Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Thanks, gonna check this out!

Also, gonna third the Plume recommendation. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

martinlutherbling posted:

bumping this since it got left behind on the last page
You should consider explaining what 'tonepad' is to those of us in this Android thread that don't own an iPhone.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Thanks guys I'll try a few different suggestions and see what works well for me.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

falz posted:

You should consider explaining what 'tonepad' is to those of us in this Android thread that don't own an iPhone.

According to the iTunes page for it...

quote:

TonePad is the easiest and coolest way to make music. Discover the inner musician in you. Create songs by simply touching the screen and seeing notes light up. Share your unique creations with friends.

If you like Andre Michelle's ToneMatrix or the Tenori-On, then you will absolutely love this app.

TonePad features a clean minimalist user interface with a full 16x16 matrix. The sound quality remains excellent regardless of how many notes are playing at the same time.

You can save an unlimited number of songs. The current song is also saved automatically on exit.

Sharing your musical creations couldn't be simpler. You simply press the Upload button and give your friend the song code. Your friend then downloads the song directly into TonePad by pressing the Download button and entering that code.

Please use headphones for best sound. Stayed tuned for more customization features to come. If you like the app, remember to share your song codes with the community by writing a review!

News:

Did somebody ask for ringtones?
TonePad Pro is here!

Users uploading obscenities will be banned.

So...it makes music? Somehow? And it's like a couple of other apps, but better. Well then.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 11, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Penguissimo posted:

According to the iTunes page for it...

So...it makes music? Somehow? And it's like a couple of other apps, but better. Well then.

http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix

There's also iNudge, which had more instruments/features, but it seems to have disappeared from the internet.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Do you have juicedefender? I did& woofi started a fight. I ditched JD & my battery life picked up as well.

Others have had much better results with JD, I'm not slating it, just that it didn't work for me.

its installed, but disabled. The jury is still out for me if the program is worth it.

I lowered my seconds to location checks to 20 sec, upped my wifi check time to 30 sec. and turned off wifi.

It connected and found my location right away while i was sitting at home, but that is to be expected. Since it found my home wifi, it should use my home wifi.

I'll keep a close eye on the way to work tomorrow. I have a 'conflict' with using tasker to find my work cell area, and popping on wifi there, but woofi *shouldn't* conflict because (in the free version) i only have my home location set, and i still should be too far away for it to try and connect.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
What types of calculator apps do you guys recommend? From what I've seen from searching, non match the TIs. Why? I'd like to avoid shelling out $100+ if possible.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

err posted:

What types of calculator apps do you guys recommend? From what I've seen from searching, non match the TIs. Why? I'd like to avoid shelling out $100+ if possible.

Handycalc is my personal favourite.

There were a couple of direct TI emulators out there but, as you might imagine, TI has been fighting them. Probably still possible to find them around if you search.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There's a ti emulator that works amazingly. It's changed names a few times, I think it's called andie graph currently. You have to provide your own rom, of course. There are plenty of guides online to extract it from your own calculator.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is what I saw on the market. You have to provide your own ROM, so maybe you can find a friend who has one and extract a ROM.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Thermopyle posted:

Sorry, you have to turn it on in the app preferences.

So Woofi worked perfectly now that I've turned notifications on. What could cause it to not check location with them turned off?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Regarding woofi turning wifi off. I had woofi disabled and turned my wifi on. It connected everything was good. Turn Woofi on and set my location to be a couple kilometers away. Wait a few minutes and my wifi is off, and Woofi is saying I'm however far away, waiting until whenever to check again.

I have a LTE Gnex.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are there device restrictions on this? I can neither find this on the market nor use the version downloaded from XDA on my SGS2.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Cojawfee posted:

Regarding woofi turning wifi off. I had woofi disabled and turned my wifi on. It connected everything was good. Turn Woofi on and set my location to be a couple kilometers away. Wait a few minutes and my wifi is off, and Woofi is saying I'm however far away, waiting until whenever to check again.

I have a LTE Gnex.

You really should get the version from his blog and not the market. I used to have a lot of problems, but the beta version on his blog works great for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Regarding the Twitter app discussion, what's, uh, wrong with the stock Twitter app? I really like it. Just wish it had an option for a black background to save my precious SAMOLED's battery life (which is 2500 mah, so I'm not destitute or anything).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

hotsauce posted:

Regarding the Twitter app discussion, what's, uh, wrong with the stock Twitter app? I really like it. Just wish it had an option for a black background to save my precious SAMOLED's battery life (which is 2500 mah, so I'm not destitute or anything).

The app isn't bad necessarily, but for me, the widget was lacking. Plume has a scrollable one.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Lprsti99 posted:

Holy poo poo CM7 is so awesome! :swoon:

Content: what features in Tasker require root? Aka what new goodies do I now have at my disposal?

Turning off and on GPS requires root. Got to say Tasker is the coolest. The little tweaks that it allows make it worth the price. For example, disabling auto rotation in some apps. Setting different notifications depending on the content of texts is cool too. I also set up a lost phone reply so that if I leave it somewhere I can have it text its GPS coordinates. Another sets the ringer to max and plays a loud tone for when I misplace it at home and it's set on vibrate.

Also digging Swype, it's free and basically just faster, since I can hunt and peck as fast as default and Swyping is faster. It also makes it possible to type in portrait mode at all with my fat clumsy fingers. Though I do wish it had arrow keys on the regular keyboard.

gerhalt
May 24, 2002

I'm a cop you idiot

for sale posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Android office suite? My dad is looking to view and manipulate excel files on his tablet and maybe make some quick shorthand notes in either word or some other program.

