Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Mr. Fun posted:

It seems like the expectations for this game are currently just shy of "will turn my lead into gold", worried a lot of people are going to end up let down.

It's basically impossible for this game to be some huge let down or anything because they have been demoing it hard for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

40 OZ posted:

It's basically impossible for this game to be some huge let down or anything because they have been demoing it hard for a long time.

I think the largest possibility in terms of let downs at this point is if the game just doesn't get tournament coverage. If it gets played like MK9 does/did then the game will do fine (let's be realistic, it won't get marvel/sf4 amounts of play), but if not then I just don't think the game will survive long other than a few dedicated individuals who just wreck everyone's poo poo online ala AH3.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

40 OZ posted:

Have they been demoing the tutorial mode? I just see a lot of people in this thread talking about how it'll be the bee's knees, but I haven't heard/seen anything since a discussion of the basic framework.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

Have they been demoing the tutorial mode? I just see a lot of people in this thread talking about how it'll be the bee's knees, but I haven't heard/seen anything since a discussion of the basic framework.

Single-player modes have been turned off at public demos and tournaments and such, but there's some previews where they've tried out the tutorials, like this one.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mr. Fun posted:

It seems like the expectations for this game are currently just shy of "will turn my lead into gold", worried a lot of people are going to end up let down.

Last fighting game I bought didn't even have online multiplayer for ~3 months so I don't have expectations of anything anymore.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Broken Loose posted:

Yes, and here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVKMXN7Fto

Basically, different health wasn't a "thing" initially in fighters and it's a really poor mechanism for balance. Mike is the one who has the say in character health and he doesn't give a poo poo about how thematic it may be if it adversely affects gameplay in any way.

SF2 does have different damage scaling for different characters though. Dhalsim takes the most, Zangief takes the least. Granted maybe this proves your point since Dhalsim is top tier and Zangief is bottom, but what's to say their advantages/disadvantages wouldn't be even more extreme without the different scaling?

In more pertinent news, these two accounts have a crapton of Skullgirls footage from Frosty Faustings. The Valentine in the brown outfit is really good! My mind will probably change once I play the game, but from watching videos I really want to use Painwheel and Valentine. I think the lack of AAA would hurt a lot there though, and I have serious reservations about the stability of trios. Hmm...

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 8, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I will say that between the characters' personalities and the fact that it seems to give a drat about newbies in fighting, this might be the first fighter I actually pick up.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I think the largest possibility in terms of let downs at this point is if the game just doesn't get tournament coverage. If it gets played like MK9 does/did then the game will do fine (let's be realistic, it won't get marvel/sf4 amounts of play), but if not then I just don't think the game will survive long other than a few dedicated individuals who just wreck everyone's poo poo online ala AH3.

Yeah, this is my biggest concern. Skullgirls has a lot of potential, but all of that doesn't matter if the tournament scene doesn't get off the ground. I agree that the game will never draw, but hopefully whatever scene develops - even if it isn't that big - stays strong.

Skullgirls has a lot of good ideas built into it that the big developers should take notice of. The absolute best-case scenario I'm hoping for is that the developers at Capcom and Namco take notice and implement some of them into future games. I've said it a lot already, but fighting games do need to step things up if they want to tread new ground and continue their newfound success.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
edit- n/m

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 9, 2012

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
On the topic of tournaments, speak of the devil: GameTrailers has the Grand Finals from SoCal Regionals, since apparently there was a Skullgirls tournament there. I'm not familiar with who is playing, but it's 23 minutes and change of tournament play in HD, so there you go.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jetpack Postman posted:

On the topic of tournaments, speak of the devil: GameTrailers has the Grand Finals from SoCal Regionals, since apparently there was a Skullgirls tournament there. I'm not familiar with who is playing, but it's 23 minutes and change of tournament play in HD, so there you go.

This game looks amazing in 60 fps, but the audio desyncs really badly even before the five minute mark.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

PalmTreeFun posted:

This game looks amazing in 60 fps, but the audio desyncs really badly even before the five minute mark.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It desyncs, then resyncs after the match is over, then goes onto desync again. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with that recording equipment.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nice Potemkin colors though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Cerebella's timeout loss animation is still adorable.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but the assist portraits are way too small, as is the assist ready indicator. Other than that the ui looks good. Assists seem like they only take normal damage, but that could just be me being too used to assists blowing up in a stiff breeze in mvc3 and also the players still not being great at the game.

Also it looks like Cerebella has a projectile counter (not the super). That's interesting.

Edit: The announcer is no alpha 3 announcer, sadly. Now that I think about it, that's something that has always felt weird about this game but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. There's no mid-match announcer chatter. I've gotten so accustomed to it that the game sounds really quiet as a result (also the fairly subdued music contributes to that) despite all the character chatter. They also should've turned up the music.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 9, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Assists take about 10% extra damage, it's the same as they did in mvc2. "Happy birthdays" can still happen but you don't get to just sneeze on an assist and kill them.

