Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Hog Obituary posted:

Heh, expect a four cylinder hybrid or weighing 3800 lbs or some poo poo.

It's already confirmed to be a hybrid. They've shown the powertrain in an Accord.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/07/we-try-hondas-cutting-edge-electric-sh-awd-system/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Veloster turbo leaked.

201 horsepower / 196 lb-ft of torque
6-Speed manual or automatic transmission
2,800 pounds (up from 2,584 pounds)
27 City / 38 Hwy

Why is it when companies have a car with a DSG, then they make a sportier version they never include the DSG as an option? Or will the auto on the Veloster be an electronically controlled dsg that you can set to manual mode?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah, the Veloster's auto would have to be the DSG.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Hey, nice 1-series coupe.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://twitter.com/!/tomwookieford/statuses/156383012475502592

"So BMW will again offer a manual M5 for North America. But last time the catch was that you couldn't turn the traction control off... HA!"

AGAIN?!

There is no :psyduck: big enough.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/!/harrismonkey/statuses/156433202544783360

"chris harris
US to get 6-speed manual option for F10 M5. Only market to get it. Despite being ardently pro-stick, DSG suits it so well I'm not jealous."

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 9, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, the Veloster's auto would have to be the DSG.

Okay well then I have a problem with either press releases or just people on forums referring to any sort of DSG/DCT/whatever as just an automatic because it's a pretty different transmission. At least until DSG's are so industry-standard that there are no longer traditional slushboxes.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the new Integra is out too.

Looks pretty good, but the mags are mostly panning the new Civic's driving dynamics.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Is that officially an Integra? It's called the ILX concept on Acura's website. Those door handles look really awkward to me. Something about how low on the door and close together they are due to the weird body lines.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

mod sassinator posted:

That shot looks like the horrible offspring of a drunken affair between an RX8 and a Volt. :laugh:

It looks like someone took a red Miata and tried to hammer it into a 1 series.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Looks pretty good, but the mags are mostly panning the new Civic's driving dynamics.

Cool looks like that'll be our next Civic.

Not too worried about the driving manners, bet it'll be fixed by the time it hits here anyway.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

BoostCreep posted:

Is that officially an Integra? It's called the ILX concept on Acura's website. Those door handles look really awkward to me. Something about how low on the door and close together they are due to the weird body lines.
Those handles are probably waist high already.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Powershift posted:

Speaking of boring family sedans.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/2013-ford-fusion-debuts-along-with-47-mpg-fusion-hybrid-100-mpg/

New fusion/mondeo. It even has a 2 liter ecoboost/awd option.

I am buying the crap out of this car as soon as it is available. My wife wants to get rid of her Explorer and wants my Mazda 6. I like the 6 but I want something with a bit more room, a bit more power, and more tech options. This with a 2.0 eco-boost will fit the bill absolutely perfectly. The only thing I'd prefer more

This article makes me want it even more. Sounds like Ford hit a home run with this one.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1201_2013_ford_fusion/index.html

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 10, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Quarter panels shamelessly lifted from a Dodge Avenger.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Quarter panels shamelessly lifted from a Dodge Avenger.

And wheels from a Kia

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

Hey, nice 1-series coupe.

Exactly, that's why I like it :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

leica posted:

Exactly, that's why I like it :)

rscott said the roofline looked like a 1st gen Neon coupe. That's why I like it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

The current TSX should have looked like this.

And from what I understand, this thing is replacing the TSX.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That front overhang is killing me, but that's one of my bigger complaints about most cars' styling.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Speaking of Acura, the 2013 Acura RDX will drop its turbo four in favor of a V6.

