Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Saw this a few days ago; SunWing does not normally fly into Norfolk, nor do jets there typically get vsited by firetrucks. Anyone know what happened/what the story is? Medical emergency, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

grover posted:

Saw this a few days ago; SunWing does not normally fly into Norfolk, nor do jets there typically get vsited by firetrucks. Anyone know what happened/what the story is? Medical emergency, maybe?

The ambulance parked next to the wing suggests so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, I think he saw that. Besides, I think thats too big for an ambulance. Looks more like a fire rescue command post.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

co199 posted:

It might be one of the ones that's yet unconverted. Traditionally the 310 doesn't have the boom refueling system (the 330 does) so it might be a test platform, too.

The Airbus MRTT aircraft are built off the passenger versions, not the cargo versions in order to offer "mission flexibility". Even still, the A310 MRTT holds about the same amount of fuel as the KC-135, while the A330 MRTT holds a little more than 2/3s the amount the KC-10 carries.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Understeer posted:

The Airbus MRTT aircraft are built off the passenger versions, not the cargo versions in order to offer "mission flexibility". Even still, the A310 MRTT holds about the same amount of fuel as the KC-135, while the A330 MRTT holds a little more than 2/3s the amount the KC-10 carries.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I was only aware of the A330 MRTT because of the KC-X program. I have to admit my knowledge lies mostly with American air power, and even then mostly 80s-90s USN.

Speaking of naval aviation, have a Tomcat on the deck of the Truman (click for large):

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I think he saw that. Besides, I think thats too big for an ambulance. Looks more like a fire rescue command post.

It's a medium duty ambulance on a Freightliner chassis. Somewhat common, but hell to work out of. They ride as if there is no suspension at all in back.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
I just finished Bob Hoover's "Forever Flying" biography and gotta say, daaaaammn! I've always admired him for his skills and have gotten to see him a fly a few times, even shook his hand. After reading the book though I would love to take him to dinner and just listen to him tell stories of his life.

If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it. As a "pay it forward" kind of act, the first person to reply here saying they want it I will send it to you for free.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'd love to read it. As a matching good will gesture, I promise to send it out to the next interested goon after I read it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I'd love to read it. As a matching good will gesture, I promise to send it out to the next interested goon after I read it.

Can I take third? I'll send 'er out to the next reader who replies. :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

co199 posted:

Hmmm, that's interesting. I was only aware of the A330 MRTT because of the KC-X program. I have to admit my knowledge lies mostly with American air power, and even then mostly 80s-90s USN.

Speaking of naval aviation, have a Tomcat on the deck of the Truman (click for large):

That's pretty much f14.jpg / topgun.bmp

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Boomerjinks posted:

edit:
Also, I've had this little guy sitting on my nerdy knickknack shelf for fifteen years. I got it at Oskosh '97, when my CAP squadron was given the opportunity to ride a Wyoming air guard C-130 to the fly-in.

I was told it was an Avenger shell, and I bought it for like $6. Of course, I was 13 at the time, it now occurs to me that it probably isn't anything even closely related to an A-10 shell. You guys are really loving smart, I've been meaning to ask if you could me what it is?

The blue means it is some sort of inert TP round...as far as shape, distinguishing features, etc. it looks about right to be a PGU-15/B round (what it would be if it was A-10/GAU-8 TP) but that 2.5 cm would indicate that it is for a gun in 25mm, like someone in the TFR thread said, so that would be my professional assessment: 25mm TP, for the GAU-12 or Bushmaster cannon or the like. If I had some more experience with 25mm or 30mm I could probably give you a better answer, but my only personal experience is with the 20mm ammo for the Vulcan.

ApathyGifted posted:

I want to clean out the inside of that and use it for drinking.

It's pretty common for Ammo guys to cut the bottom off of 30mm cartridge casings, chrome them up or otherwise clean then up, and use them as shot glasses.

co199 posted:

It might be one of the ones that's yet unconverted. Traditionally the 310 doesn't have the boom refueling system (the 330 does) so it might be a test platform, too.

