Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Still, AppleCare or not, it's better to avoid the GPU heat death or whatever in the first place rather than have to deal with the (however minor) hassle of replacement should it occur.

If you're playing at a desk for a long period of time, it's a simple matter to lift the base off the table with a few books or whatever. Fancy gamer cooling bad not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I've heard so many horror stories about MBP GPUs and heat death that I was adverse to buying one until they switched to ATI. I actually have a dead 8600M sitting on my desk right now, free gift from an unhappy friend.

Edit: I'm aware of the recall and still looking into it. It was serviced by some college warranty program.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 10, 2012

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Still, AppleCare or not, it's better to avoid the GPU heat death or whatever in the first place rather than have to deal with the (however minor) hassle of replacement should it occur.

If you're playing at a desk for a long period of time, it's a simple matter to lift the base off the table with a few books or whatever. Fancy gamer cooling bad not required.

This low tech solution drops temperatures by about 5C during gaming on my early 2011 MBP and dropped them by about 10C on my late 2008 MBP. On that older MBP it was the difference between heat shutdowns during extended periods of gaming and no heat shutdowns.

eames
May 9, 2009

MSI displayed their external thunderbolt graphics enclosure at CES using a MBP. Windows-only, although most consumers would want to use this under Bootcamp to play games anyway. Supports cards up to 150W according to the picture. I’d love to buy this and a 6770 to play games like Skyrim on my i7 Air.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5352/msis-gus-ii-external-gpu-via-thunderbolt

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That would be pretty sweet to have! Not much else to carry around too. Laptop gaming... is going to be real? :o

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Vintersorg posted:

That would be pretty sweet to have! Not much else to carry around too. Laptop gaming... is going to be real? :o

Laptop gaming was already real, provided you had some spare space shuttle heat shield tiles to put on your lap and didn't plan to use the battery for any length of time at all ever.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I can't seem to find out what a battery replacement generally costs on a mid 2010 13inch Pro. Anyone happen to know?

I just got a Service Battery warning this morning. PRAM and SMC resets did not remove the warning. Battery seems to be discharging a little faster than usual.

615 cycles
76% health (4417mAh)

No AppleCare. :ohdear:

Chances are if SMC and PRAM haven't removed the warning, it's going to be a battery replacement correct?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Ziploc posted:

I can't seem to find out what a battery replacement generally costs on a mid 2010 13inch Pro. Anyone happen to know?

I just got a Service Battery warning this morning. PRAM and SMC resets did not remove the warning. Battery seems to be discharging a little faster than usual.

615 cycles
76% health (4417mAh)

No AppleCare. :ohdear:

Chances are if SMC and PRAM haven't removed the warning, it's going to be a battery replacement correct?

Typically $129

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

1997 posted:

Typically $129

Oh, that's not to bad. I can deal with that. Thanks for the reply.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Vintersorg posted:

People have been doing this for a while. Search lenovo x220 eGPU on google.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah external GPUs have been around for a while, there have been a few custom solutions and otherwise ExpressCard (does the 17" still have that?). This is just the latest version, difference being that you'll actually be able to hook it up to a current Mac, and faster than ExpressCard. VillageTronic and Sonnet have had boxes in the works too, and I think Magma has a three slot box out.

There have been some other Thunderbolt stuff shown, mostly some expensive (or presumably expensive) rear end drives, eSATA adapter, Belkin's port replicator dock (...for $300...and 9 months away), and a not ridiculously expensive video capture box from Blackmagic ($240...of course TB cables are still $50 :suicide:)
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

They also have their high end SDI box someone else was looking into a while back ($995):
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrastudio3d/

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

How are you supposed to maintain a healthy battery? I've got a new Macbook Air, and so far it's been through 37 cycles (2 months). Should I try keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time and discharge and fully charge it every month? Anything else?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

awesome-express posted:

How are you supposed to maintain a healthy battery? I've got a new Macbook Air, and so far it's been through 37 cycles (2 months). Should I try keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time and discharge and fully charge it every month? Anything else?

You should just use your laptop like you normally would and not worry about it, seriously.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

illcendiary posted:

You should just use your laptop like you normally would and not worry about it, seriously.

Seconding this, I've had my current MBP for about 8 months and only just bothered to look - 203 cycles, if it's good for a thousand then I've got over two and a half years before I need to think about it.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Not really sure where to put this so its going in the SSD thread and the Mac Hardware thread.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro with an Intel 320 series 80GB SSD installed. I was running Snow Leopard but then ran into a problem today. When I start up the machine now, I get the gray screen with the flashing folder + question mark. I've tried several methods to fix the startup folder problem but nothing is working.

1. I inserted the snow leopard install disk, hoping to run Disk Utility from the DVD to repair the installation. However the SSD doesn't show up in the drive menu as a installation destination. In the Disk Repair menu, the Intel drive shows up, but it only has an 8MB capacity (?????)

