Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

squigadoo posted:

What is a bubble & squeak pie?

It's basically a patty made from leftover colcannon that is fried in butter until brown and crispy. It is delicious for any meal of the day and a legendary drunk food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OK, after reviewing this is not terribly cheap if you buy all of the makings to make this one version, BUT once you buy them, you'll have the makings of dozens of amazing meals, you can add pretty much any meat, fish or firm vegetable to it to create a very delicious curry very easily, so I do think it is worth considering as an initial fairly steep investment in later deliciousness.

My recipe for anything masala:

Edit: this batch makes around about 8 200g helpings

3 big onions - chopped finely
8 cloves garlic - chopped finely (I use a couple of these: they are awesome if you want to use a lot of garlic)
2 inches ginger - chopped finely
4 green chillis - chopped finely
1 - 2 tins whole tomatoes - chopped in the can
1 tsp whole fenugreek
2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1.5 tsp whole cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2ish tblsp tomato puree
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tblsp ghee or sunflower oil
Salt+black pepper
Raw cashew nuts
Yoghurt/cream

Method:

Heat the ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the onions
Revel in the delicious smell of onion frying in ghee ( or cry because you are using oil)
Once they are are half softened, push then aside to create an oily space and throw in the cumin and fenugreek.
Cook until they smell really good - about 3-4 minutes usually
Add the garlic, ginger and chillis - fry until softened
Add the tomatoes and stir - cook for about 4-7 mins, basically til they start to simmer again
Add the chilli powder, turmeric and coriander - cook again for a minute or two
Add the puree
Add the sugar
Cook gently for 10-20 minutes.
Add a bit of salt - stir well and taste - repeat until it tastes really good. N.B. - remember this sauce will be diluted with yoghurt or cream and cashews, so take this into account if it seems too intense.

Add about 10 turns of a black pepper grinder to the mix and stir in well.

Get out your stick blender and turn this mass of disparate vegetables and spices into a beautiful smooth thick mass of red deliciousness.

At this stage you can let it go cold and freeze 200g batches for later use.

To complete:

Take 1 200g ( or thereabouts) helping of the pureed sauce and heat in a small pan
Add raw chicken or fish or par-boiled cauliflower, or whatever else seems good.
Cook gently until done.
Add either 3-4 tblsp plain yoghurt or cream and stir well.
Add 8-10 mashed cashew nuts and cook gently until thickened.

Serve with boiled rice or naan, or whatever.

Serves 1 greedy person or two sensible people.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 10, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pookah posted:

:words:
If you buy the spices in bulk (find a co-op) you can buy all those spices pretty cheap, and in the precise amounts you need. The rest should be pretty affordable.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
It's been posted ten million times to buy spices in bulk rather than the jarred McCormick's crap (from co op, health food store, grocery store, or supermarket). It's extremely sound advice, but I don't understand why it's being posted again and again and again. Read the drat thread!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Yehudis Basya posted:

It's been posted ten million times to buy spices in bulk rather than the jarred McCormick's crap (from co op, health food store, grocery store, or supermarket). It's extremely sound advice, but I don't understand why it's being posted again and again and again. Read the drat thread!

You can repeat it as much as you want but people will still buy the expensive lovely spices at the supermarket instead of going to the local ethnic market to buy better cheap spices. I've actually taken to picking up spices for some of my coworkers when I go to one of the chinese supermarkets around here since they keep thinking of excuses not to go. Overprices spices offend me :colbert:.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

squigadoo posted:

What is a bubble & squeak pie? A Terry Pratchett book told me about it, and google confirmed it was real, but what goes in it? How do you make it squeak? I am very serious.

It's basically leftover veggies and mashed potatoes and cabbage fried up with some meat that you serve the morning after you roast something for dinner. Essentially the same dish in Scotland is called rumbledethumps, which I feel is enough to qualify it as the best-named dish in the world.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

pim01 posted:

You can repeat it as much as you want but people will still buy the expensive lovely spices at the supermarket instead of going to the local ethnic market to buy better cheap spices. I've actually taken to picking up spices for some of my coworkers when I go to one of the chinese supermarkets around here since they keep thinking of excuses not to go. Overprices spices offend me :colbert:.