Yeah, given that it is an EADS marked aircraft refueling a French E-3 along with the fact that I am unaware of any operational A310 MRTT's that have a boom (although they are developing it), that's gotta be an EADS test platform. Incidentally, as I mentioned earlier if everything goes to plan I should be able to get up close with one of the Luftwaffe's MRTTs later this summer.

movax posted:

That's pretty much f14.jpg / topgun.bmp

Haha, it really is.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Whee!

(2860x1998)

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

The Ferret King posted:

PM sent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know it's due to foreshortening, but every time I see a pic like this it makes me clench.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Sup?

(1920x1200)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know it's due to foreshortening, but every time I see a pic like this it makes me clench.

South African Airlines pilots are showy though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivZjz_6mao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivZjz_6mao

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Lordy, high crosswinds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvLuUJFHYk

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I like the 'child lounge'

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I would absolutely buy a ticket to fly on a Connie.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Seeing this makes me want to watch The Aviator again.

What do you guys think of the movie?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Godholio posted:

They sell them. There is a super-constellation that was converted as a mosquito sprayer operating up in Canada that got re-converted into a liner with TWA livery and does the airshow circuit from time to time...Saw it at Oshkosh a few years back.

I think they sold flights, maybe they just wanted money to see inside.

[edit for content]
YB-60 low pass. Hadn't seen this picture before.

Nother you don't see every day. XA2D-1 Sky Shark

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 14, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Literally this. There was a Connie at an airshow at Offutt when I was growing up...if my dad hadn't been a tightass and/or if I had fully appreciated at the time what that meant I probably would have paid to have gotten on board.

Slo-Tek posted:

[edit for content]
YB-60 low pass. Hadn't seen this picture before.

Nother you don't see every day. XA2D-1 Sky Shark

Pictures own.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

F-8 Crusader flying out of Danang with it's wings folded. Was done more than once. Hard on the aircraft, but enough thrust and lift that they can get airborn, dump ordinance off the end of the field, and come around for a landing.

I wonder how much of the navy crying about single engine jets was ex post facto justification for hating the F-16 and anything to do with the AF, rather than an honest assessment of performance. There were a lot of capable single engine carrier jets over the years. The A-7 had one of the lowest loss rates in Vietnam.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 14, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Why would they fly with the wings folded?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Godholio posted:

Wasn't on purpose.

But, because it was a land naval base, and it was a night mission, and the crews had pretty good access to drugs and alcohol things happen.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Godholio posted:

It's not intentional. From what I've read, it was usually due to the wings not locking in the extended position (due to the pilot forgetting or the locking system failing), and the aerodynamic loads simply forcing the wings to the folded position.

There's a story about a Skyraider being launched off a carrier with the wings folded during the Korean war (I'm not aware of any pictures), due to no one noticing the folded wings because it was a moonless night.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

A7s own.

(2870x1910)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

co199 posted:

A7s own.

(2870x1910)

What a gorgeous aircraft. The Corsair was the first jet that I went bonkers for as a kid. Thank you, Jane's Fighter Anthology flight sim for that. I'm partial towards the USN liveries of it though.

bloops fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 15, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

HeyEng posted:

What a gorgeous aircraft. The Corsair was the first jet that I went bonkers for as a kid. Thank you, Jane's Fighter Anthology flight sim for that. I'm partial towards the USN liveries of it though.

I always like the lo-viz gray.

(3000x1989)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

My Grandpa flew Connies for TWA. Too bad he died before I was really old enough to get to talk to him about it.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Here's a video in which two pilots land while completely ignoring the "gear is up" alarm. It seems like they ignore the alarm completely and are surprised when they bellyflop on the tarmac. Anyone have a guess about why? Is this the same sort of thing the pilots of Air France 447 did?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

I like that Vought just plain didn't follow the rules. Every aircraft they made, all the way back to the good old days, just didn't look like it came from the same evolutionary stock as anything anybody else was building.

