Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Something's not right here. I'm using Brutal Doom v0.14 with UTNT and the latest version of Skulltag and I'm getting the class selection menu. I just loaded it up and selected the second episode and didn't have any issues with prompts. This makes me think it's not necessarily a conflict between UTNT and Brutal Doom but something else.

Well I was using GZDoom so I tried it with Skulltag but the message is still there, and I still don't get to pick a class. I'm using Brutal Doom 0.14 and Skulltag 98d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

bleedbackwards posted:

Well I was using GZDoom so I tried it with Skulltag but the message is still there, and I still don't get to pick a class. I'm using Brutal Doom 0.14 and Skulltag 98d.

Very strange. I wonder what we're doing differently. I'm just drag / dropping both Brutal Doom and UTNT over my skulltag.exe as I do with everything.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's most likely load order - The Doom engine loads WADs in the order given to it, and drag-and-dropping can be kind of a crap shoot order-wise.

Also, UTNT changes a lot under the hood as well so I wouldn't be shocked if Brutal Doom had some horrible conflict with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Also, UTNT changes a lot under the hood as well so I wouldn't be shocked if Brutal Doom had some horrible conflict with it.

That's the thing, though: I've played through a lot of UTNT with several versions of Brutal Doom and haven't had any problems. I've always considered the combination a beautiful pairing (granted, the new creatures can't be headshotted, etc.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

Also, you've neglected Reelism on your list of mods at the start of the thread.
Fixed! I also added AMC TC and Toxicfrog's description posts. I also threw in a link to Jblade's anti-slimer code because why not.

Anything else I should throw in, while I'm at it? Any useful guides or anything?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Quick question for AMC peoples: I was on the Revolution mission at the third part (where you play as Highwire again) and got to this section right here.

The door doesn't open and I eventually realized you had to jump through the high window, but are you supposed to do it by bringing one of your squaddies with you and jumping on his head to reach it? Because if that's the answer and all my guys had died, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Edit: Oh, wait, you can wall-kick through the window. I use it so infrequently that I forgot it was a feature V:v:V

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 7, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Thompsons posted:

-Worst thing about it (or the best thing, I think it's funny as hell) is the voice-acting and story. That aside, I haven't had this much fun with Duke Nukem since I finished War of Attrition.
heh, thanks - the story does get better once the plot points tie in but it's pretty early so it's all a bit disconnected right now.

quote:

-The characters are all goofy as hell but I love how distinct their arsenals are (like Znort's guns don't require reloading, Merlijn is melee, Nikko's armor-piercing gats, etc); they even get different powerups, which made me smile.
I did struggle with making them distinct and should of done more but I'm glad so far people are finding enough differences between then.

quote:

-Levels themselves seem great so far after about four stages in. The biggest worry I had was everything being a giant circuitous keycard hunt like War of Attrition's community maps were, but it looks like you managed to skirt that. I think the Hell map could've been shorter but it was far from the worst thing I've ever played. --Edit: playing the Abyss level again, getting the red key is kind of obtuse because as far as I can tell, you end up going through a teleporter and arrive at this boney meat-tower thing, and to get up to the balcony you have to use the jump pad in front of it. The problem is that I have no idea how you're supposed to activate it and just got through it by chance after kicking the tower's base and then backing up over the jump pad. If I were you I'd look over that part again and give the player some kind of scanner hint or something because I basically found the answer through dumb luck.
That unfortunately was a bug - one tester fell into the pit so I filled it up but it broke the jump effect. There is a fix for that but I'm working on a patch as it is.

quote:

-Research and topics carrying over from one game to the next is great since I don't have to search through every level on multiple playthroughs, though I'm kinda curious as to how I get these weapons and ammo types I researched. Do I pick them up in the armory before heading to the briefing room? Also, are there ways to switch between characters at the base?
There's a loadout screen next to the armoury where you can equip characters with found and researched items. Most levels will let you start with the stuff you've assigned but a few like Megabase won't since you get shot down at the level's start.

quote:

-Streamed it, one friend thought it was completely absurd and dumb. Then again, he didn't like Brutal Doom either so there's no accounting for taste :v:
Is the stream saved anywhere online? I'd love to watch another person playthrough it.

quote:

The door doesn't open and I eventually realized you had to jump through the high window, but are you supposed to do it by bringing one of your squaddies with you and jumping on his head to reach it? Because if that's the answer and all my guys had died, I'd be pretty pissed off.
That was the answer originally, I rushed to find a way to make him be needed for proceeding but now I've just stuck a switch next to the door.

