Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Rufo posted:

Lol "whois protection", just put bogus info in or a bundlebox address or something.

ICANN requires all Who-is data to be accurate and relevant. By providing false information, you risk possible domain suspension or cancellation.
http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/ra-agreement-21may09-en.htm#3.7.7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

ICANN requires all Who-is data to be accurate and relevant. By providing false information, you risk possible domain suspension or cancellation.

Some registrars like 1&1 and OVH occasionally mail crap and will suspend all your services if it bounces/retuentosender. Iirc OVH also asks for multiple forms of ID if yourw not french or something

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

DarkLotus posted:

Bundlebox addresses are valid addresses you can have poo poo mailed to, hth

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rufo posted:

Bundlebox addresses are valid addresses you can have poo poo mailed to, hth

Bundlebox costs $15 just to sign up and seems geared towards re-shipping packages to countries other than the US for huge sums of money, hth.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Reposting since this was at the end of the last page and I don't want people to miss out possible money savings:

Namecheap: We say NO to #SOPA (our official stance)

Coupons:
Lithium Hosting - Save 33% on hosting with promo code "SOPASUCKS" & Domain registration / transfers as low as $8.95 with promo code "NOSOPA"
*Name Cheap - has a "special discount deal": "BYEBYEGD" or for (general?) transfers "SOPASUCKS"
Name.com - Use "NODADDY" for 10% off transfer ins (COM, NET, ORG, TV, INFO, IN, US, CO, ME & TEL) and also receive 40% off any hosting plans.
If for some reason you want to use DreamHost or HostGator :iiam:
DreamHost - use "NOTOSOPA" you get your first registration free.

*Namecheap

slashdot posted:

Unfortunately, the SOPAsucks code has reached its maximum allowance. Here are some more discount codes (ripped from their blog): Get reduced price registrations and transfers on com/net/org/biz domains using coupon code XMASJOY. Enjoy 10% off your first month of shared/reseller/business hosting using coupon code SNOWTIME and 10% off first month VPS hosting using code XVPS.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DNova posted:

Bundlebox costs $15 just to sign up

Oh right it was free when I signed up, doubtless there are similar free services still.

DNova posted:

and seems geared towards re-shipping packages to countries other than the US for huge sums of money, hth.

Yes, this is precisely what it's for. Fortunately you don't give a poo poo about actually receiving whatever crap you've been sent and can tell them to bin it.

I don't understand why people voluntarily give their personal information to companies who don't need it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I just pay the $1/yr or whatever it is for whoisguard and I have no problem with that. I don't need the complication of adding yet another service and layer of abstraction to things.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Also, GoDaddy, the poo poo heels that they are, have instantly caved to the pressure and reversed their stance on SOPA. Hilarious. What a bad company.

every
Apr 24, 2008

I have a quick htaccess question.

I have a client who recently moved his site from static HTML to Wordpress. She wants any request ending in .html or .htm to redirect to the root. How would I do this?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

every posted:

I have a quick htaccess question.

I have a client who recently moved his site from static HTML to Wordpress. She wants any request ending in .html or .htm to redirect to the root. How would I do this?

RedirectMatch (.*)\.htm http://wherever/
RedirectMatch (.*)\.html http://wherever/

or to do it without the 302 (301 with RedirectMatch permanent) redirect:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule \.htm$ index.php
RewriteRule \.html$ index.php

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

optikalus posted:

RewriteRule \.htm$ index.php
RewriteRule \.html$ index.php

RewriteRule \.html?$ index.php

c'mon son

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Rufo posted:

c'mon son

Touche. Don't drink and create (efficient) regex.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
So my mom wants to set up a geneology blog where she can post photos with comments and some old family diary excerpts. Since she is new to all this, I figured it'd be best to just have her set up a blogger account. The problem with this is that she wants to present the content in historical chronological order, not post order, and there's no clear way to do this using a blog structure (at least not with blogger).

Now, I could set this all up from scratch (I'm reasonably competent with design & hosting) but I'm trying to avoid turning into the de facto webmaster for this project. Are there any sites, like blogger but more free-form, that make creating websites/blogs reasonably easy (i.e., as little coding as possible)?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

mediawiki

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...
Hello! Is anyone here somewhat experienced with Enterprise Wikis? Ive been setting up a Twiki-Foswiki migration, but are there any other alternatives out there? MediaWiki is not exactly what i have in mind, and we are gonna use Joomla in a different way (Havent used it,so i dont know exactly how it works)

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
Could we please remove Hytek from list on the first post? Their reputation has gone to poo poo. Just do a search here and see how goons mention them. They held a goon's domain name against his will for leverage, harassed him on this forum and called him "pure scum." They are also just rude and non-responsive to support requests.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If we're delisting poo poo hosts take out

http://www.justhost.com
http://www.bluehost.com
http://www.inmotion.com
http://www.powweb.com
http://www.hostmonster.com

too, they're essentially one company anyways

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cock Democracy posted:

Could we please remove Hytek from list on the first post? Their reputation has gone to poo poo. Just do a search here and see how goons mention them. They held a goon's domain name against his will for leverage, harassed him on this forum and called him "pure scum." They are also just rude and non-responsive to support requests.