The flying flapjack

The Pirate

The Incomprable Gutless Cutlass

The SLUF

DoublSluf

The F-8

Twosader

The F-8 3, in which designers said "could we make this look more like a shark? get a team on it", and built a mach 2.5 interceptor that might have ended up with a higher top speed if the cockpit glass hadn't started melting.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 15, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hermsgervørden posted:

Here's a video in which two pilots land while completely ignoring the "gear is up" alarm. It seems like they ignore the alarm completely and are surprised when they bellyflop on the tarmac. Anyone have a guess about why? Is this the same sort of thing the pilots of Air France 447 did?

The AF 447 mishap was due to poor crew resource management, lovely pilots, a captain leaving the flightdeck at the worst possible moment, deficient training, and a jet with system quirks that the two guys in the seat understood.

Those two guys apparently never got the message that when a plane bitches at you it's probably for a good reason.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

Those two guys apparently never got the message that when a plane bitches at you it's probably for a good reason.

It's amazing how many crews out there didn't seem to get that message.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

HeyEng posted:

The AF 447 mishap was due to poor crew resource management, lovely pilots, a captain leaving the flightdeck at the worst possible moment, deficient training, and a jet with system quirks that the two guys in the seat misunderstood.

Agree that those were all factors in AF447, but aren't several of those factors present in the dumb guys leave gear up video?

AF447 Transcript posted:

Almost as soon as Bonin pulls up into a climb, the plane's computer reacts. A warning chime alerts the cockpit to the fact that they are leaving their programmed altitude. Then the stall warning sounds. This is a synthesized human voice that repeatedly calls out, "Stall!" in English, followed by a loud and intentionally annoying sound called a "cricket." A stall is a potentially dangerous situation that can result from flying too slowly. At a critical speed, a wing suddenly becomes much less effective at generating lift, and a plane can plunge precipitously. All pilots are trained to push the controls forward when they're at risk of a stall so the plane will dive and gain speed.

The Airbus's stall alarm is designed to be impossible to ignore. Yet for the duration of the flight, none of the pilots will mention it, or acknowledge the possibility that the plane has indeed stalled—even though the word "Stall!" will blare through the cockpit 75 times. Throughout, Bonin will keep pulling back on the stick, the exact opposite of what he must do to recover from the stall.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 15, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hermsgervørden posted:

Agree that those where all factors in AF447, but aren't several of those factors present in the dumb guys leave gear up video?

Well I can't say how their training went. They could just be morons.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Hermsgervørden posted:

Anyone have a guess about why? Is this the same sort of thing the pilots of Air France 447 did?

Pretty much every airplane with retractable gear has some type of system to alert the pilots to a possible gear-up landing, and I'd bet that pilots have managed to misunderstand or ignore every single one of them and land the airplanes gear up.

On most piston airplanes, the warning system is simply an annoying buzzer or beeper that goes off whenever the throttle is retarded past a certain point or the flaps are lowered without the gear being extended. More complex airplanes may use a more sophisticated system to trigger a warning, but the basic concepts are pretty much the same.

Piper actually designed Arrow models with a "foolproof" system that automatically lowered the landing gear if the airspeed dropped below a certain point. Insurance companies loved the system, but it didn't prove terribly reliable over the long run (Piper also lost a lawsuit after the system dropped the gear and prevented an aircraft with an engine failure from gliding back to the airport), and Piper now recommends that the system be deactivated on aircraft fitted with it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Hermsgervørden posted:

Here's another video of pilots doing the same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMn7ZweF6s

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

azflyboy posted:

It's not intentional. From what I've read, it was usually due to the wings not locking in the extended position (due to the pilot forgetting or the locking system failing), and the aerodynamic loads simply forcing the wings to the folded position.

There's a story about a Skyraider being launched off a carrier with the wings folded during the Korean war (I'm not aware of any pictures), due to no one noticing the folded wings because it was a moonless night.

The Skyraider story is completely true. The best part of it was that the engineers at Douglas couldn't believe it happened when they saw the report, so they sent one of their test pilots out to see if they could in fact fly a Skyraider with the wings folded. Turns out it was not only possible, but the aircraft flew perfectly well. I've seen a picture from this test flight somewhere; I'm gonna try to find it, but no guarantees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Slo-Tek posted:

Is it just me or is there a crazy amount of stamp tool and smudge used on this photo?

WHAT IS THIS JPEG HIDING??