quote:

In the stats menu in the computer at the AMC base, it mentions something about "Coop Points". Does it support co-op?
Yes and no. The Eduke32 team made new netcode but it's not finished yet so multiplayer is pretty much hosed at the minute (I haven't tried it in a while) but there's a shitload of multiplayer, co-op, and invasion maps in the TC as it is now. Seperate co-op maps have to be made for SP levels since the cutscenes and some special effects won't work but apart from that everything works in MP (or it used to at least) I even found a way to make the weapons and pickups look appropriate for each character, and to make certain things invisible to certain characters only.

quote:

Secondly, in the Megabase level, I found a sort of easter egg(?) on some ducts near the suspended crate that you can jump on to get to one of the roofs. It said something like "SLEEP SLEEP REST". Any info on what that's about? I like to imagine the mapper was up really loving late that night.
Did you accidentally shoot or touch the brain-on-a-stick machine in the medroom? You get those bizarre messages if that happen since it's a direct mental attack.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 7, 2012

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I'm surprised at how good the retextured Marathon games look. The mood and lighting reminds me more of Chex Quest than Doom, which is great because I loved Chex Quest.

Edit:
It's fast though and makes me a bit queasy. The corridors are way too tight in Marathon 1.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 7, 2012

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

It looks like Christmas

Will you be adding more maps in future releases, or will other people be able to make maps for it? Because I think a Doomified version of Dead Rising's mall or Fortune City would fit this mod really well.

Or maybe a bonus mode - a score attack based on the most satisfying reel combination - Infinite Ammo, Flame Weapons, Bronies.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Someone had added me on Steam, and it might have been from my request in this thread. I accidentally clicked 'reject' or 'ignore' instead of accept, and I didn't totally see the name. I just misclicked. If it was someone from here, sorry, please add me again! :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

Will you be adding more maps in future releases, or will other people be able to make maps for it? Because I think a Doomified version of Dead Rising's mall or Fortune City would fit this mod really well.

Or maybe a bonus mode - a score attack based on the most satisfying reel combination - Infinite Ammo, Flame Weapons, Bronies.
There should be a mapmaking.txt file in the zip file that tells you about Reelism-specific level-building stuff.

I've sort of kept a bit quiet here about the next update because I sort of don't want to take over the thread... but yes, I'm working on a big "expansion pack" update, which will add a couple of new maps, around 18 new rules, and some new items and bosses. It changes things up quite a bit!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I miss the days of shareware. Tons of great games being released, and none of this lovely 1-level demo stuff. Doom gave you a full third of the game to play without paying a dime. After playing those 9 levels it never occurred to me to just say 'Welp I'll just replay this over and over' instead of buying the whole game or whatever modern publishers are worried about.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I miss the days of shareware. Tons of great games being released, and none of this lovely 1-level demo stuff. Doom gave you a full third of the game to play without paying a dime. After playing those 9 levels it never occurred to me to just say 'Welp I'll just replay this over and over' instead of buying the whole game or whatever modern publishers are worried about.

I remember downloading the Quake demo off of the AOL Games page. It was 70 or 80 MB--which was colossal for a dial-up connection--and took all night. There weren't even any preview screenshots of the games or anything. At most, there was a basic synopsis, so you were basically taking a shot in the dark that your 6-8 hours of downloading would yield something worth playing.

Ah, the glorious dial-up crawling Web 1.0 demo downloading days. :allears:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That reminds me...funny story. Quake 1 required a Pentium and I only had a 486SX/33.

So when the demo came out, I downloaded a program that emulated a math co-processor.

The good thing is that it made the game work. The bad part is that it ran at about one frame per MINUTE.

I think it that Christmas that I got a boxed copy of Quake and a Rendition Verite card so I guess it all worked out in the end.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

That reminds me...funny story. Quake 1 required a Pentium and I only had a 486SX/33.

So when the demo came out, I downloaded a program that emulated a math co-processor.

The good thing is that it made the game work. The bad part is that it ran at about one frame per MINUTE.

I think it that Christmas that I got a boxed copy of Quake and a Rendition Verite card so I guess it all worked out in the end.

