Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Polegrinder posted:

Psychic T.V., their discography is huge. What would be a good place to start with them?

EDIT - Also the Legendary Pink Dots, another huge discography and I don't know where to even start.

For Psychic TV probably Dreams Less Sweet is the best place to start, it has a lot of fairly brief tracks that range between sound collage and noise and fairly sweet pop songs. The previous album, Force the Hand of Chance is similarly good but the songs tend to be a lot longer. Allegory & Self is also really good from a little later in their discography--big 60s psychedelic pop influence with the hit Godstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1yr8w_vZ5E

Toward the Infinite Beat for the later "acid house" (not real acid house) stuff, maybe, although I don't know this part of their discography well and it's not that interesting to me. Anything after that is a mystery to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

For Psychic TV probably Dreams Less Sweet is the best place to start, it has a lot of fairly brief tracks that range between sound collage and noise and fairly sweet pop songs. The previous album, Force the Hand of Chance is similarly good but the songs tend to be a lot longer. Allegory & Self is also really good from a little later in their discography--big 60s psychedelic pop influence with the hit Godstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1yr8w_vZ5E

Toward the Infinite Beat for the later "acid house" (not real acid house) stuff, maybe, although I don't know this part of their discography well and it's not that interesting to me. Anything after that is a mystery to me.

Seconding all this.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

TheNintenGenius posted:

Where do I start with Django Reinhardt?

The vast majority of Django's musical output was made before the birth of the modern album concept, instead his discography is one almost entirely of singles.

Pick up a good compilation with Stéphane, like Djangology.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ron Burgundy posted:

The vast majority of Django's musical output was made before the birth of the modern album concept, instead his discography is one almost entirely of singles.

Well I realize that. I was more asking exactly which compilation(s?) are worth getting.

Thanks for the advice, though!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Where do I start with Cold War Kids?

e- and Nick Cave?

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 2, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nick Cave has a few reasonable entry points, since his career has been incredibly long and often wildly-varying. Starting with '& The Bad Seeds' material is generally your best bet, but excursions into his work with The Birthday Party and Grinderman are rewarding as well.

As far as his work with the Seeds goes, most people will point at the group's early work as the best starting point, and as deliriously unhinged and delightfully sadistic those records are, I don't personally consider them the best way to be introduced to the group---quite the opposite. The first time I listened to the Your Funeral...My Trial LP, I was quite honestly just not into it. My comments at the time were something along the lines of "Yes, Nick, I get it, heroin is a hell of a drug."

To compromise, I would suggest 1988's Tender Prey LP as the best balance between the relentless sonic fury and the tighter songwriting Cave would perfect as the years went on. It's also got on it "The Mercy Seat," which was the band's signature tune, at least until the nineties meant that every movie soundtrack in existence would have "Red Right Hand" on it. Once you're through that, if the more sonically violent tracks tickle your fancy, stuff like "City of Refuge" and "Sugar Sugar Sugar", then definitely consider the louder records, earlier stuff like From Her To Eternity, but also later material, like Let Love In and Murder Ballads. If you're more in tune with the more sedate material ("Watching Alice," "New Morning", etc.), then you'll probably want to move to records like The Good Son or The Boatman's Call.

There's basically no record that's all one particular sound, though, so there's always going to be some light in the darkness, some dark in the light. Boatman's Call comes closest, but even that, in the midst of Cave's reconciliation with the concepts of god and love, still has its moments of bleak despair.

Basically, as I call it, these are the must-hear records, but there's worthy material on every record they've done:

1984 - From Her To Eternity (Turn it up loud---loud, desperate and violent)
1988 - Tender Prey
1990 - The Good Son (Cave gets off the horse and falls in love---beautiful desolation)
1994 - Let Love In (Amps are turned back up, the arrangements get overblown and the lyrics get nasty...)
1996 - Murder Ballads (...but not as nasty as this. Almost entirely pure excess, Nick decides to write about murder and doesn't stop until something like 70 fictional murders are committed)
1997 - The Boatman's Call (A total 180 from the last two LPs, a quiet, subtle look at matters romantic and spiritual)
2003 - Nocturama (skippable except for the ridiculously awesome 15-minute closer, "Babe, I'm On Fire")
2004 - Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (The first disc is loud, the second is quiet---ignoring the two clankers that end the first disc and open the second, this might be the best thing the group's cut, though it sadly lacks that wacky German genius, Blixa Bargeld)

edit - gently caress, sorry, I rambled.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ProperCoochie posted:

e- and Nick Cave?

