Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hoo boy. The Resistance is going to need to step up its recruiting going forward.

Seriously, that's a lot of ex-Resistance fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

terminal mehmet posted:

Xykon coming in and slaughtering everyone?

So close, and yet so far...

Also holy gently caress, Redcloak does not gently caress around when he's pissed. :stare:

Edit: I wonder how redcloak even managed to find that secret base? Maybe he got his hands on that resistance spy?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 6, 2012

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

As a chemistry student, the return of the Periodic Elementals just made my day. (side :science: : Osmium is a great choice, being the densest element and a very hard metal)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I wonder if I should just have elementals in my campaign be Periodic Elementals. Campaign set in Eberron.. hmm might just work.

So those are Bearded Devils and Glabrezuu?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, I suppose that shouldn't be surprising, after the assault on the prison, I'm sure Redcloak and Jirix stepped up their search for the insurgents, and there's only so many places in the area to hide. It was inevitable that the caves would be found.

Still, there is a possibility that the elf could teleport away with the phylactery before getting killed.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 6, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Still, there is a possibility that the elf could teleport away with the phylactery before getting killed.

It sounds like the one that could teleport was in the group that was already slaughtered (actually, probably the one being held by the demon?), so I assume that option is out...

I think the only hope the remaining resistance members have right now is that this is an unrelated raid and they're able to hide the amulet before they're all killed. But that would delay the story, so I think they're just going to lose.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bobulus posted:

It sounds like the one that could teleport was in the group that was already slaughtered (actually, probably the one being held by the demon?), so I assume that option is out...

I think the only hope the remaining resistance members have right now is that this is an unrelated raid and they're able to hide the amulet before they're all killed. But that would delay the story, so I think they're just going to lose.

Well there has to be some reason for them to have appeared otherwise this is just completely pointless filler, which Rich doesn't do unless it's to make a joke.

Why have two/three strips where they capture the phylactery if it's just going to fall almost immediately into Redcloak's hands anyway?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Because it's more interesting than "Welp, we found it, moving right along now."

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
They might be able to get a Sending off to Hinjo, who relays it on that Xykon is coming, now.

Xykon wanted Redcloak to be ready to ship out "two rounds" after the phylactery was found, so it seems plausible he let the Cloister effect end before he left the City, or else he risked waiting weeks before Redcloak could contact him. I guess he could have left the Cloister on and had Redcloak Summon him back somehow...

Geez, I genuinely have no idea where this is going, and I love it. How did this strip come so far from its lovely-D&D-joke-a-day roots? Rich has been on fire ever since Vaarsuuvius sold her soul.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Why have two/three strips where they capture the phylactery if it's just going to fall almost immediately into Redcloak's hands anyway?

A) As mentioned, more interesting than "welp, found it".

B) If the entire resistance is killed off, it resolves that storyline.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bobulus posted:

A) As mentioned, more interesting than "welp, found it".

B) If the entire resistance is killed off, it resolves that storyline.

A) Not really. It it doesn't go anywhere then it can't be more interesting that actually advancing the plot.

B) If the entire resistance is killed off then there was literally no reason for that storyline to exist in the first place. The resistance have done literally nothing of significance with regards to the main plot up to this point. If they aren't actually going to do anything then Rich wouldn't have set them up in the first place.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Alchenar posted:

A) Not really. It it doesn't go anywhere then it can't be more interesting that actually advancing the plot.

B) If the entire resistance is killed off then there was literally no reason for that storyline to exist in the first place. The resistance have done literally nothing of significance with regards to the main plot up to this point. If they aren't actually going to do anything then Rich wouldn't have set them up in the first place.

A) If you can't understand why a story is more interesting than no story then stop reading this now.

B) This is Redcloak's area of the story. We get to see him and Xykon do their poo poo here. Not every scrub in blue gets to turn into O-chul.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Well that settles the source of their intelligence at least.

How about besides Resistance escapes, and Redcloak delivers Phylactery to Xykon, we add option 3, Redcloak gets the phylactery but hangs on to it, for the same reason he kept torturing O-Chul, Tsutsiko finds out somehow, hilarity ensues.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Rooster posted:

Well that settles the source of their intelligence at least.

How about besides Resistance escapes, and Redcloak delivers Phylactery to Xykon, we add option 3, Redcloak gets the phylactery but hangs on to it, for the same reason he kept torturing O-Chul, Tsutsiko finds out somehow, hilarity ensues.

Well of course he holds onto it...it's his Holy Symbol after all.

The QUESTION is whether or not he tells Xykon he's got it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Reminder that Rich likes to leave out side stories so he has some extras for the book. My guess is the resistance storyline is one of them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nilbop posted:

A) If you can't understand why a story is more interesting than no story then stop reading this now.