That reminds me of the time I got Half Life and had to upgrade from 16 MB of RAM to 48 by buying a blazing fast 32 MB RAM stick. Or the time I got a 16 MB Voodoo 3 GPU so I could play Turok 2.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Jblade posted:

Is the stream saved anywhere online? I'd love to watch another person playthrough it.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19577529

Me messing around on Ganymede and Abyss. This was my first runthrough and I ended up missing the switch that opens the hangar bay :v: I did end up loving the game, but Abyss was probably my least favorite section.

As a sidenote I think I'm doing your protozoid removal thing wrong; was I supposed to edit the GAME or AMCGAME CON file? Because the latter one has a lot of stuff in it and editing the former didn't do anything.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Thompsons posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19577529

Me messing around on Ganymede and Abyss. This was my first runthrough and I ended up missing the switch that opens the hangar bay :v: I did end up loving the game, but Abyss was probably my least favorite section.

As a sidenote I think I'm doing your protozoid removal thing wrong; was I supposed to edit the GAME or AMCGAME CON file? Because the latter one has a lot of stuff in it and editing the former didn't do anything.
It's a bit more complicated for the AMC TC but if you open up AMCGAME.con, search for 'onevent EVENT_GAME' and then stick those 2 lines about the EGG and GREENSLIME after that and it should work. I've added it in to the settings section for the next patch though.

Thanks for the stream, I'm gonna check it out now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That reminds me of the time I got Half Life and had to upgrade from 16 MB of RAM to 48 by buying a blazing fast 32 MB RAM stick. Or the time I got a 16 MB Voodoo 3 GPU so I could play Turok 2.

I bought a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP in 1999, had an AMD K6-III these days and could play Unreal 1 at 1280x1024 using glide without ever going under 40fps :allears:

I miss 3dfx cards so much, i had a voodoo 2 and 3 and lasted me years, without worrying about drivers like today with nvidia and ATI: 'will this version work or will they bring more bugs?' gently caress that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wow, Knee Deep In The ZDoom is some loving bullshit difficulty wise. I don't know whether I want to keep playing this, if this is the first level.

There's a reason the original game didn't put a ton of hitscan enemies in every room while you're still using the pistol. Then once you get the shotgun, you start having to fight multiple invisible imps in dark rooms, and they have rapid fire projectiles.

Brutal Doom upped the difficulty some but at least gave you better weapons and headshots to compensate.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess the difficulty evens out a lot after the first level because I was running around at full health most of the time during the second.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey stupid question, exactly what does effecting sectors mean in relation to awesome 90s shooters, please forgive me :smith:

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Hey stupid question, exactly what does effecting sectors mean in relation to awesome 90s shooters, please forgive me :smith:

The Build Engine uses something called "sector effectors" to achieve the various sector-based effects in the game, like flickering lights, geometry to be destroyed by explosions, etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thus far I'm not too terribly impressed with KITZD. The new enemies are cool, but the new scripting stuff has thus far mainly been used to send the player on obscenely long keyhunts, while never really getting more clever than the level design in Quake II.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

TOOT BOOT posted:

I ran Quake shareware on my DX2/66. Admittedly I had to shrink the screen until it was the size of a postage stamp so I wouldn't call it an unqualified success :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A new patch is out for AEons of Death along with an "effects choker" for if your performance sucks

quote:

v6.01 fixes
- V6's nightmare is now known as "Monster mayhem"
- Reworked menu graphics to be more readable
- Several projectiles not playing any sound
- Lichstaff recoil was being applied too late
- Leftovers of a weapon no longer in AEoD were still being dropped
- Blood Zombie was sometimes randomly spawning friendly critters
- Hellroot was not alerting monsters when fired
- Some weapons were not playing any "draw" sound.
- Fixed some compatibility issues with Scythe 2
- If player gets killed but changes to a new map, now you get again the starting weapons
instead of entering the new map with empty hands.

v6.01 Additions
- New "Nightmare!" skill level.
- Shotgunner class monsters drop an special orb to give you a shotgun equivalent.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Reelism is remarkably addictive! Though I've learned to dread when Former Humans come up in the enemy reel. Hundreds of hitscan weapons. You can imagine how that usually works out for me. At least there's oodles of infighting.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess the difficulty evens out a lot after the first level because I was running around at full health most of the time during the second.

