Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Hirams Bitch posted:

I mean I guess technically this is true.

I bought WCW Backstage Assault. I own WCW Backstage Assault. Honestly, it's been worth the money I paid for it.

At this point I should note that I paid 90 cents for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Goog posted:

I bought WCW Backstage Assault. I own WCW Backstage Assault. Honestly, it's been worth the money I paid for it.

At this point I should note that I paid 90 cents for it.

From its wikipedia page

quote:

To date, the game has sold only 200,000 copies

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I never played Backstage Assault, but I did buy a used copy of WCW Thunder at Blockbuster. After 60 agonizing minutes, I took it back because I thought it was broken or something.

I still can't believe they gave me my money back, no questions asked.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wasn't Thunder the one where you could put dudes in different stables? That was kind of sweet, nWo shirts everywhere woooooo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

In my quest to watch the entire Monday Night Wars, I am up to January 1997 right now. I find myself getting more and more bored with the Nitro... all the enhancement matches are horrible, the tag team division is almost equally as horrible. I can't stand watching the Faces of Fear, probably the only tag team from that era to never hold the tag titles. The first Souled Out was probably one of the worst PPVs I've ever seen too.

I just don't get how it beat Raw all those consecutive weeks when comparatively it was so bad. Maybe my fondness of the Raw undercard is much better knowing what those guys became.

Trust me, up until two weeks before Mania that year, Raw was worse.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

Wasn't Thunder the one where you could put dudes in different stables? That was kind of sweet, nWo shirts everywhere woooooo

That's all stables pretty much did was change the attire the wrestler was wearing. But the game was overall horrible as you had to memorize button press combinations and button mashing resulted in repeated arm bars and arm drags.

The best part of the Nitro and Thunder games were the rant videos on the Character selection screen.

Thunder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGp3KUb68Ms&feature=player_detailpage#t=130s
Nitro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjNru-rvX0&feature=related

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
God in the first video Sting looks like he couldn't give less of a poo poo, and he calls the Scorpion Death Drop the Stinger Death Drop, what in the gently caress....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raven's rant video in Thunder is pretty much a verbal summary of his career.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The best part of the Nitro and Thunder games were that button mashing would always let you escape a pin, but a submission special move was a guaranteed win. And then playing against a friend who didn't know this.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I remember renting Backstage Assault for PS1, being surprised to find it at the video store because it was about a week before the official release date, and thinking I had rented a prototype that accidentally landed in the hands of the podunk mom and pop video store on the corner in my hometown because the game was so terrible.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 12, 2012

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Astro7x posted:

That's all stables pretty much did was change the attire the wrestler was wearing.

That's all it took to be in a WCW stable! What's that? You're in the Misfits In Action? Time for some camo! What's that? You're in the flock? Time for jorts and bad tattoos!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's all it took to be in a WCW stable! What's that? You're in the Misfits In Action? Time for some camo! What's that? You're in the flock? Time for jorts and bad tattoos!

I'll have you know Stevie Ray in the nWo was COMPLETELY different than any Stevie Ray that came before or after

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Astro7x posted:

That's all stables pretty much did was change the attire the wrestler was wearing. But the game was overall horrible as you had to memorize button press combinations and button mashing resulted in repeated arm bars and arm drags.

The best part of the Nitro and Thunder games were the rant videos on the Character selection screen.

Thunder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGp3KUb68Ms&feature=player_detailpage#t=130s
Nitro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjNru-rvX0&feature=related

Oh crazy, coked up Anvil...

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is 200,000 copies of a video game sold good or bad?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

What's that? You're in the flock? Time for jorts and bad tattoos!

And flannel! Don't forget flannel.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

It's not lighting the world on fire but that's not a bomb.

And WCW was paid on a yearly or per game basis so it's not like they were living or dying on specific sales figures.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

Ehh... it's bad, but it's not a complete failure. It probably turned a bit of a profit.

For comparison, WWE '12 has sold something like 700,000 copies just on PS3.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Was Kidman's gimmick when he was in the Flock that he was on heroin? Also, was Sick Boy called that because he was dopesick?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

crankdatbatman posted:

It all depends on how much it cost to develop, market and ship the game.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

For the average game these days, 1,000,000 sold is the break-even point (or so I was told by an economics professor who closely follows the video game industry), but yeah, it entirely depends on the budget of that particular game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

xK1 posted:

For the average game these days, 1,000,000 sold is the break-even point (or so I was told by an economics professor who closely follows the video game industry), but yeah, it entirely depends on the budget of that particular game.

