Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Man, I want those vertically oriented monitors for coding. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap (non-IPS) monitor that works well in vert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

B-Nasty posted:

Man, I want those vertically oriented monitors for coding. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap (non-IPS) monitor that works well in vert?

Almost all of them come with stands to rotate and it's just a simple setting in windows prefs that rotates the screen.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

diospadre posted:

God I'm so happy to see a bowl of Froot Loops instead of a lovingly posed beer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates seeing people carefully compose their workstations in order to give the internet the most accurate picture of their personal tastes and interests.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

B-Nasty posted:

Wouldn't rotating a TN monitor sideways mean that your eyes will always effectively see two different images? In other words, wouldn't using a rotated TN monitor make you puke after about 3 minutes?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

It works, pretty much all there is to say.

Edit: Sorry, wasn't thinking. Resized.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 9, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It works, pretty much all there is to say.

My grandma is better at resizing images than you.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Good for games too. I'm using IPS panels.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 8, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GreatGreen posted:

Wouldn't rotating a TN monitor sideways mean that your eyes will always effectively see two different images? In other words, wouldn't using a rotated TN monitor make you puke after about 3 minutes?

Yeah, this is one of the huge benefits of IPS over TN, is that you can rotate it. The Dell U2412M is a pretty reasonably priced 16:10 IPS 24" monitor, without all the wide gamut crap of the 2410.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I have an old TN dell 19" mounted permanently in portrait and it definitely looks off but is good for reading pdfs while doing repairs and such.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Something to note about rotating the panels inward: The only game I've played that actually tries to render the scene from three different angles is DCS:A-10C, and doing so kills performance, and doesn't let you customize the angles. Most games will continue to stretch images around the edges.

Ganon posted:

Interesting how this guy moved his center monitors to halve the bezel obscuration. Might be worth the unevenness.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
Finally finished upgrading all my peripherals; should be set for a while now.

e; click for big

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 9, 2012

Ganon
May 24, 2003
A few more...

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Ganon posted:

A few more...

CoD, katanas, real guns, action figures, anime dolls, and what looks like some japanese skin mags. This one is a real winner.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

The Third Man posted:

CoD, katanas, real guns, action figures, anime dolls, and what looks like some japanese skin mags. This one is a real winner.

I suspect those guns are actually airsoft.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That was my thought after I realized the weight of that Para alone would tear that lovely rack right off the wall.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That does not make it better at all though.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Ganon posted:

A few more...

I have a new life goal

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Ganon posted:

:fap:

Such a thin bezel, how the hell do you manage this?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

It's all one one stand to. The center monitor is extended forward from the other two, halving the bezel size. I'm wondering if they're huge monitors too, meaning a relatively smaller bezel.

I tried the staggered-approach those setups show this morning, and the distance between the monitors is way off - maybe my monitors are extra deep?

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Looks like it was an extensive modification

quote:

I figure I have about 15 hours or so in this mod. The largest issue is that these monitors are real fragile inside. Especially when handling the circuit boards and ribbon cables etc. Along with that is removing the micro-fan with a heat gun when gutting the base/stand. Since the bezels and sub-housing retainers are removed I had to custom secure the LCD panels to the backlights so that they do not fall out.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ganon posted:

Find the copy of Atlas Shrugged that is surely in this photo

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wicaeed posted:

Looks like the plastic bezel around the sides of the monitors are completely removed, so what you're seeing is the exposed screens beneath it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

metalhead posted:

Looks like the plastic bezel around the sides of the monitors are completely removed, so what you're seeing is the exposed screens beneath it.

Yup. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18331050

About half way down you can see the exposed rear of the panels.

Not for me though, I still wouldn't want to spend all that time, effort and money to end up with TN panels.. (Even though it was a requirement due to wanting 120Hz).

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
3x30" TN in portrait :/ The colours must look pretty funky when sitting in the middle of them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mik posted:

3x30" TN in portrait :/ The colours must look pretty funky when sitting in the middle of them.

No, it's three 23": Samsung S23A750D.

It just says he had 3x 30" before

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Yup. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18331050

About half way down you can see the exposed rear of the panels.

Not for me though, I still wouldn't want to spend all that time, effort and money to end up with TN panels.. (Even though it was a requirement due to wanting 120Hz).
I kind of want to do something like this. I love the massive resolution, but hate the thick bezels.

