Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

Was going to post this in the recommendation thread but this seems like a better place? I have to admit I don't really know much about industrial, much less electro-industrial, but I was wondering if any of you know of some bands that make music that's kind of like a combination of punk and industrial. Like some kind of weird combination of Killing Joke, Laibach and Big Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Atari Teenage Riot? Maybe. I dunno, I just like ATR.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

afgrunden posted:

Was going to post this in the recommendation thread but this seems like a better place? I have to admit I don't really know much about industrial, much less electro-industrial, but I was wondering if any of you know of some bands that make music that's kind of like a combination of punk and industrial. Like some kind of weird combination of Killing Joke, Laibach and Big Black.
SPK. But beware that they´re VERY punk and VERY industrial.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pigface has some of the noise and tribal elements of the bands you mentioned. They were/are more of a super group with a revolving cast of characters. However, the prominent member/founder is Martin Atkins and he did drums for Killing Joke in the early 90's.

You might check out Gub and/or fook. Gub takes your punk/noise request a bit further with Jesus Lizard's David Yow guest spotting on a few tracks. I think he shows up on one of the live albums too, but I can't be sure.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

Great news!

This is fantastic :unsmith:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

afgrunden posted:

Lard! It's Ministry with Jello Biafra!

Pailhead! It's Ministry with Ian MacKaye!

Ministry! It's Ministry with Ministry!

Left Spine Down! It's some of the newer FLA dues with some of the Black Halos dudes! Or something.

Rabbit Junk! It's one of the dudes from The Shizit and his girlfriend!

Babyland! It's Babyland!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Twiin posted:

Left Spine Down! It's some of the newer FLA dues with some of the Black Halos dudes! Or something.

I saw these guys open for ohGr. They reminded me of Orgy. Also, I think only one of the guys has worked with FLA. They did an excrementable cover of "She's Lost Control." I drank more beer and waited for the set to end.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

I saw these guys open for ohGr. They reminded me of Orgy. Also, I think only one of the guys has worked with FLA. They did an excrementable cover of "She's Lost Control." I drank more beer and waited for the set to end.

Jared and Jeremy both did some stuff with FLA, I think. I could be wrong though.

DJEldritch
Mar 17, 2008

Sometimes in life, you have to screw the root to stay on top of things and ride the crazy train to stay real.

However, if you're not careful, the root might screw you.

Twiin posted:

Jared and Jeremy both did some stuff with FLA, I think. I could be wrong though.

Jared and Jeremy are STILL working with FLA, I saw them in Vancouver twice in the last year.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
2012 festival talk!

I'm going to Resistanz and Infest, what else are people thinking of going to this year?

Resistanz doesn't actually have many bands I want to see, and has some I really don't want to see, but I've not seen Icon of Coil or ESA in quite a while and really like them both. Also, what the heck else am I doing at Easter? Infest is a given, regardless of bands. It's like a tradition now.

Maschinenfest is possible, but depends on friends getting their poo poo together.

I'd like to go to Elektroanschlag or Forms of Hands but I think I only know one person going to the former, and the latter clashes with a friend's wedding :smith: My experience of the noisier German festivals tend to be that hotels remotely near the venue get booked up really, really fast too.

Amphi has only one band I want to see that I've not seen before (Haujobb) and I think my friends who unsuccessfully try to talk me into it each year might be skipping it this time anyhow. Edit: also a Rammstein tribute band? WTF?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm playing Kinetik, so I'll be there of course. I would like to get back to Maschinenfest, but I don't know if this is going to be the year that happens. (I'd love to play it, but I'm not on the right labels to make that happen.)

Aside from that, nothing really grabs me yet.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I dunno, I might be going to Amphi. I guess I should decide already if I wanna go or not since the tickets get sold out pretty early on usually, but I just don't know. I'd def wanna see Project Pitchfork, FLA, And One, Eisbrecher, Blutengel, Front 242, DAF, Haujobb and Assemblage 23, but they really need one more something so that I'll go. Also I really have no idea if my friends are interested, so...

Maybe I'll just save my money and go see more than one OOMPH! show in autumn :haw:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Thank god someone else from the thread is going to Resistanz this year. Last year it kicked the crap out of Infest, you'll have a great time. We should try to find each other Danger - Ocotopus!