Seconding this, I'm looking for a good office suite that displays pictures inserted into excel files. Quickoffice doesn't seem to work very consistently and certain pictures don't show up

LeeMcpee
Mar 13, 2003
man hole inspector

err posted:

Droid48 is an emulator of the greatest calculator of all time, the HP48. It may take a while to get used to using reverse polish notation, but once you do you'll never go back.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Jervas Dudley posted:

Also digging Swype, it's free and basically just faster, since I can hunt and peck as fast as default and Swyping is faster. It also makes it possible to type in portrait mode at all with my fat clumsy fingers. Though I do wish it had arrow keys on the regular keyboard.

Swype from the Swype key to the symbol Key. Be amazed. Also you can long press that symbol key twice.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Shanakin posted:

Swype from the Swype key to the symbol Key. Be amazed. Also you can long press that symbol key twice.
Thanks for this! Also long-pressing once brings up the number pad! :aaaaa:

I really need to get in the habit of reading up on stuff like this more often.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

landis posted:

Thanks for this! Also long-pressing once brings up the number pad! :aaaaa:

I really need to get in the habit of reading up on stuff like this more often.

Swype has a heap of cool features and tricks in the documentation. Definitely worth reading.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Recommend me a "To-Do/scheduled tasks" app that works on a Windows PC (web interface is okay) and Android. Bonus points if I can share task lists with my wife on her Mac and Iphone (if she has to use a web interface this is okay, native to my phone/tablet is the important part). Also bonus points for having it talk to Google Calendar.

I'm not a big fan of Astrid but haven't used it in almost a year.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
*edit* nevermind

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Recommend me a "To-Do/scheduled tasks" app that works on a Windows PC (web interface is okay) and Android. Bonus points if I can share task lists with my wife on her Mac and Iphone (if she has to use a web interface this is okay, native to my phone/tablet is the important part). Also bonus points for having it talk to Google Calendar.

Any.DO is the best to do app I've found. It might not meet all your requirements but check it out.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Is there a way to get more than 16 apps into a folder in ICS that I'm not seeing? Kind of annoying to have like 3 games folders when I could just have one.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is there anything that syncs with OmniFocus?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

I use the poo poo out of Due Today which syncs with the Toodledo.com web service to implement my GTD system.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kalicki posted:

Is there a way to get more than 16 apps into a folder in ICS that I'm not seeing? Kind of annoying to have like 3 games folders when I could just have one.

Try Folder Organizer (app).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

For some reason the default contacts app is merging two of my contacts that have the same name into one contact. However when I check Google contacts using my computer, those two contacts still have separate entries. The other kicker is that the merged contacts don't have exactly the same name. One is entered as Andy and the other is an Andrew.

Is there an alternate contacts app that will handle this properly?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, not sure if it's sure to using CM7 instead of stock, or if it's from using setCPU, but after rooting and putting those on my phone, I've stopped having a very frustrating issue, where any time I left my phone in my pocket for more than 10 minutes or so, it'd overheat and wouldn't turn on without a battery pull. Now? No such problem :woop:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I know asking for a camera app that goes right to iCloud PhotoStream (and my iPhoto) is probably silly, but is there one that at least goes into a designated Dropbox folder?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BonzoESC posted:

I know asking for a camera app that goes right to iCloud PhotoStream (and my iPhoto) is probably silly, but is there one that at least goes into a designated Dropbox folder?

Your best bet would probably to use instant upload with Google+.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BonzoESC posted:

https://market.android.com/details?id=me.ctso.dropsnap

Have to open the app to make it upload. If you upgrade to the pro version for 3.99 it automatically uploads.

Just point it at the folder that holds your photos on your SD card and it does its poo poo.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

Just started using this and it seems pretty great for a free app.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync

The free version only lets you sync one folder, but that's fine if all you wanna do is sync your photos. It also lets you set the interval at which it syncs.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Splizwarf posted:

I've been using springpad as I like being able to save notes in addition to tasks and didn't like any of the pure task only applications. I thought I read somewhere here that you can integrate it with Google Calender but I don't use that so I can't say for sure. http://blog.springpadit.com/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a decent free audio player that will play .aiff files?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Jewce posted:

Finally looking for a twitter app. Searched a bit but it's hard to nail down. So, what's the best? I remember seeing the official app and plume a bunch. Is it still between those two?

I'm a major fan of Plume since a couple of updates ago. My favorite feature is definitely the fact that it'll keep track of where you quit reading, and also syncs this to a server so that it's the same place on any Android device.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse

Mantle posted:

For some reason the default contacts app is merging two of my contacts that have the same name into one contact. However when I check Google contacts using my computer, those two contacts still have separate entries. The other kicker is that the merged contacts don't have exactly the same name. One is entered as Andy and the other is an Andrew.

Is there an alternate contacts app that will handle this properly?

Try this:
-Go to your merged contact
-Press your menu key
-See if there is a "separate contact" or something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

It lags a little bit when you're updating and it's missing a jump to top feature which sucks.

Anyways to bump up the Plume talk again, it updated:

quote:

v2.84: Position bug fixed, Access Denied fixed, refreshing after a retweet fixed, as long as a lot of crashs fixed

(I know the Plume chat passed already but I have a tendancy to :spergin: about Twitter apps.)

• Locked thread