Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

golgo13sf posted:

The ending is righteous. I was on the elliptical doing cardio when I read it and noticed my legs were going top speed it was so badass.

Kaladin is such a badass. The ending of Way of Kings was so amazing that I can't wait to read the next offerings. Also, a theory about Dalinar that I have is Dalinar is one of the Heralds. Specifically Kalak, the herald the walked off in the prologue.If true, that might make him even more of a badass compared to Kaladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
If you're not reading his twitter, Sanderson went on a tear last night and wrote a crazy number of scenes, crazy even for him. Only a few to go before the first draft is complete.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you guys this is actually happening

vvv * edit - sorry, got threads mixed up. This is for A Memory of Light.

isk fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 21, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
A bunch of scenes for what? Stormlight book 2? That Chalkboard Starcraft book he mentioned? The entirety of the second Mistborn trilogy over a particularly lazy weekend?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

A bunch of scenes for what? Stormlight book 2? That Chalkboard Starcraft book he mentioned? The entirety of the second Mistborn trilogy over a particularly lazy weekend?

Looks like it is the last of the WoT series. When I checked this morning, he said he only had one more scene to write and then would be inserting the ending that Robert Jordan had written.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
It's done. Well, except for the revisions and editing. And Brandon said probably Fall & outrigger novels seem unlikely.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Vaevicti posted:

Kaladin is such a badass. The ending of Way of Kings was so amazing that I can't wait to read the next offerings. Also, a theory about Dalinar that I have is Dalinar is one of the Heralds. Specifically Kalak, the herald the walked off in the prologue.If true, that might make him even more of a badass compared to Kaladin.
He's definitely not Kalak, seeing as how Kalak shows up in that last scene with Hoid.

The visions Dalinar gets probably have something to do with the wish/renumeration he got that went along with his wife being erased from his memory. I'm really looking forward to seeing whether that was the wish or the price for the wish. Or it could be something else entirely like the Almighty somehow implating subliminal messages in "The Way of Kings", I dunno.

Algid fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 21, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Algid posted:

He's definitely not Kalak, seeing as how Kalak shows up in that last scene with Hoid.

The visions Dalinar gets probably have something to do with the wish/renumberation he got that went along with his wife being erased from his memory. I'm really looking forward to seeing whether that was the wish or the price for the wish. Or it could be something else entirely like the Almighty somehow implating subliminal messages in "The Way of Kings", I dunno.

Nah, the last guy is Taln.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

arioch posted:

Nah, the last guy is Taln.
Oh right, Kalak was prologue pov guy :doh:

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

Algid posted:

Oh right, Kalak was prologue pov guy :doh:

Yes, he was the prologue guy. There are 2 reasons why I think he is a Herald.

1) The visions. In the prologue they say the Heralds are constantly reborn and doomed to continually fight the darkness. I think that whatever they did to break the cycle made it so he does not remember he is a Herald like in previous reincarnations. But this time he had his "visions".

2) When fighting the Parshendi Shardbearer in the last fight sequence, the shardbearer knocked Dalindar down and then said "Is is you! I have finally found you". Dalindar has to be someone important for the Parshendi Shardbearer to recognize him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fordan posted:

It's done. Well, except for the revisions and editing. And Brandon said probably Fall & outrigger novels seem unlikely.

My god this man is a machine.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Vaevicti posted:

2) When fighting the Parshendi Shardbearer in the last fight sequence, the shardbearer knocked Dalindar down and then said "Is is you! I have finally found you". Dalindar has to be someone important for the Parshendi Shardbearer to recognize him.

I interpreted this as him saying "it's you, the famous Shardblade-bearing badass leader of my enemies! I've finally found you!"

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I actually think Vaevicti is on to something, and that he might be a herald. But I think in that scene with the other shard bearer saying "It's you!" he was talking about when Dalinar saved Sadeas and nearly killed the other shard bearer (which I assume was the one saying "I finally found you!"

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

IRQ posted:

My god this man is a machine.

He said that, if he wrote to the end last night (which he did), he would have written 10,000 words IN A DAY.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Lascivious Sloth posted:

But I think in that scene with the other shard bearer saying "It's you!" he was talking about when Dalinar saved Sadeas and nearly killed the other shard bearer (which I assume was the one saying "I finally found you!"

