Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Tony probably hates Dusty and Heenan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

That commentary has made me despise Dusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lone Rogue posted:

Tony probably hates Dusty and Heenan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

I'm hoping that just after it cuts off Heenan says "What is that Schiavone, an Argentine Backbreaker? :smug:"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KildarX posted:

That commentary has made me despise Dusty.

It's hysterical though. Only because I buy that Dusty was genuinely like :wtc:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Schiavone hates Tenay. Always has.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LividLiquid posted:

Schiavone hates Tenay. Always has.

To be fair, does anyone not hate Tenay?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tenay is a decent straight man when a guy is going crazy.

I enjoyed when Scott Steiner threatened to kill him if he ever called it a hurricanrana again.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Dusty Rhodes asking someone what they're talking about. I like it when announcers know the names of stuff that happens. :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That segment always came across to me like Heenan was making fun of Dusty more than Schiavone.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So the answer is everyone?

He hated everyone.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

simosimo posted:

I just finished reading The Death of WCW. What a great read! I've wanted to know the ins and outs of WCWS gently caress ups and wow, they really were hosed. I do wonder what the Pro wrestling landscape would look like these days if they were still around though.

In WCW mode I fired up WCW Mayhem on the PS1, and the commentary in that game is still awesome compared to the current PS3 games.

In true WCW fashion, I had a random match at Slamboree, it was Scott Hall vs Juvi.G , Hall proceeds to squash Juvi in 4 minutes for the win. Surprised Nash didn't turn up!

Also changed Smackdown on WWE 12 to nitro, instead of complaining about stupidly booked matches and angles, I can just say 'heh, nitro'.

I do wish Tony S would commentate on either TNA or WWE, I love his voice. Cole is stupid, and I can't stand Tazz, and to a lesser extent, Tenays lil grindin' voice.

That reminds me of my most surreal video game wrestling moment, while playing Mayhem. I was using Raven, and wrestling Scott Norton, and Norton gets me in the corner, and puts me on top. I figure he's going for a superplex.

No.

He goes for a top rope hurricanrana. Which I then reverse into a superbomb for 3.

I'll say that again. Scott Norton, who weighs like 320-330, went for a top rope rana. That game's AI and moveset were weird, man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sue Denim posted:

So the answer is everyone?

He hated everyone.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That reminds me of my most surreal video game wrestling moment, while playing Mayhem. I was using Raven, and wrestling Scott Norton, and Norton gets me in the corner, and puts me on top. I figure he's going for a superplex.

No.

He goes for a top rope hurricanrana. Which I then reverse into a superbomb for 3.

I'll say that again. Scott Norton, who weighs like 320-330, went for a top rope rana. That game's AI and moveset were weird, man.

In WCW vs NWO World Tour you could play as Rey Mysterio Jr. and powerbomb the Giant...

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No.

JUS TELL 'EM IT WAS A TRAIN NAMED... SCOTT NORTON..........................STAAAAAAAANDING DDDDROPKICK! THAT LOOKED LIKE IT STUNNED HIM A BIT, HOPE HE'S GOT GOOD INSURANCE.

Gotta love Tony.S

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

ColeM posted:

In WCW vs NWO World Tour you could play as Rey Mysterio Jr. and powerbomb the Giant...

I like the departure from realism there more than No Mercy's "any super heavyweight can only be scoop slammed."

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Bocc Kob posted:

What could have been?

Mike Tenay: Worse than Russo. :mad:

This led me to Wikipedia:

Bobby Heenan posted:

One particular incident of tension happened on the Nitro following the death of Heenan's longtime best friend Gorilla Monsoon. Heenan was allowed to say a word of honor for Monsoon albeit only a small statement. Word has it that Schiavone was against any mention of Monsoon on the show and Heenan resented him for it. Later on in the show when Schiavone asked for Heenan's opinion on an upcoming tag team match Heenan responded, "I can't hear you from way down here", then mumbled some unintelligible words towards Tony, in tears, before the camera cut away.

Reason #2636223 why Bobby Heenan is the best ever and Tony Shiavone can eat a bag of dicks every morning.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

maniacripper posted:

This led me to Wikipedia:

Reason #2636223 why Bobby Heenan is the best ever and Tony Shiavone can eat a bag of dicks every morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf87iR-7w4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr8lmVxxRhA

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mike Tenay is so pleased at that line.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Maybe it's an old saying I don't know, but what does "I can't hear you from down here" mean?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Phenix Rising posted:

Maybe it's an old saying I don't know, but what does "I can't hear you from down here" mean?

Heenan is calling him out. He felt like he was being talked down to, or that Shavonie was on a high horse.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Schiavone made his chair higher than Heenan and Tenay's in the broadcast booth on purpose.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

maniacripper posted:

Heenan is calling him out. He felt like he was being talked down to, or that Shavonie was on a high horse.

That's what I kind of figured but didn't want to assume I knew what he meant.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I can't read lips, but those words Brain was muttering under his breath did not appear to be complimentary. :aaa:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Saul Goode posted:

Schiavone made his chair higher than Heenan and Tenay's in the broadcast booth on purpose.

Yup.

One must wonder what the gently caress Tony said after Brain did his tribute because Tony was being respectful during the tribute.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, if Tony was arguing not to mention Gorilla at all, then fed the audience a line of bullshit about wanting to say goodbye to Gorilla. I could see that upsetting Heenan.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Bocc Kob posted:

I can't read lips, but those words Brain was muttering under his breath did not appear to be complimentary. :aaa:

It looks like Heenan is repeating everything Tony is saying, but in a mocking tone.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Psychlone posted:

It looks like Heenan is repeating everything Tony is saying, but in a mocking tone.