Murder Ballads is probably his most popular and most accessible. Henry's Dream is by far my favorite though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love Henry's Dream ("Loom of the Land" is one of my favorite Seeds things ever), but I feel that the production drama that surrounded its recording (and subsequently caused Live Seeds to get recorded) made it sonically individual enough that it's not representative enough to really work as an entry point.

Murder Ballads was certainly the group's zenith of popularity (partly thanks to the whole Nick Kills Kylie thing), but I personally wouldn't start there simply because of the content. "O'Malley's Bar" is almost numbing after a certain point, and that's the last big climax of the record. Cave and the Bad Seeds write about murder and madness very well, certainly, but that's not the only thing they're capable of.

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
Where do I start with Jawbreaker? I've had Accident Prone, Kiss the Bottle, and Boxcar for a long time but I never actually listened to a full album; I'm mostly into modern-ish pop-punk and hardcore if that helps at all.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I like Slipknot and became aware of Corey taylor, and I found out that he´s in Stone Sour, where do I start ?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My absolute favorite Jawbreaker record is 24-Hour Revenge Therapy even though I had Dear You first. If you're not familiar with their work, I would suggest Dear You as it has the "more polished" major label sound. However, if you like the raw sound of "Boxcar" then start with 24-Revenge Therapy. Both are excellent records and great representatives of that 90's "emo" period. Plus, Blake's lyrics on those two records are deadly. From there, work your way back to the earlier stuff. If you get enamored with Blake's word play but wonder what he'd sound like with slightly less aggresive sound, check out Jets to Brazil. It was his post-Jawbreaker band and they only did three albums. The first one is probably worth hearing, but don't expect much in the way of punky emo aesthetics.

Unrelated, but Stone Sour only have 3 albums and if radio play is any indication then they probably all sound the same. Buzz-bin alt-rock. "Wait and Bleed" it is not. Find the single you like and start from there?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

If you like more recent pop punk then Unfun is absolutely the best place to start with Jawbreaker.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
How about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

How about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

Look up like five or six posts dude

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ProperCoochie posted:

Where do I start with Cold War Kids?

Start with Robbers and Cowards, their first major label release. It's got all kinds of good stuff on it, including the twitchy Hang Me Out to Dry. I personally feel that this album is a concept album, but no one realizes it mainly because of that the story isn't there right away (it's a story about recovering alcoholic who whats to make his family's life better after the hell that he put them through and does it by robbing the church collection basket and all the guilt he feels afterwards). Decent album and the single became my summer single of the year that it was released.

Loyalty to Loyalty isn't as good, but still a good album and Mine is Yours isn't good at all.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

dailydares posted:

Look up like five or six posts dude

Oh drat, sorry. Thanks!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Where do I start with LCD Sound System?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

WASDF posted:

Sound of Silver is their best album and IMO the one Murphy's going to be remembered for, but really you can't go wrong.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

you can't really go wrong, but I'd say go chronological, and avoid 45:33.
LCD's career was sorta defined by the attention their first album created - you can hear why the band got popular, what they did with the attention, and why they ran out of steam so fast. the Drunk Girls video is worth watching too, and not for the song.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WASDF posted:

Gonna go against the grain and recommend the London Sessions "live" album to start, or at least to hit up at some point. I like the sound of the live versions of all of the songs on the album better, there's a really awesome energy to all of them, and it's most of the biggest tracks from the three albums. From there just listen to the three albums, like milk teeth said.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Yoshifan823 posted:

Gonna go against the grain and recommend the London Sessions "live" album to start, or at least to hit up at some point. I like the sound of the live versions of all of the songs on the album better, there's a really awesome energy to all of them, and it's most of the biggest tracks from the three albums. From there just listen to the three albums, like milk teeth said.

I will agree with this if you are the type of person who really enjoys "live" music, and has perhaps made a statement such as "I don't like dance music because it isn't made with live instruments." I don't mean this as a negative statement, either. If this may be you, then the London Sessions are a great way to hear how tight the rhythm section is, and how well these songs can sound live.

However, if this isn't you, I have to agree with others and say start with Sounds of Silver. The songs might sound great live, but Murphy is a studio genius, and some of the magic of LCD Soundsystem is in the pitch-perfect production.

Compare Album to London Sessions.

Again, it is hard to go wrong with either of the three studio albums or London Sessions (stay away from the Nike one as a starting point).

Edit: In looking at the album list I see the London Sessions only has three songs from Sounds of Silver (and neither of my two personal favorites from that album). This would be another reason I recommend getting Sounds of Silver.

Edit2: vvvv Yeah, I should have clarified that I meant "stay away from the Nike album as a starting point."

