Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why do you keep asking questions with incredibly long, in-depth, and controversial answers in the "stupid/small questions" thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
EDIT: NVM, I think you were talking to the guy above me :)

razz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 9, 2012

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Abu-Saleh posted:

Thank you, that's what I think as well. I could have just paid the fees with credit card but it comes with a 3% service charge which is quite a lot.

My international wires to Yates Slovakia would often take 2 or 3 weeks, and with banks closed for the holidays recently it's not out of the ordinary that it could take that long. It depends on the bank and countries and doesn't seem that long yet.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Abu-Saleh posted:

Are you sure? This is international transfer we are talking about. We paid our last quarter's fee the same way and it took just as long. Maybe we should look into a new bank.

Will I be missing much? I think I'll miss a couple of day's classes. Math, chem, and classics
Even if its not all worked out yet, still go to the classes. The chance of wasting a few hours if things fall through is well worth not getting behind from the start. For most big classes no one will notice or care if your officially registered or not yet.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Yeah, you really ought to take these big, complicated economics questions over to D&D - they are neither stupid nor small.

Short answer: Austrian Economics is based on using pure logic in order to discover "economic truths," and eschews experimentation and experimental results as fundamentally flawed. It is the anti-science, and laughable because of it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Gravity Pike posted:

Yeah, you really ought to take these big, complicated economics questions over to D&D - they are neither stupid nor small.

Short answer: Austrian Economics is based on using pure logic in order to discover "economic truths," and eschews experimentation and experimental results as fundamentally flawed. It is the anti-science, and laughable because of it.

That's just the answer I was looking for, not an answer that breaks down every single claim of the Austrian School.

I started reading that comic and things made sense. Like "Oh, this is how things work." That was the beginning of the comic where things were simple and there were few other options. But then things got more and more complex and the people stayed simple. Then the author started bashing real life figures with fake rhyme-based names and talking about how wonderful banks are.

But when we have a system that rejects this school of thought and finds itself in its current position despite this rejection, it can be confusing.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
For those self service car washes, are you suppose to use the wax setting last? Or the wax setting then the rinse option?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TLG James posted:

For those self service car washes, are you suppose to use the wax setting last? Or the wax setting then the rinse option?

Wax then spotless rinse. At least that's what it says on the directions.

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
Anyone know where I can find the 3-packs of Chapstick? All I ever can find anymore are the single packs in checkout isles.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

alwayslost posted:

Anyone know where I can find the 3-packs of Chapstick? All I ever can find anymore are the single packs in checkout isles.

Skin care aisle

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TLG James posted:

If your car is really dirty, you should wash it all off with just water. No point in wasting wax while specks are still on your car. Though personally I would manually wax if you were going to do that. You could still do it at the car wash. You'll just have more control of the waxing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the best SNES/NES knock off system these days? I found like a hundred old games at my parents house yesterday and I want to play them. The FC twin is the one I always see at retail stores.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
I've got a guy with zero feedback bidding on a whole bunch of my books on an auction site (not Ebay).

From his comments, I'm 90% sure he's legit, but how do I cover my rear end in case he tries to file a PayPal claim or perform a chargeback?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

What's the best SNES/NES knock off system these days? I found like a hundred old games at my parents house yesterday and I want to play them. The FC twin is the one I always see at retail stores.

If you look you should be able to get cheap real NES and SNES,and not need to worry about games acting weird or video and audio being off-kilter.

All that said, this is a really good unit,also does Sega Genesis games, and supports the original controller ports so you can use the NES zapper or original controllers: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-System-NES-GENESIS-6306300/dp/B003O3EFY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326185495&sr=8-2

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

If you look you should be able to get cheap real NES and SNES,and not need to worry about games acting weird or video and audio being off-kilter.

All that said, this is a really good unit,also does Sega Genesis games, and supports the original controller ports so you can use the NES zapper or original controllers: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-System-NES-GENESIS-6306300/dp/B003O3EFY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326185495&sr=8-2

Note that the zapper will only work if you have a CRT (tube) TV.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
From what I've gathered, technical schools are big pretty much every where but the US. You either go to college proper or a technical school in other parts of the world, correct?

