Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Where are you located?

Sorry, just came back to post that after getting a guy in Idaho with a perfect resume who stubbornly refuses to leave. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Sorry, just came back to post that after getting a guy in Idaho with a perfect resume who stubbornly refuses to leave. :v:

Any reason your homepage (https://www.hawknetworks.com) just has an ad to Dreamhost and nothing else?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ptier posted:

Any reason your homepage (https://www.hawknetworks.com) just has an ad to Dreamhost and nothing else?

I don't understand the internet.

Check this out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=393405191&forumid=22

and pretend it says "Network Administrator" all over it instead.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

I don't understand the internet.

http://www.openx.com looks like it might be having problems as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress me. Being told that my resume didn't make the cut for a job because I don't have the "minimum education requirements" when my friend works in the exact same position and has the same college degree is pretty loving infuriating.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
yup

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 11, 2022

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Turn off your ad blocker. :3:

I'm fairly selective about what networks get blocked. That page is the first page I've ever been to that doesn't load ANY stylesheet when networks are blocked.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Dolemite posted:

Heh, I bet I know exactly who your company is. I interviewed there a good while ago and the interviewer seemed pretty cool. We chatted a bit about music (I used to DJ in college and he said something about how he was in a band) which was a nice departure from the other interviewers at other places.

Unfortunately at the time, I was trying to break into the development field from general IT. So, I didn't have much development experience and it showed on the technical assessments. A shame because it did seem like a nice place to work.
That sounds pretty much like our interview process. We've got a lot of latitude regarding the specifics of our hiring process, and have a very short list of people you need to impress to get the job. Unfortunately, yeah, we're looking for someone with at least enough experience to be considered a "Web Applications Developer I".

Whiplash189
Feb 1, 2004
Sell crazy someplace else...we're all stocked up here.
Job Title: Web Application Developer

Job Location: Philadelphia, PA

Job Objective: This web developer will work as a member of the development team, participating in the full life cycle process of systems development, including the design, development, implementation, and testing of web-based software applications.

Tasks Performed:
- End-to-end development and maintenance of applications (front-end development, server-side development and database integration)
- Database development (MySQL)
- Translate concepts and designs into functioning applications
- Play a key role in the enhancement of our company’s web presence

Education and Experience
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent
- 2+ years of object-oriented application development and SQL database design work experience
- Languages: PHP, JavaScript, SQL, HTML, CSS, AJAX, JSON
- Experience in or desire to learn the ExtJS, MVC Frameworks, and MySQL Database

Please send Resume or Questions to adam@comstarsupply.com

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Something for you recruiter types:

When you send me an advert for a Network Engineer, I take the good time and trouble to prepare for and attend an interview, and I figure out that the job is CLEARLY desktop support, it's going to piss me off.

Not making any lateral moves, no thanks.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 10, 2012

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Similarly, if you're going to call me and say "We found your resume online," please actually read that resume. I shouldn't have to hastily explain my work history over the phone when I've already carefully written it up.

Or just keep doing this because it's a good indicator you're just a lateral move.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Bump!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=399075164&forumid=22

We're in Portland and we have job!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Guys complaining about recruiter tactics: There's a dedicated thread in CoC:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412795

Should probably keep this one clear for announcements.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Job Title: Web Application Developer

Job Location: Denver, CO

Job Objective:This position uses project specifications, statements of problems, and other procedures to design and create or modify computer application software, primarily involving the University's database and Web-based information systems, with emphasis in SharePoint and .NET web development.

Education and Experience
Minimum: Two years professional experience developing information system applications for Web-based delivery of content is required.
Successful candidates will have knowledge of Web development technologies (XML, VB, asp, etc.), database concepts, UNIX (including Linux), and a variety of computer programming languages and techniques).

