Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Edit: Found a guide that I think will working, going to give it a try once I get out of this hell some people call the workplace.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you change your default email client?

Nope, using regular old Mail. It has been broken since I upgraded to Lion, I think.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Worked in Lion here. Made sure Pages is up to date?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Fixed the Send Via Mail issue, and the solution was entirely bizarre.

I liked having Pages, Keynote, and Numbers in the Applications folder rather than in Applications\iWork '09. I had trouble getting the programs to update, as well as the Send Via Mail problem, and an Apple Support Community document said that the programs would update properly only if they remained in a properly titled "iWork '09" folder.

I put the apps back in the folder, and now they both update and export as normal. Weird.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I guess now you'll know not to move things from where Apple puts them.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Strange. I've never kept them in that folder and mine still update fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ripburger posted:

I should have tried. All the stuff I was finding on Google and other forums were saying not to allow it to get past the first boot in the VM, lest Windows install the Virtual Box reference hardware drivers, and not the native MacBook Pro ones. Though I only tried this method with a GPT partition table, and not an MBR. Perhaps that's the key?

Ok, posting this from inside Windows 7. Didn't end up having to use a USB drive of any kind or swap my optical drive back in. I'll post the instructions, with a few edits by me, once I get it all up and running nicely.

edit: If anyone is curious...
2010 13" MBP w/ SSD & 8GB Ram WEI scores
Processor: 6.0
Memory: 6.0
Graphics: 5.3
Gaming Graphics: 6.1
Primary hard drive: 7.1
Overall: 5.3

Skyrim auto settings are Medium and it runs hilariously well.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 11, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've got my server up and running just fine now with AFP and SMB sharing over link aggregated gigabit home networking (meaning both my workstation and macbook pro can access it at proper speeds, woo!) - and I'm wondering if I can move part of my iTunes library onto the server (for example, all my audiobooks which take up ~100GB of the 240GB SSD - It'd be nice if I could use that space for bootcamp instead).

Speaking of bootcamp, I know this isn't the proper thread, but perhaps you guys can answer this: Can VMware Fusion use a Bootcamp partition to run on, so I can either dualboot or just run VMware Fusion if I'm in OSX and need something Windowsy quick? I know Parallels can do this, but the license I have is old and I really can't justify buying it since I spent 50bux on VMware Fusion before christmas during the sale.

BlackMK4 posted:

WEI scores
Nice to see some WEI scores, what graphics card is in the 13" 2010 Medio? I have a nVidia GeForce GT330M 256MB and I'm wondering if I can't hope for a bit better scores (also have 8GB and a OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD)?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 11, 2012

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Ok, posting this from inside Windows 7. Didn't end up having to use a USB drive of any kind or swap my optical drive back in. I'll post the instructions, with a few edits by me, once I get it all up and running nicely.

Awesome to hear I look forward to seeing it. Process for me was to start bootcamp install use usb DVD to pass the media check. When it attempts to boot into windows power off the laptop and then remove the SSD and temporary install the superdrive. Complete the windows install then put the SSD back in and the system is back to normal. It was fine as I had no intention of putting windows on the SSD but it's a real pain as theres a bit involved in swapping the parts but the internal design is way better then most dell laptops I have seen in a while.

Speaking of WEI, late 2011 MBP 15, 8GB of RAM
Processor: 7.5
Memory: 7.6
Graphics: 6.9
Gaming Graphics: 6.9
Primary hard drive: 5.9
Overall: 5.9

Your video scores are really nice, close to the ATI 6750M in the 2011. One downside this laptop is quite loud under 3D load, wish I could of waited for an Ivy Bridge solution.

(here's a gpu-z/cpu-z/WEI screenshot)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Crackpipe posted:

It's a tiny little app that is incredibly useful to a lot of people. They should have spun it off as an optional, paid, AppStore product.

Everybody wins.