Do yourself a favor and skip straight to Z1M8 if you don't plan to play through all of it. It's a worthy reinvention in regards to the feelings of dread and fear E1M8 still evokes to this day. Don't let it trick you into thinking the rest of the episode is as good, though.

e; And yeah, y'know, while KDiZD is convoluted as gently caress all, it's not the on-rails scripted experience that composes a majority of modern shooters. It concedes to some pretty bad design principals, but it's nothing if not detailed. Sometimes you may be in a mood to spend hours searching for a single secret on a single map. Maybe. Are you ever in that mood? Probably not. But that's not the point. If ever--by some freak series of events (which will most likely be incredibly maudlin and horrifying) in your unfortunate life--you find yourself in that mood, you can rest easy knowing you have a wad to fulfill it.

It's the satisfying gunplay of doom injected into a whole different beast. When you think of it that way and manage to pull the "why am I not playing _____.wad instead" thoughts out of the front of your mind, you might find you really enjoy it.

treat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 10, 2012

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember downloading the Quake demo off of the AOL Games page. It was 70 or 80 MB--which was colossal for a dial-up connection--and took all night. There weren't even any preview screenshots of the games or anything. At most, there was a basic synopsis, so you were basically taking a shot in the dark that your 6-8 hours of downloading would yield something worth playing.

Ah, the glorious dial-up crawling Web 1.0 demo downloading days. :allears:

The Quake shareware is only 8.8MB. Even the full game is only 50-something megs.

The first game that I recall requiring a "huge" download was Sin. There was a day one 30+ meg patch which was unheard of at the time. I think that you could actually call them and ask for it to be mailed on a CD.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The_Franz posted:

The Quake shareware is only 8.8MB. Even the full game is only 50-something megs.

The first game that I recall requiring a "huge" download was Sin. There was a day one 30+ meg patch which was unheard of at the time. I think that you could actually call them and ask for it to be mailed on a CD.

Huh, weird, I must have remembered it incorrectly then. Still, at 8.8 MB, it took like 90 minutes to download...which, for my young self, might have felt like 8 hours. There WAS a demo on AOL that I remember taking all night to download. And then, later, the Unreal Tournament '99 mods that were each 4-6 hours. Basically, dial-up was a terrible, terrible thing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The_Franz posted:

It was Diablo, the demo was 100mb which was completely out of reach for most people and they were pissed about it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm a young'n but even I remember pulling an all nighter to keep aol from disonnecting me while i downloaded urban terror.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm a young'n but even I remember pulling an all nighter to keep aol from disonnecting me while i downloaded urban terror.

Or Tactical Ops.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Ah, I remember those dial up days. "I said don't pick up the phone!! Aaagggh!"
Thank God for that GetRight download manager. Pausing and resuming downloads, auto disconnect when done, those were the days. Putting along on 9600, and then we upgraded to a blazing fast 28.8. Yessss... Sorting thru AOL, Prodigy, and local BBS's for demos and stuff... drat, I feel old now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The_Franz posted:

Remember SiN's 300 megabyte save files? I believe they were fixed with a later patch though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

All I remember about SiN is cleaning out Hank, the angry drunken dwarf's bank account.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Ah, I remember those dial up days. "I said don't pick up the phone!! Aaagggh!"
Thank God for that GetRight download manager. Pausing and resuming downloads, auto disconnect when done, those were the days. Putting along on 9600, and then we upgraded to a blazing fast 28.8. Yessss... Sorting thru AOL, Prodigy, and local BBS's for demos and stuff... drat, I feel old now.

wget -c supremacy. :colbert:

I remember spending forever downloading a demo or patch for something in bits and pieces. The weird bit is, I remember how large it was - 47MB - but have no recollection whatsoever what it was, just that 47MB was crazy huge. It took forever to download and had to be resumed several times.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

We should do a Descent 1 or 2 deathmatch game at some point. I've played 3's DM and it was really fun.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Hey Kins, are you going to add more music in the Reelism expansion? I love me some Reelism, but it seems like there's a staggeringly small selection of music and it gets pretty repetitive after several playthroughs.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Hey guys.
I think somebody here might be able to help me.
I remember a doom clone (around the time doom II came out I think) that had you driving around in a taxi and running stuff over etc...
A bit like a very early version of GTA , set in a post-apocalyptic world.
Can't remember the name though...

Speaking of doom. I recently found this track I made in 2007 or 8, and some of you might recognise to what it was a tribute. http://youtu.be/TvlXf4bcYoM .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I'm guessing Quarantine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wilYD4Fs8l8