I tooky Hytek off the list, but I'm leaving all the other shared hosts on there. It's just a list, not recommendations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone in Europe looking for a cheap dedicated host, altho unmanaged, check out Hetzner.de. I've had a box there for three years now, went to upgrade mine today. 49€ a month for a Core i7-2600, 16GB DDR3 and 2x 3TB in a software RAID1. 25€/month extra for Windows Server 2008.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone in Europe looking for a cheap dedicated host, altho unmanaged, check out Hetzner.de. I've had a box there for three years now, went to upgrade mine today. 49€ a month for a Core i7-2600, 16GB DDR3 and 2x 3TB in a software RAID1. 25€/month extra for Windows Server 2008.

Their site says 8gb and 2x750gb. Still a good price for those specs.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DNova posted:

Their site says 8gb and 2x750gb. Still a good price for those specs.

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex

Intel® Core™
i7-2600
Quadcore incl.
Hyper-Threading-Technology
Ja
16 GB
DDR3 RAM
2 x 3 TB SATA
6 Gb/s HDD
7200 rpm
Software-RAID 1

Also, another vouch for hetzner. They own.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ah, thanks. Wow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's commodity hardware (--edit: at least the cheaper offers), but not the cheapest of the cheapest. According to lshw, my board's an Asus P8H67-M PRO.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 8, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Note that hetzner do that stupid thing with bandwidth that OVH do

quote:

We will permanently restrict the connection speed to 10 MBit/s if more than 5,000 GB/month are used (the basis for calculation is for outgoing traffic only. Incoming and internal traffic is not calculated). 100 MBit/s speed can be optionally restored by committing to pay 6,90 € (incl. VAT) per additional TB used.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rufo posted:

Note that hetzner do that stupid thing with bandwidth that OVH do

Unmetered, guaranteed 100mbs isn't cheap. That's like 30TB/month running all-out. Many providers will give you a '100mbs' connection that will only run up to 20/40mbs, or force you to share it with others.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Unmetered, guaranteed 100mbs isn't cheap. That's like 30TB/month running all-out.

Yes, absolutely true.

However this seems like something of a false dichotomy - can you actually get guaranteed 100mbit from hetzner even with this clause? It seems to be a moneymaking exercise rather than a way of improving their bandwidth.

The choice with budget servers seems to be between "non-guaranteed shared bandwidth" and "non-guaranteed shared bandwidth with a stupid throttling policy on top".

Bob Morales posted:

Many providers will give you a '100mbs' connection that will only run up to 20/40mbs, or force you to share it with others.

Yeah you can sometimes get lucky though - e.g. root.lu are quite good in my experience (lovely hardware though)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rufo posted:

Yes, absolutely true.

However this seems like something of a false dichotomy - can you actually get guaranteed 100mbit from hetzner even with this clause? It seems to be a moneymaking exercise rather than a way of improving their bandwidth.

The choice with budget servers seems to be between "non-guaranteed shared bandwidth" and "non-guaranteed shared bandwidth with a stupid throttling policy on top".

Yeah you can sometimes get lucky though - e.g. root.lu are quite good in my experience (lovely hardware though)
from hetzner to http://ipv4.proof.ovh.net/files/100Mio.dat
8% [===================> ] 9,237,892 10.9M/s ^C

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cyril Sneer posted:

So my mom wants to set up a geneology blog where she can post photos with comments and some old family diary excerpts. Since she is new to all this, I figured it'd be best to just have her set up a blogger account. The problem with this is that she wants to present the content in historical chronological order, not post order, and there's no clear way to do this using a blog structure (at least not with blogger).

Now, I could set this all up from scratch (I'm reasonably competent with design & hosting) but I'm trying to avoid turning into the de facto webmaster for this project. Are there any sites, like blogger but more free-form, that make creating websites/blogs reasonably easy (i.e., as little coding as possible)?

WebEden might be just the thing for a personal/family type site - no experience or coding needed, apparently. http://www.webeden.net/

every
Apr 24, 2008

Rufo posted:

c'mon son

I am bad at regex. Thank you so very much! One of these days...one of these days I'll learn it.

While I'm here... I'm moving my domain from GoDaddy to somewhere else (SOPA). Don't know why I had it in the first place. Unfortunately, I am pretty inexperienced with all this server / domain / registrar / hosting hoobajoob.

I *think* I set the registrar switch up correctly (though I haven't received a domain release authorization from GoDaddy yet) to switch over to NearlyFreeSpeech.net. I saw them recommended on the rules thread.