Autoblog posted:

With a generational switch comes big changes, and the biggest for the new RDX is Acura's decision to buck the industry trend and drop its turbocharged four-cylinder engine in favor of Honda's venerable 3.5-liter V6. Horsepower will jump from 240 to 273, and despite the addition of two more cylinders to feed, fuel economy will also increase significantly. The best the current RDX can muster is an EPA-rated 19 miles per gallon in the city and 24 highway, while the V6-powered 2013 model is projected to achieve 20 city and 28 highway. Aiding that new-found efficiency is a six-speed automatic transmission (one more gear than before) with a lock-up torque converter.
Honda is pretty far behind the times if they're just now putting a six speed auto into front wheel drive cars. It's an option on the Odyssey, and you have to get the top trim level to get it. And why is it noteworthy that this "new" transmission has a locking converter? That hasn't been a thing to tout for, what, almost thirty years? Or is that just Autoblog running out of things to say?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
2013 Honda Accord Coupe concept.
http://automobiles.honda.com/2013-accord/

I guess every car is gonna have led running lights now.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If you removed the Honda badge and told me it was the new Solara, then you would have fooled me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Left Ventricle posted:

Speaking of Acura, the 2013 Acura RDX will drop its turbo four in favor of a V6.

Honda is pretty far behind the times if they're just now putting a six speed auto into front wheel drive cars. It's an option on the Odyssey, and you have to get the top trim level to get it. And why is it noteworthy that this "new" transmission has a locking converter? That hasn't been a thing to tout for, what, almost thirty years? Or is that just Autoblog running out of things to say?

Hondas don't seem to be any worse for it. Considering all the problems GM and Ford have had with their 6 speeds. Most people don't even like the way 6+ speeds hunt for gears anyway.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Uncrate just put up a post about the new NSX, this time with a picture. Looks pretty great in my opinion.

Uncrate's words:

"It's not too often we get to say this, but if they don't build this, they're crazy. The Acura NSX Concept ($TBA) revives one of the world's best-known supercar monikers in style, with a rear-mounted V6 powerplant that's helped along by an electric motor, all-wheel-drive, the ability to apply positive or negative torque to the front wheels during cornering, a dual-clutch transmission, and lust-worthy looks. Oh, and about that "crazy" bit — the production version should arrive in within the next three years, and if that wasn't enough, they're building it in Uncrate's home state of OH."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
AWD in anything and everything.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
A list of things I like about AWD in sports cars:

- Getting unstuck in snowy conditions
-

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Throatwarbler posted:

Hondas don't seem to be any worse for it. Considering all the problems GM and Ford have had with their 6 speeds. Most people don't even like the way 6+ speeds hunt for gears anyway.
I guess I was too subtle with the point I was trying to make. There's been something of an arms race as of late with regards to how many ratios you can cram into an autobox. Honda is lagging in that regard.

My bolding of the locking torque converter part still stands though. Why is that something that deserves mention?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Left Ventricle posted:

I guess I was too subtle with the point I was trying to make. There's been something of an arms race as of late with regards to how many ratios you can cram into an autobox. Honda is lagging in that regard.

My bolding of the locking torque converter part still stands though. Why is that something that deserves mention?

They've expressly said that they don't see any advantage in participating. Honda products are competetive in performance and fuel economy. The Malibu and Fusion still get worse FE than the Accord despite having more gears.

The torque converter thing might be them just making it clear that it was a conventional auto and not a dual clutch.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The EcoBoost Mustang has been confirmed!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-c...r+and+Driver%29

It looks like they are predicting the four cylinder variant to make it into the 'Stang. But I am really hoping to see a boosted six added to the lineup as well. With the GT gaining so much power, there may be a place for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

The EcoBoost Mustang has been confirmed!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-c...r+and+Driver%29

It looks like they are predicting the four cylinder variant to make it into the 'Stang. But I am really hoping to see a boosted six added to the lineup as well. With the GT gaining so much power, there may be a place for it.

drat, I was hoping for the EcoBoost V6 too. Or is that getting a bit too close to the GT power-wise? I don't know why they thought, "well, you know, after finally making the V6 decent, we should really introduce an underpowered Mustang to replace the hole that left!"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ecoboost 4 at 275hp

NA 6 at 300hp

Ecoboost 6 at 350hp

5.0 at 400+

Shelby at 650+

That's a lineup that can work, and I think you'd have customers for all 5. Turbos in a Mustang are going to gently caress with insurance enough to keep the NA 6 still viable IMO.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VikingSkull posted:

Ecoboost 4 at 275hp

NA 6 at 300hp

Ecoboost 6 at 350hp

5.0 at 400+

Shelby at 650+

That's a lineup that can work, and I think you'd have customers for all 5. Turbos in a Mustang are going to gently caress with insurance enough to keep the NA 6 still viable IMO.

