Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Robolizard! posted:

stop idiot

Way to be a douche yourself. :v: I was done.

In actual talk I see that Valentines damage is still super low in the FF vids. Is that because her damage still hasn't been done yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I

Dias posted:

An adaptive AI would be great, one that learns from what you've done and works with that. How hard would it be, realistically, to program the AI to read a crossup kick as a plain jump kick and have it guess which way to block, then add the info into its "database" and make it more biased towards defending a crossup next time?

There was a study relating to adaptive AI in fighting games a few years back that theorized how it would be applied and built a (very simple) model scenario. You can read it here, it's somewhat math intensive: http://cs229.stanford.edu/proj2008/RicciardiThill-AdaptiveAIForFightingGames.pdf

Fighting games are probably a long way off from getting a system like that running, if it's even feasible in a fully complex game. But it's a nice idea, I think, and worth pursuing - just maybe not within the budget that modern fighting games get.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I will say one more thing about the trashy objectifying character designs. I applaud the idea of male characters with "swinging junk physics", any word on if it's being limited to DLC?

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

I will say one more thing about the trashy objectifying character designs. I applaud the idea of male characters with "swinging junk physics", any word on if it's being limited to DLC?

bahbut wait if the problem is you'd be ashamed to play this game in front of people why do you applaud- I don't know. This sort of discussion is what we have that Minority Perspectives thread for, so take it over there.
What I am wondering re: character design is this guy with a tankfist I hear so much about but have never seen. What's the deal with him?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's a concept art design that lots of people liked so they said "yeah okay we'll make him playable"

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Big Band is cooler. I saw him in the background on that video of the Grand FInals, does that mean he will be early DLC? :allears:

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

They seem a little, uh, tall and masculine to be PLAYABLE characters. Bosses maybe?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

They seem a little, uh, tall and masculine to be PLAYABLE characters. Bosses maybe?

They said there won't be boss characters that aren't playable. So you'll be able to control their glorious junk-swinging selves eventually.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Dias posted:

Yeah, I was gonna answer the post but it would perpetuate a derail I didn't really intend to start. All I'll say is that all FGs have frankly embarassing characters, but that you'll not be thought of as a sexual deviant if you play any of them, and SG is not any different. I mean, my friends love MK9 and that poo poo is TnA as all hell. But if it bothers you, oh well.

Just don't keep this argument going, for the sake of the thread.

To be fair, most games wouldn't add a stripy panties palette to a character at the behest of a very vocal fan. I mean the accusations of "pandering" are quite verifiably true in this case.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

From what I'm reading now, the only "confirmed" confirmed DLC characters are Umbrella and Squiggly, but the fan outcry for Big Band and Panzerfaust has been huge so they'll probably happen.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Sade posted:

From what I'm reading now, the only "confirmed" confirmed DLC characters are Umbrella and Squiggly, but the fan outcry for Big Band and Panzerfaust has been huge so they'll probably happen.

When that day comes they will have no choice but to rename the game Skullpersons.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

When that day comes they will have no choice but to rename the game Skullpersons.

They'd rather be called Calvaria-Americans, okay?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

The characters aren't the Skullgirls. The Skullgirl is a unique character ingame, expected to be the boss more than likely. It's a storyline thing, like how Street Fighter has professional wrestlers and assassins as well.

There's an item called the "Skull Heart" and only a female can make a wish on it. If their heart is pure, the wish comes true. If their heart is not pure, it gets monkey pawed into a twisted rendition and the wisher is transformed into the Skullgirl, a terrible monster.

So far, there is a character who is permanently 12 years old (her mother wished she could live forever), two countries at a ceasefire after the bloodiest war imaginable (the queen of one country, Parasoul's mother, wished for peace in the land), and another character who is an undead monster (their lover wished them back to life). In each case, the wisher was transformed into a Skullgirl.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Broken Loose posted:

So far, there is a character who is permanently 12 years old (her mother wished she could live forever)

and another character who is an undead monster (their lover wished them back to life).

Are these Bloody Marie and Double, or someone else we haven't heard of yet?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I'd imagine the last one is Squigglie.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

The immortal one is Annie, no? Is she future DLC?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Broken Loose posted:

The characters aren't the Skullgirls. The Skullgirl is a unique character ingame, expected to be the boss more than likely. It's a storyline thing, like how Street Fighter has professional wrestlers and assassins as well.

There's an item called the "Skull Heart" and only a female can make a wish on it. If their heart is pure, the wish comes true. If their heart is not pure, it gets monkey pawed into a twisted rendition and the wisher is transformed into the Skullgirl, a terrible monster.