How long does it typically take for a registrar to send me that authorization thing? How long does the transfer take once its begun? I'm assuming my nameservers and stuff will still be set up the same way when the transfer has begun, so I'll need to update those away from GoDaddy, correct?

Last one: would anyone recommend hosting through NearlyFreeSpeech? I like to keep things simple (domain and hosting in the same place), but if there's a good reason not to, I certainly don't mind finding a better hosting solution.

Thanks a lot!!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
NFS is an amazing host but starts getting incredibly costly if you use more than like a tiny static site

every
Apr 24, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

NFS is an amazing host but starts getting incredibly costly if you use more than like a tiny static site

What about a tiny dynamic site?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

every posted:

Last one: would anyone recommend hosting through NearlyFreeSpeech? I like to keep things simple (domain and hosting in the same place), but if there's a good reason not to, I certainly don't mind finding a better hosting solution.

Thanks a lot!!
I can't speak to using NFS for hosting, but you're asking in the right place. The best way to pick a host is on price, features and customer reviews. As for keeping your domain and hosting with the same company, most people in this thread will tell you not to. Honestly, it really depends on the company you choose to do business with. Some in the past have been known to hold customer domains hostage, others will register a customer's domain in their own name so the customer truly doesn't own it or have any protections. If you don't trust the company, play it safe and keep your hosting and domain separate.

Most hosting companies are not true registrars which means they are reselling domains from Enom.com or Resellerclub.com just to name a couple. This means that even if your hosting company goes out of business or tries to hold your domain hostage, you can still go to Enom or Resellerclub for support and assistance with gaining control of your domain. I've helped a few goons with that process when their old host (M2O) when under. It's a pain in the rear end but it isn't impossible.

Bottom line, do a little research, get some reviews from people and pick the host that works best for your budget and needs.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

pants cat posted:

WebEden might be just the thing for a personal/family type site - no experience or coding needed, apparently. http://www.webeden.net/

Cool, I'll take a look.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DarkLotus posted:

As for keeping your domain and hosting with the same company, most people in this thread will tell you not to. Honestly, it really depends on the company you choose to do business with. Some in the past have been known to hold customer domains hostage, others will register a customer's domain in their own name so the customer truly doesn't own it or have any protections. If you don't trust the company, play it safe and keep your hosting and domain separate.

Lithium Hosting was very helpful and prompt when dealing with me when I was cancelling all of my services with them.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Wondering if I could get some advice on a decent web host. I'm currently on the Dreamhost shared service, which to be honest is good value for money but the site I am developing has outgrown it. What I'm after:

-Budget between $30-$40 dollars a month
-VPS or Dedicated (I don't want to go on to shared hosting)
-Bandwidth and diskspace are not much of an issue, the primary thing I want is speed
-Would need to get MYSQL and PHP hosting (assuming apache) on there.
-A host that is established (goon run or not I don't care)

Any suggestions welcome!

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Wondering if I could get some advice on a decent web host. I'm currently on the Dreamhost shared service, which to be honest is good value for money but the site I am developing has outgrown it. What I'm after:

-Bandwidth and diskspace are not much of an issue, the primary thing I want is speed

Any suggestions welcome!

Are you planning on managing the server yourself, or do you need the hosting company to manage it? If you're managing it yourself, I highly recommend Linode as their VPSes are some of the fastest out there. If you need management though, Wiredtree is pretty great if you can go just a little bit more in your price range. They are offering 50% of the first 2 months with the code "makethetransition" on their VPSes. See: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1077312

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Any suggestions welcome!

Seconding Linode. If you don't need more 200GB outbound transfer and you can manage it yourself, it's a safe bet.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Anaxite posted:

Seconding Linode. If you don't need more 200GB outbound transfer and you can manage it yourself, it's a safe bet.

With a budget of $40/month he could get 1G Ram, 40G disk, 400G bandwidth

Sonnekki
Mar 14, 2010
Just renewed my domain name and was about to pull the trigger on buying an annual plan on Linode, and then I thought about this thread.

I'm glad I didn't do that. Consensus seems to be month-to-month with lots of backups. Makes sense, but it didn't occur to tired me :v:

Thanks guys, you're awesome. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Sonnekki posted:

Just renewed my domain name and was about to pull the trigger on buying an annual plan on Linode, and then I thought about this thread.

I'm glad I didn't do that. Consensus seems to be month-to-month with lots of backups. Makes sense, but it didn't occur to tired me :v:

Thanks guys, you're awesome. :cheers:

I would call this the Linode exception. Having done business with them for as long as I have, I would be fine with doing annual with them if it made sense to me for the situation. I think the main point where annual payments become problematic are when people do it without having used the host first, or for very long.

That being said, the monetary savings by paying annually typically isn't worth the potential losses if things go bad with a yearly payment. But for me and my experience with Linode, I'd not have an issue doing that.