Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hardcore really does little for the difficulty, it's more an immersion thing in my opinion. Well, sort of - the game is incredibly easy on Softcore, and it becomes slightly less so.
Hardcore with my (JSawyer) mod becomes pretty gnarly because, in addition to having significantly less HP, the player also gains less HP back from Doctor's Bags. Stims have weight and drop much less frequently (also usually are "expired" variants). I went into NCRCF's admin building and had to finish the fight and walk out with five limbs crippled.

Any time I find Hydra it's like I hit the jackpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

rope kid posted:

Hardcore with my (JSawyer) mod becomes pretty gnarly because, in addition to having significantly less HP, the player also gains less HP back from Doctor's Bags. Stims have weight and drop much less frequently (also usually are "expired" variants). I went into NCRCF's admin building and had to finish the fight and walk out with five limbs crippled.

Agreed on that. My previous opinions about wanting a mod where ammo is more scarce and food doesn't heal are no longer relevant, now that I've tried out your mod. Ammo scarcity doesn't matter, because I can't carry everything I find anyways. Food healing isn't such a big deal either, since it's also quite heavy and not terribly effective anyways.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 166 days!
What's with all the FO3 hate? It's an amazing game, is it just that NV is so much better?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Brandy Alexander posted:

What's with all the FO3 hate? It's an amazing game, is it just that NV is so much better?

I had an absolute blast with FO3 and played it almost every night for probably a year straight. The plot was laughably bad, but once you went through that you could ignore it and just dick around in the best sandbox ever.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Brandy Alexander posted:

Yeah, pretty much. NV did everything better than FO3 did. I liked FO3 enough to beat it, but after playing NV I could never go back to FO3.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Brandy Alexander posted:

Fallout 3 is the Deus Ex: Invisible War to New Vegas Deus Ex.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bought FO3 soon after release and I liked it alright at the time. It is in all honesty, though, only a mediocre game. It's strength lies in exploration and character customisation (and mods, I guess). NV still suffers from a silly engine and bad approaches to balancing but the writing is simply so much better that the game becomes genuinely enjoyable.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone please, PLEASE tell me the purpose of blood packs? I thought they added a permanent 1hp or something but does it literally just heal 1hp?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

rope kid posted:

A small but vocal number of users on the Bethesda boards and my Formspring account insisted that Red Glare was useless. :pwn:

I ran into Lonesome Road at level 6ish on my explosives character and after struggling to kill the Marked Men to get to Red Glare, I one shot the group that spawns afterwards with a single rocket :stare:

rope kid posted:

I really like the change list but I have my Masters finals coming up and haven't played in a while :unsmith:

The best part of the Fallout games, in my opinion, is the scrabbling to survive. It's part of why I like Dead Money so much (and why I went into Honest Hearts last time completely naked :v:*)

Well, that and getting Sniper and the Bozar.

*You get some stuff right at the start, but you actually have to use the resources the valley gives you in order to survive (especially with difficulty mods) which is (duh) thematically relevant. Really good fun.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 11, 2012

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Megadace posted:

Can someone please, PLEASE tell me the purpose of blood packs? I thought they added a permanent 1hp or something but does it literally just heal 1hp?

They heal more with a perk you can get by completing a sidequest.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

chelsea clinton posted:

NV still suffers from a silly engine and bad approaches to balancing but the writing is simply so much better that the game becomes genuinely enjoyable.

The difference in writing quality can't be stressed enough. It was shortly after I returned to Three Dog and was talking about Mah Daddy! that I decided I had enough of the game. The dialogue options were basically (to paraphrase) "Tell me about my Dad I'm so worried about him!", "Just tell me about my dad already jerk" and "I don't care about you or my dad because I'm all evil or indifferent or something! Bwahahahaha..."

I slogged my way to the next main story area, but that was about all I could take. I made it to the outside of the big ship, couldn't find a way on-board (seriously), and then uninstalled it. I think it was 6 hours total playtime, and I don't really have a desire to go back. I've put in 160 hours with New Vegas, and I'll probably end up going back for more.

But Fallout 3... I mean, the assets are well-done, the music selection is amazing and suits the style and setting perfectly, and the combat's nearly identical to New Vegas (as in it's tolerable), but something's just not right about it. I might have loved it had I played it when it first came out, but there's absolutely no going back now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I guess is sort of an improvement in NV is that you ALWAYS have the option of killing someone in conversation if the game is going to let you do it. There's always some variation of "[Fight] gently caress you, I'm the Courier, I'm tired of this long and boring conversation!" in a lot of the plot-centric discussins, like when you're talking to Benny at the Tops, or even talking to Vulpes and the rest of Caesar's Top Football League and their rabid dog mascots in Nipton.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Tewratomeh posted:

The difference in writing quality can't be stressed enough. It was shortly after I returned to Three Dog and was talking about Mah Daddy! that I decided I had enough of the game. The dialogue options were basically (to paraphrase) "Tell me about my Dad I'm so worried about him!", "Just tell me about my dad already jerk" and "I don't care about you or my dad because I'm all evil or indifferent or something! Bwahahahaha..."

