Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Finished Doctor Whooves tonight, so he'll be going on eBay in a couple days. I also found my mom's old sewing machine and managed to get it dusted off and set up.

I'm pretty pleased with how he came out, considering he's the first attempt off my first attempt at pattern-making.

He's a bit taller than the Kurojaki (from Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, and stands around 12 inches from ear to foot) plush I did for practice. Kuro is made of felt and terrible stitching.

Yee-ha. Either Fluttershy or Big Mac are next, since I have the fleece for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Drum posted:

Yee-ha. Either Fluttershy or Big Mac are next, since I have the fleece for both.

The... ladder stitch I think its called (I have no formal training, or any explicit knowledge of sewing, so bear (bare?) with me) will be useful for stitching around the neck! If you have material that has stretch, you should be able to pull the material really tightly around the seam to hide the thread!

And switching to a sewing machine will definitely help clean up your lines. Keep at it, and you'll definitely improve. It only takes a few attempts to figure out what works for you and what doesn't (I am interested in to see how it'll look with fleece - it tends to be a much nicer material to work with than felt).

Anyways. Finished another Gilda for auction, lots of positive response, so I figured I'd give it a shot for selling. I talked to Nem on the embroidery thread. I wasn't sure the embroidery patches would work with Micro-chenille, so they're mailing me some junk patches to test out - to see if it will actually bond well to my material. if it does, then I can put and order in for the eyes for this plushie, so I can have some real nice embroidery for the next one.

The beak bugs me, but I didn't actually stuff it, so that is probably why. I cut down the width of the piece for the forehead, so that the eyes get more coverage on the front, and I embedded and stitched the feathers on in a different manner, so they're more secure and more hidden (the stem of the feather).

Slowly gettin' better =P

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Made it for a friend who likes Bigfoot/yetis. I was just winging it as I went along so I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did (although he does have two left feet :doh:). My first time using my mom's sewing machine, so the teeth aren't perfect but I know my giftee will still love it. :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
That is so freakin adorable. I didn't even notice the two left foot thing. I think it makes him a distinguished yeti.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

At least he has a legitimate excuse for not being able to dance! Also, I think he is adorable.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I need some help. See I'm making a pony plushie, hoping to sell it and maybe make some money on commissioning the things. Mine are crocheted, rather then sewn together from fabric.

Having a problem though.

This post in the distant past:

Squarely Circle posted:

Pulling apart the strands is the point- I experimented a little with some scrap yarn and this is what resulted:

Modeled on the closest thing I have to a pony plush:

That teal yarn really didn't turn out very well, but it gives you a general idea. It gets really poofy and silky-feeling. If you ever need a plush to have gravity-defying hair this is probably the way to go :v:

Compelled me to try that. It comes out wonderful...if I get any back from the brush.

I'm using this brush,

and I get this result.

Is this the kind of brush that was intended? Is this happening because I'm using the extra-soft yarn and I should try it with something a little tougher? Am I just doing it wrong? Am I unfit to make adorable pony hair?

Halp?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

Is this the kind of brush that was intended? Is this happening because I'm using the extra-soft yarn and I should try it with something a little tougher? Am I just doing it wrong? Am I unfit to make adorable pony hair?

Halp?

I couldn't get anything better than that, either. I've stopped trying since then. I'm hoping the OP of that can step in and help (so you're not alone on not being able to brush it).

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
It might be the kind of yarn you're using, yeah. Yarn that is super soft or puffy won't stand up to heavy brushing; the yarn in my example is just scratchy cheap crap, but it holds together better. I used the same kind of wire pet brush, so the only thing I can think of is to try a different yarn or brush more gently.

This is exactly what I did to make those tufts:
-Cut some individual strands of yarn, somewhat longer than the hair is intended to be.
-Tie the strands in a knot at one end.
-Brush carefully and completely down the length of the strands, single strokes from the knot to the tips.

It's normal for some chunks to be pulled out as you brush, and some brands fall apart more than others. Keep trying!

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yay! Advice!

Caron Simply Soft may not be any good for this then. Phoo. Too bad though, the color is perfect. Once my car's starter is replaced I'll see if I can get some tougher stuff that's the same pale blonde.

The method of the brushing seems to matter. I've been trying pulling the yarn over the brush, laying the yarn on my desk and brushing over it, pressing down hard, pressing down lightly, barely touching it, hlding it in the air and whacking it with the brush, fraying it down to strands first, combing it out to strands first, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I made a breakthrough of sorts, with the help of this page:
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/fox-tailout-of-yarn

Apparently you have to keep the yarn you brush out pretty drat short. Longest I've been able to make work reliably was about 5 inches. Gonna have to find some tricks or some such to make the tail and anything with more length to it.

Going at it with a straightening iron makes it even softer! and straight, who'da thunk. If i ever make a Pinkie Pie or a Rarity I'm gonna have to go buy a curling iron too. woo girl things look what these ponies have done to me.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Made myself a lightbox for pretty photos.