It looked like he was talking to someone in his headset.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I've hit April '99 while watching the years Nitro's, watching them reminded me of Flair saying (I can't even remember where) that he was embarrassed with a lot of the angles he was part of in WCW towards the end which I assume was at least partly in reference to the angle where he was briefly institutionalised in March/April '99 that does a really slapstick One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest kind of thing.

I have to say Flair is a true professional, even while involved in such an absurd and demeaning story line he gives it 110%, despite all the recent events in his life seeing stuff like this reminds me why he's so respected and deservedly so.

For those who haven't seen this angle, it's really bad. Flair gets sent to a institution populated with really offensive characterisations of the mentally ill where he has to act the part and fit in. The story is bad enough but it is genuinely executed without a hint of tact on top of this.

As I said, this was in March/April 1999.

Who was the dominant creative force in WCW at the time?

At this point they're burning through angles really quickly and desperately trying to pop the ratings it seems. The episode previous to the one I'm watching had DDP drop the belt to Sting only to have Sting drop it back to DDP in a four way match with Nash and Goldburg in the same night.

It seems that this is really the point where the beginning of the end starts.

The contrasts in Nitro's tone from the start of the year and this point are quite striking, it's like watching two different promotions but the shows are only months apart or weeks more accurately since the changes started gaining momentum in February from memory.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
In my quest to watch the entire Monday Night Wars, I am up to January 1997 right now. I find myself getting more and more bored with the Nitro... all the enhancement matches are horrible, the tag team division is almost equally as horrible. I can't stand watching the Faces of Fear, probably the only tag team from that era to never hold the tag titles. The first Souled Out was probably one of the worst PPVs I've ever seen too.

I just don't get how it beat Raw all those consecutive weeks when comparatively it was so bad. Maybe my fondness of the Raw undercard is much better knowing what those guys became.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The WCW Mayhem mention reminds me that it had pretty much the most random roster I could possibly imagine.

quote:

1. Alex Wright
2. Arn Anderson (Hidden Character)
3. Bam Bam Bigelow (Hidden Character)
4. Barry Windham (Hidden Character)
5. Billy Kidman
6. Bobby Blaze (Hidden Character)
7. Bobby Duncum Jr.
8. Bobby Eaton (Hidden Character)
9. Booker T
10. Bret "Hitman" Hart
11. Buff Bagwell
12. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
13. Chris Benoit
14. Chris Jericho (Hidden Character)
15. Chris Kanyon
16. Curt Hennig
17. Dean Malenko
18. Diamond Dallas Page
19. Disco Inferno
20. Doug Dillenger (Hidden Character)
21. Eddie Guerrero
22. Eric Bischoff (Hidden Character)
23. Ernest "The Cat" Miller
24. Goldberg
25. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
26. Horace Hogan
27. Jimmy Hart (Hidden Character)
28. Juventud Guerrera
29. Kaz Hayashi
30. Kenny Kaos
31. Kevin Nash
32. Konnan
33. La Parka
34. Lash LeRoux (Hidden Character)
35. Lex Luger
36. Lizmark Jr.
37. Macho Man
38. Mean Gene Okerlund (Hidden Character)
39. Norman Smiley
40. Perry Saturn
41. Prince Iaukea
42. Psychosis
43. Raven
44. Rey Mysterio Jr.
45. Ric Flair (Hidden Character)
46. Rick Steiner (Hidden Character)
47. Scott Hall (Hidden Character)
48. Scott Norton
49. Scott Steiner
50. Sergeant Buddy Lee Parker (Hidden Character)
51. Sonny Onoo (Hidden Character)
52. Steve "Mongo" McMichael
53. Stevie Ray
54. Sting
55. Wolfpac Sting (Hidden Character)
56. Wrath

Whoa, you mean I can play as Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker, Prince Iaukea or Lizmark, Jr.?! Hell, I don't even remember anyone named Bobby Blaze in WCW but looking it up he was some jobber with a handful of appearances or something. :psyduck:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

love the fact that Kenny Kaos was instantly playable but Ric Flair was a hidden character

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lamuella posted:

love the fact that Kenny Kaos was instantly playable but Ric Flair was a hidden character

Atleast this game had a ring

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Where is Meng and Glacier on that list?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's amazing that the quality of the WCW Video Games almost mirrors the product at the time...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

It's amazing that the quality of the WCW Video Games almost mirrors the product at the time...

Late 98 almost works since anything involving Hogan and fire made you say "what the gently caress" but the rest of WCW wasn't up to Revenge's level of quality.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
All I remember is somebody thought that Backstage Assault was a good idea for a pro wrestling game. And then they made it. And they sold it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

1st AD posted:

All I remember is somebody thought that Backstage Assault was a good idea for a pro wrestling game. And then they made it. And they sold it.

Also if I remember correctly Lance Storm still has not getting any money from it

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I remember being so goddamn angry that in Backstage Assault a diamond cutter was just a plain old bulldog. And there were all these moves designed to be done while your opponent was stunned in a turnbuckle, but there weren't any turnbuckles in the game!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was PUMPED for Backstage Assault after reading a Nintendo Power preview about it though.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm never getting back the time I spent unlocking Ron and Don Harris :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

1st AD posted:

I mean I guess technically this is true.