I slogged my way to the next main story area, but that was about all I could take. I made it to the outside of the big ship, couldn't find a way on-board (seriously), and then uninstalled it. I think it was 6 hours total playtime, and I don't really have a desire to go back. I've put in 160 hours with New Vegas, and I'll probably end up going back for more.

But Fallout 3... I mean, the assets are well-done, the music selection is amazing and suits the style and setting perfectly, and the combat's nearly identical to New Vegas (as in it's tolerable), but something's just not right about it. I might have loved it had I played it when it first came out, but there's absolutely no going back now.

There seems to me to be a total lack of any kind of personality or charm in the Bethesda games I've played (Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim (yeah I know I missed out on Morrowind)). It's uncanny, actually, and it basically killed my desire to play Skyrim. There's no compelling characters, the storyline's interesting but how it plays out is a total wash...

There's just something about those games that's totally dead inside. I don't know.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Dush posted:

There seems to me to be a total lack of any kind of personality or charm in the Bethesda games I've played (Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim (yeah I know I missed out on Morrowind)). It's uncanny, actually, and it basically killed my desire to play Skyrim. There's no compelling characters, the storyline's interesting but how it plays out is a total wash...

There's just something about those games that's totally dead inside. I don't know.

I followed the development of New Vegas really closely. I'd logged hundreds of hours loving around in Fallout 3 as if it were a sandbox game and that is where I placed my value for it. When New Vegas finally arrived I put in about 24 hours and was ultimately displeased to find there was a pretty well balanced RPG with a story and lots of dialogue under the veneer of a Bethesda Fallout game. I put it away for ages, until just a few months before Skyrim was officially announced. I started to enjoy it, got to know the environment and the story, and it all felt right..

Then I played Skyrim. If only I had put off playing New Vegas for two or three months I probably would have been able to enjoy both of them. But, having tasted the sweet nectar of the Mojave, something about the frozen norths of Skyrim just didn't seem that appealing..

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I'm coming back to NV now, because even though Skyrim is an amazingly fleshed-out world, the story itself is just so empty and stupid. My save bugged out half way through, and I couldn't bear the thought of having to slog through the story again so I just gave up. Bethesda should just merge with Obsidian and let them both do what they're good at.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 166 days!
How the gently caress do i get rid of the pimp boy 3billion oh god what have i done

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Brandy Alexander posted:

How the gently caress do i get rid of the pimp boy 3billion oh god what have i done

Talk to whichever one of Mick and Ralph you got it from.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Brandy Alexander posted:

Talk to Mick again (or was it Ralph?) and he has a dialogue choice to let you swap it out (but why would you want to?).

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...

Brandy Alexander posted:

I think you can swap between them just by talking to the dude who gives it to you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brandy Alexander posted:

Believe it or not, I literally just found out this thing existed earlier today while reading the RobCo wiki article (I also didn't know you could side with the Omertà bosses).

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 166 days!
4 replies within 2 minutes I love this thread. thanks guys!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I loved Fallout 3 because Gameplay>Story for me, and at the time it really scratched that FPS+RPG itch. I would still recommend it to anyone new to the franchise or to RPGs in general.

That said, I couldn't go back to it now since FNV improved on everything so much. While F03 gave me fun memories of exploring the Wasteland and fighting raiders & mutants, FNV has that PLUS characters and stories I'll never forget. It actually feels like it was written for adults.

My dream is that Bethesda lets Obsidian make Fallout 4... or even axes their "no prequels" rule and lets OE just reboot the whole series. And New Vegas was a "Wouldn't it be cool if... Nah it'll never happen" kind of deal, so I feel I can dare to dream big.

Roman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 12, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Pimpboy 3-Billion owns so hard, and if you're playing a female you hold it at an angle like a boss :c00l:

It also stays permanently lit as if the flashlight's on, but doesn't affect your sneaking skill. Sneaking around Dead Money with a giant lit up hunk of gold metal on your arm is the best thing.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
I won Fallout 3 from Steamgifts a while back, and I feel a little guilty. now that I've put some time into NV, I just can't bring myself to go back to FO3. :ohdear:

Also, I've got a bit of a problem. Whenever I head up into the northwest corner of the map, near Vault 22, New Vegas crashes. I've tried disabling all my mods, validating the files...Anyone else encountered something like this? It also occurs when heading west from the H&H Tools Factory, around where the...farm? starts. I haven't explored much in that area, so I'm not sure what that place is.

edit: Ah, it turns out it's only on this save game. Didn't happen on a new character I tcl'd up there. Is there anything I can do to 'save' my current character or am I going to need to start again?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wolfsheim posted:

The Pimpboy 3-Billion owns so hard, and if you're playing a female you hold it at an angle like a boss :c00l:

It's more like "you hold it an angle like somebody with a glitched character animation". I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be like that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Riso posted:

Fallout 3 is the Deus Ex: Invisible War to New Vegas Deus Ex.

