Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

BisonDollah posted:

Kill List owns and if you disagree I hate you.

Didn't the original DBAotD TV show exist before The Gate? Did that not have wee bastards anybody would love to stamp on?

Well, I hate you more! No, I liked it, but the ending just didn't jive with me. It's like it's from a different movie. The imagery doesn't line up as well as in, say, The Wicker Man, where it flows directly from the central axis of the movie: Christian/Pagan, State/Feudal, knowledge, power, etc. in progress or modernity/the unscathed chaos of Nature still lurking. Kill List seemed like it was building up an interesting picture of PTSD wreaking havoc on a veteran's family, and then...the hell? I mean, it's cool, but it doesn't really make sense with the themes of the movie. Yes, the murderous act itself does, but the specifically pagan/cult framing doesn't seem to follow from anything crucial to the themes of the movie. I can see where the scene might be speaking towards societal complicity, but there had to be a more cohesive way to convey that. I'm playing it safe with the spoiler tags, cause this is the kind of movie they were invented for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Aorist posted:

Well, I hate you more! No, I liked it, but the ending just didn't jive with me. It's like it's from a different movie. The imagery doesn't line up as well as in, say, The Wicker Man, where it flows directly from the central axis of the movie: Christian/Pagan, State/Feudal, knowledge, power, etc. in progress or modernity/the unscathed chaos of Nature still lurking. Kill List seemed like it was building up an interesting picture of PTSD wreaking havoc on a veteran's family, and then...the hell? I mean, it's cool, but it doesn't really make sense with the themes of the movie. Yes, the murderous act itself does, but the specifically pagan/cult framing doesn't seem to follow from anything crucial to the themes of the movie. I can see where the scene might be speaking towards societal complicity, but there had to be a more cohesive way to convey that. I'm playing it safe with the spoiler tags, cause this is the kind of movie they were invented for.

A page or two page somebody posted a pretty good interpretation of the events and how the main guy was possibly being groomed the whole time. It was an interesting read and made a lot of sense, you should scroll back a bit for it.

e: here you go mate

Craig Spradlin posted:

Okay, my (purely speculative) take:

From the beginning of the the film, Jay was being groomed for a specific role in the ritual at the end.

It was no coincidence that Fiona hit it off with Gal - this gave her a way to get access to Jay. During the dinner party, Fiona carves a symbol into the back of Jay's mirror. Presumably, this serves to "mark" him in some symbolic fashion. Once that has happened, Fiona dumps Gal, but continues to hang out with Shel in order to keep an eye on how things are going with Jay. The idea that the cult is keeping tabs on Jay is further reinforced by his visit to the doctor - that scene gave me a serious Rosemary's Baby vibe.

The contract begins with Jay's blood being mingled with the client's, and this again is part of the ritual designating Jay for his eventual role. My guess is that the ritual requires someone to sacrifice his own wife and child. Gal won't do because he doesn't have either.

All three kills on the list are part of the ritual. Both the priest and the librarian seem to know more than Jay does about what's happening. It may be that they were both part of the cult, and recognize Jay as some sort of ordained sacred executioner. His appearance means that they are intended to be sacrifices, and they're okay with this, which is why they both thank him. The M.P. - presuming that he's the dude in white who turns to face Jay when he starts shooting into the crowd - turns and presents himself as a target. He's the third of the three sacrifices. Gal's death in the ensuing chaos is just collateral damage.

Finally, it is arranged that Jay be placed in a situation where he sacrifices his own wife and child, and this completes his role in the ritual, and presumably the ritual itself, which is most likely intended to bring about something horrible/apocalyptic, etc., hence the client's talk about "reconstruction."

Yeah, basically it's Rosemary's Baby, and Jay is Mia Farrow.

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 7, 2012

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm a total sucker for found footage and documentary-style stuff, so I have to say: The first hour and fourteen minutes or so of The Devil Inside were actually all right. Not great, and nothing was particularly scary, but pretty solid stuff. Then that loving ending goes and ruins the whole goddamn experience. It's basically telling the audience, "Congratulations, you just spent nearly ten bucks (and more than an hour of your life) watching an advertisement."

