" checkbox is not selected. Once you remove the files the album/songs will still be listed in your iTunes library, now click the "Download from iCloud" button. That's it. :)

Perfect, thanks. I just really want the main single from that album to match :D

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

zalmoxes posted:

Is anyone else having trouble updating playcounts from the iphone? i noticed that it updates star rating right after i change it, but no matter how many times i listen to the same song over and over, the play count in my iTunes does not update.

I've had that happen when I sync my iphone. Some songs I know I've listened to the same day as I sync to iTunes don't update. Others, the play count doubles :psyduck:

I'm sure a solution has been posted here, but I can't find it for the life of me :(

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there an easy way to remove apps that are in iTunes on my computer but not on my phone, other than just going through them one by one and deleting them?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And now for my favorite playlist for the new year:

Alright, and let's see what the damage is for the playlist "Not Yet 2012".

:frogsiren: 28 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes. :frogsiren:

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

IUG posted:

And now for my favorite playlist for the new year:

Alright, and let's see what the damage is for the playlist "Not Yet 2012".

:frogsiren: 28 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes. :frogsiren:

You have a loving huge collection, dude.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.
Apologies if you guys think this is the wrong thread but the problem does appear to be related to iTunes at least in part.

Is anyone else seeing a crazy amount of spam in their Console log from usbmuxd in relation to the Wifi Syncing of iTunes and a iPhone 4S / iPad 1? I'm using an AirPort Express base station and a couple of Airport Express stations to extend the signal so it's all Apple hardware being used. OSX is Lion 10.7.2, iTunes 10.5.2 and iOs 5.01 on both iDevices.

It's driving me crazy cause I like to keep my console relatively error free. It doesn't appear to affect the oepration of the products for the most part, but the constant handshaking and Bonjour activity can't be as good for my battery life as connecting once and being done with it. It appears that the devices are associating and disassociating all the time?

I'm not at home so I can't post the output but a quick browse of the various Mac forums shows I am not the only one seeing it. Has anyone come across this and knows for sure how to shut it up, short of disabling Wifi Sync? Tonight I'm going to troubleshoot by turning off the two Expresses in case the issue is related to the iDevices handing off to the other AP's but I'd really REALLY like to get this fixed.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not everything in Console is an error message. Most of usbmuxd's messages are informational log entries. Wifi Sync only happens when the iOS device is plugged into power or you manually tell it to sync. I'd stop looking at Console unless you know a problem is occurring.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is this the appropriate venue to ask about iTunes Match?
Because I've had it for a month, and the tracks loaded via match to my phone are for the most part not downloading their cover art. All of which I had meticulously fixed previously and had 100% coverage on before enabling match.
I am seeing about 10% of the tracks actually displaying their cover art when the phone is playing.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone else fix it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why does iTunes Match insist on "matching" my music with edited versions?

This is really annoying.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I use MusicBrainz Picard to tag all of my music but these changes are not reflected in iTunes until I either play the file or Get Info and click OK. This is a bit of a pain when I have tagged hundreds of songs and want to update the info in iTunes.

I seem to remember that in older versions of iTunes I could just select my whole Library, Get Info and click OK and it would update all of my files. This doesn't seem to happen anymore (running iTunes 10.5.2 on Mac OS 10.7.2).

It works when I consolidate my Library but I was hoping there was a quicker way to do it. I've had a look on Doug's iTunes Scripts but couldn't seem to find anything that would do the job.

Am I missing something really simple?!

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is this the appropriate venue to ask about iTunes Match?
Because I've had it for a month, and the tracks loaded via match to my phone are for the most part not downloading their cover art. All of which I had meticulously fixed previously and had 100% coverage on before enabling match.
I am seeing about 10% of the tracks actually displaying their cover art when the phone is playing.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone else fix it?

Yeah it does this for me too which drives me nuts. I have a smart playlist for stuff without cover art and none of it shows up in there either so it's a pain to track down and fix. It seems the first track of each album has cover art, and the rest don't.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Chemmy posted:

This is really annoying.

Wow. That really is bad. I just got 99 problems and a _____ ain't one. Not acceptable.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
My music is pretty screwed up right now. Albums don't match, album artists are missing, and a number of other crap. I want to fix it all, but it would take a lot of time to fix it myself and iTunes can't clean anything up when I try to let it do it itself. Is there anything I can download or buy to get everything fixed, or am I just going to have to sit down and go through each song individually :ohdear:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Judging by the responses I've received from iTunes Support, Apple's aware of it and looking into it.