So far, there is a character who is permanently 12 years old (her mother wished she could live forever), two countries at a ceasefire after the bloodiest war imaginable (the queen of one country, Parasoul's mother, wished for peace in the land), and another character who is an undead monster (their lover wished them back to life). In each case, the wisher was transformed into a Skullgirl.

They're really pushing hard for the tweenage Tim Burton market with this story, huh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I've changed the topic to make this clear.

Note that nobody in this thread is making posts like, "OH poo poo HOW HOT UNNNGH."

Everybody who regularly posts in this thread is talking about fighting games. They talk about how Skullgirls will play as a fighting game. They talk about fighting game balance and design. They talk about tournament structure and the impact Skullgirls gameplay might have on the development of the genre. They are fans of this game because they think it'll play better than anything else on the market.

See the theme here? It is all loving gameplay discussion.

The thread does not need to be derailed. It has been derailed repeatedly, to the point that nothing new is being said and nobody reading the thread could possibly remain unaware of any possible issue.

Let the thread talk about the game.

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 9, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Broken Loose posted:

So, does this mean there will be no male characters in the game? I thought the Major Maxim looking fella looked pretty cool. It seems limiting for the game to have a story that only involves female characters. General McUbermench could have a part in the story too, even if as a multiplayer-only character. He could be slow and have a one bar super or something gimmicky and hard to pull off air-combos.

Sorry if this counts as a derail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The male characters are concepts for possible future DLC. So yeah, they'll be playable if they make it into the game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

uncleKitchener posted:

So, does this mean there will be no male characters in the game? I thought the Major Maxim looking fella looked pretty cool. It seems limiting for the game to have a story that only involves female characters. General McUbermench could have a part in the story too, even if as a multiplayer-only character. He could be slow and have a one bar super or something gimmicky and hard to pull off air-combos.

I believe there's an Anti-Skullgirl force in the game who are trying to both stop the current Skullgirl and any future ones, which likely involves beating up everyone who want the Skull Heart, beating up the Skullgirl herself, and then locking the Skull Heart in a box somewhere. The guys probably either work for that group, for Parasoul's family, or some other random group/woman/

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

The Hater posted:

Who is everone's favorite skullgirl? Mine is Peacock

Mine has to be Parasoul (though Im terrible at charge characters like chun li and Guile, I will try to use her.)

my second pick is most certainly tied between peacock and Ms Fortune, both of whom have great movesets and I like the character designs.

I really want to try out painwheel, she seems kinda straight forward, but who knows, plus Im pretty much a rush down player, so she seems to lean toward my playstyle.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Can't say I care for the story at all as long as there is diversity and Ubermench makes it into the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

uncleKitchener posted:

There is male DLC planned down the line. The goal is to have the gender proportions of other fighters, but reversed with men as the minority. The guys in my post on page 1 are near the front of the line.

aversion
Mar 4, 2004

fighting visual crime
I have not played a fighting game since Street Fighter 2 on the SNES but the overall creative aesthetic of this game is so breath taking I wish I could play it just to see the loading screens, cut scenes, character selection screens etc. There's just something about the idea of an art-deco golden age of animation beat'em up that is so utterly overwhelming brilliant.

I hope the game it's self is worthy of the effort that's gone in to the style and that folk can stop getting their knickers in a twist and appreciate just how amazing it is that a game in this genre with this kind of aesthetic even exists at all.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

There is male DLC planned down the line. The goal is to have the gender proportions of other fighters, but reversed with men as the minority. The guys in my post on page 1 are near the front of the line.

I haven't seen it asked yet, but is there any news on how DLC might be structured? Like, will the characters be released in two-or-more character packs or individually? I'll still buy them regardless, but it'd be cool to know if they had a battle plan going into it.

Since I haven't chimed in on the "Who's your favorite" discussion yet, my team of choice is looking like it's going to be Valentine and Peacock. These videos posted earlier show that Valentine looks pretty drat fun to play. Peacock needs to real explanation. Not sure how well they synergize as a team, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. No use thinking too far ahead.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

Since I haven't chimed in on the "Who's your favorite" discussion yet, my team of choice is looking like it's going to be Valentine and Peacock. These videos posted earlier show that Valentine looks pretty drat fun to play. Peacock needs to real explanation. Not sure how well they synergize as a team, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. No use thinking too far ahead.