2. I tried connecting to the laptop through my Mac mini via target disk mode. When the connection is made, an error pops up on the Mac mini saying that the drive is not recognized.

3. I've tried removing the SSD from the laptop and connecting to it via USB. This also yields the error of "drive cannot be recognized."

I have no idea what to do and am really afraid this thing is shot. I blew $180 on this thing, I don't want to junk it already.

Help?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Intel SSDs have a 5 year warranty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Posted in the SSD thread, but RMA it or secure erase / then update the firmware with
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Intel SSDs have a 5 year warranty.

The 320's do, but the others don't.

Warranty details for the Intel® Solid-State Drive 320 Series - 5-year limited warranty
Warranty details for the Intel® Solid-State Drive 710 Series - 3 year limited warranty
Warranty details for all other Intel® Solid-State Drives - 3-year limited warranty

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Ok thanks guys. I'll probably just send it back to them. I've tried securely erasing this thing before but I don't think I ever did it correctly. Better to just get a new one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I now have a fully-upgraded Macbook Pro 2010 Medio with 8GB memory and an OCZ Vertex2 240GB SSD. Can't think of any way to make it much faster, even VMware Fusion runs Windows 7 as well as one could hope for.

So my question is: Provided it lasts (which by all accounts it should, the only hardware malfunction I've had with Apple so far is me spilling liquid into a white Macbook), how long can I go before it should be replaced (I'm looking to refurbish it in some way at that point, to have it help for the new Macbook Pro I'll be getting).

Looking at some benchmarks, I'm guessing the big reason for the increase in performance is because of the upped memory speed along with faster FSB? Because there's almost double performance from a entry-level 2010 macbook pro to a entry-level 2011.

Another question: Is AppleCare really worth it, considering I've never in my life had to resolve to calling tech support for any problem I've had with computers? I can get a warrenty plus theft and spillage thing for about the same price as AppleCare, so I'm considering that instead as AppleCare doesn't cover that.
Actually, since it's a 2010 Medio, can I even buy AppleCare anymore?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 11, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D. Ebdrup posted:

Looking at some benchmarks, I'm guessing the big reason for the increase in performance is because of the upped memory speed along with faster FSB? Because there's almost double performance from a entry-level 2010 macbook pro to a entry-level 2011.
Going from a 13" 2010 to a 13" 2011 is a jump of two cpu architectures. You skip the first gen i5 and go to the second gen i5.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I keep bouncing between getting the 13" MBA and the 13" MBP both of them in their I7 config's

I think for the same price as the MBA upgraded I can get the MBP With an SSD..

I'm going to be using this primarily for design work, and coding via SSH, with the possibility of playing Diablo 3 but also using it to control Serato Scratch Live and work in Abelton Live

Harddrive space isn't really a concern since I use the cloud like crazy ..

I will be lugging it between my place and the club a bit ...

Any suggestions?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Going from a 13" 2010 to a 13" 2011 is a jump of two cpu architectures. You skip the first gen i5 and go to the second gen i5.

Mine's a 15" though, it's quite a bit faster apparently. I'm not looking at upgrading now anyway, can't afford it (well, I can - but the money I have in my account are savings towards a new apartment + hopefully 6 months lease).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr Man posted:

I keep bouncing between getting the 13" MBA and the 13" MBP both of them in their I7 config's

I think for the same price as the MBA upgraded I can get the MBP With an SSD..

I'm going to be using this primarily for design work, and coding via SSH, with the possibility of playing Diablo 3 but also using it to control Serato Scratch Live and work in Abelton Live

Harddrive space isn't really a concern since I use the cloud like crazy ..

I will be lugging it between my place and the club a bit ...

Any suggestions?

Do you need 8GB RAM? Can you live with 1280x800? Do you need Firewire? Do you need an optical drive? Those questions decide if you should get the Air or the Pro.

You already said you don't care about the HD space, and you can always get a USB ethernet adapter (but you'll only have one port left)

If you're going to plug into an external monitor at home, and don't mind having 5 hours of battery life instead of 7, get the 11" (you will lose the SD card slot if you care about it)
. It's a better 'to go' machine than either 13".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

Mine's a 15" though, it's quite a bit faster apparently. I'm not looking at upgrading now anyway, can't afford it (well, I can - but the money I have in my account are savings towards a new apartment + hopefully 6 months lease).

Replace the computer when it becomes a hindrance to your day-to-day work. The 2011 Pro will destroy a 2010 Pro, and is about twice as fast as the old C2D Pro.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do you need 8GB RAM? Can you live with 1280x800? Do you need Firewire? Do you need an optical drive? Those questions decide if you should get the Air or the Pro.

