Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bethesda would tell you that they came from the Super-Duper Mart in DC.

It's obvious that Ceaser took part of his inspiration for the look and equipment of the Legion from that great Pre-War equivalent of the Roman Gladiators-The National Football League. In his youth he watched old tapes of the most famous plays again and again-From the Greatest Game Ever Played of '58 to the RobCo Bowl of '072, and when he became leader of a new civilization, he realized that this may be his only chance to recreate the past. He sent his scouts far and wide, collecting memorabilia from the most distant lands. It was his goal to collect at least one piece of history from each of the 42 teams of the 2077 NFL, from the LA Jaguars to the Nevada Atomics. Since Football was so popular, it was easy to collect relics from all of the teams-save one. For this, he had to send a single man across the country, to the heart of Pre-War America. Even then, the search wasn't easy-it was only after years of fighting off raiders and subsisting on Mole-Rats that the scout was able to find his prize, hidden in an old, bombed out supermarket: The remains of the last ever Washington Redskins fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

CJacobs posted:

Way to miss the point of that part of the quest. Good thing you aren't any taller or it'd hit you right in the noggin.

(hint: the point is that you go there to find any source of scavengeable food but there is a raider camp set up inside and they've, y'know, set up camp inside, so they either scavenged or took most of the food that was there anyway)

I get that raiders take things...? I'm saying even if it was untouched, there would have been barely anything in there because it's pitiful like pretty much everything else in the game?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brace posted:

I get that raiders take things...? I'm saying even if it was untouched, there would have been barely anything in there because it's pitiful like pretty much everything else in the game?

I think she was trying to confirm / deny that places like the Super-Duper Mart were a good location to look for food and supplies, so she could put it her stupid book with the rest of her poisonous advice (all sabotage, courtesy of the player) and singlehandedly kill an entire generation with bad advice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I'm pretty sure the point of the quest was that she was giving outright wrong information, so saying that "it would be empty even if there were no raiders" is being presumptuous.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

CJacobs posted:

Way to miss the point of that part of the quest. Good thing you aren't any taller or it'd hit you right in the noggin.

(hint: the point is that you go there to find any source of scavengeable food but there is a raider camp set up inside and they've, y'know, set up camp inside, so they either scavenged or took most of the food that was there anyway)

The upshot of that is while there was sparse food in the place you could kill everyone and take their guns and poo poo. I was armed like a motherfucker after that.

Actually the survival guide was a fun quest only because at the end of it you could always select an arm flailing "THERE WERE FUCKEN RAIDERS/MONSTERS/MINES/SOME OTHER CRAZY rear end poo poo!!!?????" response.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nah, I know I came off harsh, but I only meant to come off half-harsh.

There's a significant difference between nitpicking minutiae aesthetics like spikes and tubes, and a complete goddamned faction, by the way. Would it flip your world if I asked for SOME KIND of explanation for why there's a limitless supply of uniformed mercenaries running around, trying to kill me that have nothing to do with the actual bad guys trying to kill me?

Wait, were you the one that tried to explain that the spikes and metal for raiders was unreasonable, given the degree of metalworking required and climate in the New Vegas, or something equally ridiculous?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, that was you. And you're trying to tell people where to start questioning plot holes?

A. You're literally retarded, I made fun of you for being dumb enough to spazz out and try to play pretend that was what I was saying last time. I guess I used too many syllables?

B. Talon Company am fight you because same as Raiders fight you, same Enclave no have plan beyond kill all mans. Them am bad mans, in FO3 bad mans is am bad brain sick, make mans charge big killy mans with shiny metal armor and big shooty boom sticks with only clubs because them am bad.

that why.

3. You might wanna work on your personality, since you're really not coming off as the grouchy intellectual whose searing genius makes up for his deep personal flaws type

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the point of the quest was that she was giving outright wrong information, so saying that "it would be empty even if there were no raiders" is being presumptuous.

I found the Super Duper Mart before Megaton and her dialogue was different as I got to tell her about the jerks I ran into at level 1 for her book.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

A. You're literally retarded, I made fun of you for being dumb enough to spazz out and try to play pretend that was what I was saying last time. I guess I used too many syllables?