Woah, woah there. Invisible War was unplayably bad. FO3 isn't as good as New Vegas, but I still plowed about a hundred hours into it.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Opposing Farce posted:

They heal more with a perk you can get by completing a sidequest.
...but they don't teach me to be a vampire. What a let down Obsidian.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Speaking of Pip Boys, one of the loading screen tips mentions turning the light off if you're doing stealth. I've also seen someone mention you have a flashlight, but... I've looked everywhere and haven't found either of these things. There doesn't seem to be any button on the Pip Boy itself, and the controls don't have a button for flashlight. Can anyone help with this?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It was kind of cheesy, but I liked the head vampire guy. He was taking a bunch of degenerate cannibals and giving them a purpose and a reason to exist, and in the meantime making them less dangerous to everybody else.

E: Also you could murder him for an easy early Shishkabob.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 12, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Momomo posted:

Speaking of Pip Boys, one of the loading screen tips mentions turning the light off if you're doing stealth. I've also seen someone mention you have a flashlight, but... I've looked everywhere and haven't found either of these things. There doesn't seem to be any button on the Pip Boy itself, and the controls don't have a button for flashlight. Can anyone help with this?

Hold down the Pip-Boy button for a few seconds to toggle your light.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Deleuzionist posted:

...but they don't teach me to be a vampire. What a let down Obsidian.

Those guys were in Fallout 3, which was Bethesda.
:goonsay:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Woah, woah there. Invisible War was unplayably bad. FO3 isn't as good as New Vegas, but I still plowed about a hundred hours into it.

Eh, I think this was an issue of sequence. DX came out before IW, so the let-down was coma-inducingly jarring. Gamers who played IW without DX can finish it, and then be amazed at how much better the first game was.

In terms of quality, I think the analogy fits.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fallout 3 did have pretty good assets though. I love the design of the metal doors that open up in high-tech areas, all the random bits of junk you could find.

Fallout New Vegas just made use of all that junk, quite literally, via the crafting systems. No, that isn't saying that Fallout 3 is junk--just that what was once merely for flavor, now has substance to go with it. That's why it's hard to go back.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Invisible War wasn't UNPLAYABLY bad... just mostly terrible. Few dimonds in the rough though (like the pop star holo personality that's really affable and friendly to you... then you meet the real chick and she's a bitch).

The thing that New Vegas has always had over F3 for me is that it actually FLOWED well... in F3 you're being sent hither and yon without quick travel, just to do a fetch quest. In Vegas you're following the freeways to Vegas unlocking most of the map, then when you reached vegas you ran all over the place.

Either Way, vegas will win because it's the only way I get to shoot myself in the face and loot my own body.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I tried playing FO3 again but I just couldn't force myself to give a poo poo about it. NV just has so much more to it, particularly with all the DLC. NV is an awesome stand-alone title but the way the DLC was done is just unsurpassed to my mind and took the game from being in my top 5 to potentially outright favourite alongside some rose tinted and foggy memories of Battlefield 1942. People have opinions on a couple of the DLC releases (like some people think Honest Hearts/Dead Money are the weakest DLC) but they're all way, way more interesting and value for money than any other DLC I've ever seen. Even the weaker DLC releases are awesome, it's just that the quality overall was so high.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim DLC and praying that they've got the same narrative quality that Obsidian put into their stuff, but I'm not holding my breath since the base game missed out on having a compelling plot. Then again smaller environments with tighter scripting and goals (like OWB sized play area and a single cool hub) might make it rad. Hopefully there won't be a single opportunity for me to select one God damned loving response in a conversation though. That annoyed me so much after coming from NV and having myriad options for conversation even before getting into perk responses and skill check stuff.

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 12, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I've done Old World Blues and Honest Hearts, and at the end of Honest Hearts, my reaction was "...huh?" It felt like I finished it almost as soon as I got there.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Pope Guilty posted:

I've done Old World Blues and Honest Hearts, and at the end of Honest Hearts, my reaction was "...huh?" It felt like I finished it almost as soon as I got there.

I dicked around with Honest Hearts for ages. Sis you follow up the survivalist and poo poo? There was a fair bit to do exploration wise. I admit it's one of the DLCs I'm less keen to replay.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Half way through OWB and just had an amazing moment:

I was just exploring around the Think Tank and decided to walk along one of the many pipes. Right then Dala came on the loudspeaker to say: "There is no standing on the green pipe; if you are on a green pipe..." I was a little freaked out (WTF she can see me?!) and started looking around, while still running along the pipe. Just as she finished the sentence "...please leave now" I stepped on a frag mine, got blown 10 feet into the air, and all of my limbs flew away in different directions.

This. Game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The insurmountable waist-high fence is enforced by LAW. And by deadly frag mines.

Seriously, most of the time frag mines piss me off, but putting them on the one thing they knew players would use as a shortcut around Big Mountain, and even having Dala saying over the loudspeaker not to use them? Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Fallout 3 doesn't have This Machine, so NV is obviously better. I love that gun.