The Parshendi shardbearer never appeared in the battle where he saved Sadeas. In the battle the shardbearer appeared, he arrived to late to join the battle. Also, the scene doesn't seem like the Parshendi shardbrearer was saying "I have found you, my foe at last." Otherwise why bother speaking in Alethi or letting Dalinar live?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Good points, I must have misheard it on the audiobook or forgot. This only gives credence to the theory that Dalanar is a herald.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I don't remember this being discussed in any of the books, but I was just reading through the Mistborn RPG, and in the section about Hemalurgy it discusses that the only benefit that a Feruchemist gains when pierced with a Hemalurgic spike containing someone else's Feruchemic power is access to the sacrificed Feruchemist's metalminds. :aaa:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I just finished Alloy of Law, and I found it extremely hilarious that in order to prevent being Soothed or Rioted, people wore tinfoil hats :tinfoil:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kruller posted:

I just finished Alloy of Law, and I found it extremely hilarious that in order to prevent being Soothed or Rioted, people wore tinfoil hats :tinfoil:

Yeah, too bad everyone reading forgot about that when they got to the pure hilarity that is the revelation of High Imperial.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, too bad everyone reading forgot about that when they got to the pure hilarity that is the revelation of High Imperial.

I quite enjoyed that as well. It's almost as if Sazed had a sense of humor when he became a god.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Kruller posted:

I quite enjoyed that as well. It's almost as if Sazed had a sense of humor when he became a god.

Its mostly because Spook was Lord Mistborn after the events of the Trilogy.

So his goofy rear end language ended up becoming high imperial because he was running things.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kruller posted:

I honestly didn't pick up on that because it made so much sense in context. Sanderson!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Do you think he came up with that joke while writing Mistborn itself and couldn't justify putting it in until Alloy of Law? I think he did.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

I honestly didn't pick up on that because it made so much sense in context. Sanderson!

I didn't pick it up until my second read, and only then because I was talking about allomancy with my buddy.

"Hey man, they came up with a way to stop rioters and soothers! They just wear these hats lined with...foil. Oh my god, they wear tinfoil hats!"

Silverfang
Dec 30, 2011
I like to imagine that Sanderson has an entire office floor for his writing.

Complete with an office for each series.

I honestly cannot imagine any other way he would be able to keep everything straight and separate for the sheer volume of work to cranks out.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Silverfang posted:

I like to imagine that Sanderson has an entire office floor for his writing.

Complete with an office for each series.

I honestly cannot imagine any other way he would be able to keep everything straight and separate for the sheer volume of work to cranks out.

I imagine him having an evil writing lair like the Dark Brotherhood lair in Skyrim.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Victorkm posted:

Its mostly because Spook was Lord Mistborn after the events of the Trilogy.

Hmm. I've only read the first Mistborn and this sounds ridiculous.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blue squares posted:

Hmm. I've only read the first Mistborn and this sounds ridiculous.

I bet it does. But Sanderson gets it there and it really isn't. Well any more than anything in books like this isn't ridiculous.

Ecwfrk
Sep 1, 2007
I'm just about done with the 4th book in the Alcatraz series.
Yes, they're kids books but that lets him really go nuts with his silly side which is quite entertaining. Especially since a lot of the humor is at his own expense.

Hope the final book gets released eventually.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I am reading mistborn right now. Does the lord ruler story remind anyone else of Jecht's journey in ffx?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

redreader posted:

I am reading mistborn right now. Does the lord ruler story remind anyone else of Jecht's journey in ffx?

Its ultimate conclusion is somewhat similar.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I am reading The Way of Kings, and it's pretty good. It feels padded sometimes, especially in the first half, but I am enjoying it. I have been mostly avoiding this thread due to spoilers, but I just got to the scene where Tien is drafted into the army and Kaladin joins him.