It's not that simple. To support Rosetta, Apple has to ship PowerPC versions of all the system frameworks.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've got my server up and running just fine now with AFP and SMB sharing over link aggregated gigabit home networking (meaning both my workstation and macbook pro can access it at proper speeds, woo!) - and I'm wondering if I can move part of my iTunes library onto the server (for example, all my audiobooks which take up ~100GB of the 240GB SSD - It'd be nice if I could use that space for bootcamp instead).

Yes, either move the whole library by changing the location in iTunes prefs and consolidating, or put an alias for the subdirectory that you want to move. I have seen iTunes get really super slow at adding songs if your library is on an AFP server, but it didn't happen all the time. If you have fewer large files on the AFP mount instead of lots of tiny files it might not be that bad.

Keep your iTunes Library file on your local disk, and make sure to back it up regularly.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Speaking of bootcamp, I know this isn't the proper thread, but perhaps you guys can answer this: Can VMware Fusion use a Bootcamp partition to run on, so I can either dualboot or just run VMware Fusion if I'm in OSX and need something Windowsy quick?

Yep. There's a button inside VMware that will launch Boot Camp for you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How would I transcode a .m2v video file into an MP4/MOV (H.264, QT-Compatible) format?

I'm doing sound design for a film and the movie was sent to me as a .m2v, exported from Final Cut. I have opened it in QT Pro 7 and QT 10 (with Perian), but neither can play the video, however VLC can. Do I just need the codec? If I can open it in QT 7, I can change the encapsulation to something my postproduction software recognizes.

edit: Because this is for a project, I would like a perfect frame-by-frame output. The quality doesn't matter (I can transcode it), but I don't want to have dropped frames or hosed-up timings.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 11, 2012

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How would I transcode a .m2v video file into an MP4/MOV (H.264, QT-Compatible) format?

I'm doing sound design for a film and the movie was sent to me as a .m2v, exported from Final Cut. I have opened it in QT Pro 7 and QT 10 (with Perian), but neither can play the video, however VLC can. Do I just need the codec? If I can open it in QT 7, I can change the encapsulation to something my postproduction software recognizes.

edit: Because this is for a project, I would like a perfect frame-by-frame output. The quality doesn't matter (I can transcode it), but I don't want to have dropped frames or hosed-up timings.

MPEG-2 is apparently supported by QT on Lion, but you need to to buy the component for playback on other versions of OS X. Kinda frustrating.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A

Look into a nice encoding package like Sorenson Squeeze if this is something you anticipate a recurring need for.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have OSX Lion though, do I still need the codec for it? It won't open it any version of QT, but will in VLC (my non-Apple postproduction software uses QT though, so I have to have it in a QT-compatible format).

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 11, 2012

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

chimz posted:

Yep. There's a button inside VMware that will launch Boot Camp for you.

Only thing to note is that you cannot "suspend" a bootcamp VM. You have to do a full VM startup and shutdown each time you start boot camp in fusion.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014515 posted:

Note: When launching a Boot Camp partition directly, these Fusion features are unavailable:

Suspend and Resume
Mirrored Folders
Snapshots and AutoProtect
Virtual disk backup

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have OSX Lion though, do I still need the codec for it? It won't open it any version of QT, but will in VLC (my non-Apple postproduction software uses QT though, so I have to have it in a QT-compatible format).

Perian has some MPEG-2 support - maybe that's stomping on something in the native QT codec? MPEG-2 should be supported natively in Lion.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Strangely, if I click the little play preview button on the icon, it'll actually play the video back, but opening the file does nothing. I'll try messing with Perian's codecs and see if Lion will load it.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Viktor posted:

Only thing to note is that you cannot "suspend" a bootcamp VM. You have to do a full VM startup and shutdown each time you start boot camp in fusion.

Just to point out a difference between Parallels and Fusion: Parallels does support suspending a bootcamp VM. Just be drat sure to load up the VM and shut down Windows properly before you restart your computer to boot into Windows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

decypher posted:

Just to point out a difference between Parallels and Fusion: Parallels does support suspending a bootcamp VM. Just be drat sure to load up the VM and shut down Windows properly before you restart your computer to boot into Windows.