Some things taken with it!

I am enjoying how its workin' out.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

Made myself a lightbox for pretty photos.

Some things taken with it!

I am enjoying how its workin' out.

Where do you order your fabric from, if you don't mind me asking?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Those photos are looking pretty good Brainbread, though they still seem a little dark. What kind of lighting are you using in the box?

Made an elephant for my neighbor's new baby. Her room is green with pink and purple spots, so I made the elephant to match.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Those photos are looking pretty good Brainbread, though they still seem a little dark. What kind of lighting are you using in the box?

Three fluorescent desk lamps. Because I am cheap. I can always try fiddling with the settings on my camera for lighting, and see how that goes before I drop some more cash on this project. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Also, your elephant is adorable.

Nolen posted:

Where do you order your fabric from, if you don't mind me asking?

I buy my stuff at Fabricland! In person. Its labeled as "Micro Chenille".

(I know, I'm a caveman)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks! You could fiddle with the light/dark in photoshop/generic picture editor to see if you could brighten it a bit that way (if you are like me and fear camera settings). I too am also cheap and use a very old camera and a bit of tweaking to brighten my photos.

(Please note elephant photo is not an example of one of my "good" photos. I have to do a lot of pictures of hair clips and I'm always battling the "it's not bright enough" issue).

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Finally exams are over so I had time to take my sewing machine for a test drive! Please excuse the horrible attempt at embroidery, I just slapped it on since this is just a little practice piece to see whether I could sew something without making the machine explode :saddowns:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Finally exams are over so I had time to take my sewing machine for a test drive! Please excuse the horrible attempt at embroidery, I just slapped it on since this is just a little practice piece to see whether I could sew something without making the machine explode :saddowns:

If you want to be really lazy at embroidery, like me, here is a copout. Take a length of yarn, and stitch it (via looping around the yarn, through the fabric, repeat) in the same shape. Then you get nice, thick lines and its incredibly easy.

I should probably learn how to embroider though (its what I do for the eyes of my beanies). To make it even easier, I draw the shape first with a fabric marker, one of the ones that disappears after like, a day.

Edit: Simple cute things are the best.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Brainbread posted:

If you want to be really lazy at embroidery, like me, here is a copout. Take a length of yarn, and stitch it (via looping around the yarn, through the fabric, repeat) in the same shape. Then you get nice, thick lines and its incredibly easy.

I should probably learn how to embroider though (its what I do for the eyes of my beanies). To make it even easier, I draw the shape first with a fabric marker, one of the ones that disappears after like, a day.

What you're describing is called "couching" and is a perfectly valid embroidery technique. Keep doing what you're doing.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Unoriginal posted:

What you're describing is called "couching" and is a perfectly valid embroidery technique. Keep doing what you're doing.

... I was doing a real thing?

I am actually really surprised. I thought I was cheating. I am gonna go buy some nice yarn for this now.

And keep doin' what I am doing.

Fake edit: Now I can put in the proper term for when I am listing my auctions or describing it.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Brainbread posted:

That is such a good idea, plus I've got a knitting roommate I can steal scraps of yarn from! If I really need to embroider something I should buy some actual embroidery floss anyway, half-assing it on cheapass felt with regular black thread while drinking French box wine is not a recipe for success.

I've just been using a moist 4b pencil to lightly draw the lines on, I bought one of those special white pencils but it doesn't work at all no matter what I do :saddowns:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

I've just been using a moist 4b pencil to lightly draw the lines on, I bought one of those special white pencils but it doesn't work at all no matter what I do :saddowns:

The ones I got are a two-sided felt kinda pen. Its purple on one side, and "white" on the other. It fads after about 30 hours or so, or you can clear the purple off with the white.

Its a big improvement for my patterns, as I am now no-longer using a sharpie to make my patterns (hence why my earlier stuff had those ugly back lines at their seams, I was bad).

They cost about $4 a marker at my local fabric store.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Just finished this:

Orion from Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.

About 6-7 hours, not counting pattern-making or cutting.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Not familiar with the source, but it looks cute! Does he/she/it balance alright with that pose?

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Brainbread posted:

Not familiar with the source, but it looks cute! Does he/she/it balance alright with that pose?

Yeah, he balances pretty well. I've been reading a lot of books on sewing plush toys, and found a tip for sort of binding the legs in place for added sturdiness.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

More projects done.

Merch I made for sale was

And some griffons for myself, because I lack any sort of plushies.

Happier with how the first one came out. The eye spots on the second one seem a bit big, and the feathers don't really cover enough of the head.