The whole bit bugged me, just wanted to get it off my chest before I forgot, sorry for spoiler wall:
The whole thing has practically no gravity because we KNOW where Kaladin ends up and his motivation for doing so falls a bit flat. The only reason to even have those flashbacks is to tell the story after you've basically told the ending, so it better be compelling or enlightening in some way, but I didn't feel like it was.
I think it would have worked better to have Kaladin slavishly devoted to the idea of being a surgeon and holding his father up as a near god-like figure. That, and a strong devotion to family, made continuously stronger by their isolation within the village. His little martial exercises here and there should be a guilty thing, almost a frightful thing for him.
Finding out that his father stole the spheres THE DAY OF the recruitment instead of months before, changing his image of him completely, and of needing to protect his brother, all of those things swirling around would have made for something more compelling, maybe. Use his guilt over that tiny fleck of maybe getting a thrill out of the spear that surgery never gives him.
As it stands, you know EXACTLY what's going to happen during that whole scene, sure there's the red herring TIEN choice, but you know what's coming in the next paragraph or three. It's like Kaladin has been idling the whole time just waiting for this.

I don't know, haven't finished the book, it will probably work out, if all this crap is addressed by later chapters(I just finished the bit where Shallan is pursued by sketch-monsters and injures herself please tell me to just shut up and keep reading.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Shut up and keep reading. :) You should be hitting the Avalanche soon, iirc.

In all seriousness, Kaladin's flashbacks are some of the weakest points in the novel for me, and I think they were really placed all wonky. There was some discussion of this in the thread earlier, I think. I'll be glad once Brandon gets around to annotating TWoK to see some of his thoughts behind all this.

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

You really should just shut up and keep reading. Honestly, it's one of the best books I have read in a while.

While the flashbacks are kind of out of place, I feel they add to the overall story. You may know the "ending", but you don't know the journey and the flashbacks explain it. The whole surgeon thing explains why he is so drawn to becoming a Knights Radiant and really flesh out his character. I also especially liked the flashback of him defeating the Shardbearer.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I've been flying a lot these past weeks and did a re-read of TWoK in audio book format. Now I'm all excited for the second book again and still have 2 years to wait :(

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, good deal. I am enjoying it and all, I just felt really letdown by a lot of the flashback stuff. We'll see how it shakes out.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I skipped all the flashbacks this time around, and I liked it a lot better.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think the main point of the flashbacks is to show that Kaladin had a shardblade sitting there on the ground ready for him to pick it up and become a badass like all the others, but he didn't. Wasn't that one of the last scenes revealed in them?

I could be wrong, but I think that act is going to be huge later on. Remember, we still don't know why the older Knights Radiant all put down there Shardblades and plate and walked away. I'm guessing Odium is involved somehow and I can't wait for the next book.

:munch:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Cartoon Man posted:

I could be wrong, but I think that act is going to be huge later on. Remember, we still don't know why the older Knights Radiant all put down there Shardblades and plate and walked away. I'm guessing Odium is involved somehow and I can't wait for the next book.

If I had to make a wild guess I'd say the Knights were just psychologically exhausted. They'd spend their entire lives selflessly fighting for humanity, and probably just got repeatedly poo poo on by people who wanted them to conquer their rival neighbors, or thought they were too mysterious. Also I can't imagine that the mass enslaving of the Voidbringers gelled at all with their philosophical beliefs.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

keiran_helcyan posted:

If I had to make a wild guess I'd say the Knights were just psychologically exhausted. They'd spend their entire lives selflessly fighting for humanity, and probably just got repeatedly poo poo on by people who wanted them to conquer their rival neighbors, or thought they were too mysterious. Also I can't imagine that the mass enslaving of the Voidbringers gelled at all with their philosophical beliefs.

Probably had a lot to do with The Heralds breaking the Oathpact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

There's definitely something wrong specifically with the blades and fighting though. There's an entire country that just happens to not have the highstorm, and appears to extremely non-violent, while we hear about some sort of god-being called Cultivation that's distinct from "the Almighty". Then there's the other flashback Dalinar had with that female Knight telling him that they fight so others wouldn't have to and that even fighting against the Desolations have consequences.

The Herlads broke the Oathpact because they were being tortured in some sort of hell-dimension for it. If that's the consequencing of fighting, then yeah, the Knights would have had a pretty good reason to not want to fight anymore.