Yup - ethnic supermarket shopping is key

Locally I have 2 chinese supermarkets and 1 pakistani one - I would never consider buying spices anywhere else, it's like a tenth of the cost, plus I want to support local independant businesses, so it's win-win.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Spices shouldn't be taking up a significant portion of your monthly food budget.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Spices are so important because they make plain food taste better and they are good for you. Trader Joe's pepper in a grinder is not too expensive and when it's empty you can put other stuff in it. It won't do a big thing like nutmeg but it's a lot less fiddly than a mortar and pestle. I reuse one for cardamom and one for cloves (cheap as heck at the Indian stores). Fresh ground spices have so much more flavor than powder.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

wormil posted:

Spices shouldn't be taking up a significant portion of your monthly food budget.

But they sure can hurt bad when you are first starting out and have none.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

When I want something immensely satisfying, shockingly inexpensive, and apocalyptically unhealthy, I go no further than good old biscuits and gravy. It's cheap, it's easy, it's filling, and it's delicious. All you need for ingredients are a pound of pork sausage ($2.25 at my local grocer for store brand), a pint of milk (a little over a buck), a quarter cup of flour (epsilon) and some salt and pepper. You will be serving this over biscuits - either make your own or get the canned kind for $1.25, it's up to you.

Drop your sausage in the pan and sizzle it up until it's cooked, crumbled, and sitting in a decent amount of DELICIOUS PORK FAT. Sprinkle your flour over the whole works and stir stir stir until you can't see the flour anymore, and the fat has turned into a light brown pasty stuff. Stir in your milk - I do this slowly, but it probably doesn't matter that much - and although you don't have to stir it CONSTANTLY, you should stir it pretty often. In a minute or two, the milk will thicken, the gravy will come together, and it will start to smell really loving good. Salt and pepper to taste - I wind up with about a half-teaspoon of each - and serve over halved biscuits. Serves 4, 3 if you're really hungry. Not bad for under $5!

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
I made this this morning, but put the gravy on hash browns.

The major secret to gravy is to cook it until you cook out the raw flour taste, So be ready to cook it for a while.

Oh, and black pepper is essential. Not white or green or jamaican, but black pepper.

Potatoes are cheap by the way. You can make soup, hashbrowns, stirfry, curry, whatever with them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

taqueso posted:

If you go to an ethnic market/anyplace else that sells spices in bulk, like everyone has been saying, you can get a cuisine's worth of spices for just a few dollars. If you only buy as much as you'd get in a jar from the supermarket, they'll cost you about a dollar or two per spice. That's not a lot of money.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

taqueso posted:

Exactly my point, buy one or two a month and learn how to use them. The worst thing to buy are those spice kits because most of them will sit in your cabinet until it goes stale. I have a 24x30 drawer filled with spices but most of them are used for rubs so I buy in bulk but it isn't something I would necessarily recommend to someone starting out who can barely pay for groceries.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

wormil posted:

Exactly my point, buy one or two a month and learn how to use them. The worst thing to buy are those spice kits because most of them will sit in your cabinet until it goes stale. I have a 24x30 drawer filled with spices but most of them are used for rubs so I buy in bulk but it isn't something I would necessarily recommend to someone starting out who can barely pay for groceries.

By "buy spices in bulk", I don't think people are implying that a person go out and buy a giant amount of spices at once. I think they are just suggesting that you buy them from the bulk bin.

For example, I needed some onion powder a while back. The McCormick's or whatever brand at Wal-Mart was more than three dollars for a 2 oz container! I went to another store that sold spices in bulk, and bought about 1/2 cup of onion powder for I think 49 cents.

The only downside to buying spices like this is that you might want to buy containers to store them in, but hell when you're saving so much money buying spices in bulk, a couple little glass jars aren't going to break the bank.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Biscuits and gravy are fantastic, actually anything with gravy is.

Make gravy, it's cheap to make and can make boring food in to amazing food.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
When you say gravy, what do you mean? The only gravy I know of is the stuff you make with the juices from your roast. It's delicious, but you have to roast something first.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
The only ethnic market near me is a high-end Indian restaurant that's also a high-end Indian grocer. Lots of very small Latin shops, but none have bulk spices/beans/rice. Just lots of imported sodas and snacks. But on a whim I checked out an organic/high-end grocer which turned out to be a locally owned co-op with spectacular prices. So yeah look for co-ops disguised as high end grocers.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Quick tip for UK people, my local Sainsburys has a little section in one aisle that has "ethnic foods". I needed some paprika and chickpeas for a recipe, and the chickpeas were ~80-90p a can and the paprika was ~£1.70+ for one of those little jars.