B. Talon Company am fight you because same as Raiders fight you, same Enclave no have plan beyond kill all mans. Them am bad mans, in FO3 bad mans is am bad brain sick, make mans charge big killy mans with shiny metal armor and big shooty boom sticks with only clubs because them am bad.

that why.

3. You might wanna work on your personality, since you're really not coming off as the grouchy intellectual whose searing genius makes up for his deep personal flaws type

I'll end on this note: I just want an explanation for Talon Company. I cannot die until I get it.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'll end on this note: I just want an explanation for Talon Company. I cannot die until I get it.

They're assholes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

They're assholes.

I want Todd Howard to tell me that.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Where did Caesar find thousands of football uniforms?

I like to think they're actually cutting up gecko or coyote or people or whatever leather into football padding because Caesar says so, and the other book he's read besides Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire was a Sports Illustrated volume

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I like to think they're actually cutting up gecko or coyote or people or whatever leather into football padding because Caesar says so, and the other book he's read besides Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire was a Sports Illustrated volume

Ceaser's a Broncos fan. It's why he conquered Denver.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I want Todd Howard to tell me that.

From Wikipedia:

The Talon Company are a game mechanic in Fallout 3 the video games designed to give the player something to do every now and then. They live in an inexplicable base of operations payed for with moonbeams and powered by rainbows and exist to extinguish all sentient, helpful life on the planet for no other reason than the fact that it is the future and they are assholes.

By Todd Howard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

From Wikipedia:

The Talon Company are a game mechanic in Fallout 3 the video games designed to give the player something to do every now and then. They live in an inexplicable base of operations payed for with moonbeams and powered by rainbows and exist to extinguish all sentient, helpful life on the planet for no other reason than the fact that it is the future and they are assholes.

By Todd Howard.

:monocle:

Well there aren't any quotation marks there, but everything else has Howard's watermark.

If you had Wild Wasteland, the final battle shouldn't have taken place at the Hoover Dam. It should have taken place in an old high school football stadium.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Now the story of a wealthy mercenary company who lost everything, and the one randomly spawning assassin who had no choice but to keep them all together. It's Fallout 3.

By Ron Howard.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Now the story of a wealthy mercenary company who lost everything, and the one randomly spawning assassin who had no choice but to keep them all together. It's Fallout 3.

By Ron Howard.

Now you're just pushing your luck.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Would it break the game's economy to have armor-repairing kits to go along with the weapon-repairing kits?

I'm just sayin', I don't always want to lug around Metal Armor to repair the Power Armor with (or equivalents).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Where did Caesar find thousands of football uniforms?

He looted them from the ruins of a home that once belonged to that ball-lover RICHIE MARCUS.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I'm honestly looking forward to Bethesda's Fallout 4 after how much better Skyrim was to Oblivion. Sure the story will suck but they got that world building where I can find corpses with valuable poo poo on them that tells a story. Something that New vegas was missing in my opinion.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
There's really only a couple dozen football uniforms and hundreds upon hundreds of naked guys who pounce on and loot the bodies of the clothed ones as soon as you walk away from killin' em. This is also why you never see more than a handful of Legionaries at any given time.

Caesar found it keeps his people motivated, and good at hiding.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One word:

Plastics.

I'll have you know that I'm ignoring this because it's perfectly reasonable and undramatic and I don't want to encourage that sort of thing

Except now I guess I'm ignoring it in the sense that someone tells you they're not talking to you

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Man Whore posted:

I'm honestly looking forward to Bethesda's Fallout 4 after how much better Skyrim was to Oblivion. Sure the story will suck but they got that world building where I can find corpses with valuable poo poo on them that tells a story. Something that New vegas was missing in my opinion.

I dunno, I prefer live people to tell me stories and not dead ones.

Skraad
Jul 1, 2007

Scorchy posted:

It's going to be bethesda's people, so you will wish they were dead. But you can't kill them, because they'll be set to essential.

God help us all.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Scorchy posted:

Its east coast-west coast man. West coast got people,east coast got corpses.