I also took flutterbyblue's advice on "lightening" up the photos, but I've been doing that as part of the post production.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 5, 2012

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

If anyone even reads this thread at all, I thought I'd point out joann's is having some sort of fabric sale until the 25th. 50% off all the fleece. And that applies on top of the fabric remnant discount so I got 75% off on a bunch of pony colored fabrics. I got like 5 yards for 10$. I also picked up the stuff brainbread was using for his iron on stuff, the cotton printable fabrics. Before I get started, did you iron them on before you started sewing anything at all? That seems like a pain to be sure of positioning and everything before you even put it together.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

blackflare posted:

Before I get started, did you iron them on before you started sewing anything at all? That seems like a pain to be sure of positioning and everything before you even put it together.

I make the bits (such as, the head), stuff the piece, and position the eyes. When I think they look about right, I iron the very center, flatten the piece (or just take out stuffing so its not curved), finish ironing the eye on, then flip it and do the same with the other side. If you do it while its fully stuffed and curved, you can get some bubbling on the side.

I'm not talented enough to do everything beforehand, hence why I'm still shying away from embroidery.

Or you can just do it while the head is stuffed. As long as you apply equal pressure and go from one-side to the other, should turn out fine. I'd recommend practicing before you do it on a finish project (make a practice head), because they are drat painful to get off.

On a different note, making beanies has been far more satisfying and easy compared to making plushies

(in total, less than 10 hours of work, which would have been 1 to 1.5 normal plushies)

And I've got some talking plushies in the works. That'll be interesting.

Edit: here is a guide by a popular plush maker for eyes http://babylondonstar.deviantart.com/art/Iron-on-eye-tutorial-100735151

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Oh thanks a bunch, that helps. I got that exact brand and everything too. How much do your beanies sell for? Is it more money/time ?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

blackflare posted:

How much do your beanies sell for? Is it more money/time ?

Same here, i just kind of want one to throw on the dashboard of my car. I've never actually watched the pony cartoon these come from but i'm sure my daughters have. In other words i'd like to know how to obtain one.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Toucan Sam posted:

Same here, i just kind of want one to throw on the dashboard of my car. I've never actually watched the pony cartoon these come from but i'm sure my daughters have. In other words i'd like to know how to obtain one.

My commission price is $30 + shipping, though the auctions tend to sell for between $58-204. If you want a beanie, find the character that you want it of, and send an email to mlpponyplush at gmail dot com. Thats the one I set up for "work".

Its a terrible week for me, but Spring Break is coming up and I'll have lots of free time then. I also do everything through PayPal, so I hope thats not a problem.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Thanks i will contact you after i look up the characters.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Behold! My latest creation

Zergling Gallery

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That is awesome comrade quack . And the pictures are looking much better Brainbread.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

flutterbyblue posted:

Holy crap I am impressed with the ponies and how much they have been selling for :aaa:. Extremely well done. I hope you slapped as much confirmation on that package as you can. Let us know how it pans out when the person gets their item.

And thank you nolen for pointing me in this direction. I do not have anything very impressive to show, just a dragon and an elephant I made off of patterns from etsy.

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I am DYING to know where you got this dragon pattern. Do you still have a link?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Sure thing! The dragon pattern is right here. I really recommend the three pattern bundle. I have the dragon, elephant, owl, lion, penguin, and green monster patterns and they're all pretty awesome.

flutterbyblue fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 19, 2012

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Awesome! Thanks so much :D

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

Behold! My latest creation

Zergling Gallery

I guessed it was a Zergling before I saw the gallery title =P

Very cute!

Also, thanks flutterbyblue

Some commissions and stuff I did for auctions

And then I changed up how I did the hair for these two. "Steam-a-seam" glue helped fuse the felt to the main layer, which I think looks much more professional (eg, better)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Augh, the beanies are so cute. If it weren't for the creepy brony thing I'd be tempted. Sorry Brainbread, you do good work, but I can't quite go there. My poor childhood :ohdear:

I made more dragons! A couple of my aunts wanted one.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Augh, the beanies are so cute. If it weren't for the creepy brony thing I'd be tempted. Sorry Brainbread, you do good work, but I can't quite go there. My poor childhood :ohdear:

I made more dragons! A couple of my aunts wanted one.

I had a Pony-less Childhood, so there is nothing to ruin there. Everyone I know have justified me making ponies by the fact that they sell pretty well. I'd probably have a lot more criticism from my friends if I were just hoarding them.

I ended up making one for my mom, because she thought they were really cute. So that is a fairly unbiased opinion on them (I tell myself).

I want to see how porkypocky's attempt at your dragon will turn out!

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Oh, I totally support you taking advantage of the market as much as you can. You sell those ponies, you sell them so hard! And they are extremely cute.

But the more I learn about the brony community the more I worry that someone might see me with a tiny beanbag horse and think that means they should approach me and discuss the show at length. That's cool if you're a 9 year old girl, less cool if you're a 25 year old guy I don't know.

And yes! Porkypocky show us your dragon when you get it made!

flutterbyblue fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 28, 2012

• Locked thread