Also the UI and graphics are definitely HD oriented, I've played the game on a CRT a few times and stuff is pretty small. I guess this is a common thread with current gen consoles, but yeah if you want to enjoy the game to its fullest I recommend HD.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

I am the worst at fighting games forever and ever, and I am excited as hell about Skullgirls just because of how entertaining the friday night fights have been to watch. One question: how good of a chance do we think this game is going to have of making it into the "big" fighting tournaments like EVO or whatever? I'm going to be a dedicated spectator regardless, but it would be gratifying if a game that did this many things right became hot poo poo across the board.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There's a quite decent chance, it all depends on the community picking it up, really. Melty Blood is an example of a niche, "indie" game that made it to EVO because the people asked for it.

Now, if I was Reverge's/whoever the distributor is, I'm not sure, I'd just sponsor all tournaments my marketing budget allows, really. It's a niche game that's made for the specific purpose of being a competitive FG. Thing is, nowadays people compete for the big pot money. Sponsor a major or two with a healthy pot bonus or cool poo poo, organize exhibitions like Bar Fights with top players, I dunno. Just give it the initial push so people start taking it seriously as a competitive game and the game should be fine in that aspect.

I mean, it's never gonna make it big like SF/Marvel/Tekken/SC/name a big company game here, so you might as well make sure you have the hearts of the "pro gamers", to ensure that your specific public will buy it AND keep playing it, because then you can do DLC poo poo.

Esports, bitch.

vv and as it was said, not in THIS Evo. But hey, I don't think SFxT will stick around for long...

Dias fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 9, 2012

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The main games for this year's EVO have already been announced and Skullgirls ain't in it. Might've had a chance if there was even a solid release date yet.

Still, hoping to see it get some play in other nationals.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
It'll get played at EVO because drat near every game gets played in side tourneys at EVO.

If you mean main stage, probably not for a minute, unless SFxT bombs or they need to fill time between bigger games. Maybe next year. Someone will most definitely run side-streams or put up matches on Youtube, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MadRhetoric posted:

It'll get played at EVO because drat near every game gets played in side tourneys at EVO.

If you mean main stage, probably not for a minute, unless SFxT bombs or they need to fill time between bigger games. Maybe next year. Someone will most definitely run side-streams or put up matches on Youtube, though.

...a demonstration, perhaps? An invitational? There could be time for something if it's short enough, and EVO is the big one, might as well try to get something at the main stage...

God, now I'm theorymarketing.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Jetpack Postman posted:

I'm confused by Dabbit never taking off Ms. Fortune's head–it seems like a pretty powerful tool. Still, if she can be a viable character even without doing Zappa dog stuff I may consider using her.

Still, my team plan as of now is probably a 2-person team of Peacock (George's Day Out/Bang Bang Bang!) and Cerebella (lariat). They both cover each other's weaknesses well and so far I don't see the need to add a third, but if I do it may end up being Parasoul's Captain Corridor assist to take up more vertical space. The timing on her combos is going to be a real pain in the rear end for me, though.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

jmcrofts (or anyone else), what seems to be the popular trend as far as team size goes? I know you mentioned earlier the health and damage bonuses you get for going solo, but from what I saw at SCR the team sizes were all over the place, aside from seeing quite a few people running solo Peacock. The mechanics look like they allow for any team size to be viable, but what do you prefer, and what do you think people will use most?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

chumbler posted:

Edit: The announcer is no alpha 3 announcer, sadly. Now that I think about it, that's something that has always felt weird about this game but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. There's no mid-match announcer chatter. I've gotten so accustomed to it that the game sounds really quiet as a result (also the fairly subdued music contributes to that) despite all the character chatter. They also should've turned up the music.
No constant irritating announcer is one of the game's features IMO.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
chilldawg is it forced 16:9 or is there 4:3 mode like SF4

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Robolizard! posted:

chilldawg is it forced 16:9 or is there 4:3 mode like SF4

And in either case, can you set it to letterbox instead of stretch?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Skullgirls looks like the kind of game I would be ashamed to play in the presence of other people. It's clear that the developers/animators have probably never talked to a woman. I'm sadly going to avoid it, even though everything about it looks like the perfect jumping-on point for 'real' fighting games. Guess I'll stick to Smash Bros.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

F. Lobot posted:

Skullgirls looks like the kind of game I would be ashamed to play in the presence of other people. It's clear that the developers/animators have probably never talked to a woman. I'm sadly going to avoid it, even though everything about it looks like the perfect jumping-on point for 'real' fighting games. Guess I'll stick to Smash Bros.