...... I'm almost tempted to ask what happens if you don't :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VirtualBox did some sort of weird hiccup. I was just typing away in a Fedora VM, and my Mac crashed. Up for 36 days.

When I booted back up, I couldn't start any of my VM's. Told me it was missing something about the kernel. Weird. I was 2-3 updates behind so I installed the latest version and everything was fine.

Hrmm...

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Martytoof posted:

...... I'm almost tempted to ask what happens if you don't :ohdear:

From my one experience with it, Windows did a deep scan of the hard drive or file system table upon start up. Aside from taking some time, there were no real consequences. But, of course, it is probably not a safe practice if data integrity is any priority.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

decypher posted:

From my one experience with it, Windows did a deep scan of the hard drive or file system table upon start up. Aside from taking some time, there were no real consequences. But, of course, it is probably not a safe practice if data integrity is any priority.

Mine did this and also made me reauthorize windows.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

Martytoof posted:

I used VirtualBox until I switched to VMFusion because I was concentrating on VMWare material. That said, I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about VirtualBox. The price was right, it did absolutely everything I (personally) wanted to do in Windows, and did it without a hassle.

I think it might suck at 3D gaming or something? But that's when I boot into Windows anyway.

So I know I am calling myself out here, but I was told that my windows laptop "won't even work in this office, you won't be able to access any shares." If I boot into windows or run VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels, is that a factor? Don't even know what that implies.

Right now what I would LIKE to do is have both a MacOS and Windows OS's that I can boot into, and when needed I can run VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels when I am in MacOS which I imagine I will be most of the time.

Is that feasible or pie in the sky?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I can't speak for VirtualBox or Parallels, but Fusion VMs are able to see the shares OS X is connected to. I'm somewhat sure the other two have that capability as well.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

wolffenstein posted:

I can't speak for VirtualBox or Parallels, but Fusion VMs are able to see the shares OS X is connected to. I'm somewhat sure the other two have that capability as well.

But if I boot into windows, probably not? I wouldn't think it would be.

Fastbreak fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 11, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Again I only speak for Fusion, but when in the native Boot Camp Windows, the VMware tools don't detect the VM environment and don't run. So you lose the capabilities the VM had.

If you're concerned about VM performance, allocate extra memory and use two cores with the VM. Windows 7 is much better designed for VM usage than previous Windows OSes, so the performance hit for using a VM is minimal if at all.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002

wolffenstein posted:

Again I only speak for Fusion, but when in the native Boot Camp Windows, the VMware tools don't detect the VM environment and don't run. So you lose the capabilities the VM had.

If you're concerned about VM performance, allocate extra memory and use two cores with the VM. Windows 7 is much better designed for VM usage than previous Windows OSes, so the performance hit for using a VM is minimal if at all.

Awesome, thanks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Viktor posted:

Duely noted, but that isn't a huge problem since my SSD is fast (Windows 7 boot in vmware fusion is currently 28 +/- .5 seconds).
As for the other things, I don't use them anyhow.

Thanks for the advise, everyone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D. Ebdrup posted:

Nice to see some WEI scores, what graphics card is in the 13" 2010 Medio? I have a nVidia GeForce GT330M 256MB and I'm wondering if I can't hope for a bit better scores (also have 8GB and a OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD)?
I don't know what a Medio is but I have a 256mb GT320M in my 2010 13" Pro.

So here is the deal on how I got Bootcamped Windows 7 up and running on a Macbook Pro with no optical drive or USB drive - all you need is a Windows 7 iso, which you can legally download from Microsoft. A bunch of this was retyped from memory based on a post by OzyCA at MacRumors so I take zero credit.

1. Create your bootcamp partition with Disk Utility - any size over 20ish GB and format it FAT, you don't need to mess with anything else at all.

