Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Wool regrowth on sheep, for one.

Yes, but really that has only been an issue since 1.8 when sheep no longer spawned infinity(or at least spawned at a rate you could easily just find new ones).

But the others?
-Bow Enchantments: Neat, but it doesn't seem that any new enchantments were added for bows, just the regular ones from swords. Bit disappointing as there could have been a lot of neat effects: explosive, lightning, torch, rope.
-Golden Apples: Nice to see the price reduced, but with how rare apples are dropped, it is still better to use health pots.
-New Languages: Nice for the non English speakers, could have been implemented without breaking mods.
-Biome color transitions: Having taken a look at this, I am disappointed, the blending is only 3 blocks at most from what I've seen and depending on the biome layout, it creates odd terrain spotting.
-Spawn Eggs: Not sure why a whole new method of spawning mobs had to be added, could have given old spawners in creative and maybe fixed them for SMP while working on the code. Seems like this is just a reference to a joke Notch made about making all mobs lay eggs.
-Removed collision box from ladders: Still not sure why this was an issue, but whatever.

Really, this release was really kind of weak, especially for being the first patch after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

Yes, but really that has only been an issue since 1.8 when sheep no longer spawned infinity(or at least spawned at a rate you could easily just find new ones).
People have been asking about and for sheep wool regrowth since InDev.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, people have been asking for a lot of things, but sheep not regrowing wool hasn't been more than an inconvenience SINCE 1.8, before then it was a bit bothersome, but you were drowning in mobs then.

Whatever, I think this patch is silly, poorly timed and low effort, not gonna argue about it anymore. :v:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Vib Rib posted:

People have been asking about and for sheep wool regrowth since InDev.

Fair enough, I hadn't picked up that sheeps not regrowing wool was such a big deal.

Personally I'd rather have seen bug fixing, streamlining of the code and such things, if Jeb had to push out a new version.
I still have confidence in Jeb, though, so it could happen:unsmith:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

In a seed i'm playing on a friends server, we have yet to find a snow biome. Do these exist? I've found tons of areas with fir trees, but no snow on the ground.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Iacen posted:

Personally I'd rather have seen bug fixing, streamlining of the code and such things, if Jeb had to push out a new version.
Yeah, I agree that I would have liked to see bigger fixes too, but it had been over a month and a half and I don't think "but mods" is a very good reason to push updates back anyway. The long delay between updates meant most mods have stabilized at this point anyway, so if like me you have a mod setup you enjoy you can continue playing it unhindered while new versions are being worked on.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

In a seed i'm playing on a friends server, we have yet to find a snow biome. Do these exist? I've found tons of areas with fir trees, but no snow on the ground.

There is a snow biome somewhere, but it may be a hojillion blocks away, or even on another continent. I've got the same issue with my singleplayer world, but since I've only been playing multiplayer for a while, I don't really care.

If you've not updated to 1.1 yet, I'd suggest geting Rei's minimap and just running around like an idiot with it zoomed out to its furthest level until you spot some snow.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Doctor Butts posted:

The pine forests did not get snow in the 1.0 release, but when I updated to 1.1, that changed.

There is a flattish snow biome with regular trees too. My worlds tend to lack deserts.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

How long have generated towns had chests in them? Just found one with multiple pieces of iron armour, an iron pick and some obsidian.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Bellend Sebastian posted:

How long have generated towns had chests in them? Just found one with multiple pieces of iron armour, an iron pick and some obsidian.

It's one of the new things in this update.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So if I update to 1.1, will these changes affect my current game, or will I have to roll a new seed?

What I really want are new crafting recipes. I could ramble off a list of like 50 ideas for new recipes for this game right now without even thinking about it. Are there just going to be no more items added to the game?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Jamesman posted:

So if I update to 1.1, will these changes affect my current game, or will I have to roll a new seed?
Currently existing objects won't change, however; you'll get the new recipes and such.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Iacen posted:

I was going to ask mod makers if there's any semblance of mod API hooks getting dropped into the code yet. Evidence that it has at least been started would be nice.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

fondue posted:

Currently existing objects won't change, however; you'll get the new recipes and such.