In the next aisle I stumbled into the ethnic section, where a big bag of paprika, with maybe 2-3 times the amount in was 69p, and a can of chickpeas was about 35p. Same thing with canned tomatoes and a few other spices!

Not as cheap as bulk bin, but the nearest one to me is a big treck, so this is worth knowing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
you can make gravy by using the fat from bacon/sausage/any other meat you cook in a pan that sweats off some fat and adding an equal amount of flour, and then incorporating about four times that much (by volume) of an appropriate stock or other flavorful liquid (beef/chicken stock, wine, cream, milk,salted water if extremely poor/budgeting, etc.) add the liquid slowly while stirring constantly to avoid lumps until your mixture is a thin slurry, then you can dump the rest. bring to a boil then immediately reduce to a light simmer while stirring to prevent sticking and burning. once its simmering you only need to stir rarely. cook until it doesn't taste like raw flour, usually 5-8 minutes simmering. that's your basic gravy. (1:1 fat to flour to make roux. 1:4 roux to liquid to make gravy)

I prefer my gravy to be thin and smooth, but some people like to return chunks of the sausage/bacon/crispy skin/whatever to the gravy, or saute onion/mushroom/herbs/other aromatics in the fat before adding the flour. If i want herbs in my gravy I usually infuse the stock beforehand, or for things like rosemary thyme or bay chuck them in whole during the simmer so I can fish them back out easily

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

slinkimalinki posted:

When you say gravy, what do you mean? The only gravy I know of is the stuff you make with the juices from your roast. It's delicious, but you have to roast something first.

For instance, country gravy. Cook up some loose sausage (are you in the US? If not, this is the sage flavoured US style "country sausage") in a pan. When the sausage has rendered out it's fat, remove the meat and make a roux with what's left in the pan. Add milk to the roux, then salt and pepper to taste, making a thick and creamy sauce. Add the sausage back in and serve it over buttermilk biscuits, or chicken fried steak, or mashed potatoes, or whatever. If you don't have sausage you can start from bacon grease or lard or something.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Here's my sawmill gravy recipe. I like to add cayenne. Also I'm required to inform you that I'm a Yankee.

1 lb pork sausage
1 quart full-fat milk
4-8 tbsp white flour
Salt and pepper

Begin cooking the biscuits.
In a soup pot, cook the sausage and drain most of the grease.
Add flour to the sausage grease to make a roux.
Add milk and bring to a simmer.
Gradually add flour until desired consistency.
Add a pinch of salt and season generously with pepper.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 10, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

razz posted:

By "buy spices in bulk", I don't think people are implying that a person go out and buy a giant amount of spices at once. I think they are just suggesting that you buy them from the bulk bin.

Ah, I don't think any stores near me sell spice that way. By bulk I thought people were talking about the 18-24+ oz jars. Nevertheless, I still think it's wise to just buy a few at a time and experiment with them. It doesn't take much.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wormil posted:

Ah, I don't think any stores near me sell spice that way. By bulk I thought people were talking about the 18-24+ oz jars. Nevertheless, I still think it's wise to just buy a few at a time and experiment with them. It doesn't take much.

Are there no non-suburban grocery stores near you at all?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

babies havin rabies posted:

cook the sausage and drain most of the grease.

:gonk:

The grease is the most important part!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:gonk:

The grease is the most important part!

I usually drain at least half of it out. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong but if I leave it all in I get little seperated streaks of grease in the finished gravy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Add the flour to the grease in the pan, allowing the two to combine into a nice roux (stir furiously with a whisk while doing this). Then add your milk to the roux.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Are there no non-suburban grocery stores near you at all?

Maybe some in the city but any savings would probably be eaten up in parking fees. Near here we have Krogers, Food Lion, Walmart, International Foods (Hispanic Market), A&C (Asian market), & Lowes Foods. Spices are cheaper at International but I haven't seen anything not prepackaged except chilies. Spices are such a small portion of my grocery bill that savings become fairly negligible except on certain stuff (cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin) that I buy in big containers and even those last me months.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I usually drain at least half of it out. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong but if I leave it all in I get little seperated streaks of grease in the finished gravy.

You need to add the flour directly to the sausage, BEFORE the milk, and then cook that for a bit(5 minutes+), otherwise you get the floury taste, and that may account for your separation issues as well.