I might go to Infest, depends on the bands that get announced, I've fallen out of love with the event in recent years so they have to tempt me to go.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh, that's neat - VNV Nation is playing here in Finland in April. I might have to go even though I've never really bothered to listen to them that much (not a huge fan of Ronan's voice, I'm afraid), but I understand they're pretty kickass live. Also it's not often we get these kind of artists here, anyway, so I gotta take what I can.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 11, 2012

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Oh, that's neat - VNV Nation is playing here in Finland in April. I might have to go even though I've never really bothered to listen to them that much (not a huge fan of Ronan's voice, I'm afraid), but I understand they're pretty kickass live. Also it's not often we get these kind of artists here, anyway, so I gotta take what I can.
I've seen them a few times live and they always put on a good show.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The best parts of VNV shows are when equipment breaks down, Ronan never fails to entertain. I think he's in the wrong business myself.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
^^ so true.
Does anyone know what his day job is? At least, I think they still have day jobs outside of music.

VNV always puts on an entertaining show. I find it funny every time when he makes fun of people for just standing with how 'this fat guy' can move on stage.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
His vocals aren't the greatest live but they do put on an entertaining show. The set list is usually really good. They're aware of the 3-4 really solid tracks on the recent albums and just play those.

I just recently saw them in Philly and they ended the night with Perpetual - drawing out the ending for what seemed like 10 minutes. That was really annoying.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Finally some Laibach news (again)

quote:

WE COME IN PEACE

A spring and summer tour is starting in April 2012, featuring Laibach live, presenting and promoting the science fiction dark comedy, film „Iron Sky“.

Laibach has composed the soundtrack for this film and will perform selected songs from it live in concert, along with other material including some preview songs from their two forthcoming albums and a set of classic Laibach songs spanning from the early 80’s to today

How many loving albums are there gonna be :psyduck: I mean, if those "two forthcoming albums" aren't Volkswagner and Laibach Revisited, what are they? I remember someone here meeting with Knez or someone else from Laibach and hearing that they also had yet another album, a "normal Laibach album" or something along those lines in the works as well :supaburn:

PS. Also gooodddd-daaaaaammmnn I can't wait for Iron Sky and the soundtrack

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 23, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

HOT NSK ACTION

That's so awesome. Happy I'm going to get to see them again too!

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Any of you stompy types out in the Bay Area? I need more introduction to the local scene.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Finally some Laibach news (again)

How many loving albums are there gonna be :psyduck: I mean, if those "two forthcoming albums" aren't Volkswagner and Laibach Revisited, what are they? I remember someone here meeting with Knez or someone else from Laibach and hearing that they also had yet another album, a "normal Laibach album" or something along those lines in the works as well :supaburn:

PS. Also gooodddd-daaaaaammmnn I can't wait for Iron Sky and the soundtrack
Goddammit Laibach come back to America!!!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

somethingwicked posted:

Here's to 2012 and Revelations by Mind.in.a.Box :woop:

So it's out, and I'm gonna say, it's another solid album. Listened to the whole thing twice over so far, and Cause and Effect and Control have kinda grown on me.

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
Anybody else get the new 32crash album? I forgot it had came out in october and finally listened to it earlier. It runs kind of long like the first album but it's still pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking but whatever. It's a decent enough substitute while Front 242 figure out if they're ever gonna make a new one. I'd say check it out if you like earlier Front stuff.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Phoenixan posted:

So it's out, and I'm gonna say, it's another solid album. Listened to the whole thing twice over so far, and Cause and Effect and Control have kinda grown on me.

Control is by far my favorite track on the new album. It is indeed a solid album, but it's definitely not up there with Crossroads. I think the first half of the album is really good, but it starts to fizzle out for me a bit after Fragments.

That being said, I keep listening to it and it's been growing on me with each listen. It's not as stupid awesome as I was hoping, but I'm enjoying it and it's great to hear some new material (keep in mind I have a huge boner for MIAB). In the past I've blown off certain tracks only to come back to them later and realize they're awesome. I think his THYX side project is slated for a spring release (April or so). More to look forward to :woop:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Waiting to hear it until I have a physical copy in my hands.

I have been buying music on iTunes for a while, but still buy albums of my absolute favourite bands.