Well that sucks. I would really like to have regrowing wool and towns with chests in this current game.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Well that sucks. I would really like to have regrowing wool and towns with chests in this current game.

Your wool should regrow, but no actual blocks in any generated chunk will change, hence the reason for there not being chests in the towns you're already generated. New towns, though, should have chests in them. (Similarly, since it doesn't actually change the blocks, the new colorations for blocks should be applied, etc.)

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I like this patch. It's pretty obvious that Jeb did it too, since everything in it is actually kind of neat/useful. Yeah, mods and stuff, but you can still keep an old version of Minecraft for that for now. And knowing Jeb, we'll actually get that API sometime or another.

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ
Anyone kept their 1.0 jar backup? I accidentally updated without backing up and now I can't get on the multilayer server I play on.

Cheers!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

paberu posted:

Anyone kept their 1.0 jar backup? I accidentally updated without backing up and now I can't get on the multilayer server I play on.

Cheers!

You can't give out the jar. It's considered files. You'll have to wait until the minecraft nostalgia is updated.

But hey, we've been asking for wool forever. It's totally worth the mod community dying for another 2 months and having to click no to updates every loving time the game launches.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

But hey, we've been asking for wool forever. It's totally worth the mod community dying for another 2 months and having to click no to updates every loving time the game launches.
Should he just run a daily poll every time he adds a feature to check with the community if it's okay to patch yet, then? At what point does "No! Two months wasn't long enough, we need to see if there will be another buildcraft patch!" finally become "all right, you can add these features officially now."?

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
Oh huh Superflat means you spawn on grass at y=5, not at sea level where you can dig out mines below and build a perfectly flat metropolis up top on survival. Instead you get slimes everywhere with nary a tree in sight. Thanks for the cool new world option, fellas.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
And there's nothing but dirt with the exception of any villages you may get lucky to spawn

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Should he just run a daily poll every time he adds a feature to check with the community if it's okay to patch yet, then? At what point does "No! Two months wasn't long enough, we need to see if there will be another buildcraft patch!" finally become "all right, you can add these features officially now."?

Maybe he could "accidentally" leave the code unobfuscated and give up the pretense that it means anything at this point.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Vib Rib posted:

An option to disable the "There is a new version do you want to update?" prompt, or make it auto-dismiss itself after 5 seconds when you start the game would be nice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

Oh huh Superflat means you spawn on grass at y=5, not at sea level where you can dig out mines below and build a perfectly flat metropolis up top on survival. Instead you get slimes everywhere with nary a tree in sight. Thanks for the cool new world option, fellas.

Wow, I was wondering why slimes were on the surface in that screenshot. Thought he was just messing around with spawning, not actually setting the terrain to generate that low. Why would you do that?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Terrain that has already been generated (i.e. you walked close to it and the server has created all the blocks already) will remain unchanged except for the biome blending which, as discussed earlier, is just a color filter placed on the blocks and not actually new blocks.

If you want to see towns with chests you need to walk to a new place, and let the new terrain generator generate new terrain. Again, old terrain (should) remain untouched.

Mechanics such as wool regrowing and potion brewing speeds are universally applied and should happen to every sheep and potion stand, no matter when it was created.

Jamesman, with such cute questions. :allears:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Internet Kraken posted:

Thought he was just messing around with spawning, not actually setting the terrain to generate that low. Why would you do that?

So that you can play with the whole height of the map -- bedrock to sky -- and build buildings that are like three times taller than you were able to before.

Essentially, the laziest possible way to fake raising the height max.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

Seems to me like superflat was meant mainly for creative, since it would make for an incredibly boring overworld in survival. Slimes spawning is slightly odd, but it's no big deal. I'm just glad that it doesn't have the usual black fog that you get when near bedrock.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

Laser Spider posted:

Seems to me like superflat was meant mainly for creative, since it would make for an incredibly boring overworld in survival. Slimes spawning is slightly odd, but it's no big deal. I'm just glad that it doesn't have the usual black fog that you get when near bedrock.