Forgive me for possibly being ignorant, but..,why would a turbo 4/6 cost more to insure than an NA 6/8 with more power in each case?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking at the genesis coupe, i would think ford will most likely match them shot for shot with a 275hp i4 and 350hp v6 with the 5.0 getting bumped to 450hp.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

Forgive me for possibly being ignorant, but..,why would a turbo 4/6 cost more to insure than an NA 6/8 with more power in each case?

I think he's probably using the same logic that claims "911s still keep back seats because four seaters are cheaper to insure!"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

Insurance companies love to jack up rates for any reason at all. It's not like a turbo Mustang will be considered a commuter car, it's a sports coupe with a snail.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think he's probably using the same logic that claims "911s still keep back seats because four seaters are cheaper to insure!"

Nothing about the seats, honestly. I'm sure there's a difference in quotes between a base 911, and a GT3, and insurance companies aren't dumb. It's 2012, they know who'd buy a turbo 4 over the NA 6. Look at the reactions here.....lighter weight and power gains are easy as poo poo. Besides, Porsche owners tend to skew older than Mustang owners. That factors in.

e- maybe if they add AWD....

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 11, 2012

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Dracon Wolf posted:

I am buying the crap out of this car as soon as it is available. My wife wants to get rid of her Explorer and wants my Mazda 6. I like the 6 but I want something with a bit more room, a bit more power, and more tech options. This with a 2.0 eco-boost will fit the bill absolutely perfectly.
Really does look good. Even the hybrid model looks pretty drat impressive at 47city/44highway - thats almost prius numbers in a much better looking and, I'm sure, driving car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Nothing about the seats, honestly. I'm sure there's a difference in quotes between a base 911, and a GT3, and insurance companies aren't dumb. It's 2012, they know who'd buy a turbo 4 over the NA 6. Look at the reactions here.....lighter weight and power gains are easy as poo poo. Besides, Porsche owners tend to skew older than Mustang owners. That factors in.

Clearly they know nothing of Mustang drivers. I've had people say I should've bought a used pre-2011 GT instead of a 2011 V6, despite almost identical horsepower and way, way better fuel consumption numbers, and all the other upgrades made to the 2011 Mustangs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you wanted to do a bunch of mods, that's a good call since the aftermarket for the V8 is so extensive

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you wanted to do a bunch of mods, that's a good call since the aftermarket for the V8 is so extensive

I didn't, though.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Left Ventricle posted:

Doesn't Honda still use their own version of an auto transmission that's different fom everyone else's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Dracon Wolf posted:

I am buying the crap out of this car as soon as it is available. My wife wants to get rid of her Explorer and wants my Mazda 6. I like the 6 but I want something with a bit more room, a bit more power, and more tech options. This with a 2.0 eco-boost will fit the bill absolutely perfectly. The only thing I'd prefer more

This article makes me want it even more. Sounds like Ford hit a home run with this one.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1201_2013_ford_fusion/index.html
I put about 300 miles on a rental Fusion earlier this week, and was quite impressed with the car. Had good power and handled way nicer than I was expecting. I was tossing it into the twisties by the 2nd day with cofidence; even stopped dead at one point to get some open road between the truck in front of me, which is not something I often do with cars like this. If I were to buy a 4-seat family car right now... I'd buy a Shelby GT500. No matter how much they improve it, a Fusion is still a boring fwd family sedan.