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 11, 2012

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
ehh, the Nike album is pretty good though, I mean there's only 3 LCD albums to really discover so it's not really something to be avoiding

its also worth mentioning that the bonus disc of the 1st album with all the early singles is better than the album itself, and some of those singles are absolutely essential

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

hatelull posted:

Unrelated, but Stone Sour only have 3 albums and if radio play is any indication then they probably all sound the same. Buzz-bin alt-rock. "Wait and Bleed" it is not. Find the single you like and start from there?

alright ill do that, thanks hatelull

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What're a few good jumping-on points for The Stooges / Iggy Pop?

Something I'm seriously lacking in.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Blast Fantasto posted:

What're a few good jumping-on points for The Stooges / Iggy Pop?

Something I'm seriously lacking in.

Classic Stooges is a pretty tiny discography, there's the original 3 studio albums, the s/t, Fun House, and Raw Power; listen to those (Raw Power is my favourite though I've heard plenty of folk make a case for either of the others). There's also the live album Metallic K.O. Their reunion album The Weirdness had such a negative reception, I haven't even bothered listening to it.

As far as Iggy's solo stuff, start with The Idiot and Lust For Life.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Where do I start with Death?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

the Bunt posted:

Where do I start with Death?
You mean the death metal band, right? (the punk band only has two albums so that's way easy to work out) Human is IMO at least their second best album, and it gives a good picture of both the traditional death metal of their first three albums and the progressive/technical death metal of the last three albums by being essentially a transition between the two styles. If between e.g. "Flattening of Emotions" and "Cosmic Sea" you prefer the former, you're going to like the early work the best, in which case, just proceed backwards chronologically from that album; if you prefer the latter song, go for Symbolic next.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 13, 2012

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Classic Stooges is a pretty tiny discography, there's the original 3 studio albums, the s/t, Fun House, and Raw Power; listen to those (Raw Power is my favourite though I've heard plenty of folk make a case for either of the others). There's also the live album Metallic K.O. Their reunion album The Weirdness had such a negative reception, I haven't even bothered listening to it.

As far as Iggy's solo stuff, start with The Idiot and Lust For Life.

Jesus, I bought and listened to The Stooges and Fun House on the way to work.

Fun House has to be up there with the best albums I've ever heard. It's definitely one of those "how did I go so long without hearing this?" moments.

Thanks!

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Blast Fantasto posted:

Jesus, I bought and listened to The Stooges and Fun House on the way to work.

Fun House has to be up there with the best albums I've ever heard. It's definitely one of those "how did I go so long without hearing this?" moments.

Thanks!

A thing to keep in mind when you track down Raw Power is that there's two different masters of the album currently in circulation: David Bowie's original mix (which was finally reissued lately as part of Columbia's Legacy Edition series of releases) and Iggy's remixed version which was done in the late 90s. I'd definitely say to pay the extra money for Bowie's mix, since Iggy's version is just hilariously bad production-wise. He pushed everything so far into the red that the album's just a complete distorted mess, and not in a good way.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheNintenGenius posted:

A thing to keep in mind when you track down Raw Power is that there's two different masters of the album currently in circulation: David Bowie's original mix (which was finally reissued lately as part of Columbia's Legacy Edition series of releases) and Iggy's remixed version which was done in the late 90s. I'd definitely say to pay the extra money for Bowie's mix, since Iggy's version is just hilariously bad production-wise. He pushed everything so far into the red that the album's just a complete distorted mess, and not in a good way.

The problem is that Bowie's mix isn't that great, either. Raw Power is, to me, one of the most disappointing records ever released, because while Iggy's attempt to rectify things sounds like you're listening to a blender on frappe, Bowie's original production is so thin and trebly that you could have the finest sound system known to man, with sensitive tweeters and woofers from floor to ceiling---you put on Raw Power and those woofers won't even twitch. There's nothing in the midrange, nothing in the bass. Bowie's mix is superior, yes, but I can't think of a way to save that record.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

The problem is that Bowie's mix isn't that great, either. Raw Power is, to me, one of the most disappointing records ever released, because while Iggy's attempt to rectify things sounds like you're listening to a blender on frappe, Bowie's original production is so thin and trebly that you could have the finest sound system known to man, with sensitive tweeters and woofers from floor to ceiling---you put on Raw Power and those woofers won't even twitch. There's nothing in the midrange, nothing in the bass. Bowie's mix is superior, yes, but I can't think of a way to save that record.

