Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
To the lad who left the bike unlocked, chucking your chain on only take 30secs/1min, it's worth doing even for jumping in a shop for 2mins (if it's out of line of sight). Alarmed disc-lock is ideal for that kind of situation too.

Anyone else here got an Almax? I went for the series IV (19mm, 1.5m), and actually carry it on the bike the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Pretty sure the property owner has to call the cops though. Assuming it's not city property or something.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

_Dav posted:

Anyone else here got an Almax? I went for the series IV (19mm, 1.5m), and actually carry it on the bike the whole time.

Where on the bike do you store it? Or do you wear it like a messenger bag? Looks heavy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

_Dav posted:

To the lad who left the bike unlocked, chucking your chain on only take 30secs/1min, it's worth doing even for jumping in a shop for 2mins (if it's out of line of sight). Alarmed disc-lock is ideal for that kind of situation too.

it takes less than that to cut it. If it exits, there's a tool out there to destroy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCaDcmicXE

I have an alarmed disc lock and I stopped using it because it would go off on its own with no provocation, and that's worse than not going off at all. And besides, nobody pays any heed to alarms. I figure someone's more likely to push it over to give it a reason for the racket its making than to investigate.

If it's something worth stealing, keep it somewhere thieves won't see it/risk it. The best deterrent is having something not really worth stealing. Pega-what? Who cares, where the gixxers at?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Linedance posted:

it takes less than that to cut it. If it exits, there's a tool out there to destroy it.

That's depressing, its almost silent. at least someone with a battery angle grinder would draw attention to the thief

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

The process is pretty drawn out. The police pick it up (if they determine it to be parked illegally, which it is) and hold it while they try and contact the owner. I believe they also give you the contact information so you can attempt to get a hold of them. You're also required to post ads in a widely-circulated newspaper of the city the vehicle was parked in. After 90 days, if you can prove that you've been trying to locate the owner, they'll title it in your name after you pay the storage fees and any tickets it has accumulated.

This is mostly conjecture, I've never actually talked to a police officer or DMV employee about it.

Isnt part of that process that you be the owner of the land that it was abandoned on?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finally, someone doing something new with two strokes. Hopefully they dont gently caress it up.

http://www.enduro360.com/2011/11/19/featured/new-ossa-250i-300i-enduro-models/

If its actually clean, it would be great to see someone put this tech in a street bike.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Isnt part of that process that you be the owner of the land that it was abandoned on?

I think it depends on the state, that does sound likely though.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I think it is possible to claim an abandoned vehicle that's been left on the road. A friend of mine is trying to do this with an old Honda that was parked on the street for months. It finally got notices from the city that they were going to impound the vehicle (and likely destroy it) if the owner didn't contact them/move it, so my buddy moved it and is finding his way through the paperwork. I don't know what the process is like, though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I think it is possible to claim an abandoned vehicle that's been left on the road. A friend of mine is trying to do this with an old Honda that was parked on the street for months. It finally got notices from the city that they were going to impound the vehicle (and likely destroy it) if the owner didn't contact them/move it, so my buddy moved it and is finding his way through the paperwork. I don't know what the process is like, though.

Is it legal to move someone else's car that is on public property? I feel like that's a good way to waste a bunch of money / time on paperwork just to have the owner find out and drive it off one day.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

JP Money posted:

Is it legal to move someone else's car that is on public property? I feel like that's a good way to waste a bunch of money / time on paperwork just to have the owner find out and drive it off one day.

Nope, probably not! He'll probably never be able to get in touch with the actual owner/claim it in any way and it'll just get taken away by the city! Just like what was supposed to happen originally.

It's a CM400 Hondamatic, I'm not sure what he was thinking, honestly. He does have a buddy at the DMV (DOL here) that's apparently helping him where possible, though.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Linedance posted:

Impressive, I wonder how it would hold up to proper hardened chain (rebar is the soft cheese of the steel world, and those u-locks aren't much better). I imagine it has the power, I wonder how well the blades will hold up.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Impressive, I wonder how it would hold up to proper hardened chain (rebar is the soft cheese of the steel world, and those u-locks aren't much better). I imagine it has the power, I wonder how well the blades will hold up.

Steel cable is even better than chain. Unless that (or any) cutter is never-been-used sharp it'll end up flattening out the cable instead of cutting its strands.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Boat posted:

Steel cable is even better than chain. Unless that (or any) cutter is never-been-used sharp it'll end up flattening out the cable instead of cutting its strands.

I don't know what would perform better versus that particular tool, but I do know that a hardened steel chain is much more resistant to cutting than a steel cable. `Coming from the bicycle world, the best lock you can get is this massive hardened chain made by Kryptonite. Steel cables are much more common but can easily be defeated by bolt cutters - even relatively thick ones.