Preferred: Preferred candidates will have a degree in computer science or related field; experience in use of or development for Datatel products; knowledge of PCs and networking; and specific knowledge of software applications adopted and used by Regis University (Colleague, Benefactor, Envision, Unibasic, etc.).

search https://jobs.regis.edu for job posting 1314.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Job Title: Jr Network Engineer

Job Location: Cary, NC

Skills desired
- Some rudimentary knowledge in one or more of these areas
- Linux
- SIP
- MySQL
- Telephony
- Scripting Languages
- open source platforms, in general
- Networking concepts

Education and Experience
Education: BS CS or related field
Experience: None! This is one of those rare oportunities where you can break the cycle of can't get a job because you don't have experience and can't get experience because you can't get a job. We do expect some kind of proof that you have a desire to learn, school clubs, interesting senior projects, internships and what not are also a plus.

The position isn't that clear because it isn't that clear to us. We basically need a junior person to handle some of the grunt work in Network Engineering. Expect to handle things like turning up circuits, dealing with remote hands people, imaging servers. You won't be doing desktop support or end user support though.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Who We Are : http://www.translattice.com. We're working our way from start-up to big-time.

Where We Are : Santa Clara, Califronia

Job Titles : EVERYTHING! We need developers, we need database people, we need sales engineers, we need tech support. WE NEED QUALITY PEOPLE! Official job descriptions are pasted below - but we need quality people rather than specific roles. So take a look at the job descriptions, have a tour through our website - if you're awesome and think you have something special to contribute, please PM me regardless.

Sr. Software Test and Automation Engineer posted:

Sr. Software Test and Automation Engineer

Job Description

Working as part of a small team in a creative environment you will develop test plans & procedures, select test tools, and lead the architecture and development of test frameworks, for testing a distributed application server & database product.

Skills

5+ years experience
Fluent in test process, methods, plan development and tools.
Experience in database testing and test suites.
Backend Linux server and Web browser script-based automation experience.
Experience working with Selenium.
Experience with Perl and/or Python scripting (Python preferred).
Understanding of basic development and coding concepts.
Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.

Sr. Database System Software Architect/Developer posted:

Sr. Database System Software Architect/Developer

Job Description
Exciting opportunity as a senior architect/developer in a small team building the world's first distributed general purpose OLTP database. In this position you will add major functionality to the core database engine software while working in a creative and exciting environment.

Skills

Experience doing development work on a major MVCC database engine source code.
Experience with query optimization in the context of a MVCC database highly desirable.
Experience doing development work on the PostgreSQL open source code base highly desirable.
Experience with shared memory communication channels desirable.
6+ years experience in C programming.
3+ years experience with network programming and concurrency.
Exceptional C programming skills and superior knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
Fluency in architecture and design of multi-threaded concurrent systems, distributed locking, and event driven asynchronous systems is desirable.
BS Computer Science or equivalent (focus in networked distributed systems desirable; will consider relevant work experience in lieu of degree).

Technical Support Engineer posted:

Technical Support Engineer

Job Description

The position of Technical Support Engineer is responsible for assisting customers and other employees through the installation, configuration, deployment, and use of TransLattice products. As part of a growing team with a 24 x 7 support environment, commitment to team, schedule and flexibility of work hours including nights, weekends and holidays is required on occasion. The candidate must be able to troubleshoot any outages or issues, be able to understand customer architectures and implement solutions in the most efficient manner (according to the customer’s needs). Occasionally, the task will require escalation or coordination with other employees; in all cases, the candidate will own the issue to conclusion. The position involves providing database support and administration guidance of client's usage of our products. Candidate would require handling complex production issues, performing technical troubleshooting and performing root cause analysis in an efficient manner.

Experience Required

Excellent understanding of SQL protocol; PostgreSQL is a plus.
Understanding of data models (packages, functions, views and stored procedures).
2-3+ years experience working as a support engineer with database technologies.
A desire to work in a fast paced start up environment.
Interest and experience with emerging database technologies and trends.
Supporting/developing Web applications in PHP/Java/Ruby/ in a Tomcat/Jetty environment a plus.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
My experience: Year-long internship in my high school as an IT assistant. No IT jobs thus far (5 yrs' fast food)
Received A+ and Net+ certs in September and January, working on CCNA
Graduating in May 2012 with AAS in IT

What I'm looking for: An entry level IT job. I'd rather not work in a call center.