Edit: Don't drain the grease. You are making a roux out of flour and that grease.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

You know the huge, economical versions of the disposable pepper grinders? The ones with a black/white/red label- I want to say McCormick's but I can't verify. They suck. The collar that threads onto the container is not as strong as the one you turn for the grinder. I've had two that have broken (and spilled tons of peppercorns everywhere) within a month of purchase. I've never had a problem with the little, table-sized ones.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

wormil posted:

Maybe some in the city but any savings would probably be eaten up in parking fees. Near here we have Krogers, Food Lion, Walmart, International Foods (Hispanic Market), A&C (Asian market), & Lowes Foods. Spices are cheaper at International but I haven't seen anything not prepackaged except chilies. Spices are such a small portion of my grocery bill that savings become fairly negligible except on certain stuff (cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin) that I buy in big containers and even those last me months.

I get my spices at the organic all natural locally owned co-op hippie grocery store that is WAY to expensive for me to shop at. But the spices, my god, are cheap and they are plentiful. Looks can be deceiving. Right next to the $11/lb organic ground bison meat and $8/lb whole free-range chickens, there are spices for pennies an ounce.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

You don't have to listen to Wiggles. I make country gravy by draining off the fat, then deglazing with a little water and some bouillon powder, then I thicken it with a really quick cornstarch slurry. It's really awesome gravy and you don't have to use all that awful fat.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Instead you wind up with a translucent, gellid mass with meat crumbles. Nom.

I am a touch prejudiced here, but I find corn starch best used as an alternative to talcum powder, and gravy should be made with flour.
amything else, well, it isn't really gravy, now is it?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Rule .303 posted:

Instead you wind up with a translucent, gellid mass with meat crumbles. Nom.

I am a touch prejudiced here, but I find corn starch best used as an alternative to talcum powder, and gravy should be made with flour.
amything else, well, it isn't really gravy, now is it?

Different gravy is made with different flour. Cornstarch is good for gravy, as is flour. Do you want to make a roux or thicken some pan drippings? Do you have milk on hand or broth?

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 11, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
But it makes me think of butterscotch pudding.

I admit, I am flawed. I don't blame society, but I don't like cornstarch for gravy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

feelz good man posted:

You don't have to listen to Wiggles. I make country gravy by draining off the fat, then deglazing with a little water and some bouillon powder, then I thicken it with a really quick cornstarch slurry. It's really awesome gravy and you don't have to use all that awful fat.

Fat is not awful but gravy made without it is.

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.

feelz good man posted:

Make jambalaya!

You can make a chicken broth from a whole chicken carcass and from the odds and ends of chopping up the trinity (onion papers, celery stocks, pepper cores, etc), then you'd just need rice, garlic, salt and pepper and some cajun seasonings. Tony Chacheres is okay if you omit any excess salt from the dish, and it's like $1.

Brown the proteins, then remove and add the trinity, then the garlic. Add the rice in and stir around until it's pretty translucent and starts to get kind of brown, then add your cajun seasoning and your homemade chicken broth, then simmer. Easy :)

No. If you want to make that, call it chicken stew, but don't call it jambalaya.
recipe
Cook in a medium size pot, cast iron if you have it.
take a pound of chicken parts, seasoned with black pepper and cayenne, brown with butter, remove. Brown a pound and a half of andouille(if you can't afford andoulle, regular beef sausage will work just fine.)
Remove the meat and add tsp of flour, bring to a dark roux. Add 1 med size white onion, 1 1/2 green bell pepper, 2 cloves garlic, 2 ribs celery, fine chopped, let 'em sweat.

Add the meat back in, with 3 cups of water and 2 cups of rice.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook it for an hour-hour and a half, depending on your preference for the rice.
Let cool for 5 minutes.

Ingredients above will cost you about $12, and make enough single person food to last for 2 weeks.

rkl fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 11, 2012

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

squigadoo posted:

potato pancakes. POTATO PANCAKES.
Holy loving ROSTI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CFykOrI80

Note: most people throw the top side in to crisp up too. Crazy Swiss.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Fat is not awful but gravy made without it is.

Not swimming in fat though I think is the point.
Enough to get a ping-pongball sized nugget of flour stuck together so you can then work it down. Gradually with water/boiled-vegetable-water. Don't forget the salt. I watched my dad do every Sunday of my life until I left home. He's a Pommie-bastard stickler too, these techniques are not shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BastardAus posted:

Holy loving ROSTI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CFykOrI80

Note: most people throw the top side in to crisp up too. Crazy Swiss.

That is a terrible video Jesus.