Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Relambrien posted:

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it? For example, if you input a command during the last five frames of recovery, have it come out on the first frame afterward. That turns a one-frame link into a five-frame link.

Doesn't Blazblue do something like this? Or am I totally wrong?

Yes an input buffer would make one-frame links easier. However there would be no point, since links (besides stuff like post-launcher and post-dash cancel juggles) are basically irrelevant in games with a magic series combo system. So anyway, 1-frame links technically will exist but there's no point in using them since you can combo so easily with chains and all links will really do is make you trigger IPS faster.

Brother Entropy posted:

Any word on how double snapbacks will work? With all the inspiration from MvC2 should we be expecting launcher infinites?

Double snaps snap out both characters. If you kill a character while still comboing an assist, you can infinitely combo the assist however they'll drop out if you trigger IPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

all links will really do is make you trigger IPS faster.

How so?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
While watching the GT videos I suddenly realized Ms. Fortune's sword is actually her (detachable) tail. The details in this game are awesome, you can pause at pretty much any time and have something worthy of a screenshot.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 10, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

How so?

Because IPS triggers at the start of combo sections. If you do a link, you are ending one section and starting another so you're basically having to use up more of your normals so you can't do your combo as long.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Relambrien posted:

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it?

It actually doesn't anyway, because inputting something TOO fast can be wrong as well! It does largely eliminate them though, because most hard links do require you to hit the button as soon as it is possible to do so.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It actually doesn't anyway, because inputting something TOO fast can be wrong as well! It does largely eliminate them though, because most hard links do require you to hit the button as soon as it is possible to do so.

Yeah I was considering mentioning that when you need to wait between hits to continue the combo later (I play Litchi in BB, so this is painfully familiar to me), an input buffer wouldn't do anything. I figure that's outside the realm of what links are usually considered though, particularly in games like SF4.

But at that point it's really just semantics, so oh well. Thanks for the responses all.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I really hope IPS gets toned down a bit because seeing it triggered at 1:53 of this video: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/socal-regionals-skullgirls/725576 seems way, way too early.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You're asking the wrong question here. As long as fighting games rely on the dual conventions of startup/active/recovery frames and hitstun/blockstun (bundled together into the overarching concept of frame advantage), links will exist, including and especially one frame links. What you should be asking is what kind of importance the game system puts on links versus chains or other cancels.

Fair enough, I guess what I was really fishing for is will this game play more like SF4 or Marvel with its combo system. When I think of SF4, and the glass ceiling that I hit it was due to one frame links.

It seems with what the others have answered though, that this will play more like Marvel which was what I was hoping for.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

I really hope IPS gets toned down a bit because seeing it triggered at 1:53 of this video: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/socal-regionals-skullgirls/725576 seems way, way too early.

IPS isn't based on length of a combo, as Jmcrofts explained earlier its based on what attacks you use to 'start' a new combo section. If you've already used the move before, the IPS will kick in to prevent a loop. Its more complicated than that but the key point there is its based on what moves you're using, not combo length.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Van Ishikawa posted:

IPS isn't based on length of a combo, as Jmcrofts explained earlier its based on what attacks you use to 'start' a new combo section. If you've already used the move before, the IPS will kick in to prevent a loop. Its more complicated than that but the key point there is its based on what moves you're using, not combo length.

Well if that's the case then IPS seems like a really dumb crutch for the game engine, especially if it's kicking in on the first instance of move repetition.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I thought it was keeping track of series of moves, e.g. if you link lk into mk you can't do it again or it'll trigger IPS.

Although come to think of it that's at least 36 permutations anyway so you'd still eventually get kill combos or something.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I thought it was keeping track of series of moves, e.g. if you link lk into mk you can't do it again or it'll trigger IPS.

That would end a whole lot more quickly and be a massive pain in the rear end that would probably force you to learn really unnatural and unintuitive ways of extending combos. Not to mention how weird it would be to have that and magic series in the same game.