Lots of disappointed people walking out of the theater after that one.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Robawesome posted:

A page or two page somebody posted a pretty good interpretation of the events and how the main guy was possibly being groomed the whole time. It was an interesting read and made a lot of sense, you should scroll back a bit for it.

e: here you go mate

Thanks, but it's not that I don't see the ending following logistically (the mirror carving wouldn't make sense otherwise), it's that it doesn't seem to follow thematically. The imagery is out of step with the kitchen sink drama, and the movie doesn't really do anything to tie them together. Which is surprising, as it pretty much hangs its hat on the ending.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Aorist posted:

Thanks, but it's not that I don't see the ending following logistically (the mirror carving wouldn't make sense otherwise), it's that it doesn't seem to follow thematically. The imagery is out of step with the kitchen sink drama, and the movie doesn't really do anything to tie them together. Which is surprising, as it pretty much hangs its hat on the ending.

yeah, I do agree with that. Within the last couple scenes it felt like I was in a Resident Evil game all of a sudden or something. Though after having read the above-quoted synopsis of events it just felt like I wasn't paying enough attention to strange stuff going on around the normal hitman stuff. I guess I just don't think it had to be as obvious as showing those straw masks earlier on or something, the sum of events is enough of a transition in imagery to me I suppose.

e: it's late, I'm tired and re-reading it I can't even discern that the above post makes sense, I do agree with you that it's a bizarre shift but looking back I'm kind of glad they shove you into it instead of hold your hand and guide you towards that direction in a slower fashion.

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 7, 2012

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

BisonDollah posted:

Kill List owns and if you disagree I hate you.

Didn't the original DBAotD TV show exist before The Gate? Did that not have wee bastards anybody would love to stamp on?

It looks like it did but they don't look as much like The Gate ripoffs as the new movie. They look more like tiny little coneheads that wear clothes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC-7t5VLLN4&t=2m29s

Also spoiler if you care because the scenes in that video are almost directly what's in the new one if I remember right. No big spoilers but I don't have any sound so I don't know whats being said.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Aorist posted:

It's a morality tale about someone that gets caught cheating the class system. Jay & Gal are living the middle-class life of Riley without actually earning it, paying for it fairly. If I was in debt with credit cards or cheating benefits I'd probably feel a little more affinity and be way more disturbed about their plight. The cult represents the Tory Governmentrelevant authorities catching up with Jay & forcing him to repent in the most biblical way.

I really wish I had the skill to talk about British politics and their relevance in this movie, but I can't.

Technetium posted:

It looks like it did but they don't look as much like The Gate ripoffs as the new movie. They look more like tiny little coneheads that wear clothes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC-7t5VLLN4&t=2m29s

Also spoiler if you care because the scenes in that video are almost directly what's in the new one if I remember right. No big spoilers but I don't have any sound so I don't know whats being said.

Ah! The original looks pretty fun. If there's just one LOCKED DOOR in it I'll scream, though.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 7, 2012

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
wow The Devil Inside opens with a 17 million Friday at the boxoffice, thats one of the biggest first days in January in history.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

lomzus posted:

wow The Devil Inside opens with a 17 million Friday at the boxoffice, thats one of the biggest first days in January in history.

There's no way word of mouth of the ending doesn't bury this film.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm a total sucker for found footage and documentary-style stuff, so I have to say: The first hour and fourteen minutes or so of The Devil Inside were actually all right. Not great, and nothing was particularly scary, but pretty solid stuff. Then that loving ending goes and ruins the whole goddamn experience. It's basically telling the audience, "Congratulations, you just spent nearly ten bucks (and more than an hour of your life) watching an advertisement."

Lots of disappointed people walking out of the theater after that one.

I've never actually heard an entire theater jeer a film until I went to The Devil Inside two days ago. Garbage.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I will be SUPREMELY disappointed if The Devil Inside doesn't drop at least 75% next weekend. Come on, you got the rare CinemaScore of 'F'*, don't let us down Devil Inside, let's see how low you can go!