That said, I think I'm going to quit iTunes and do everything in my power to get albums from bands/labels directly. Preferably digitally.

I guess I wasn't really into them at the time, but I wish I'd bought the Mesh album on a USB key when they were in town.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm convinced that USB keys or something similar are the data storage format of the future, but that may be merely wishful thinking.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm convinced that USB keys or something similar are the data storage format of the future, but that may be merely wishful thinking.

Too expensive. I can press a thousand CDs for a buck a pop. My friend just paid $1500 for a run of 150 fancy looking 2GB USB sticks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Twiin posted:

Too expensive. I can press a thousand CDs for a buck a pop. My friend just paid $1500 for a run of 150 fancy looking 2GB USB sticks.

That's a very small number to get produced, though.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

That's a very small number to get produced, though.

That's kind of the point. $1500 isn't a small number, though. For $1500 I can either get 1000 CDs and some shirts/posters/stickers/etc, or 150 nice USB keys.

Until USB storage comes down in cost, it's not really feasible for smaller artists (which almost all industrial artists are).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My point was really more that if you're getting 150 of something produced, you're getting the highest unit prices you're going to pay for mass production.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

My point was really more that if you're getting 150 of something produced, you're getting the highest unit prices you're going to pay for mass production.

Totally true. But it doesn't change the problem with artists using the format.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pope Guilty posted:

I've never produced a record (or music usb disk) before, but I bet the initial constraint is the money: "I have $1,500; what are my options?" and Larry's waxworks says well, I can do you 1,000 discs with inserts and Bob's USB hut says 150 keys, preloaded.

If you were willing to get blank usb disks fabricated with your graphics and hump the data yourself, you'd probably get a better dead, but goddamn that's some grunt work.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Waiting to hear it until I have a physical copy in my hands.

I have been buying music on iTunes for a while, but still buy albums of my absolute favourite bands.

That said, I think I'm going to quit iTunes and do everything in my power to get albums from bands/labels directly. Preferably digitally.

I guess I wasn't really into them at the time, but I wish I'd bought the Mesh album on a USB key when they were in town.

I have the same mindset, for my favorite bands.

I had pre-ordered a physical copy from Metropolis, and used a VPN to purchase it digitally from amazon.co.uk on the 20th because I'm impatient. I have no qualms buying their album twice (plus the physical copy usually comes with some kind of digital goodie).

Metropolis has a DRM free digital store. I hope other labels are able to follow suit.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

somethingwicked posted:

Metropolis has a DRM free digital store. I hope other labels are able to follow suit.

Ant-Zen seem to have recently started selling their new releases through Bandcamp.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Alfa Matrix are having a sale, looks like they're getting rid of old stock. 3 CDs for 30 euros or 2 special editions for 40 euros, shipping included.

http://www.alfa-matrix.com/alfa-matrix-sales.php

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

cyberia posted:

Alfa Matrix are having a sale, looks like they're getting rid of old stock. 3 CDs for 30 euros or 2 special editions for 40 euros, shipping included.

http://www.alfa-matrix.com/alfa-matrix-sales.php

I'm incredibly tempted by some of their comps but I have no idea how any that translates into dollars or how to order from them as somebody who only has dollars.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
You can use XE.com to do currency conversions to see if it's worth buying and then pay by PayPal who will convert your puny dollars into mighty Euros automatically.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does Orgy belong in here? They are touring again! and will be in Denver Feb 22. I'm excited! But looking at the wiki page, looks like there was an infight and the original lineup broke up. Not sure if I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Orgy fits, Candyass will always own.

So after the police took and lost my laptop I finally got another one, started getting back into the swing of things making music after months of inactivity. I got exactly one rough test vocal of a chorus done before a SWAT team pulled the windows off the front of the house and made everyone vacate with guns drawn and all: http://tindeck.com/listen/tbwg I successfully hid from them last time at a warehouse, I just didn't count on being asleep this time

Took another two weeks to track down another power cord for the laptop since everything in the house was forfeit. Only reason I still have this is because it went right under my coat when I heard the angry fist of god drilling the wall off, but I have a sound room at the library booked this week so I can at least try and get a song actually done.

Bring it on world, even if it takes a million years you ain't stopping me from leaving my mark on it :black101: