Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The car carrier would be a good hint for a Tati collection since they've been sitting on Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle for over a year. The car on the upper front looks like Hulot's car and the middle one on the bottom looks like the monstrosity from Mon Oncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Is the guy digging the grave representing Shallow Grave? That would be pretty great. My other thought was it might be Cemetery Man, but I doubt it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ratedargh posted:

Is the guy digging the grave representing Shallow Grave?

Yep.

Most exciting to me is the aforementioned Quadrophenia and Summer With Monika (lady on the car).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Don't forget Maude's pendant, which apparently means Rosemary's Baby.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FitFortDanga posted:

Yep.

Most exciting to me is the aforementioned Quadrophenia and Summer With Monika (lady on the car).

oh poo poo, Quadrophenia is going to be awesome. Hope that's early in the year.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Don't forget Maude's pendant, which apparently means Rosemary's Baby.

I'd love if they finished Polanski's trilogy and add The Tenant as well. I'd like them to add The Tragedy of Macbeth too but I don't think it's very likely.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 2, 2012

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Just received a blu-ray in the mail, and the casing is crushed. I live in Europe and ordered it from amazon, so returning it just seems like it wouldnt even be worth bothering with. I see criterion sells cases on their page, but only ship to US and Canada. Are these type of cases sold anywhere else on the web?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bat duck posted:

Just received a blu-ray in the mail, and the casing is crushed. I live in Europe and ordered it from amazon, so returning it just seems like it wouldnt even be worth bothering with. I see criterion sells cases on their page, but only ship to US and Canada. Are these type of cases sold anywhere else on the web?

Send Criterion an email, they might ship you a case free of charge. I've heard of them doing this before.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FitFortDanga posted:

Send Criterion an email, they might ship you a case free of charge. I've heard of them doing this before.

Not sure about Europe, but they'll definitely do it if you're in the US. I shot Jon Mulvaney an e-mail about a month or two back because one of my cases for the Carlos Saura Eclipse set was crushed and he sent me one within a week.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Not sure about Europe, but they'll definitely do it if you're in the US. I shot Jon Mulvaney an e-mail about a month or two back because one of my cases for the Carlos Saura Eclipse set was crushed and he sent me one within a week.

Also my story here in Canada where I had a basement flood and 5-6 criterion bluray cases & booklets were wrecked. They sent both the cases & booklets free of charge for all of them - including The Third Man that is out of print.

I recommend sending an email explaining your situation.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
They send replacements to Australia just fine.

SLAVOMACEDONIAN
Jul 30, 2011

bat duck posted:

I've experienced this myself as well in two separate orders. Only with audio CD's. Both of the orders had one cd with a broken jewel case. I opted for a replacement and got them without even returning the originals. They said it wasn't worth the trouble.

So it's worth trying to get a replacement. Oh, and it was all free of charge.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

SLAVOMACEDONIAN posted:

I've experienced this myself as well in two separate orders. Only with audio CD's. Both of the orders had one cd with a broken jewel case. I opted for a replacement and got them without even returning the originals. They said it wasn't worth the trouble.

So it's worth trying to get a replacement. Oh, and it was all free of charge.

My only option through Amazon now is to send it back and get a refund. Was sold by TDI Holdings Inc not Amazon, that might be the problem.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I wasn't sure about upgrading the DVD before, but the cocaine is pretty tempting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

I wasn't sure about upgrading the DVD before, but the cocaine is pretty tempting.

The downside- the $5000 price tag.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Maxwell Lord posted:

During the sale with a B&N membership it's only $2,250. $2,245 with a coupon.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
More on the Eating Raoul confirmation thing, Criterion just added it to their Hulu+ station.

Left Hand
Apr 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Play your cards right and it will pay for itself.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Archyduke posted:

Tiny Furniture isn't very good but I suppose it's reasonable for Criterion to have at least some acknowledgement of mumblecore in the catalogue, and Tiny Furniture is, if nothing else, probably the most high-profile example of the genre.