EDIT: I'm bad at reading, link != cancel.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 11, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CubsWoo posted:

Well if that's the case then IPS seems like a really dumb crutch for the game engine, especially if it's kicking in on the first instance of move repetition.

There are "free" sections to the IPS. Your first jump-in is free (the game records no moves and never triggers IPS), your first ground combo is free, and your first post-launch air combo is discounted (the game records inputs but never triggers IPS). Every time you link, you start a new section.

So the combo he did was

(I missed a hit just before the launcher on further watching)

He could have avoided triggering IPS by simply starting that last chain with LP or LK. Ironically, it would also have made for a longer combo. If anything, it highlights the discussion earlier of "links are possible ingame but would brutalize your combos within the confines of IPS."

edit: Watch the combo done by him just previous. It's similar, but instead of starting the second air chain with MP it's started with LP that chains into MP. Thus, it doesn't trigger burst.

edit 2: okay wait wait there's something that went wrong there, this is weird

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 11, 2012

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The ambiguity of the system (as you said, 'this is weird', those two combos both looked the same in terms of IPS but one triggered it and one didn't) is really concerning, because IPS triggering is a pretty big punish on the attacking character (combo break, full screen knockback, complete elimination of aggressive pressure) and if it's triggering improperly it needs to be top on the priority list for fixes or it needs to be an optional feature.

Does the tutorial have a big section on IPS?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Archenteron posted:

I believe there's an Anti-Skullgirl force in the game who are trying to both stop the current Skullgirl and any future ones, which likely involves beating up everyone who want the Skull Heart, beating up the Skullgirl herself, and then locking the Skull Heart in a box somewhere. The guys probably either work for that group, for Parasoul's family, or some other random group/woman/

What if some buff dude wanted to live forever and figured if he could beat everyone for the skullheart, he'd just need to get a nice female friend to wish it for him? That'd be a viable story in the game right? Or a daughter or something - "Honey hold this and state how much you want Daddy to live forever." Unless that is already the origin story of one of the characters.

I for one am amazed at how amazing the visuals look in this game. I mean I know this is a gameplay thread - I am rubbish at fighting games short of Mortal Kombat - but the character animations are brilliant. Seen a couple of 2D fighting games come out in the last year or two that boasted 'amazing 2d visuals' but this is the first one I have seen really deliver. I might end up buying it in an effort to get better at fighting games.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CubsWoo posted:

The ambiguity of the system (as you said, 'this is weird', those two combos both looked the same in terms of IPS but one triggered it and one didn't) is really concerning, because IPS triggering is a pretty big punish on the attacking character (combo break, full screen knockback, complete elimination of aggressive pressure) and if it's triggering improperly it needs to be top on the priority list for fixes or it needs to be an optional feature.

The system is not ambiguous at all; in fact, that was one of the stated goals of the Skullgirls combo system and IPS in general. I'm talking with Mike right now, and it apparently looks like Cerecopter lifted the opponent and counted as a miniature air combo section. It's not fixable, but it's definitely preventable and predictable by the players. I'll have a more definite explanation for you in a bit.

edit:

Mike Z posted:

hahah, that might be one of those situations I won't be able to fix - the first aircombo your airdash is free, which is why the first one works. The second time, Cerecopter puts her in the air before Filia hits with the launch, so it looks like that counts as the "air combo" and the launch followup is the 2nd one

yeah, so - Cerecopter puts them in the air, your ground chain since it's a juggle is your first 'air combo' then you jump which is a neutral state and that puts you into your 2nd aircombo

easier with the devil horns assist rather than copter, but if you don't launch and just jump into the combo then it's your first aircombo so it's okay, but if you launch then it's your 2nd

the problem is if I fix any of the conditions then it opens up a subcategory of infinites that you can do. I have a whole doc with proofs and counterexamples, lol. The only possible thing would be having assists not count...but the thing is that it isn't the assist, it would work the same way if you had a move that popped them up that you then linked off of and launched from.

