Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Ddraig posted:

Fallout 3 doesn't have This Machine, so NV is obviously better. I love that gun.

I made it my BF3 soldier name :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Pope Guilty posted:

I've done Old World Blues and Honest Hearts, and at the end of Honest Hearts, my reaction was "...huh?" It felt like I finished it almost as soon as I got there.
Any chance you killed a certain dude at the start, a bunch of 'mission failed' messages popped up, and you were told to fetch a map?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

rvdleun posted:

Any chance you killed a certain dude at the start, a bunch of 'mission failed' messages popped up, and you were told to fetch a map?

I actually hit him with a .50MG explosive and he somehow managed to shake it off. Maybe I actually hit the guy in front of him.

I just felt like, okay, I did a couple of quests and now everybody's left the area and I guess I could look around and not have anybody to meet or talk to?

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd like it if your gear could influence dialogue options. I mean, why would you need a perk for being a terrifying presence when you're carrying heavy weaponry?

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Mock and Droll posted:

I won Fallout 3 from Steamgifts a while back, and I feel a little guilty. now that I've put some time into NV, I just can't bring myself to go back to FO3. :ohdear:

Also, I've got a bit of a problem. Whenever I head up into the northwest corner of the map, near Vault 22, New Vegas crashes. I've tried disabling all my mods, validating the files...Anyone else encountered something like this? It also occurs when heading west from the H&H Tools Factory, around where the...farm? starts. I haven't explored much in that area, so I'm not sure what that place is.

edit: Ah, it turns out it's only on this save game. Didn't happen on a new character I tcl'd up there. Is there anything I can do to 'save' my current character or am I going to need to start again?

I had that exact same problem and I never found a solution. I got around it by using the console to jump to Jacobstown. From there I could back track enough and hug the hills to get to the safehouse and Vault 22. I also used it to jump to the wasted caravan and managed to get out before it crashed.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

I actually hit him with a .50MG explosive and he somehow managed to shake it off. Maybe I actually hit the guy in front of him.
I just felt like, okay, I did a couple of quests and now everybody's left the area and I guess I could look around and not have anybody to meet or talk to?
Assuming you killed both guys: Follows-Chalk (the guy behind that first guy shooting at you)was killing the first guy. Follows-Chalk was helping you out. You're not supposed to kill him. After that he was going to talk to you and start the REAL main quest.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the first time I started HH, I killed Follows-Chaulk without thinking about it. It seemed like what you were supposed to do. Then I realized what I did when I got a bunch of failed quest notifications.

I think that was a design flaw in Honest Hearts.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do the skill books you make in old world blues give you 3 points like any other skill book? The wiki doesn't really say.

Haak
Sep 13, 2004

Dammit, not again.
I am finally making progress in the ocean of content in this bloody game and its DLC. I just finished the third DLC (OWB) and so far they've all been fun, but Old World Blues has been by far the best. Just never missed a beat.

"Starting combat." :confused: what the
"... just kidding." :argh:

That and Muggy (:allears:) basically won me over without even considering the actual content.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I never actually finished this game, but I'm hoping to this play-through. Should I do the DLC early in the game, or does the main quest allow you to continue after and do the DLC then?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The ending of New Vegas is final: you can't come back and do the DLCs after you start the endgame.

In terms of DLC order, people generally suggest Dead Money -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road. Unlike the rest of the DLCs, Honest Hearts apparently isn't that closely tied to their storylines, and can be played separately.

In terms of character progression: from what I know of the other DLCs, they're dealing with enemies that're a lot more advanced sounding than tribals, so I'd suggest you do Honest Hearts first.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

I never actually finished this game, but I'm hoping to this play-through. Should I do the DLC early in the game, or does the main quest allow you to continue after and do the DLC then?

The game ends once the battle at Hoover Dam is resolved, so yeah, do the DLC first. You can even do some of the DLC early, then pop back out--specifically, the very first part of Lonesome Road (in the "Canyon Wreakage.") Doing so upgrades ED-E in the main game to be able to partially repair your weapon for free once a day. EXTREMELY handy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Yeah, the first time I started HH, I killed Follows-Chaulk without thinking about it. It seemed like what you were supposed to do. Then I realized what I did when I got a bunch of failed quest notifications.