I love that black fog and wish it appeared in certain biomes in the overworld as weather.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Slickdrac posted:

And there's nothing but dirt with the exception of any villages you may get lucky to spawn

Which is why it makes for a hilarious super-survival gamemode.

Hear me out on this one. You create a superflat world, leaving villages on, and then you play in survival/hardcore mode. Your task is then to make it to the nearest village before nightfall. Once there you can hide out in the buildings, and harvest them for resources. Planks to make workbenches, and then picks, then swords. Once you've taken all that you can, abandon the place and move onto the next one.

Seems like it'd be an interesting diversion in multiplayer, at least. Especially if you had the right texture pack.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vertigus posted:

Maybe he could "accidentally" leave the code unobfuscated and give up the pretense that it means anything at this point.
They should have done this months ago, but hey, better late than never right?
An API may be a long way off still but even if we could get this much it would be such a big step in the right direction.

BrightGreenLine posted:

An option to disable the "There is a new version do you want to update?" prompt, or make it auto-dismiss itself after 5 seconds when you start the game would be nice.
That would be really nice. Until that becomes an official option though, you can always just back up your minecraft.jar (a good idea anyway), then update, and paste your old .jar over your new one. It won't ask you anymore because according to the version file you're all up to date.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if Jeb and whoever else is working on the code (Maybe nobody else?) isn't putting significant time into an API in addition to whatever other crap they want to add/change/break then something is horribly wrong. I've been willing to tolerate sloppy/buggy/semi-random/infrequent updates from a tiny indie developer like Mojang was, but come on, they need to get their act together and actually set and complete goals in a timely fashion because now it's just getting irritating.

I do applaud Mojang for adding in some quite interesting things, I'd just like them to actually finish them and actually deliver on their major promises, for example, a mod API that doesn't seem like it was thrown together at the last minute.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

messagemode1 posted:

Jamesman, with such cute questions. :allears:

Well I don't know. I figured the brewing time and recipe stuff would be universal, but I didn't know if the wool and towns thing were locked in with the seed generation.

I just got the game a week or so before the full release. All I hear is how poo poo the code is and how badly they handle updates. I don't know what to expect when they add poo poo. :(

And I still want new crafting items.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Anyone have a seed where you start on a mushroom biome? Ideally you wouldn't be even close to any other biomes, but I'm willing to accept otherwise.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sudoku posted:

Anyone have a seed where you start on a mushroom biome? Ideally you wouldn't be even close to any other biomes, but I'm willing to accept otherwise.

I know you can just use AMIDST to find an appropriate island and move yourself there. At that point you can then just change the world spawn to there with MCedit.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I just loaded into my 1.1 updated server on TOP of the world in the nether, how do I fix this?

I'm at 127 on the Z.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BitBasher posted:

I just loaded into my 1.1 updated server on TOP of the world in the nether, how do I fix this?

I'm at 127 on the Z.

Get an admin to teleport you or kill you.

A Fantastic Robot
Nov 2, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with setting up their own smp server? I've got one set up, but for some reason I can't connect to it using the external IP. I've forwarded the proper ports and make an exception in my firewall, but it still doesn't work.

I'm running the server with MineOS crux inside a virtual machine in Ubuntu Server. I set one up before in a similar fashion on a desktop pc almost a year ago and didn't have any problems.

Is there some sort of bug with the server program, or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Nevermind. The problem was that I was trying to connect using my external IP from within my network. I asked a friend to try it and he could connect just fine.

A Fantastic Robot fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 14, 2012

Game Overman
May 23, 2004
under the radar

Sudoku posted:

I don't think this is exactly what you want, but here: -816495952707527288
(mushroom biome in the ocean, 1.1)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, look, the login server is down and I can't play multiplayer games.

And it still says DRM-free on the purchase page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. Fuuuuuuck.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 13, 2012