I have actually played this team a lot. One nasty setup is that valentine's s.HK chain (the IV attack) puts them into a sliding knockdown. Then, you can call peacock's bomb car assist, dash up, and you're basically set up for a really hard to read crossup. Plus, you can mix that up with her throw, which crumples them setting up a free combo. <3 valentine.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

I have actually played this team a lot. One nasty setup is that valentine's s.HK chain (the IV attack) puts them into a sliding knockdown. Then, you can call peacock's bomb car assist, dash up, and you're basically set up for a really hard to read crossup. Plus, you can mix that up with her throw, which crumples them setting up a free combo. <3 valentine.

Well gently caress, and here I thought I was going away from the popular builds by not picking Cerebella. Oh well, hahaha. Does Valentine have any supers besides her Dio Brando one? Not that it matters that much - a well aimed super that has most of the scalpels hit looks pretty beastly.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Jmcrofts posted:

Does her normal throw crumples or is that a command throw?

Speaking of throws, is Cerebella's super throw avoidable after the flash?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

Well gently caress, and here I thought I was going away from the popular builds by not picking Cerebella. Oh well, hahaha. Does Valentine have any supers besides her Dio Brando one? Not that it matters that much - a well aimed super that has most of the scalpels hit looks pretty beastly.

Valentine has 2 more supers (a lv1 and a lv3) that are still being tweaked and haven't been in public builds yet.

quote:

Does her normal throw crumples or is that a command throw?

Speaking of throws, is Cerebella's super throw avoidable after the flash?

Her normal throw crumples. Also her air throw does not.

Cerebella's 360 super cannot be jumped out of after the flash, but it does have a few frames of startup before the flash.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Jmcrofts posted:

Valentine has 2 more supers (a lv1 and a lv3) that are still being tweaked and haven't been in public builds yet.

I think the defib super was in at SoCal Regionals but it might not have worked?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Nerokerubina posted:

I think the defib super was in at SoCal Regionals but it might not have worked?

The defibrillator is actually her snapback.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaa Boogie posted:

The defibrillator is actually her snapback.

She also has a defib super, but yeah in all the builds it's been usable it didn't do anything. Kind of like her poison needle move.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Really looking forward to this game, I really love the art style and the animation of the characters, backgrounds etc. I'd say that I'm about average at fighting games and I'll most likely use Peacock and Cerebella.

One observation about Cerebella though is that her command grab super looks stupidly good. It seems to do the same amount of damage as her Lv. 3, fairly good range for a command grab and it has invincible start up (don't know if this one is true but from gameplay videos it seems to be the case). I realise what I've more or less desricbed is "command grab supers" in general but Cerebella's just seems too good, especially for one meter.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Shogunate posted:

One observation about Cerebella though is that her command grab super looks stupidly good. It seems to do the same amount of damage as her Lv. 3, fairly good range for a command grab and it has invincible start up (don't know if this one is true but from gameplay videos it seems to be the case). I realise what I've more or less desricbed is "command grab supers" in general but Cerebella's just seems too good, especially for one meter.

I mean, you also just described Thor's command grab super in Marvel 3. It's a good move but if it gets baited it's hecka unsafe and it's most effective if you're player her solo, but solo Cerebella basically can't beat Peacock or Parasoul (or even Painwheel really).

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

rocket USA posted:

I mean, you also just described Thor's command grab super in Marvel 3. It's a good move but if it gets baited it's hecka unsafe and it's most effective if you're player her solo, but solo Cerebella basically can't beat Peacock or Parasoul (or even Painwheel really).

I wouldn't compare it to Thor's command grab super because the range on this one is really really *really* good. But yeah, it can be baited. Even more so than other command grab supers since the range and damage make it so inviting to do.

I would either walk away from her and spam projectiles. Or walk toward her with a finger hovering above the up button.

I'm not sure if this was posted yet, but here is a 23 minutes long video for your pleasures:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/08/friday-night-skullgirls-scr-2011-skullgirls-grand-finals-copperdabbit-vs-shinatproof/

Count the "Here. We. Go"s.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

rocket USA posted:

That seems par for the course with a lot of fighting games. If I'm not mistaken, grapplers in general are usually strongest early on; I remember Zangief being considered one of the top four characters in Street Fighter 4 when it first came out. Once people become more familiar with the game and the characters, grapplers become less of a dominating force. Cerebella looks like she has enough tools that she won't see as sharp a decline as grapplers usually do (at least from what I've observed with Gief and T. Hawk during SF4/Super, respectively), but at least her command grab super won't be as threatening once people start to learn how to deal with it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Here, have some more replays from the SoCal Regionals Skullgirls tournament:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/725578
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/725576

The players are still quite new to the game, but they're not bad at all.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

You're tearing us apart! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008
Anyone know if there's going to be an online training mode?

• Locked thread