If Bethesda would just hire writers not influenced by the black-white school of thought (and better coders) they would make my perfect game,or maybe Obsidian gets bethesda's world builders,whichever comes first.

redmercer posted:

Presumably his next move after Boulder Dam is a great push to Oakland
He already conquered the pitt.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 10, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ceaser's a Broncos fan. It's why he conquered Denver.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

redmercer posted:

The only man who can save the NCR now is Al Davis.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only man who can save the NCR now is Al Davis.

"Get hosed, smoothskin!"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Why does the world enter a universal state of temporal stasis when I talk to people?

Mass existential crisis of all things organic and inorganic due to a disruption in the Noosphere. It's a STALKER tie-in, every time you speak it's like a miniature non-violent blowout.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

redmercer posted:

Even in 2077, LA doesn't have an NFL franchise. Football never changes.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

One thing I would like to see in the next Fallout is for enemies with guns to actually use tactics you would use when using guns, instead of "I'm gonna run right up to you and poke this gun in your FACE!!! And shoot you in your FACE!!!" It's pretty much melee with bullets right now and it ends up in some silly looking fights sometimes.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did the game tell you that, or are you just coming up with that? Because you're just coming up with that. At no point does the game reveal in any way, shape, or form, what Talon Company is or exactly what they are doing. The wiki page on them has one footnote: A quote from a Prima guide.

Deducted logic, I tend to do that in my spare time, and it is pretty much the only way Littleton will care about such contracts. When someone like GUVMENT got poo poo tons of caps and weapons. Someone will take the contract.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Roman posted:

One thing I would like to see in the next Fallout is for enemies with guns to actually use tactics you would use when using guns, instead of "I'm gonna run right up to you and poke this gun in your FACE!!! And shoot you in your FACE!!!" It's pretty much melee with bullets right now and it ends up in some silly looking fights sometimes.

This'd call for a fair bit more sophisticated combat model to be reasonable, the one in place is mostly pretty barebones. And with that there'd be issues with the whole RPG vs. FPS deal, etc. I can't think of an open-map game that makes even the most basic attempt at serious gunplay that doesn't turn into a meatgrinder.

Not that I'm disagreeing that'd be cool if it worked

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 10, 2012

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I can't think of an open-map game that makes even the most basic attempt at serious gunplay that doesn't turn into a meatgrinder.
It seemed to work well in Red Dead Redemption. Way better than GUN IN YOUR FACE anyway.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

It seemed to work well in Red Dead Redemption. Way better than GUN IN YOUR FACE anyway.

I'd love to see the next fallout have a combat system like red dead redemption, but still developed by obsidian.

Basically I want Fallout: New Vegas. Red Dead Redemption edition.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Probably shouldn't have let Boone get so close to the slave camp. Probably shouldn't have been wearing NCR gear. Probably shouldn't have started shooting as soon as I saw their stupid skirts.
Sorry Caesar I guess I'm going to have to shoot my way through your camp with explosive rounds, a first recon sniper with an anti-material rifle in power armor, and a robot I fixed with my mind that has workbenches and ammo presses inside it.
Really sorry about the wolfhat guy too. Oh well. At least you don't have brain cancer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

Even in 2077, LA doesn't have an NFL franchise. Football never changes.

Except that in Fallout's parallel universe, the XFL was successful and the NFL was eventually eclipsed by it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Except that in Fallout's parallel universe, the XFL was successful and the NFL was eventually eclipsed by it.

...Fallout: New Vegas was the prequel to Mutant League Football YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The next fallout should let you bet on Super Mutant Football matches.

I wanna see them in their cute little helmets, knocking each other out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

The next fallout should let you bet on Super Mutant Football matches.

I wanna see them in their cute little helmets, knocking each other out.

Mutant League Football!!

So, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into, Hardcore Mode isn't _that_ bad. Just make sure you have a murder machine like Boone on your side, a high survival skill, Adamantium Skeleton, and play it safe through most encounters. Yeah. I can do this.

Unfortunately I disintegrated Veronica with the C-Finder. Oops.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hardcore is more of a nuisance than "hard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

gyrobot posted:

Deducted logic, I tend to do that in my spare time, and it is pretty much the only way Littleton will care about such contracts. When someone like GUVMENT got poo poo tons of caps and weapons. Someone will take the contract.

I thought that Littlehorn was supposed to be the Anti-Christ.