I'd like to see proper massive-resolution/big/curved monitors.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 9, 2012

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
For all the stick some of the dumb hardware e-penis forums get, that is really cool.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

The Third Man posted:

I'm sure those anime dolls have seen better days...

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Dominoes posted:

I kind of want to do something like this. I love the massive resolution, but hate the thick bezels.

I'd like to see proper massive-resolution/big/curved monitors.

Agreed. My work just built a video wall, and all the TVs are like 42" with a 1/8" bezel or something stupid like that. If they can do that with TVs, why can't they do it with monitors? (Granted, I know nothing about LCD technology, so there might actually be a legit reason)

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

The Third Man posted:

LOL at the japanese skin mag bit, what mag is that?

Love the Owl displays, nice.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ganon posted:

Nothing like a good ol' 50 caliber sniper rifle and a grenade launcher for practical home defense.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bucket Joneses posted:

That was my thought after I realized the weight of that Para alone would tear that lovely rack right off the wall.

Are grenade launchers even legal to own in the US?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

SlayVus posted:

Are grenade launchers even legal to own in the US?

Yes, though as was pointed out, the weight of real firearms would bring down that rack.

E: Grenades require a special tax stamp or similar, and you have to show that you have the ability to store high explosives if you want to actually buy them. practice rounds are pretty readily available though.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Comradephate posted:

Yes, though as was pointed out, the weight of real firearms would bring down that rack.

E: Grenades require a special tax stamp or similar, and you have to show that you have the ability to store high explosives if you want to actually buy them. practice rounds are pretty readily available though.
They're a PITA to own though. No unusual restrictions on a .50 rifle though; just a 5-minute background check at the gun store.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Dominoes posted:

They're a PITA to own though. No unusual restrictions on a .50 rifle though; just a 5-minute background check at the gun store.

Depends on the state. .50 and above is considered a destructive device by the ATF, which are explicitly illegal to own in a couple of states. (to the best of my knowledge)

E: Actually, destructive device may apply only to devices without a sporting purpose. Not sure if rifles count or not.

E2: Also, to own an M82A (which is what that rifle appears to be emulating) you need about $10,000. :P

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 10, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Comradephate posted:

Depends on the state. .50 and above is considered a destructive device by the ATF, which are explicitly illegal to own in a couple of states. (to the best of my knowledge)

E: Actually, destructive device may apply only to devices without a sporting purpose. Not sure if rifles count or not.

E2: Also, to own an M82A (which is what that rifle appears to be emulating) you need about $10,000. :P
Are you sure it's not above .50 that's a destructive device?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Dominoes posted:

Are you sure it's not above .50 that's a destructive device?

You may be right. I thought I remembered reading that Desert Eagles (and other .50AE firearms) were considered destructive devices though. May have just been something I heard a long time ago and took to heart, though.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Firearms with a bore greater than half an inch are considered destructive devices with the exception of shotguns with a sporting purpose.

And for reference, the Barret M82 weighs 30.9 lbs (14.0 kg), the Druganov weighs 9.48 bls (4.3 kg), the M4 carbine weighs 6.36 lbs (2.88 kg), the M203 grenade launcher weighs 3 lbs (1.36 kg), and the M249 machine gun weighs 17 lbs (7.5 kg).

Adding to the topic, I've finished putting my Gallent together a long time ago but haven't gotten around to taking a picture (and first cleaning up the desk) so I can't share that yet. I do have photos of the space under my old desk before changing it out with the Gallent.

Remember how I said there was a poo poo ton of dust?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

I think almost every item pictured was handed down to me or acquired in trade for providing computer repair/assistance

G15 keyboard... hand-me-down
Headset... hand-me-down
Dell XPS720 machine w/ GTX285... traded for installing windows on an SSD for dudes new Area 51
24" Viewsonic display (left)... Same guy who bought the Area 51 upgraded to a 27" display, and for some strange reason didn't like the idea of running dual displays.
Crap Lenovo display (right)... Looted from an office just before they were sending a dozen of these off to the recyclers
Logitech G9X mouse... One of my clients received it as a gift, said it was too complicated for him. (He hadn't even taken it out of the packaging.) Out of the kindness of my heart, I helped dispose of it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

drukqs posted:

Dell XPS720 machine w/ GTX285... traded for installing windows on an SSD for dudes new Area 51

Haha what? That's a crazy deal. All I got was a 40gb SSD for the same exact service for a friend. Those things are tanks.