Where I live: Lawrence, KS

Where I'm looking: Kansas City, Topeka, or Lawrence, KS.

When I can start: 2 weeks after accepting an offer

Requirements: part time, I am in school Wednesdays and Thursdays

Can be reached via: PM

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Job Seeker

Got laid off after 5 years, company that merged with us was looking to close down my office, been looking online for the past couple of weeks. Totally forgot a thread for this existed.

What I'm looking for: Either desktop support or Mid level system/Windows administration, maybe NOC stuff.

What I'm NOT looking for: Temp stuff and contract work. Pay under 60k annually.

Experience: Over 5 years of hands-on/phone/email support on Windows XP/7 and Mac OSX. Workstation and laptop deployments (Mostly Dell and Lenovo and some Macs). Server building and racking. Active Directory administration. Exchange 2003 administration. BES administration. File server backups through Symantec Backup Exec. Know my way around VMWare ESX, IronPorts, Symantec Enterprise Vault and a little bit of Sharepoint. No certs though.

Where I live: Garden Grove, CA. Northern Orange County

Where I'm looking: Orange County, CA. Really not looking for something in the L.A. area, hated the commute. Can't really relocate anyway, supporting my live-in Mom.

When I can start: Not working currently, so as soon as possible.

Requirements: Don't have a car, but if I can get to El Segundo (near LAX) from Orange County everyday, on time, for the past 5 years. I can make it anywhere. Medial/Dental/Vision, 401k. A "nice to have" would be tuition assistance.

Can be reached via: In the thread, PM, email at luca [at] lucaben (dot) com

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Job Seeker

Working overseas as a contractor, got screwed by my company. I was making more doing less in the states, and they're a pretty incompetent company at every level.

What I'm looking for: Network Engineer, something government or satellite related if possible

What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk, desktop

Experience: 6 years of military / overseas contractor experience with TDMA/SCPC satcom on 1.2-3.8m VSATs and a couple 3.7m autotracking SCPC earth stations, one of the largest Aruba wireless deployments in the world, network engineering for sites ranging from 6-300 people

Where I live: Afghanistan!

Where I'm looking: Overseas if possible, if not anywhere in the Colorado Springs-Denver area, Charleston SC, Melbourne FL. I'm fairly open, just don't want TX or the DC area.

When I can start: As soon as loving possible. God I hate my job.

Requirements: If it's outside the Springs-Denver area, relocation would be neat but not required. Call it 50k salary depending on the job, but I'm going to highball you if it's satcom because I'm pretty drat good at what I do.

Can be reached via: PM, email at jbsnyder85 at g's mail dot com

Horror story why you should feel sorry for me and find me a job: Within a week of being in-country I drove in and around Kabul on Highway One multiple times doing site maintenance, including once by myself from Kabul to Bagram in a broken down piece of poo poo truck, all without armor or weapons, and I didn't get a dime of the company's commission for any of it.

Pressed Rat
Jun 25, 2004

edit: Job has been filled by non-goon

Pressed Rat fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 14, 2012

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

My experience: 3+ years in various IT roles and web development
What I'm looking for: Deskside support/onsite or a junior admin role
What I'm NOT looking for: Call center.
Where I live: Cleveland but want to relocate to Pittsburgh
Where I'm looking: Pittsburgh, PA
When I can start: Now, yesterday, tomorrow. Need a job immediately.
Requirements: Full time. Part time even, just something.
Can be reached via: PM, or email this user name at gmail

I have CompTIA A+ and Network+ and plenty of experience, great references. Worked as a sort of web developer configuring Rackspace Redhat servers for Drupal deployments. Know quite a bit about Drupal from an administration/deployment/configuration perspective. I am not a web programmer, though.