The lead animator is a woman.

Not that that excuses it, but this topic is also verboten. :ssh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

F. Lobot posted:

Sorry everyone you know hates 2D games or whatever, everyone I know who I show footage of this too thinks it looks great for 2D sprite gaming, regardless of age/sex/whatever. We can look at individual parts of this and say such and such is tasteless or pandering or whatever, but visually the product as a whole is great. The same people that think DoA is pandering trash or that the MK costumes are a disgrace or that want to basically burn down the entire game and comic industry because they can't get by without rendering massive amounts of t and a that I show it too all think this game looks fantastic.

Sorry guys guess it's been about five pages. :(

Anyways I do wish more single player stuff would get revealed. This is one of the few games I'm going to get this year as soon as it's available. It's not like this is going to do Bejeweled or Plants vs. Zombies sales and actually get a disk release later on. I can't wait.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 9, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

F. Lobot posted:

Really, if you stop and think about it, it's not much worse than any other fighting game that's popular recently. If the gameplay and the genre interests you, don't let that be a deterrent - god knows I've swallowed the Japanese factor in Melty Blood and Blazblue because they are - arguably - good games.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Mods, please change the thread title so that "MOD WARNING PAGE 6" is there to at least deter trolls in the future.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

F. Lobot posted:

Seriously who loving cares. Play the game if you're gonna play the game, but if you're not nobody in this thread wants to hear "this art style makes me want to play a bad game instead of a good game."

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Dias posted:

Really, if you stop and think about it, it's not much worse than any other fighting game that's popular recently. If the gameplay and the genre interests you, don't let that be a deterrent - god knows I've swallowed the Japanese factor in Melty Blood and Blazblue because they are - arguably - good games.

Street Fighter has Cammie and... that's really it, the rest is zany but doesn't make me hide my computer screen. MvC has superheroes, which appeal to the masses well. Also consider that any given superhero wears more clothing than most of the cast of Skullgirls combined.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Zoolooman posted:

:siren:The meta topic of sexism in Skullgirls has been replayed multiple times with no new discussion added. Inevitably, I see reports for derails and trolls like this. Sexism in Skullgirls is a dead topic. This thread is about the gameplay Please report anyone who derails the thread again. Do not respond to this post. This is a measure to stop the beating of dead horses.:siren:

Hey look, it's a thing.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

F. Lobot posted:

Street Fighter has Cammie and... that's really it, the rest is zany but doesn't make me hide my computer screen. MvC has superheroes, which appeal to the masses well. Also consider that any given superhero wears more clothing than most of the cast of Skullgirls combined.

Really, now?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I was gonna answer the post but it would perpetuate a derail I didn't really intend to start. All I'll say is that all FGs have frankly embarassing characters, but that you'll not be thought of as a sexual deviant if you play any of them, and SG is not any different. I mean, my friends love MK9 and that poo poo is TnA as all hell. But if it bothers you, oh well.

Just don't keep this argument going, for the sake of the thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MadRhetoric posted:

Hey look, it's a thing.

Reads like some mad rhetoric. :aaaaa:

What was mentioned about the AI being themed around different types of play really excites me. SNK had this thing where their one player game would actually have a story and lots of dialogue and stuff for every character. You'd never see it back in the day because the AI would be all around impregnable for the purposes of "playing by yourself before someone joins in," but for the past ten years fighting game AI has gone nowhere. It's going to add a lot of personality to the characters also if each fights in a certain way or specializes in a particular defense when playing single player.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

Reads like some mad rhetoric. :aaaaa:

What was mentioned about the AI being themed around different types of play really excites me. SNK had this thing where their one player game would actually have a story and lots of dialogue and stuff for every character. You'd never see it back in the day because the AI would be all around impregnable for the purposes of "playing by yourself before someone joins in," but for the past ten years fighting game AI has gone nowhere. It's going to add a lot of personality to the characters also if each fights in a certain way or specializes in a particular defense when playing single player.

An adaptive AI would be great, one that learns from what you've done and works with that. How hard would it be, realistically, to program the AI to read a crossup kick as a plain jump kick and have it guess which way to block, then add the info into its "database" and make it more biased towards defending a crossup next time?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dias posted:

An adaptive AI would be great, one that learns from what you've done and works with that. How hard would it be, realistically, to program the AI to read a crossup kick as a plain jump kick and have it guess which way to block, then add the info into its "database" and make it more biased towards defending a crossup next time?

Too much effort for fighting games. I really do feel like a switch was flipped in like 1997 or so and every developer just gave up on even trying. I'm hoping that even if Skullgirls isn't a huge mega hit that Capcom/whoever else still cares takes notice and as other people have said in the thread, the genre can actually move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zaa Boogie posted:

Really, now?

stop idiot

• Locked thread