I find it funny that a lot of you guys argue about the merits of those doofy disc locks on your $2,000+ motorcycles while I ride my $800 bicycle around with a 10 pound chain around my waist if I'm parking in the city. I imagine if I parked my motorcycle in a city I'd use a hardened chain around a sturdy pole with the back wheel and a u-lock conected to something else, if possible, with the front wheel or frame.

That said I've only parked my moto in the 'burbs and don't require any locks.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 13, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I don't know what would perform better versus that particular tool, but I do know that a hardened steel chain is much more resistant to cutting than a steel cable. `Coming from the bicycle world, the best lock you can get is this massive hardened chain made by Kryptonite. Steel cables are much more common but can easily be defeated by bolt cutters - even relatively thick ones.

I find it funny that a lot of you guys argue about the merits of those doofy disc locks on your $2,000+ motorcycles while I ride my $800 bicycle around with a 10 pound chain around my waist if I'm parking in the city. I imagine if I parked my motorcycle in a city I'd use a hardened chain around a sturdy pole with the back wheel and a u-lock conected to something else, if possible, with the front wheel or frame.

That said I've only parked my moto in the 'burbs and don't require any locks.

When I used to ride my mtb in the city I wouldn't carry a lock - I'd just never leave it alone. Didn't trust any lock for it. Buddy and I used to take turns watching each others bikes while ordering coffee etc.

I have a disc lock for the moto but I don't usually bother with it. if it gets stolen I have insurance.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

GanjamonII posted:

if it gets stolen I have insurance.

What steps does an insurance company take from the moment you call saying "my bike was stolen" to ensure your bike was in fact stolen and not sitting in your garage?

What's their fraud prevention strategy?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

epswing posted:

What steps does an insurance company take from the moment you call saying "my bike was stolen" to ensure your bike was in fact stolen and not sitting in your garage?

What's their fraud prevention strategy?

Overall? They charge everyone else more money eventually due to rates going up - same with your policy usually.

I'd assume a police report would be filed and thus if you tried to register it again it's going to come up stolen or something. There's probably plenty of people who try to pull this so the honor system is most likely employed.

I'd personally be scared shitless riding around on a bike that I knew was listed as stolen. I guess the kinds of people that call up their own insurance saying the bike was stolen aren't the kind that worry about that sort of thing that much though.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
When I filed a claim with my renters insurance I had to give them a police report, and they contacted the utilities board. I imagine if you report your bike stolen you are required to submit a police report at the very least. I don't think "insurance company" and "honor system" belong in the same sentence.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

teknicolor posted:

When I filed a claim with my renters insurance I had to give them a police report, and they contacted the utilities board. I imagine if you report your bike stolen you are required to submit a police report at the very least. I don't think "insurance company" and "honor system" belong in the same sentence.

I meant that if you call up an insurance company while standing in the middle of a parking lot alone they're probably inclined to believe you had your vehicle stolen. Especially with a police report.

I imagine they let the cops pretend to search for it for a day or two before starting the paperwork on that nice shiny check they're about to cut you. I'm sure the insurance companies employ people who check their records against registration records to prevent fraud but I can't imagine they catch a large majority of people trying to cash in and steal their own bike. I think the fear of highly increased premiums of an unknown amount keeps people honest as well as the fear of being arrested when you get pulled over for a burnt out taillight or something stupid on your stolen bike.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, good luck trying to renew your registration and on that bike you reported as stolen, not to mention the fact that you're clearly riding it with no insurance. If you get caught, insurance fraud is a pretty serious crime.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been trying to find examples of someone using them on hardened steel, but so far no joy. Most examples are people using manual 36" or 42" bolt croppers. Anyone know the shear or tensile strength of 1010 steel vs hardened types?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

epswing posted:

Where on the bike do you store it? Or do you wear it like a messenger bag? Looks heavy.

It's about 10kgs, carry it in a Joe Rocket spacepak on a givi rack. Don't really notice the difference in weight, but I imagine it makes my front wheel lighter than it would be otherwise..

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Any chain can be cut, but that doesn't matter so much, because there will always be more thieves without the tools than with them, and likewise more bikes without chains than with them. If you lock yours up with something decent, you put yourself into a minority target position. Unless you have like a $10k+ bike, or parked it somewhere nice and secluded, there's no good reason for them to take yours instead of one that's way easier.