Really want to be in the Pittsburgh area.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Pressed Rat posted:

Job opening in Centennial, CO

Who we are: A small company (about 30 people) that provides adaptive computer systems for nursing homes and assisted living facilities. The systems are Windows-based and run on the HP TouchSmart platform.

Job title: Technical Support

Job description: Mid-to-entry-level tech support. Provide remote technical assistance and perform computer repairs. Position is full-time, M-F typically 9am-6pm, with some flexibility.

It's kind of a "mom and pop" sort of business, very fun company with some chill people to work with. The owner sometimes bring in beer for the tech team. Being a small company, you'll have to wear many different hats as the saying goes, but it keeps things interesting. The company is growing and has been around for over 10 years so you don't have to worry about it blowing away in the wind. It's in the "elder care" industry, which is booming at the moment. You'll have to see the inside of a nursing home from time to time, so if that's a problem then you might want to look elsewhere, but in tech support you're pretty much insulated from it. This company is new to having a tech support department at all, so there's a lot of room to bring your own contributions to the table as they develop procedures.

Duties include:
Provide customer support via phone, email, remote session, or etc.
Troubleshoot hardware, software, and connectivity issues
Provide instruction to customers in the use of computers and applications
Perform computer repairs and upgrades
Email account administration
Assist with shipping/receiving/tracking of repair items
Manage, track, update, and run reports on service tickets
Occasional on-site repairs or maintenance

Skills:
Able to work independently with minimal supervision
Highly organized and able to multitask well
Able to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences (old folks)
Proficient with Internet applications, E-Mail, FTP, Web Browsers
Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
Patience with frustrating or stressful customer situations

Can be reached at: tech at in2l dot com

Man, I wish you guys were in Oklahoma instead of Colorado. This job sounds like it'd be right up my alley.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Might as well try this again, have somewhat less lovely experience.

My experience: 6 months desktop support for a large ISP, includes some telephony. 2 years computer repair and maintenance, small business networking, running cabling, etc.
What I'm looking for: Entry level desktop support with actual growth potential. Possibly entry level network administration.
Where I live: Central NC.
Where I'm looking: Greensboro, Sanford, Rockingham, Pinehurst, Eastern (Very eastern) Charlotte. Basically and hour or less drive from where 220 and 24/27 meet.
When I can start: Any time with at least two weeks notice.
Requirements: Insurance, full time, would like education assistance.
Can be reached via: PM, gothmog1065@gmail.com.

Always looking for leads, but I'd like to be with a company where I don't have to lie to or mislead my customers/clients.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 13, 2012

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

We are looking to hire a software developer and web operations person in downtown Wasington, DC.

quote:

Who We Are
We are the Information Technology group in a major industry trade association near the center of the modern media and entertainment landscape.

What You Will Be Doing

We are looking for an Assistant Director, Software Development and Web Operations, to join our IT team on a permanent basis. This person will be responsible for:
* Design, develop, deploy, document, and maintain data-driven web and mobile applications.
* Manage the infrastructure supporting these applications.
* Support Association staff with technically difficult parts of posting content to the web.
Common tasks will include:
* Maintaining and enhancing existing ASP.NET and ASP.NET MVC applications.
* Deploying updates to production.
* Assisting staff in formatting an HTML email.
* Crafting a query to pull specific data from our membership database.
* Patching a web server.
* Writing a tool to load 20GB of government data into a usable format.
* Writing a tool to capture leads for an event.

Technologies We Use Today

We are currently using the following technologies and tools:
* C# combined with numerous open source libraries. nUnit, StructureMap and Lucene.NET would be a few examples.
* IIS
* ASP.NET and ASP.NET MVC
* jQuery and jQuery UI
* Microsoft Sql Server and RavenDb
* Objective-C / iOS
* SVN and Mercurial
* TeamCity
* Redmine
This is not an extant list. Moreover we focus on using the right technology for the job so you should expect this list to change as technology advances.