Ironically it's not a design flaw, the version of it they sent to Bethesda had Follows Chalk be invincible until you talked to him for the first time.

The release one didn't. :bethesda:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Haak posted:

That and Muggy (:allears:) basically won me over without even considering the actual content.

Muggy is one of the best characters ever. Has an awesome voice actor who really did the lines justice, too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who didn't kill Follows-Chalk at the start?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AG3 posted:

Muggy is one of the best characters ever. Has an awesome voice actor who really did the lines justice, too.

The way his voice rises and falls is just perfect sometimes. Perfect for a comedically neurotic being.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I didnt :smug:

Because I missed him when I shot at him :haw:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

chelsea clinton posted:

I'd like it if your gear could influence dialogue options. I mean, why would you need a perk for being a terrifying presence when you're carrying heavy weaponry?

This is an awesome idea, but I still know that a package carrying wasteland killer who never gives a gently caress and carries a revolver will end my life. Maybe an option for terrifying presence (due to you being an utter abomination) plus an option for quick draw if your guns stat is up there or the simple fact that you are carrying a massive bazooka and like blowing people up.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

AG3 posted:

Muggy is awesome but I like the toaster. In fact the entire array of household appliances are magnitudes better than most game voice acting. OWB is still the best episode of Futurama ever.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

khwarezm posted:

I managed to do it on my second play through HH, even though I loving knew about the bug that time. It's very easy to do - he's scripted to come up behind a White Legs gunner on a hill, and presumably kill him. Thing is, if you're scoped up and looking at that gunner your initial thought is "oh gently caress he's got a friend, FULL AUTO".

Of course all that wouldn't be a problem if he was invulnerable like he was supposed to be. I'm not sure what could have happened between Obsidian sending it off and Bethesda shipping it to cause that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
^^^ The player ought to have received the "Sneering Imperialist" perk for killing Follows-Chalk at the beginning, accidental or not.

"I can't tell the difference from the 'hostile' tribals and the 'friendly' ones; just kill them all and let God sort them out."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, never actually saw "Nuka-Break" before. It's pretty good.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

^^^ The player ought to have received the "Sneering Imperialist" perk for killing Follows-Chalk at the beginning, accidental or not.

"I can't tell the difference from the 'hostile' tribals and the 'friendly' ones; just kill them all and let God sort them out."

loving tribals all look the same to me, man,

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Ddraig posted:

Fallout 3 doesn't have This Machine, so NV is obviously better. I love that gun.

On the other hand, New Vegas doesn't have the Rock-It Launcher.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I never killed Follows-Chalk but only because I knew to look for him thanks to this thread.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sam. posted:

On the other hand, New Vegas doesn't have the Railway Rifle.

Fixed that for you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Can't you get a mod that adds all that stuff back in?

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I kind of wish that all weapons that used flamer fuel were governed by the explosives skill instead. Heat is a sort of energy and all but the other energy weapons are far more high-tech and attacking with a simple burning liquid seems more like an explosive kind of thing to me.

I also wish that the mods were a bit more compelling overall. I mean, is there any weapon that has more possible mods than slots for them? Only a few aren't obvious upgrades as well. You don't always want a scope and some weapons have longer loading times when their capacity is expanded but that's it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Spuzzz posted:

I never killed Follows-Chalk but only because I knew to look for him thanks to this thread.

I think I was helped by the fact that I only brought around eighty .308 rounds before I went and was scared shitless that I'd waste all of it at the start, so I crawled through the ambush trying to get perfect headshots before I noticed one of them wasn't hostile.

Of course if I had decided to bring my grenade launcher instead of my Gobi Scout rifle I would have undoubtedly hosed everything up so thank god I didn't! :v:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Speedball posted:

Huh, never actually saw "Nuka-Break" before. It's pretty good.
The story's getting better (as in there is almost a storyline now) but it's the actors and their chemistry that carry it. I never liked xena warrior princess type shows but that style actually works with Fallout. I hope they keep making them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Muggy is awesome but I like the toaster. In fact the entire array of household appliances are magnitudes better than most game voice acting. OWB is still the best episode of Futurama ever.