(*For reference, a score of "B-" is usually considered pretty mediocre on this poll...)

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

weekly font posted:

There's no way word of mouth of the ending doesn't bury this film.

Does it even matter, I'm sure 17 million will well cover the costs of the movie, I'm sure they are well into profit after opening day.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Slasherfan posted:

Does it even matter, I'm sure 17 million will well cover the costs of the movie, I'm sure they are well into profit after opening day.

It cost 1 million.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If the people who made it learn anything from the backlash the ending is going to receive, I would love to see another project. Like I said, everything that isn't the ending (with the exception of some serious pacing issues) was all right. It's just the ending did everything it could to ruin the film - and succeeded, apparently.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

lomzus posted:

It cost 1 million.

Yeah, but I've read they've spent at least $35m on publicity and advertising.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If anyone was tempted to go to a Devil Inside screening just to see the audience reaction to being trolled, someone's done the work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX41IJ8xHGY

(I hope this isn't :filez:)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I actually really liked Kill List because of the way it treated this as a "normal" movie. I mean there was that undercurrent of something is not right at all and then "Holy poo poo". I kind of liked that it completely came out of left field to a degree with the ending. I'd say it's one of the better made low budget horror movies of last year.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lizardman posted:

If anyone was tempted to go to a Devil Inside screening just to see the audience reaction to being trolled, someone's done the work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX41IJ8xHGY

(I hope this isn't :filez:)

What a terrible theatre.

edit: I screamed (in my head) when Isabella basically just sat there and told the audience hello I am also possessed at this moment lol right after the baptism scene. Literally the least subtle thing ever ever ever

edit: The demon(s) inside mama Rossi called the thin priest a human being and launched him at the wall; he got up and literally said you mad

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 9, 2012

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Everything, it's just so terrible. Why don't they just step on these little fuckers?

Because they are all retards. When the monsters attack the one individual and leave him with slashes, knives, tools forks and god knows what sticking out of his body at every angle, they all assume he fell down the stairs.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Robolizard! posted:

What a terrible theatre.

edit: I screamed (in my head) when Isabella basically just sat there and told the audience hello I am also possessed at this moment lol right after the baptism scene. Literally the least subtle thing ever ever ever

edit: The demon(s) inside mama Rossi called the thin priest a human being and launched him at the wall; he got up and literally said you mad

The showing I went to had a theater employee walk in beforehand and announce to all of us that the previous showing had been really unruly - shouting, throwing stuff, etc. - and if there were any problems with this showing, the police would be called. I kind of figured it had to do with the sort of area the theater is in (we're in Camden County, after all), but after actually seeing the film - and the way the crowd reacted at the ending - I have to wonder if maybe things went awry when they saw how they'd wasted the past hour and fifteen minutes.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I think they should have released The Devil Inside on the same day world wide, this terrible word of mouth can't be good for it's worldwide grosses. It opens here in March.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's made millions and it's gonna make millions more, I'm sure. Regardless of word of mouth.

(I hope to be proven wrong.)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The ending is actually pretty rote for a 'found footage' film. It ends abruptly, as they all do. If the title card didn't come up afterward it would just be met with indifference. The problem is the title card makes it sound like there's some website that has the rest of the film available to watch. Of course it doesn't, it's just a crappy site drummed up by the marketing team.

It's hard to get that worked up about the ending really. The Director gave an interview and said that it was a marketing decision, not really one they agreed with but it was one NOT made by the film makers.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
My wife saw The Devil Inside with some friends last night (despite my intentionally vague warnings that they might not like it). They thought it had some good scares, their main complaint was that it was short.

Juanito fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 10, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dgZLZ7LbhLU

Trailer for Tobe Hooper's Djinn. It looks awful.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Juanito posted:

My wife saw The Devil Inside with some friends last night (despite my intentionally vague warnings that they might not like it). They thought it had some good scares, their main complaint was that it was short.