It's just weird looking in this instance because they aren't airborne for very long.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 11, 2012

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

animaCartographer posted:

Mine has to be Parasoul (though Im terrible at charge characters like chun li and Guile, I will try to use her.)

my second pick is most certainly tied between peacock and Ms Fortune, both of whom have great movesets and I like the character designs.

I really want to try out painwheel, she seems kinda straight forward, but who knows, plus Im pretty much a rush down player, so she seems to lean toward my playstyle.

Wait parasoul is charge? This game is now through the roof for me, all about them charge characters.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Wait parasoul is charge? This game is now through the roof for me, all about them charge characters.
Yes. http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls/Parasoul

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls for the main page of the SRK Skullgirls wiki which has a ton of info already because it's being filled out by someone working on the game (I think, someone correct me if wrong!)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think the guy updating it is working in some way on the game because he's already got all the data for Valentine ready to go. Plus how else did he get the exact damage numbers for the game already?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Liar Lyre posted:

I think the guy updating it is working in some way on the game because he's already got all the data for Valentine ready to go. Plus how else did he get the exact damage numbers for the game already?

The stuff for Valentine is just placeholders, though. There's no way all of her attacks are going to deal 100 damage each. :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Where does SG fall on the execution scale; MvC3 being 1 and KoF13 being 10?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Zaa Boogie posted:

The stuff for Valentine is just placeholders, though. There's no way all of her attacks are going to deal 100 damage each. :v:
I know. I'm saying that he said on SRK that he's got all the info right now, probably in a text file somewhere, ready to go at the push of a button. The community is on top of things.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

scuz posted:

Where does SG fall on the execution scale; MvC3 being 1 and KoF13 being 10?

From what I've seen and read on the Wiki, my best guess is somewhere between SF4 and MvC3, leaning pretty closely to MvC3. The game has its own magic series combo and most special moves and super combos are very simple to execute; most are QCF or QCB moves with a few Shoryukens, charge moves and only one 360 - currently, there's not a single character with a half-circle move. However, the game does have a full 6-button layout like SF4, so that makes things slightly more complicated. Not by much, though.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Jetpack Postman posted:

To be fair, in Smash Bros. the stages actually DO something so it makes sense for "balance" reasons to allow them to be opted out of.

Right, but the training stage in this game is an eyesore, just like the training stage in every other fighter. It also makes me think of the final boss stage in KOF XIII, which I'm pretty sure has already been banned in tournament play. You literally can't see certain projectiles when playing in that stage, much like the night Helicarrier stage in Marvel 3. Just saying, I'm sure everyone would appreciate that as a feature.

[/getting mad about stage select:saddowns:]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, gently caress you, the training stage in BBCS is nice.

Also, is it possible to turn off the "if both players pick one solo character, the game turns into best 2 out of 3" feature?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bovineicide posted:

Right, but the training stage in this game is an eyesore, just like the training stage in every other fighter. It also makes me think of the final boss stage in KOF XIII, which I'm pretty sure has already been banned in tournament play. You literally can't see certain projectiles when playing in that stage, much like the night Helicarrier stage in Marvel 3. Just saying, I'm sure everyone would appreciate that as a feature.

The pure-white stage in KOF13 is tournament banned? Not that I dont think it deserves it or anything, but does this mean you cant use random stage select?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Gutcruncher posted:

The pure-white stage in KOF13 is tournament banned? Not that I dont think it deserves it or anything, but does this mean you cant use random stage select?

I think if it comes up on random select, you pause and choose restart. First talk I heard about it was on the NEC stream, for what it's worth. Why the hell they made that even selectable, I don't know.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bovineicide posted:

I think if it comes up on random select, you pause and choose restart. First talk I heard about it was on the NEC stream, for what it's worth. Why the hell they made that even selectable, I don't know.