Yeah, I loved the wackiness of OWB, it is my fave DLC for NV. FIDO is one of the coolest weapons, especially the sad moan it gives out when you swap it for another weapon. But drat those Nightstalkers, they can be bastards when a pack of them are after you. Once you have FIDO they become a lot easier to deal with

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chelsea clinton posted:

I also wish that the mods were a bit more compelling overall. I mean, is there any weapon that has more possible mods than slots for them? Only a few aren't obvious upgrades as well. You don't always want a scope and some weapons have longer loading times when their capacity is expanded but that's it.

Unfortunately, none of the weapons could have more than three possible mods--even if there were still only three slots per weapon--without a complete re-write of the entire weapon modding system, which is currently hard-coded to only have three. This is because each possible combination of mods is its own .nif file, meaning that if you have three mods, you need to have 8 different models for that one weapon. Adding even one more mod option to the weapons significantly increases the number of possible combinations, regardless of whether or not you restrict the max mod slots to 3 per weapon. And I know the word "consoles" gets thrown around a lot, but between the extra time required to make those .nif files and the additional resources they demand, I don't think there was ever a chance of seeing more choices.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I didn't kill Follows-Chalk; he lived through my attack.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

It never even occurred to me that Follows-Chalk might be hostile. I just saw him running down the hill and was like "this fellow looks friendly, oh you there! Hello!"

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.
I'm playing on the 360 and I've been getting a whole lot of game freezes lately. Didn't really come up until level 35ish but it seems like every five minutes the game will freeze, mostly during combat. I really don't know what's up with this and I'm not sure anyone else will either, but I have to ask--anyone else get this/know why it is happening/know how to fix it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

You Am I posted:

Yeah, I loved the wackiness of OWB, it is my fave DLC for NV. FIDO is one of the coolest weapons, especially the sad moan it gives out when you swap it for another weapon. But drat those Nightstalkers, they can be bastards when a pack of them are after you. Once you have FIDO they become a lot easier to deal with

I personally loved having the Animal Friend perk, as it meant that I could walk up and find lobotomite corpses all around thanks to my nightstalker pals. :laugh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'd have loved OWB if it had been designed by somebody who doesn't hate me for playing a sneaky sniper. Or if it had included ammo for guns actually worth shooting (5.56? Are they assuming I brought the Bozar?). Or...

You know, I guess I love the writing and the quest design and the voice acting, and hate the actual mechanical bits.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd have loved OWB if it had been designed by somebody who doesn't hate me for playing a sneaky sniper. Or if it had included ammo for guns actually worth shooting (5.56? Are they assuming I brought the Bozar?). Or...

You know, I guess I love the writing and the quest design and the voice acting, and hate the actual mechanical bits.

See I went into OWB as a sneaky type and had to adjust. It wasn't a massive issue since I had Josh Graham's armour which isn't bad for straight up gunfighting. If you are going into OWB and you fight with guns, get loving hand loader pronto. poo poo has high HP and armour but if you are rocking A Light Shining in Darkness (or some other means of lead distribution) with hand load .45 super or equivalent (.45 super is the most heavy metal of all ammunition types) you can flog everything to death and be home in time for cornflakes.

By the time you're in OWB you should have collected so much random poo poo in your travels that making piles and piles of really good ammo is easy, so even if you are a shitgun surgeon or a revolver slinging cowboy, you'll have something that can cope with my army of GIANT ROBOSCORPIONS.

I think the story with 5.56 is it works with the dog gun thing, but I found that gun to be pretty poor against the poo poo in OWB even though it was pretty cute.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

By the time you're in OWB you should have collected so much random poo poo in your travels that making piles and piles of really good ammo is easy, so even if you are a shitgun surgeon or a revolver slinging cowboy, you'll have something that can cope with my army of GIANT ROBOSCORPIONS.

Alternatively, you go in at ~level 5 and everything has much lower DR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I did a guns/melee weapons focused character so I've just been beating the robots to death with an antenna.