Average = AAA Title.

Back when Backstage Assault was released, the cost to design a videogame wasn't where it is today. However, it was EA and they probably put some good resources into it. Probably did some experimental body tracking or something silly like that for a crappy WCW title. I'm betting 500,000 was a break even point and they only sold 200,000.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It was released in December 2000 for PS1/N64.
I'm sure there was a ton of recycled stuff from the previous WCW games and it was not terribly expensive.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah you can't exactly compare sales of a game from 12 years ago put out by a company on the verge of death to modern sales figures.

edit: Although, to actually compare it to something that came out at the same time, apparently Smackdown 2 sold 1.87 million copies.

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 13, 2012

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
The only good wrestling games on PSX were the Smackdown! ones.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah you can't exactly compare sales of a game from 12 years ago put out by a company on the verge of death to modern sales figures.

edit: Although, to actually compare it to something that came out at the same time, apparently Smackdown 2 sold 1.87 million copies.

ECW Hardcore Revolution sold 220,000 in the same year. With the WWF Attitude game engine. I bet Acclaim still somehow lost money.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Lone Rogue posted:

ECW Hardcore Revolution sold 220,000 in the same year. With the WWF Attitude game engine. I bet Acclaim still somehow lost money.

Name your child "Tommy Dreamer" for cash and prizes! Write it on your tombstone too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lone Rogue posted:

They somehow took WWF Attitude and made it worse.

Acclaim did not know how to make match modifiers, instead they would just give you a long list of match combinations to chose from. The match selection screen listed every single match type TWICE! Once as a normal match, and again as an elimination match.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

the_Vandal posted:

Was Kidman's gimmick when he was in the Flock that he was on heroin? Also, was Sick Boy called that because he was dopesick?

Pretty much, yeah. And while Raven wasn't particularly thrilled about Van Hammer joining the Flock, Hammer's drug problems made him a perfect fit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

the_Vandal posted:

It was implied, yes.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

All the members of The Flock sortof made sense except for Reese who was an outcast because he was really tall.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Was Saturn's problem that he randomly suplexed the poo poo out of people?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Oatgan posted:

All the members of The Flock sortof made sense except for Reese who was an outcast because he was really tall.
He use to be the Ye-Tay. That's what made him an outcast. I'd be afraid to face society too.

Bocc Kob posted:

We all know Saturn's problem :smith:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bocc Kob posted:

shameful secret love of mops.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I always liked Perry. He had such a look and made everything look painful. And he had a siren for a theme.

I want a Perry Saturn documentary. Make it happen Vince.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zChsn8__kRI

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9ddhHle9Y <--- DDP and Saturn :unsmith:

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 13, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
oh god... what the hell is wrong with Saturn. As if having Saturn tattooed across his stomach as bad enough, he got Tyson level poo poo going on with his face.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9ddhHle9Y <--- DDP and Saturn :unsmith:

Saturn is like the best dude ever. :aaa:

"Yeah, I was homeless and on meth, but then I cleaned myself up and now I play Madden. :haw:"

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Oatgan posted:

It was implied that he was filled with peanut butter.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

the_Vandal posted:

It was implied that he was filled with peanut butter.

That reminds me, there was a story in I think the old celebrity meetings thread that was in GBS where some dude talked about how Reese was, for some reason, an in-joke among him and his friends and they'd call into the WCW radio show (or internet show? something like that) and constantly pester the host about Reese/the Yeti. I wish I had the story myself.

CombineThresher posted:

Pretty much, yeah. And while Raven wasn't particularly thrilled about Van Hammer joining the Flock, Hammer's drug problems made him a perfect fit.

Hammer in the flock was hilarious because of the ridiculous attempt at grungy psuedo-goth makeup and the mesh shirt with a hole cut in front of the nipple so you could see his nipple ring.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bocc Kob posted:

Saturn is like the best dude ever. :aaa:

Pretty much. Check out his YouShoot if you haven't already - Saturn's a really honest, humble guy who was at the mercy of his addictions for a long time. I'm really glad he cleaned up his act and found some peace in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lone Rogue posted:

Average = AAA Title.

Back when Backstage Assault was released, the cost to design a videogame wasn't where it is today. However, it was EA and they probably put some good resources into it. Probably did some experimental body tracking or something silly like that for a crappy WCW title. I'm betting 500,000 was a break even point and they only sold 200,000.

Backstage Assault is just WCW Mayhem with the rings stripped out of the game. I'm pretty sure all the engine and all the character models are the same, so the initial cost of development was already taken care of.