Make it "unattractive" to thieves, and let insurance take care of the rest.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

Any chain can be cut, but that doesn't matter so much, because there will always be more thieves without the tools than with them, and likewise more bikes without chains than with them. If you lock yours up with something decent, you put yourself into a minority target position. Unless you have like a $10k+ bike, or parked it somewhere nice and secluded, there's no good reason for them to take yours instead of one that's way easier.

Make it "unattractive" to thieves, and let insurance take care of the rest.

Is there a decent tracking system provider in the US? There's a few decent ones in the UK, costs in the region of £300 and results in your bike more often than not making it's way back to you. One's definitely going in my next bike..

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, good luck trying to renew your registration and on that bike you reported as stolen, not to mention the fact that you're clearly riding it with no insurance. If you get caught, insurance fraud is a pretty serious crime.

Trackbike :v:

Note: I would never actually do this.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

_Dav posted:

Is there a decent tracking system provider in the US? There's a few decent ones in the UK, costs in the region of £300 and results in your bike more often than not making it's way back to you. One's definitely going in my next bike..

LoJack is apparently pretty good, but I don't understand why anyone would do it unless you have something totally irreplaceable. I can either pay $700 for a LoJack tracker which may or may not result in my bike eventually making its way back to me, or I can pay an extra $3/mo to get full insurance on my bike which means I definitely get a brand new one if it ever gets stolen.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

LoJack is apparently pretty good, but I don't understand why anyone would do it unless you have something totally irreplaceable. I can either pay $700 for a LoJack tracker which may or may not result in my bike eventually making its way back to me, or I can pay an extra $3/mo to get full insurance on my bike which means I definitely get a brand new one if it ever gets stolen.

In the UK atleast, if your claim on your stolen bike, you're going to be paying for it through hugely inflated premiums anyway. If I lose my NCB, I'd pretty much be priced out of having any bike over 250cc for atleast 2 years.. My excess would probably be more than the cost of a tracker in the first place.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

_Dav posted:

In the UK atleast, if your claim on your stolen bike, you're going to be paying for it through hugely inflated premiums anyway. If I lose my NCB, I'd pretty much be priced out of having any bike over 250cc for atleast 2 years.. My excess would probably be more than the cost of a tracker in the first place.

Is insurance crazy expensive over there, or something? I pay about $100/yr for a really good insurance policy. Even if the doubled my premiums, it would still take over 5 years for the increase to equal the cost of LoJack.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm paying $1400 per year. 28 years old, Suzuki GS500, new rider.

(Part of the reason I got this bike is because a 650 was $2400 per year.)

Insurance is the biggest loving scam :/

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

epswing posted:

I'm paying $1400 per year. 28 years old, Suzuki GS500, new rider.

(The reason I got the bike I got is because a 650 was $2400 per year.)

Insurance is the biggest loving scam :/

Have you shopped around? That can't possibly be right.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

SlightlyMadman posted:

Have you shopped around? That can't possibly be right.

Go get a quote, mang http://www.ridersplus.com/insurance_quotes.php

(You can use postal code L5N3M7 on the form, and choose moto license M2, and that you got it sometime in 2011)

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 13, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Newish rider. 750/yr on a Standard with M2 License. (600cc GSF Suzuki) First year of insurance, 3rdish year of having M2. 25 years of age.

Go Canada?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Who are you with? I just picked up my M1 in Aug, M2 in Oct, so I'm guessing that's why mine is stupidly high for a 500cc.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
I'm paying £400 for a 2005 Z750s (I'm 23, 2years NCB in London) for 8000 miles travel per year. For a new speed triple once I'm 24 with 3 years NCB is about £1000 Third Party Fire + Theft, with bikesafe rider training, crazy chain, tracker and immobiliser.

Insurance is expensive in London in particular, and for males under 25 (having a desirable/powerful bike really doesn't help either).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

epswing posted:

Who are you with? I just picked up my M1 in Aug, M2 in Oct, so I'm guessing that's why mine is stupidly high for a 500cc.

TD Melechemonix or however you spell em. I get a small discount through work.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'll be damned, at least that's one thing that's better in America! Of course, you're all saving more in health care than I am in insurance I guess.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wow. I put in my bike and info, and a full year of my insurance costs half of their monthly quote.

25x as much for insurance? WTF.

I guess no helmet law really DOES keep my insurance rates down.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
And then you get stupid poo poo like this:

(I was rear ended at about 10mph in my car at a junction. One of the insurance companies must have passed my details on to some shady 'claims' company)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Insurance on motorcycles is crazy expensive in the UK relative to the US, partially because of the elevated risk of your scooter getting nicked by a chav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Insurance on motorcycles is crazy expensive in the UK relative to the US, partially because of the elevated risk of your scooter getting nicked by a chav.

I pay over £1000 and thats just third-party...