To quote Bowie:

quote:

..the most absurd situation I encountered when I was recording was the first time I worked with Iggy Pop. He wanted me to mix Raw Power, so he brought the 24-track tape in, and he put it up. He had the band on one track, lead guitar on another and him on a third. Out of 24 tracks there were just three tracks that were used. He said 'see what you can do with this'. I said, 'Jim, there's nothing to mix'. So we just pushed the vocal up and down a lot. On at least four or five songs that was the situation, including "Search and Destroy." That's got such a peculiar sound because all we did was occasionally bring the lead guitar up and take it out."

And Williamson:

quote:

I personally think [the remixed Raw Power] sucked. I gotta tell ya that I like the IDEA of what [Iggy] tried to do, and I talked to him about it, and there's a lot of factors involved, but at the time, none of us liked Bowie's mix, but given everything, Iggy, when he went in to mix it, he found out that the guy who had recorded it originally had not gotten a lot of level on certain things, like the bass and drums, especially the bass, so he didn't have a lot to work with. Then Iggy, on his mix, he left a bunch of guitar stuff on there that probably shouldn't have been left in, and just odds and ends. Bowie's not my favorite guy, but I have to say that overall, I think he did a pretty good job.

And Asheton:

quote:

Don Fleming goes, "You know what? When Iggy's Raw Power mix comes out, I'll bet you're gonna go -- we always used to say how bad the original David Bowie mix of Raw Power was -- Fleming's going, "When you hear Iggy's mix, I guarantee you're gonna say, 'Man, remember that great mix that David Bowie did?'" So I heard it, I got the advance copy from his manager, and listened to it. Then I called Fleming and I'm going, "Gee, Don, I just listened to Iggy's mix of Raw Power. Man, I sure loved that old David Bowie mix. Was it ever great."...Basically, all that Iggy did was take all the smoothness and all the effects off James [Williamson]'s guitar, so his leads sound really abrupt and stilty and almost clumsy, and he just put back every single grunt, groan, and word he ever said on the whole fuckin' soundtrack. He just totally restored everything that was cut out of him in the first mix, and I thought, drat, I really did like the old mix better.

The more I read it, the more shocked I am that Bowie's mix is even listenable, let alone still a great album.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 13, 2012

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Allen Wren posted:

Well yeah, I wasn't trying to say that Bowie's mix is all that great. It's just infinitely preferable to Iggy's version. To be honest, I think Raw Power is probably my least favorite of the main three Stooges albums, even though it's still pretty good.

Also, Voodoofly, I guess I kind of knew that the Raw Power sessions were a trainwreck from the get-go, but I had no idea that Bowie was so handicapped in his attempts to create anything resembling a decent mix.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

machchunk posted:

You mean the death metal band, right? (the punk band only has two albums so that's way easy to work out) Human is IMO at least their second best album, and it gives a good picture of both the traditional death metal of their first three albums and the progressive/technical death metal of the last three albums by being essentially a transition between the two styles. If between e.g. "Flattening of Emotions" and "Cosmic Sea" you prefer the former, you're going to like the early work the best, in which case, just proceed backwards chronologically from that album; if you prefer the latter song, go for Symbolic next.

Yeah. I had no idea there was a punk band with the same name. Thanks for this!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Where should I start with A Tribe Called Quest?

How about a primer to some other early 90's hip hop/rap? (I know that's pretty general)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I honestly think the Iggy mix of Raw Power sounds awesome. I know I'm not totally alone considering there's a ton of garage rock bands that record the same way. But yeah, I understand why somebody wouldn't like it

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Cervixalot posted:

I started with The Anthology which is a greatest hits collection and then when I knew I was into them I went back and got The Low End Theory. I don't know if that's the best path but it worked for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

The more I read it, the more shocked I am that Bowie's mix is even listenable, let alone still a great album.

Yeah, I knew things were bad, but that's a whole other level of "things were bad."

Farts Domino posted:

I honestly think the Iggy mix of Raw Power sounds awesome. I know I'm not totally alone considering there's a ton of garage rock bands that record the same way. But yeah, I understand why somebody wouldn't like it

Well, fair enough. I'm not going to say you're wrong or anything---maybe I haven't given it a fair shake, maybe we just have differing opinions.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

How about a primer to some other early 90's hip hop/rap? (I know that's pretty general)

Anthology is a good starting point, as was stated below. In the alternative, I really only listen to their first three albums anymore, and there is nothing wrong with going in order. I think you can debate whether People's Instinctive . . . or The Low End Theory is their best album, but really if you like Tribe you should have both, as well as Midnight Marauders.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
The Get Up kids?
Buckethead? This guy has a shitload of albums
The cure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
Soiled Meat
Clutch?