B) This is Redcloak's area of the story. We get to see him and Xykon do their poo poo here. Not every scrub in blue gets to turn into O-chul.

If you don't understand the concept of Chekhov's Gun then you shouldn't be replying.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alchenar posted:

If you don't understand the concept of Chekhov's Gun then you shouldn't be replying.

Maybe both of you shouldn't be little prissy bitches.

Anyway, I'm really happy to see an "underdog" character like Redcloak, who is completely outclassed by Xykon, shown that they are competent and badass in their own right outside of those situations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

jng2058 posted:

Well of course he holds onto it...it's his Holy Symbol after all.

The QUESTION is whether or not he tells Xykon he's got it.

Well they're pretty much never going to leave Azure City until he's got it, right? So he'll tell Xykon. All for the plan and whatnot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shugojin posted:

Well they're pretty much never going to leave Azure City until he's got it, right? So he'll tell Xykon. All for the plan and whatnot.

That depends on whether or not Vaarsuvius and Durkon are right in their speculation that Xykon's willing to go for it even without the phylactery. If they are, and Redcloak knows it, this could well be the chance he's been looking for to get some kind of leverage on the Big X.

Notice, by the way, that there aren't any hobgoblins around. It's just Redcloak and a bunch of summoned monsters. That means he can filch the phylactery and no one else will ever know.

As disappointed as I am to see that it looks all but certain that the Resistance is going to get wiped out, at least this may yet serve an important story point: That Redcloak has Xykon's phylactery and no one else knows that he has it.

EDIT: Also, the line about the quick response from the "spy" suggests to me that the whole thing has been a setup by Redcloak. They DID catch the spy, got the location of the caves from him(?), and now Redcloak's making his power play.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 6, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Poor, daft fools. Explaining the plan on-panel. That's a death sentence!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I'm rooting for Redcloak and didn't care that much for the resistance. I almost thought those bearded devils were half-fiend dwarves before I noticed their size.

Lots of summoned monsters is nice but if the blues and elves have a caster with banishment ready it could turn out badly for Redcloak.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poil posted:

Lots of summoned monsters is nice but if the blues and elves have a caster with banishment ready it could turn out badly for Redcloak.
And then he'll just cast something else. Redcloak's an epic-level cleric, remember?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Colon V posted:

And then he'll just cast something else. Redcloak's an epic-level cleric, remember?

I don't think it's ever been established that Redcloak is epic-level?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Donraj posted:

I don't think it's ever been established that Redcloak is epic-level?

OotS Wiki posted:

Since Redcloak cast an Extended Summon Monster VII spell at the siege of Azure City, he is almost certainly at least a level 15 cleric, also, he is seen casting Blade Barrier, remarking that it would deliver 15d6 damage. Blade Barrier deals 1d6 per caster level (maximum 15d6).
Maybe not epic, but drat close.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the Order identified him as one of the few candidates in the world for being able to cast True Resurrection, too. Although that's more their guess than a statement of fact it shows what impression he gives off.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He cast Implosion during the cleric duel, that's a level 9 spell. This puts his minimum caster level at 17.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mystic Mongol posted:

He cast Implosion during the cleric duel, that's a level 9 spell. This puts his minimum caster level at 17.

They really blew the sfx budget on that one.

I don't remember Implosion. It was Destruction that won the duel for him.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html Comic in question.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Rooster posted:

Yep. No Implosion. He won with Destruction (7th level spell).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

The Rooster posted:

That's probably my favorite strip.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

The Rooster posted:

He's only gained levels since then (Villains don't need to go out and gain experience, they just naturally do)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

crime fighting hog posted:

It's one of the few OOTS strips that can exist entirely on its own merits without knowing the story, the characters, or anything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

crime fighting hog posted:

"Wait a minute, I had a 22!"

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

The Rooster posted:

So I started reading a bit further.

And, uh, did we find out why Belkar is fireproof at all? I don't recall that.

Tinfoil hat time regarding what that might mean for his final death...

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Every time I get linked to an old comic, I end up reading the next 50 strips before I know what's going on. The story is just so good!

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

They mention the reason in that strip, he learned Evasion which is something that Rangers can learn, it's just a way of showing that theyve being gaining levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZeeToo posted:

The joke is that he got evasion, which is a level 2 thing for Rogues and a level 11 thing for Rangers so no one ever remembers that Rangers actually get evasion.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Silly me, I figured he was still leveling as a barbarian, which don't get it ever.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

New comic

Cue renewed debate on Redcloak's level now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Que definitive answer to Redcloaks level. Also him being a badass.

haha this strip is interesting.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html

Affi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 10, 2012