Have to agree with this statement. Criterion is pretty good about having representatives from all sorts of different genres (Armageddon comes to mind), and like it or not mumblecore is (was?) sort of a thing in the mid-2000s.

I just finished watching Tiny Furniture. It wasn't as terrible as some of you were making it out to be, but I found myself really starting to hate the main character about 10 minutes into the film, and that feeling never went away.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pfirti86 posted:

mumblecore

I've never heard this term until just now. I wikied it and turns out I've seen one - Humpday. My girlfriend and I watched it on Netflix a year or so ago on a whim and really enjoyed it. I had no idea it was a part of some new film movement. Interesting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pfirti86 posted:

Have to agree with this statement. Criterion is pretty good about having representatives from all sorts of different genres (Armageddon comes to mind), and like it or not mumblecore is (was?) sort of a thing in the mid-2000s.

I just finished watching Tiny Furniture. It wasn't as terrible as some of you were making it out to be, but I found myself really starting to hate the main character about 10 minutes into the film, and that feeling never went away.

That's the second biggest reason I hate it. The biggest reason is that I think it was trying to be a comedy and it's the most aggressively unfunny thing I've seen in ages.

I don't disagree that they should have a nod to mumblecore in the collection but I'm pretty sure there are actual good mumblecore films.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

They should do this so much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would pay so much money for a Criterion GoodBurger.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd love to see Criterion handle Funky Forest and Violent poo poo.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Only if it came with a Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell commentary track.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pretty sure this means Badlands will be among Friday's announcements.

edit: Criterion's saying it's not Badlands.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 11, 2012

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion's saying it's not Badlands.

Have they denied its Good Burger yet? That shot looks reminiscent of Abe Vigoda's touching final scene in the movie where, after working in a burger joint his entire life and learning a lesson in enjoying yourself because life's too short, he heads down to the marsh to eat his first honest burger. And that's when he gets shot by a bunch of gangsters hoping to incite a mob war.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different movie.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

FitFortDanga posted:

Obviously it's Good Burger.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Where did they say this? I checked their twitter and facebook.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The Lucas posted:

Where did they say this? I checked their twitter and facebook.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

:(

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Something is telling me it's Dillinger but I might be way off on that.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
In case anyone missed it, all signs point to it being Alambrista. Sounds pretty interesting, I'll give it a slot in the Netflix queue.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Aorist posted:

In case anyone missed it, all signs point to it being Alambrista. Sounds pretty interesting, I'll give it a slot in the Netflix queue.

I wish it was Sorcerer like the one fan was pointing out. That movie desperately needs a new dvd/blu-ray. Wasn't there a goon who compared it to Wages of Fear and surmised that it was a better movie, at least in his opinion.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

SneakySneaks posted:

I wish it was Sorcerer like the one fan was pointing out. That movie desperately needs a new dvd/blu-ray. Wasn't there a goon who compared it to Wages of Fear and surmised that it was a better movie, at least in his opinion.

quote:

A group of outcasts from different backgrounds/nationalities are forced by misfortune to work in a remote oil drilling operation in South America. When fire breaks out of control, four of the outcasts are given the opportunity to earn enough money to get out by transporting six crates of unstable dynamite through miles of jungle in two ancient trucks. Will they succeed and regain their honor and citizenship, or get blown up for their efforts?

This sounds extremely close to the plot of The Wages of Fear... maybe too close.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zenintrude posted:

This sounds extremely close to the plot of The Wages of Fear... maybe too close.

It's a remake.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
And both movies are brilliant thrillers with enough unique aspects to make it a necessity to see them both.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's also directed by William Peter Blatkin and stars Roy Scheider, which makes it about seven kinds of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm intrigued by everyone who thought it was Badlands. I just finished watching it and there's not a shot anywhere similar to that in the movie. At least nothing in the Purple/Orange sky area.