Who We Are Looking For

The Candidate will have a passion for creating great software: be able to shift gears between disparate projects with ease; absorb new technologies with effortlessness and vigor; be comfortable working on a team and equally comfortable working alone; own his/her code, his/her successes, and failures.
The Candidate will have demonstrable experience working with a modern, object oriented, statically typed language and tool set; be able to produce effective, professional looking applications. HTML and JavaScript will be second nature, and CSS a familiar concept. He/she will be able to write SQL cleanly and effectively and will have mastered the basics of relational databases; will have a working knowledge of IIS and Windows administration; and have some working knowledge of digital media and graphics production as well.

The ideal candidate will have measurable experience with ASP.NET MVC, C# and MSSQL; will have experimented with document databases, such as RavenDb or CouchDb; will have spent some time exploring the inner workings of Objective-C and iOS; will have used open source software and perhaps even contributed to an open source project.

Why You Will Want to Work Here

The Association is a great place to work. The VP of IT has been here for over 20 years. The Director of IT has been here for 10.
You can expect to have top-flight gear; access to mobile devices; a full complement of software, such as an MSDN subscription and whatever tools you need to bend Visual Studio to your will; company sponsored training and conference attendance; your own office with a door; direct access to project resources with few intermediaries or layers of red tape; work with first-class design agencies, consultants, and technology providers; and opportunities to shine in front of very important audiences.
In addition, the Association provides:
* Competitive Salary
* Comprehensive medical coverage
* 401k plan
* 2 weeks paid annual leave; 3 weeks paid sick leave; 10 paid federal holidays
* Company sponsored training
* Free coffee and soda

Email me at jlngg.oneargg@tznvy.pbz if you are interesed [un rot-13 to get the addy].

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004
Job Opportunity!

After interviewing a few candidates who were less than ideal, I thought I'd take this job posting to SA and see if there are any System Engineer goons looking for work in New York City.

What we're looking for

The job opening is for a Senior Infrastructure Engineer. Do you eat vCenter for breakfast and poo poo vMotion HA ESXi clusters out before lunch? Do certain SAN vendors inspire strong feelings in you because of a long history with them? Do you dream in AD schemas? Can you do Exchange migrations like most nerds can do Windows installs? If so, we want you. Your job would be to replace the drat good system architect who built that infrastructure the company runs on. We have hundreds of servers spread out over five data centers in three countries and we need an expert in this role to continue building off of what we have currently since the company is growing rapidly.

We're looking specifically for someone with a very strong background in Windows Server domains, Exchange (currently 2003; we'll be doing a 2010 migration at some point), VMware/vCenter and storage (currently, EMC, Stonefly, EQL and QNAP in various roles). Experience in clustered and HA environments is a huge plus. We want someone with 5-10 years experience in these fields who is comfortable designing, deploying and maintaining the sprawling infrastructure of the company. One of the big upsides to this complexity is that you'll be exposed to a lot of products and technology, making this a great place to learn. My/your boss is very good about giving people opportunities to learn what they're interested in, so there is plenty of room for growth. You'll be a key member of a small, but efficient and effective team who works well together. Hours generally aren't absurd, and you will be expected to do some travel. Work will generally be conducted out of our office in midtown Manhattan. I can't speak specifically for salary, but pay here is competitive.

Because our systems are complex, you'll be working closely with our team to accomplish most tasks, so fitting in and getting along with the rest of the department is critical. Though I haven't been here long, I have only good things to say about my co-workers. People are helpful, professional, do good work and I have yet to see any kind political wrangling among the department. The two people you'd be reporting directly to (Director of the department and the CTO) are both kindly and very technically knowledgeable, and I couldn't ask for better bosses.

The Company

We're a SSAE 16 certified data services provider loosely in the telecom industry. The company itself is rather small (about 70 full time employees), but we have a sprawling server infrastructure that's much larger than our size would imply. We made the INC Fast 500 list last year and I expect we'll do similarly well in 2012. I've only been with the company since late 2011, but so far I think it's a great place to work and enjoy my time here.