2. Install rEFIt (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/refit/rEFIt-0.14.dmg?use_mirror=) and reboot TWICE.

3. Install Parallels Desktop 7 Trial and activate it with the trials serial number they email to you.

4. Create a new Parallels by choosing "Install Windows or Another OS from DVD or Image File", choose your ISO in the install disk dropdown, uncheck Express Installation, hit "Like a PC", hit "Customize settings before installlation", ignore the warning about disk size if you get it and hit customize.

5. Click CD/DVD on the left and set it to your iso file, click Boot Order on left and set the CD/DVD to be the first device, click Hard Disk 1 on the left and choose the drive with your bootcamp partition on it as the device, and finally close the settings window and hit continue.

6. Windows setup will boot, click through a few screens until it asks where you want Windows to be installed - choose your bootcamp partition, click drive options, and hit format. This will format it to NTFS. Now hit the X to leave the installer.

7. Instead of choosing install this time we're going to choose to Repair, then System Tools, and finally Command Prompt.

8. Type 'C:' then 'dir'. It should be empty. This is your bootcamp partition. Type 'D:' then 'dir'. This should be your Windows 7 iso and list all of the files on the iso. Type 'XCOPY D:\*.* C:\ /e/h'. This will copy your install DVD from the iso to the now-NTFS bootcamp partition, it might take a while depending on what drives you have in the system. Shut the system off after it's done.

9. While booting hold the option key to get into rEFIt and choose to boot from the Windows install on your bootcamp partition.

10. Go through the Windows install as if it were a normal Windows install, use your NTFS bootcamp partition as the install target. After you finally get into Windows after a few reboots (that seem like an abrupt power cut and something is wrong) you might want to go through and delete the Windows iso files from your C: drive and install all of the bootcamp goodies as usual.

gently caress, back to Skyrim, woot.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 12, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When I'm using VNC screen sharing built into Lion, how do I send a literal ctrl-arrowleft which isn't interpreted by my local machine first?

I entered VPN'd onto campus, and VNC'd into my Mac and accidentally clicked on a fullscreen app. I'd like to go back to my desktop, but hitting ctrl-leftarrow makes my HOME system scroll over to its dashboard instead of making the remote system switch over one space.

I know I can un-fullscreen that particular app and then just fullscreen it again when I get back to my desk tomorrow, but that seems really inelegant.

e: I alt-tabbed into a non-fullscreen app and that took me back to my main workspace. Still, very inelegant :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know what a Medio is but I have a 256mb GT320M in my 2010 13" Pro.
Primo, Medio and those other terms are what Apple use to describe the part of the year the various hardware was released - eg. Medio would make it summer, Primo would make it spring and so on (don't off-hand remember the two other terms as they're rarely used due to release cycles/schedules if I recall correctly).

BlackMK4 posted:

:words: about bootcamp
Dude, that's a lot of stuff. I just inserted my Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64bit disk in, started bootcamp assistant, put 80GB space for now, waited for it to finish and began installing Windows. There's nothing more to it, I don't get why Viktor mentions about removing optical drive and having problems.

...I've done it a few times now, across at least two harddisks on two seperate machines each. Never used rEFIt, don't see why this guy gets involved with it. As far as I know it's only required if you want to dualboot to n*x flavors, of which FreeBSD suits my needs on my workstation.

Besides, I have no interest in removing the superdrive from my macbook pro as it's currently the only functional optical drive I have in the house (and I don't want a mechanical hdd in my macbook pro anyway).

Actually that may all be moot. Have you guys bought those optibays and are running a mechanical hdd and a sdd? Why, if I may inquire?
My solution is an +600GB FW800/USB2-powered external harddisk if I have any need for lugging much data around (that I can't grab from my own cloud server, for whatever reason).