My question is, in the US, how do you tell a legitimate technical school from a school like ITT Tech where they heavily price gouge you for a subpar technical education?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I'm going to spend the next semester in the Czech Republic, and I want to bring my laptop. I've heard that using adapters might burn out the outlet or my computer, and was thinking I'd buy a native charger. I have a Lenovo T500 Thinkpad, I use this charger - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042ACZRK/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

How would I find which charger to buy for the Czech Republic, and where can I buy it? Thanks y'all.

Edit: or will a converter work fine, since there's the power brick?

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 10, 2012

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

2508084 posted:

From what I've gathered, technical schools are big pretty much every where but the US. You either go to college proper or a technical school in other parts of the world, correct?

My question is, in the US, how do you tell a legitimate technical school from a school like ITT Tech where they heavily price gouge you for a subpar technical education?

Look for their accreditation and who else the accrediting authority accredited. The other big obvious red flag is not being able to transfer credits; if it doesn't look like you can (as with ITT Tech) then run for the hills.

edit: If it's a for-profit school that also tends to be a big red flag.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Econosaurus posted:

I'm going to spend the next semester in the Czech Republic, and I want to bring my laptop. I've heard that using adapters might burn out the outlet or my computer, and was thinking I'd buy a native charger. I have a Lenovo T500 Thinkpad, I use this charger - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042ACZRK/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

How would I find which charger to buy for the Czech Republic, and where can I buy it? Thanks y'all.

I've never had any problems using an adapter, but your best bet is to wait until you get there and then find a computer store.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

^^^Along with this, see if you can talk to someone actually in the industry you're looking to join, especially someone who does hiring. Asking their opinion of a school can tell you loads about the place.

Edit: Xandu snuck in there, I was continuing off of recon_etc

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
Got some kind of chinese alcohol for christmas. What exactly is in those bottles?

Bottle 1:

Bottle 2:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

^^ Unrelated to the chinese alcohol above(or is it...?)

Will a formaldehyde mixture freeze?

I'm borrowing a car and when I got in this morning I found a brain in a clear box, filled with liquid. I moved it from the front floorboard to the trunk since my daughter would probably flip her poo poo if I made her ride with it

Got to thinking that since its getting to freezing at night I probably dont want it in the trunk if its going to freeze and shatter, or bust the box, or some other weird poo poo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Abyssal Lurker posted:

Got some kind of chinese alcohol for christmas. What exactly is in those bottles?

Bottle 1:

Bottle 2:

First red bottle doesn't say. But 53% alcohol makes it strong, maybe a rice wine.
White aeroplane bottle just says it is a souvenir VIP wine
Last red bottle is a Rice wine

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Ruby got Railed posted:

I'm borrowing a car and when I got in this morning I found a brain in a clear box, filled with liquid. I moved it from the front floorboard to the trunk since my daughter would probably flip her poo poo if I made her ride with it

Got to thinking that since its getting to freezing at night I probably dont want it in the trunk if its going to freeze and shatter, or bust the box, or some other weird poo poo

Wait you got in a borrowed car, found a brain in a box floating in liquid and your concern is if the disembodied brain gets too cold?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

2508084 posted:

Wait you got in a borrowed car, found a brain in a box floating in liquid and your concern is if the disembodied brain gets too cold?

Only as far I dont want to be rummaging through the trunk looking for jumper cables or something and find out that it broke loose

Now, supposing that they want the box back, I'm pretty sure I can't just stick it in one of those flat rate USPS boxes with some packing peanuts and write brain on the line for Contents. Any suggestions on sending specimins like that?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Ruby got Railed posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde has a melting point of -134 degrees F. Since things melt and freeze at the same temperature, you're safe, if it's actually formaldehyde. I seem to recall that it fell out of favor as a preservation medium because of its status as a carcinogen.

Honestly, your best bet is probably to call whoever you borrowed the car from, and ask them what they want you to do with their brain-in-a-box.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Now I feel dumb. Wiki was my first stop and I saw the melting and boiling points, just didn't make the connection between melting and freezing, duh

edit: and yeah, finding out what they want with it will be done, just my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders at 7am when I found it

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:

spog posted:

First red bottle doesn't say. But 53% alcohol makes it strong, maybe a rice wine.
White aeroplane bottle just says it is a souvenir VIP wine
Last red bottle is a Rice wine

Thanks. What's the proper way to drink it? Like, heated, chilled, mixed with something, just room temperature shots?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Dudebro posted:

I've just read Irwin Schiff's pedagogical comic, How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn't

This was an eye opener, but does anyone with a greater perspective of economics have words of guidance to offer someone learning about the Austrian School of Economics?