If you're interested, please contact me via PM and I can send you a formal job description and give more details as needed. Or reply with your email and I'll get in touch directly. Thanks!

Beelzebubba9 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 13, 2012

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003
President - Bob Saget Fanclub
My experience: 1.5 years help desk/tier 2-ish for both internal and external customers for a large healthcare company, 3 years customer facing tech support at a large bank, and 6 or 7 years customer service/light desktop support prior to that. (Just started at Franklin Univ. majoring in Information Security, no experience there yet.)

Have done some AS/400, Linux/Unix and Mac support but primarily Windows and Office systems. I've had a focus the last few years as being the "cell phone guy" for when my coworkers aren't able to correct Exchange issues as well.

What I'm looking for: Full time, tired of being a contractor, health insurance for the family and I being a major portion of that. Help Desk Tier1/Tier2, Entry level network admin, deskside support are the areas I'm most interested in at this time.
Where I live: Columbus, OH
Where I'm looking: Anywhere in Central Ohio, preferably within the Columbus Metropolitan Area
When I can start: Just would like to give 2 weeks notice
Requirements: Insurance, full time, would like education assistance.
Can be reached via: krobar@gmail.com or PM.

Krobar fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 14, 2012

rocket lad
Feb 3, 2004
omfgyouguyz

FatCow posted:

Job Title: Jr Network Engineer

Job Location: Cary, NC

PM sent; extremely interested, and I'm local.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
It's getting tough to keep up with all of the new postings, which is certainly a good thing. Since the OP is getting pretty long (probably also filled with links to jobs that have been filled or are otherwise no longer available...), does anybody have any suggestions for a better way to maintain the goon job postings than relying on one person to update the OP whenever he can? I mean, if you guys prefer having the big long listing in the OP, I'll keep doing it for as long as people keep posting... but if anybody wants to try another method, I'm open to suggestions!

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

brc64 posted:

It's getting tough to keep up with all of the new postings, which is certainly a good thing. Since the OP is getting pretty long (probably also filled with links to jobs that have been filled or are otherwise no longer available...), does anybody have any suggestions for a better way to maintain the goon job postings than relying on one person to update the OP whenever he can? I mean, if you guys prefer having the big long listing in the OP, I'll keep doing it for as long as people keep posting... but if anybody wants to try another method, I'm open to suggestions!

We could set up some manner of google maps deal that goons can edit, though I'm not sure how to handle telecommute jobs.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Comradephate posted:

We could set up some manner of google maps deal that goons can edit, though I'm not sure how to handle telecommute jobs.

A google docs spreadsheet?

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
How long are most jobs open compared to how fast the thread moves? Is it unreasonable to tell people to read the previous 5? 10? pages?

To help cut down on how many pages people need to look through, "people looking for jobs" and "people advertising jobs" could also be split into two threads.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I like the idea of splitting this into two threads, but I don't think jobs need to be a separate list anywhere else. That would just be another place for the jobs to go stale. I personally never look at the OP for jobs and just try to keep up to date with the thread.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I agree completely with splitting this into 2 threads. I don't ever read the OP and just stay up to date with the thread and checking regularly. It's a little disheartening when I see 10 new posts and they're all the "looking for work" variety.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am looking for some advice, and am hoping to get some ideas. I am attempting to self teach myself some of the basic server admin skills required for a junior admin. I was talking to a friend who recommended I start with learning the basics of CentOS, installing MySQL on it and being able to access it from a Windows machine. I got all of that figured out, and was wondering where I should go from here? Am I wasting my time without certifications?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I am looking for some advice, and am hoping to get some ideas. I am attempting to self teach myself some of the basic server admin skills required for a junior admin. I was talking to a friend who recommended I start with learning the basics of CentOS, installing MySQL on it and being able to access it from a Windows machine. I got all of that figured out, and was wondering where I should go from here? Am I wasting my time without certifications?