Previously, BlackMK4 and Viktor posted:

:words: about WEI
Here are some WEI scores I just got on a 15" 2010 Medio with a 2.4GHz i5 Quadcore, 8GB memory, 240GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD:
Processor: 6,7
Memory: 6,7
Graphics: 6,4
Gaming Graphics: 6,4
Primary hard drive: 6,6
Overall: 6,4.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 12, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Martytoof posted:

When I'm using VNC screen sharing built into Lion, how do I send a literal ctrl-arrowleft which isn't interpreted by my local machine first?

I entered VPN'd onto campus, and VNC'd into my Mac and accidentally clicked on a fullscreen app. I'd like to go back to my desktop, but hitting ctrl-leftarrow makes my HOME system scroll over to its dashboard instead of making the remote system switch over one space.

I know I can un-fullscreen that particular app and then just fullscreen it again when I get back to my desk tomorrow, but that seems really inelegant.

e: I alt-tabbed into a non-fullscreen app and that took me back to my main workspace. Still, very inelegant :(

In the full screen app, move your cursor until it is pressed against the edge of the screen that would normally have your dock. OSX will automatically stop the cursor at the edge of the screen. Hold the cursor there a second without moving it, then push it again against the edge of the screen. This will summon the Dock.

Using the dock, you can force a non-fullscreen app to take focus.

I also put the Mission Control icon back on my desktop computer so that when I VPN in, I can use that to enter Mission Control.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D. Ebdrup posted:

Actually that may all be moot. Have you guys bought those optibays and are running a mechanical hdd and a sdd? Why, if I may inquire?
My solution is an +600GB FW800/USB2-powered external harddisk if I have any need for lugging much data around (that I can't grab from my own cloud server, for whatever reason).
Yes, because my first SSD was a 60gb Corsair and it wasn't enough room. $13 bucks bought me an optical bay caddy to put my stock 250gb drive in. I don't have the money for a baller 200gb SSD.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
As a fairly new Mac user, this thread is a real gem. I'm working my way through the pages but I have a question I hope you can help me with right away.

I've tons of CDs on my Windows computer, that I origianlly ripped myself. In other words, I bought the CDs but not via iTunes. What's the easiest way to copy the entire collection over to my Mac?

I've never liked iTunes, but I guess I need to give it a proper try.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you like fiddling with formats and encoder preferences, Max is probably what you are looking for.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly.

e: nevermind, there's apparentlt a fancy Migration Assistant I can use. (Why in God's name haven't I discovered this before?!)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

just add them to your library after copying them to an external hd or putting them on a network share?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Yes, I'm just surprised at how easy it seems to be. I was expecting some hellish operation.

Thanks!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, because my first SSD was a 60gb Corsair and it wasn't enough room. $13 bucks bought me an optical bay caddy to put my stock 250gb drive in. I don't have the money for a baller 200gb SSD.
Ah, that explains it. As to not having money, I saved for a long time before I could afford mine, but it was totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HolySwissCheese posted:

In the full screen app, move your cursor until it is pressed against the edge of the screen that would normally have your dock. OSX will automatically stop the cursor at the edge of the screen. Hold the cursor there a second without moving it, then push it again against the edge of the screen. This will summon the Dock.

Using the dock, you can force a non-fullscreen app to take focus.

I also put the Mission Control icon back on my desktop computer so that when I VPN in, I can use that to enter Mission Control.

Thanks, that did it. I also removed Mission Control from my dock, how did you go about putting it back?

Fastbreak posted:

So I know I am calling myself out here, but I was told that my windows laptop "won't even work in this office, you won't be able to access any shares." If I boot into windows or run VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels, is that a factor? Don't even know what that implies.

Right now what I would LIKE to do is have both a MacOS and Windows OS's that I can boot into, and when needed I can run VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels when I am in MacOS which I imagine I will be most of the time.

Is that feasible or pie in the sky?

I can't really speak to this with any sort of personal experience. However, as someone mentioned, if you can mount a share on your Mac then you should be able to give VMWare or VirtualBox (I guess) access to that particular shared folder on your Mac so theoretically that would be one way to get what you want done.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 12, 2012