But yeah, it's pretty damned annoying in the mean time.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

My music is pretty screwed up right now. Albums don't match, album artists are missing, and a number of other crap. I want to fix it all, but it would take a lot of time to fix it myself and iTunes can't clean anything up when I try to let it do it itself. Is there anything I can download or buy to get everything fixed, or am I just going to have to sit down and go through each song individually :ohdear:

True beaTunes, my tags are neat but it caught plenty of problems. If your tags are irredeemable, it also can automatically fill in information.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Judging by the responses I've received from iTunes Support, Apple's aware of it and looking into it.

But yeah, it's pretty damned annoying in the mean time.

Conceptually it should be easy. Give me an option in Settings:

"Do you want Explicit or Clean music?"
[__] Explicit
[__] Clean

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've recently hopped on the SABnzbd/Sickbeard automation train, but the last step in the process to get it cleanly into iTunes is still a manual one, either using iVI or Magic Media Marker. Just wondered if anyone else was trying to use iTunes/ATVs in conjunction with Sickbeard? I know I can do it with Automator and Handbrake, but then I'm still missing the art and metadata.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Chemmy posted:

Conceptually it should be easy. Give me an option in Settings:

"Do you want Explicit or Clean music?"
[__] Explicit
[__] Clean

Not to nitpick but it would probably be something like
code:
Allow iTunes Match to match explicit versions of music
[ ]
Yes it shouldn't be too hard but it's annoying for those of us who have already deleted and redownloaded a majority of the music unknowingly.

edit: Though I'm not sure how it would all work. There are some songs I do not want the explicit lyrics for (and have the non-explicit versions) because I play them in spin class.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ephori posted:

I've recently hopped on the SABnzbd/Sickbeard automation train, but the last step in the process to get it cleanly into iTunes is still a manual one, either using iVI or Magic Media Marker. Just wondered if anyone else was trying to use iTunes/ATVs in conjunction with Sickbeard? I know I can do it with Automator and Handbrake, but then I'm still missing the art and metadata.

My copy of iVI will put the final file right into iTunes.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So do you have iVI watch the top level of the Sickbeard output? Right now I've got Sickbeard moving the finished, sorted files into the same folder location and structure that iTunes is using, and when I point iVI at the top level, it tries to grab everything that's already been converted and added to iTunes. I guess I could stop using Sickbeard to categorize the folders and leave it all up to iVI. I hadn't tried that yet.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to automatically import _AND_ sync (to my iPhone) different videos every night?

For example, my TV recording software (something like pyTiVo) creates an .MP4 file every night and I'd love for these to automatically import into iTunes and then also be marked to sync to my iPhone.

A bonus would be to delete older episodes automatically from iTunes but that's probably asking too much, heh.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Have your player move the file into the Automatically Add to Itunes folder. Create a smart playlist that includes type "movies" and "added in the last day" (or whatever), and mark it to be synced.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Vinlaen posted:

Is it possible to automatically import _AND_ sync (to my iPhone) different videos every night?
The "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder can handle the importing, but you'd need a script that starts the sync to get the videos to the iPhone.

edit: Beaten.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks!!

I didn't even think about the smart playlist idea for selectively syncing only certain items.

A few more quick questions...

1) Is it possible to delete items automatically (from the entire library and filesystem) after a certain number of days? (if not, any links to the iTunes SDK/API? [I can't find anything in the iTunes COM API though...])

2) How do I change the time iTunes checks for podcasts? I'd like it to automatically check and download in the middle of the night (ie. 3:00am)

3) How can I prevent iTunes from prompting me for a username/password for my passworded podcasts? (ie. GiantBomb's subscriber video podcasts)

(Maybe I'm an idiot, but it's surprisingly hard to find these answers via google...)

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 10, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got 99 problems but a ain't one.

One of them is iTunes Match downloading the censored versions of songs of my uncensored originals. Is there any way to tell iTunes to knock this off?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
From what I've seen and heard, it's a known problem that currently has no workaround.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any way of reading / keeping up with what exactly they're working on as far as Match goes? I really want to start using it but I found it impossible to use if smart playlists are your main tools to put music on your device.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

benisntfunny posted:

Wow. That really is bad. I just got 99 problems and a _____ ain't one. Not acceptable.

99 cent problems.. and a glitch ain't one. :-(

Mr. Bonky
Jan 28, 2001
So I came to this thread hoping my playlist woes would be answered using iTunes match. Apparently I'm not the only one having a problem. I just want to be able to see what I've recently added to iTunes and play it on my iPhone when I'm on the go. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got 99 problems but a ain't one.

One of them is iTunes Match downloading the censored versions of songs of my uncensored originals. Is there any way to tell iTunes to knock this off?

There's not a way to fix it, but I've done some testing and I think I figured out what's going on. Right now iTunes uses an explicit tag that it puts in the MPEG-4 metadata, but the iTunes interface doesn't expose that metadata to change. In cases where there is only an explicit version of the song, this isn't a problem; but when they are both available, iTunes picks the one that does not have the explicit tag since it matches more closely.