PM me if you want, I am about 6 weeks ahead of you on that very same road, though I've taken an interest in networking recently.

Set up a bunch of VMs, install CentOS different ways (kickstart is fun to figure out with the total absence of documentation) install poo poo, break it, fix it. Just play around, use it as your primary OS if you can, set up a bunch of pretend users, gently caress with their permissions. Basically just putz around and read a lot of man pages. Get an understanding of LVMs, too.

If you're looking for some structure, I have this: http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-Linux-Certification-Study-Guide/dp/0071765654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326853809&sr=8-1 and it's extremely in-depth.

If VMs aren't an option, you can also pick up a low end VPS from linode and play with that, though reinstalling the OS will be automatic, and not something you can break/fix.

Redhat also has a handy website that lists the objectives for the RHCSA: https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhcsa/objectives/

You don't necessarily need to get the RHCSA, but if you master everything on the objective list, you'll be able to handle a Red Hat system competently.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 18, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been messing with Virtualbox since that's free. :) VMWare is something I want to check out as well though. Thank you for the resources too! The redhat website has a great list of stuff to learn, so i'm gonna try to go through as much of that as possible.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I ponied up and bought VMWare Workstation, it's excellent software.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Most of these non-job posts should just be in the IT or how to be an alcoholic thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447793

vty fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2012

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
EDIT: Job filled, non-goon, sorry.

Anyone want my job? I'm leaving my employer soon (like, in a couple weeks), and they could use a new "me."

The job is for a systems and network admin/jack-of-all-trades at "Mount Vernon Net," a mom-and-pop ISP in Mount Vernon, Illinois. The area is pretty rural, but that means the cost of living is also pretty darn low. The whole company only has ten people, and things are generally pretty laid-back, as befits a small town.

MVN is mainly a fixed-wireless ISP; we put big wifi-like antennas on towers and water tanks and grain elevators, and from there deliver broadband Internet service to really rural areas. We also run our own email servers, Web servers, network infrastructure, and so on, and sometimes provide network consulting. Honestly, though, 90% of the job is "make sure the ISP stuff keeps running."

You'll need to know a bit of just about everything. You'd be responsible for network design and security, both for our network and occasionally for that of our customers. You'll need to know at least a bit about both IIS and Apache, as we have both Windows and Linux Web servers. A bit of Linux knowledge generally wouldn't hurt, as we run things like DNS and RADIUS in-house. Email troubleshooting (digging into headers, shutting down accounts compromised by crazy Nigerians) too. Some SQL knowledge, for poking at our billing system and in-house customer care stuff, could be useful. Basically everything that goes on in a small-ish ISP, from servers to networks, you'll be involved in it.

When the boss and I finish up a more formal job description, and/or an online job application, I'll edit it in here. In the meantime, email me at dave at technopagan dot org, or PM, if you have questions.

Weird Uncle Dave fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
I mentioned this a few pages back, but I run a new email newsletter which interviews startups who are hiring developers, designers and product leads. Would anyone be opposed if I started posting the jobs here? I run an interview once a week. They aren't my jobs per se, but I want to see the listings (and my email list) succeed. I don't receive any compensation for this list, just a labor of love at the moment.

My most recent interview was with LaunchBit, a Mountain View, CA company that has built a marketplace for email advertisements.

The interview is here, and the job listing is here. LaunchBit is looking for a PHP/mySQL backend developer to join their team and help scale their platform.

LaunchBit posted:

We are looking for our first engineering hire to help us scale our platform. Our platform is currently written in PHP and uses a MySQL db, but we may change this in the near future.

Responsibilities:
-Develop targeting algorithms
-Write scalable queries
-Be relentless about improving latency issues and performance

We are looking for someone who:
-Has experience building large scale web apps
-Solid foundation in computer science: data structures, algorithms, and software design
-Good Linux experience
-Coding experience in PHP, MySQL, Python, and/or C/C++
-Front-end experience (HTML/CSS/JavaScript with jQuery, AJAX) is an added bonus