IIRC Guilty Gear XXs final boss stage was some ridiculous motion sickness creating confusing to look at floorless piece of poo poo, but they had the sense to make it not come up in random select. Would that have been so hard, SNK?!

Zebco
Nov 1, 2009

Eat. Sleep. Folk.
My favorite Skullgirl is overly sexualized and drawn in a unique pseudo-anime style all its own

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gutcruncher posted:

IIRC Guilty Gear XXs final boss stage was some ridiculous motion sickness creating confusing to look at floorless piece of poo poo, but they had the sense to make it not come up in random select. Would that have been so hard, SNK?!

The reason it's banned is because of colorblind people and not being able to judge corners easily. The final boss stage in GG is terrible if you're the least bit colorblind haha. There's more to it than being ugly and floorless.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

The backgrounds in Skullgirls are all sketchy and painterly at this point in the development, and I kind of almost hope they keep it that way. Some fighting games just have really friggin' visually noisy backgrounds and it gets hard to follow the action.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure they look that way by design, not because they're a work in progress. At least I'm hoping that's the case, because they do look nice but not too obtrusive.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Endorph posted:

Hey, gently caress you, the training stage in BBCS is nice.

This is actually a pretty terrible example since you can't tell where the walls are until the screen stops scrolling, which makes it pretty awful to play on.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

The backgrounds in Skullgirls are all sketchy and painterly at this point in the development, and I kind of almost hope they keep it that way. Some fighting games just have really friggin' visually noisy backgrounds and it gets hard to follow the action.

I've heard (don't quote me on this) they got Tyson Hesse to work on the backgrounds, if it's true I'm not worried at all because he does a drat good job on his backgrounds.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
My question is this: Is this game going to have a semi-decent training mode where it explains all the basics of 2D fighters and mechanics used and let you do some challenging combos later on? I loving hate training modes in Fighting games with the sole exception of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo.

I come from a 3D background so I don't know poo poo about 2D except basic stuff like Footsies and other bunch of random terms people throw around in commentaries.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

uncleKitchener posted:

My question is this: Is this game going to have a semi-decent training mode where it explains all the basics of 2D fighters and mechanics used and let you do some challenging combos later on? I loving hate training modes in Fighting games with the sole exception of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo.

I come from a 3D background so I don't know poo poo about 2D except basic stuff like Footsies and other bunch of random terms people throw around in commentaries.
That's a major selling point. The game's gonna teach you how to block a mixup and perform a mixup.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

Might I refer you to this post on the first page.

quote:

It will teach you how to play.

Unlike some other recent fighters, rather than make you go through obscure challenge modes filled with slot machines or outright give you a mode that lets you mash, Skullgirls will have a comprehensive Tutorial Mode. It'll teach you how to block, what a mixup is, what cancels are, the works. It also has a practice room designed to assist your learning of the game as much as possible.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Waterbed posted:

The reason it's banned is because of colorblind people and not being able to judge corners easily. The final boss stage in GG is terrible if you're the least bit colorblind haha. There's more to it than being ugly and floorless.

It does give you motion sickness on top of it too if you are sensitive to that kind of thing. I'm also colorblind so if that wasn't bad enough now I've got this stage that makes me dizzy. I remember playing Zeipher in #r and he picked it and I freaked out because like 30 seconds into the first round I just couldn't play anymore.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Jetpack Postman posted:

From what I've seen and read on the Wiki, my best guess is somewhere between SF4 and MvC3, leaning pretty closely to MvC3. The game has its own magic series combo and most special moves and super combos are very simple to execute; most are QCF or QCB moves with a few Shoryukens, charge moves and only one 360 - currently, there's not a single character with a half-circle move. However, the game does have a full 6-button layout like SF4, so that makes things slightly more complicated. Not by much, though.
This is awesome to hear. My execution is quite bad if the results of going through trials in SF4 are any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I was under the impression that this game was gonna be closer executionally to MvC2 than anything else, what with the tighter chains and whatnot.

• Locked thread