Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Might be a dumb question but where can I watch these runs, the page with the schedule doesn't have a stream link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Main page, right up front after you scroll down a bit.

e: is the stream choppy for everyone else?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
On the speeddemosarchive main page. You might have trouble getting there with all of the traffic so you can use http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda as well.

zxqv8 posted:

e: is the stream choppy for everyone else?

Yeah, it is hiccuping a fair amount.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's fairly smooth for me, as far as streams go.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I can't find the stream? It's not on the SDA front page or marathon page.

Violen posted:

Is this worth its own thread, do you think? I could work a good OP up.

Or at least, maybe it'd be an idea for peaches to PM a mod and get the title changed temporarily, and edit a link to the marathon in the OP. Awareness, yo! We need as many people available to watch trihex dominate Yoshi's Island as possible.

Absolutely. I could also whip up a nice OP.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Only using the main stream (480p+) and the irc, runs smooth as butter for me.

It absolutely is on the front page. Guess you can thank your browser caches if you still see the old one.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If the frontpage is down, you can watch at
http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."

evilalien posted:

Yeah, it is hiccuping a fair amount.

Hiccuping for me too. Ah well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Even in 240p I'm getting hiccups. Not a good internet connection. :sigh:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

FWIW, it's running mostly fine for me on 480p+.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I ran a marathon in September and those hiccups is either on their end or twitch.tv. It's not easy to prevent.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well I managed to work things out so I actually will get to see Tri-Hex's YI run tonight. I'm pretty happy as I was looking down the pages for what I'd miss and was instantly disappointed but things worked out in the end so hooray.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Well I managed to work things out so I actually will get to see Tri-Hex's YI run tonight. I'm pretty happy as I was looking down the pages for what I'd miss and was instantly disappointed but things worked out in the end so hooray.

Trihex's run is about to start in a couple minutes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some of the poo poo these guys do is mindblowing, this Yoshi's story one is amazing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus. Watch Trihex's hands as he plays. :psyduck:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Alteisen posted:

Some of the poo poo these guys do is mindblowing, this Yoshi's story one is amazing.

This is Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story is the (generally considered inferior) sequel on the N64.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ChibiSoma posted:

Jesus. Watch Trihex's hands as he plays. :psyduck:

I watch his twitch.tv stream sometimes, what's really great is when he uses his face to press another button on the controller because he ran out of fingers, a 'chinput' is the term.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's grabbing poo poo he can't even see, how the gently caress. :psyduck:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Thread dedicated to the marathon is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458728

I plan to be fairly regular in updating the OP but I'm not gonna be awake for 6 straight days... I'll at least keep the current day's list going and the current total as up-to-date as I can.

Criticisms?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Is there a link to the updated schedule? I want to see how everyone did.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

factorialite posted:

Is there a link to the updated schedule? I want to see how everyone did.

http://sorrowind.net/marathon/#schedule

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Surprise Blast Corps run with PEACHES_ happening right now on the marathon!

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Yay Peaches! One hand PR. :neckbeard:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
And a speedrun thread shoutout! Apparently we're awesome.

Wideshanks
May 17, 2007

B.M.O.F.
Big Man On Forums
The Meat Boy stuff is amazing

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
What they would do if ZELDA won the Zelda 1 naming donation war?

Wideshanks
May 17, 2007

B.M.O.F.
Big Man On Forums
They went from something amazing like meat boy to six. loving. hours of final fantasy 7. It's like watching speed-runs of bass fishing.

When Breakdown was talking about Meat Boy Runners it made me think of NetRunner.

Wideshanks fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 8, 2012

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

Wideshanks posted:

They went from something amazing like meat boy to six. loving. hours of final fantasy 7. It's like watching speed-runs of bass fishing.

When Breakdown was talking about Meat Boy Runners it made me think of NetRunner.

Gotta have something to put butts in the seats.

To be fair they've done long rear end RPG speedruns like every marathon so far. FF7 is just the paint drying of JRPGs.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
My understanding is it's largely in there because it's so inserted into nerd nostalgia that it just lends itself to making shitloads of money. I think the game's aged terribly and I personally have watched about 5 minutes of it during both years but people love it and just throw their wallets at it so I understand why they do it.

I really wish they wouldn't close with it and I really wish they'd put the first 6 hours on from like 3AM-9AM so people can sleep and not really miss anything but what can you do?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Wideshanks posted:

Netrunner was a bomb rear end game and I really wish they'd make a non-collectable version of it because it was the best non-symmetrical card game I've ever played. You are a cool guy for remembering it exists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I missed it, was the Halo Reach speed run as big a trainwreck as last year's Halo run?

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

RBA Starblade posted:

I missed it, was the Halo Reach speed run as big a trainwreck as last year's Halo run?

Yeah unfortunately. I feel bad for Cody because of that, he looked really upset during his entire run. :(

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Obscure Risk posted:

Yeah unfortunately. I feel bad for Cody because of that, he looked really upset during his entire run. :(

No, it wasn't. Yeah, he missed a lot of tricks, and yeah, he did come in about 20-25 minutes over estimate, but he still managed to complete the game on Legendary and he didn't gently caress over the schedule because they were ahead anyway.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wrong thread!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm upset I missed the Trihex run. :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You can rewatch the stream here until they get it up onto SDA's site.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

No, it wasn't. Yeah, he missed a lot of tricks, and yeah, he did come in about 20-25 minutes over estimate, but he still managed to complete the game on Legendary and he didn't gently caress over the schedule because they were ahead anyway.

While this is true, I hope if he comes back to run a Halo game again, he does it on Heroic. Legendary has so much luck involved in it. I don't know a lot about him, but I feel bad as Cody seemed like a cool guy from the Mirror's Edge race.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

This has been a good experience.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
TASVideos just published another abuse classic: Super Mario World cleared in 2:36 via memory corruption. The run can be roughly summed up as "Yoshi vomits a lot of fish, Mario conjures a Yoshi out of thin air, jumps around, game ends."

It's kind of surreal, like someone piped one of Miyamoto's bad dreams to a monitor.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, we talked about masterjun's video documenting the glitch a couple weeks ago:

Dr. Dos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zOvwmhNb_I

What on earth did they do to Mario World?

Apparently it's spawned an entire new "Corrupts Memory" category on the site? There's some runs that need to be reclassified, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Apparently it's spawned an entire new "Corrupts Memory" category on the site? There's some runs that need to be reclassified, then.
Yeah, they already moved the Mario Land 2 run into it.

I'm pretty sure they'll have to reclassify Earthbound (corrupts stack to open a debug menu), NES Mega Man would be borderline depending on how they define it.

• Locked thread