You already said you don't care about the HD space, and you can always get a USB ethernet adapter (but you'll only have one port left)

If you're going to plug into an external monitor at home, and don't mind having 5 hours of battery life instead of 7, get the 11" (you will lose the SD card slot if you care about it)
. It's a better 'to go' machine than either 13".

Yeah there's no way I'll get an 11" machine.. 15" is too big, so 13" is perfect.

So to answer your questions;

1.) Yes I can 2.) Ahahaa no 3.) Possibly however burning disk's can be done via my HTPC.

I don't like external monitors, I need to be portable, as I work and live internationally.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mr Man posted:

Mr Man posted:

Yeah there's no way I'll get an 11" machine.. 15" is too big, so 13" is perfect.

Working on a respectably-sized Live set at 1280x800 (13" MBP) would make me claustrophobic. 13" Air has the same res as the current 15" MBP. I'd say you'd be golden with that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just a quick cheer for Apple warranty service....

Took my 27" 2009 iMac in last night at about 730, the screen had some odd dark spots on it. They did some of the standard stuff, even though it made no sense, like resetting the PRAM, but eventually it got checked in for service to have the panel replaced.

They left me a voicemail this morning at 9AM saying it was done. They had the machine about 14 hours. $604 repair, covered under Applecare.

Completely amazing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Just a quick cheer for Apple warranty service....

Took my 27" 2009 iMac in last night at about 730, the screen had some odd dark spots on it. They did some of the standard stuff, even though it made no sense, like resetting the PRAM, but eventually it got checked in for service to have the panel replaced.

They left me a voicemail this morning at 9AM saying it was done. They had the machine about 14 hours. $604 repair, covered under Applecare.

Completely amazing.

Was it in the upper right side of the screen by chance?

My 2009 iMac has a bad dvd drive and dust under the screen. I missed the Applecare purchase window too :(

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Mine's doing this. I'm glad to hear they were able to do the swap so quickly. It's not a particularly difficult job, but it's nice that they had the part on hand. I'll probably take mine apart again to put the stock drive in there before I get it serviced.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What the hell is going on here? My University just got a bunch of brand new thunderbolt iMacs in the summer and today I hopped on one that had some... Issues...

The purple lines in the finder window were causes by dragging the window around, where little green lines like | | that you can see all over the screen happened to be. I thought it was a screen issue until I realized it shows up on a screenshot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What do I need to plug a pc into the iMac (2011) for use as a display?

(thanks for inspiring me with your fancy ideas swsp)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Handen posted:

What the hell is going on here? My University just got a bunch of brand new thunderbolt iMacs in the summer and today I hopped on one that had some... Issues...

The purple lines in the finder window were causes by dragging the window around, where little green lines like | | that you can see all over the screen happened to be. I thought it was a screen issue until I realized it shows up on a screenshot.

Looks like a hosed GPU. You should notify your Uni tech guys.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

What do I need to plug a pc into the iMac (2011) for use as a display?

(thanks for inspiring me with your fancy ideas swsp)
I don't think you can use a basic DisplayPort source with the 2011 iMac because they moved to Thunderbolt. I'd love to be proven wrong though. I believe it only accepts Thunderbolt sources now.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think you can use a basic DisplayPort source with the 2011 iMac because they moved to Thunderbolt. I'd love to be proven wrong though. I believe it only accepts Thunderbolt sources now.
This is correct. While it will communicate with Mini-DisplayPort monitors while running normally, the iMac in Target Display Mode is a Thunderbolt-only device.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

This is correct. While it will communicate with Mini-DisplayPort monitors while running normally, the iMac in Target Display Mode is a Thunderbolt-only device.

Do they make a MiniDP -> TB converter box for like $200?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do they make a MiniDP -> TB converter box for like $200?
It shouldn't take an active converter, since TB is just an enhancement of the DP spec. I'll be curious to see what happens when we have some TB sources other than Macs, because I have a feeling this is Apple not wanting you to plug in non-Apple sources to their poo poo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

My 2009 iMac has a bad dvd drive and dust under the screen. I missed the Applecare purchase window too :(

It might be kind of hard to see, I took an iPhone pic just for documentation. The big dark splotch in the middle is just the camera vs. the LCD. It was like a bizarre stripe. It actually carried a bit further in both directions, but too faint to pick up on the camera.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It shouldn't take an active converter, since TB is just an enhancement of the DP spec. I'll be curious to see what happens when we have some TB sources other than Macs, because I have a feeling this is Apple not wanting you to plug in non-Apple sources to their poo poo.

This is the only thing that keeps me from selling and upgrading, gotta have a straight MDP in, no bullshit.

Here's a pic of the splotches, kind of hard to see:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Looks like a hosed GPU. You should notify your Uni tech guys.

Not snarky or anything: Why would GPU issues show up in a screenshot?