That comic is terrible. Do you think that prehistoric island communities really traded between individuals? It's a model of an economy based on an imaginary libertarian garden of eden that never existed.

Here's David Graeber,

quote:

It seems to me because it goes back precisely to this notion of rationality that Adam Smith too embraced: that human beings are rational, calculating exchangers seeking material advantage, and that therefore it is possible to construct a scientific field that studies such behavior. The problem is that the real world seems to contradict this assumption at every turn. Thus we find that in actual villages, rather than thinking only about getting the best deal in swapping one material good for another with their neighbors, people are much more interested in who they love, who they hate, who they want to bail out of difficulties, who they want to embarrass and humiliate, etc.—not to mention the need to head off feuds.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Econosaurus posted:

I actually just got back from a semester in the Czech Republic. If you have a brick, it should work. They use the normal EU plug and voltage amounts there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at the AIM in my profile.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ruby got Railed posted:

edit: and yeah, finding out what they want with it will be done, just my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders at 7am when I found it

That's why they left the brain for you. Please explain why a dude has brains in his car.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, you can't just casually mention that you borrowed a car that happened to have a brain inside of it and not explain it.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Got an empty spot in our 2-car garage, wife's aunt has a car thats paid for but theyre not driving so we offered to garage it and use it over the iwnter so it didnt just sit outside n die.

Few weeks ago, one of her daughters came home for Christmas and more and was driving the car. Apparently during that time someone gave it to her, and when she went back on on monday she either forgot to pack it or realized that packing a box-o-brains for an overhead bag might not be a great idea

So, I present to you, 73-225 HYDRANENCEPHALY

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ruby got Railed posted:

Few weeks ago, one of her daughters came home for Christmas and more and was driving the car. Apparently during that time someone gave it to her, and when she went back on on monday she either forgot to pack it or realized that packing a box-o-brains for an overhead bag might not be a great idea

So, I present to you, 73-225 HYDRANENCEPHALY

So your wife's aunt's daughter is what some kind of medical student?
Really all I've picked up is who had the brain. It sounds like she received a lovely christmas present? Why did someone give her the box-o-brain, and who gave it to her?

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Zotwoz posted:

I've got a guy with zero feedback bidding on a whole bunch of my books on an auction site (not Ebay).

From his comments, I'm 90% sure he's legit, but how do I cover my rear end in case he tries to file a PayPal claim or perform a chargeback?

This same guy's claiming that he can't use his PayPal and is asking me to accept a money order from Canada (he's Canadian). Should I trust him, and are there any scams related to this that I should be wary of?

Zotwoz fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 11, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We need to know WHY the brain was in the car and what kind of brain it is!

Install Gentoo posted:

Nice. Unfortunately there actually was a box that I failed to recover that contained every major system up to the dreamcast. I did find dozens of genesis games I didn't mention in the box I did find as well so that might be what i am looking for. It's a total eyesore though.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Zotwoz posted:

This same guy's claiming that he can't use his PayPal and is asking me to accept a money order from Canada (he's Canadian). Should I trust him, and are there any scams related to this that I should be wary of?

No! Scam!

Next step is that he sends you a message, "Oh, I accidentally sent the money order for way too much! Can you cash it, keep your share, and send me back the rest?" The money order will be a fake, but they'll still cash it before it's fully authorized, and you'll be left out of pocket once they realize the error and come back after you for the lost funds.

Tell him to gently caress off and make your future auctions "No first time buyers".

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Zotwoz posted:

Don't send anything to him. Tell him to come back when he CAN use his PayPal, or when he has enough funds to cover the difference (his Paypal account should be linked to his checking account or credit card for that purpose).

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zegnar posted:

That comic is terrible. Do you think that prehistoric island communities really traded between individuals?
Of course they did. Monkeys trade to this day; why would you assume prehistoric people didn't?

Edit: that comic may indeed be terrible, and probably is because all cartoon books are terrible, but not for the reason you mentioned.

randyest fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got some melatonin to help me sleep every now and then. Is it what is causing me to have even more bizarre dreams than normal? While it helps me fall asleep I'm thinking its probably counter-productive because of how much I'm waking up

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 11, 2012