The thing is this movie doesn't even have any good scares. The best scare in the movie Isabella and the priests are walking down a sidewalk and a dog pokes it's head out and barks once From that point on it's just a door closing during an interviewnot to mention the mandatory person rushes the camera that you can see coming from 10 minutes away.

Fake edit: I debated putting spoilers. If you're into jump scares don't read the spoilers.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

foodfight posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dgZLZ7LbhLU

Trailer for Tobe Hooper's Djinn. It looks awful.

Looks like a crappy Rosemary's Baby remake.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Topper Harley posted:

Looks like a crappy Rosemary's Baby remake.

You're not kidding. Orientalist Rosemary's Baby at that. He's usually better than that, maybe it's just really scary?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The premise and setting, as far as I can tell from that trailer, look pretty interesting. It's like they've taken the trapped in a haunted house cliche and turned into being trapped under layers of continents, culture, clothing and religion.

On the other hand those are not the production values you'd hope for from a director with 40+ years experience.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

frozenpeas posted:

On the other hand those are not the production values you'd hope for from a director with 40+ years experience.

What is up with that? Carpenter also has this problem. Do they just forget how to make a movie look good or to hire the right personnel? Do they get their budgets slashed? Does 80s movie making not translate well to present time?

Look at Cronenberg, dude makes beautiful and fantastic movies. He really grew as time went on.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What is up with that? Carpenter also has this problem. Do they just forget how to make a movie look good or to hire the right personnel? Do they get their budgets slashed? Does 80s movie making not translate well to present time?

Look at Cronenberg, dude makes beautiful and fantastic movies. He really grew as time went on.
Not to mention Dario Argento.

How the gently caress do you go from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7_v_CRZxg

To this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08fCOAvU0U

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hedenius posted:

Not to mention Dario Argento.

How the gently caress do you go from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7_v_CRZxg

To this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08fCOAvU0U

Don't forget about this upcoming masterpiece.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also Wes Craven, George Romero and John McNaughton. Classic horror directors have never had a tendency to age gracefully.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also Wes Craven, George Romero and John McNaughton. Classic horror directors have never had a tendency to age gracefully.

I mentioned Carpenter and knew I was forgetting a whole slew of other obvious examples. Yeah these all suck too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wes Craven has never been particularly talented, just very goddamn lucky that his ideas tend to hit at the right time. Now he's even trying to relive some of his past hits either through producing remakes (except Nightmare) or just trying to ape previous films for new stuff (that last movie he did that was pretty much Freddy Kruger without finger-knives)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Tobe Hooper can't get funding to make movies in the US anymore.

I'm also not sure if age is really involved in his downfall so much as he wasn't that great to start with. Same with George Romero, really. I love some of their stuff but it's not the same level as watching Carpenter and Argento slide into horribleness. At least for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Wes Craven has never been particularly talented, just very goddamn lucky that his ideas tend to hit at the right time.

Yeah we're just gonna have to really seriously agree to disagree on this one.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I actually haven't seen much of Romero (only Dawn I think). What should I watch of his (besides the original Dead trilogy)? I'm actually kindof intrigued by his original plan for Day of the Dead.

And yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree about Wes Craven.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

foodfight posted:

I actually haven't seen much of Romero (only Dawn I think). What should I watch of his (besides the original Dead trilogy)? I'm actually kindof intrigued by his original plan for Day of the Dead.

Martin. Watch Martin right away. Then watch Creepshow. And, of course, the Dead trilogy (Dawn is probably the best all-around movie, but Night is inarguably the scariest movie he ever directed, and Day contains the most intense drama).

The rest of his stuff... eh. I hear the Crazies is very good but I somehow haven't gotten around to it yet. I actually really liked Land of the Dead, but I'm in the minority on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Romero's somewhat regrettable 2005 "Land of the Dead" incorporated elements from his original Day of the Dead script, including the lawless casino/bar/zombie arena zones. If you're interested in seeing how that played out, maybe give that a watch.