Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bank posted:

So my wife is now three weeks pregnant and she's been getting some pretty bad hives. A small patch was on her lower stomach near her hip bone (an inch wide) and it's spread around her legs now. The dermatologist said it was eczema and gave her a cream, but it's not really working. She's had a lot of trouble sleeping and will wake up throughout the night because it's so itchy.

I've been with her 10+ years and have never seen her have hives like this before. Is there anything else she can do? I'm going to setup an appointment with another dermatologist to get a second opinion in the mean time. I just bought her some Eucerin lotion (with some kind of oatmeal additive) so hopefully that helps out.

She's been told to stay away from antihistamines (Loratadine specifically, so maybe Benedryl is ok?).

I can relate. Oh god, can I relate. Benedryl is fine. I have the same thing going on. However, my OB seems to think it's NOT eczema as there isn't any flakey skin or dryness going on. I'm also getting the weird, itchy hives (on the arms and top of the thighs especially and a small amount on my abdomen now). It also seems to get much worse at night. Wait until it gets to the nether regions. Fun times. I'm going to be seeing a dermatologist here in a couple of weeks as per my OB. I'm 11 weeks along and have had this problem for about a month now. It sucks and I have never had skin issues like this before :(

Hope your wife finds some relief with the benedryl. An oatmeal bath works for me sometimes (but really only provides temporary relief as do most lotions/creams).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

She can also try CeraVe in the tub for extremely dry skin (you can get it at Walgreen's, its in a light blue tub, about 12 bucks). I use this on my kids eczema along with a topical cream and it really helps prevent it. Might also want to think about eliminating some of the big four allergens like wheat soy milk and eggs and see if that helps at all, then if it does gradually add them back in one at a time to see which is the culprit (if I had to guess I'd say wheat). Sometimes your immune system can go haywire when you get pregnant and things that never used to bother you or only bothered you a little can flare up unexpectedly, though it could just as easily be stress.

Thia
Oct 14, 2005

Bored now.
I'm 14 weeks pregnant and my husband and I recently went looking around at baby stores to get an idea of all the stuff we're going to need. We both ended up a little overwhelmed with all the choices. Some of the suggestions I've found in this thread have been helpful, but I've been lurking in it for a long time and it's hard to go back and sift through everything.

Does anyone have recommendations about car seats or cribs? I'm also interested in getting a jogging stroller, as I'd really like to keep up with my exercise once the baby's old enough. I know we don't need any of these things for a while, but we like to plan ahead. We'd also like to space out the big purchases instead of freaking out at 8 months realizing we haven't bought anything yet.

Also, a random question out of curiosity. Did anyone notice an increased sensitivity to spicy foods in pregnancy? Last night we had pizza with jalapenos on it and for the second time since getting pregnant my mouth felt like it was on fire. I had to get up and drink a whole glass of milk before my eyes stopped watering. That never used to happen to me before, just thought it was odd.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I would look for a secondhand jogging stroller - that's the kind of thing people buy, don't use and then get rid of when it's still in good shape. :) That's my plan for when I'm ready to start running again. As for car seats, we got the Graco Snugride 35 and it's been great. (Not that I have much basis for comparison.) When I had to pick out baby stuff, I looked at reviews on Consumer Reports, Babies R Us and Amazon and generally chose what everybody liked.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Thia posted:

Does anyone have recommendations about car seats or cribs?

Most people will recommend against cribs because several people have found that they never used them. I will be the odd man out and recommend a crib that will convert to a toddler bed eventually. I would also recommend something like a mini arm's reach co-sleeper or something else smallish to sidecar next to your bed in case you plan on breastfeeding. Our crib is a Graco and it was around $120. The mini arm's reach cosleeper I found on craigslist for $80 in new condition.

As for carseats, you'll find that everyone has a different preference. We personally just preferred a traditional bucket seat that came along with a travel system (ours happened to also be the Graco Snugride 35). We used that until she was around 25ish pounds and then moved her to a convertible carseat which was the Graco MyRide 65 and we've been using that since. Personally, I'd go for something that rear faces until around 40lbs since the new recommendations are rear facing until 2 years old. A huge factor in choosing a carseat will be the type of vehicle you own and how tall you and your spouse are. We can rear face the MyRide 65 in my Honda Civic and our Mazda 3 as long as it's behind the passenger seat and I'm sitting in it. My husband is 6'1" and I'm only 5'3" so that's the only way a rear facing carseat will work - if it's behind me. However if you rearface in the middle of the backseat, the MyRide works fine for both of us and my husband has no issues.

Hopefully that helps you out a little.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2012

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
We used a pack and play next to the bed until she could roll over. Then we moved her to a crib. Like Bam, I'd recommend a crib that converts to a toddler bed. It's one less thing to buy later on and it's just convenient.

Also, we looked for cribs specifically made from hardwoods. Kids will bite the wood and hardwoods will take it better than softwoods. We went with a mahogany crib and so far we have minimal teeth marks. My sister has a pine crib and it looks like her kid is going to gnaw through it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We inherited a crib, stroller and carseat A from my sister-in-law. A friend gave us another carseat B, so we can have one in each car.
Carseat A has an elaborate system of hooks in the back and sides, and has a pedal to stabilize it against the floor. It reclines completely so it's good for newborns, but it was a son-of-a-bitch to put in at first.
Carseat B just clips in quickly with the seatbelt. It doesn't recline far so it's only good for 3 months+ after the neck is stronger. But it's easy to pop out and put in for when I need to move a lot of stuff, or put it into my mother-in-law's car...

If I had to just choose one, it would be A with the newborn setting. But by golly it's nicer having 2.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I loooooooove my Chicco Keyfit30, just clicks right into place into the base and I can even take it out one-handed if I have to. We were considering buying another base but both our cars have the buckles in the seat so it's really easy to switch between cars.

So my kiddo is developing quite the sense of humor! Last night I was settling him down in bed to nurse, and he made the funniest noise of joy when he latched on. So I laugh, he rears his head back and stares at me and starts laughing too. So for a minute we're laughing at each other like a couple of nuts.

Gotta enjoy the happy moments while we can, next week he'll hit the magical 12 week mark where we can start sleep training and a gradual weaning to the cosleeper. My hips and back can't take much more of sleeping with a baby in the bed.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lyz posted:

We were considering buying another base but both our cars have the buckles in the seat so it's really easy to switch between cars.

We got another base so we could make the bucket seat more easily movable between the two vehicles. Some of the best $$ spent. Now I'm especially glad we did this since we're having another baby.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.

Lyz posted:

Gotta enjoy the happy moments while we can, next week he'll hit the magical 12 week mark where we can start sleep training and a gradual weaning to the cosleeper. My hips and back can't take much more of sleeping with a baby in the bed.

Just prepare yourself for a lot of back and forth of you plan on sleep training so early. Theres a lot babies go through in the first year of life that really screws with how they sleep. I wasn't even aware it was ok to sleep train that early. I would assume it wouldn't really do much but make everyone involved frustrated.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Lyz posted:

What kind of sleep training are you doing? Nate was sleeping really well at that age, but at 6 months it all went to poo poo, so we've been cosleeping since, which I find is awesome for us both getting enough sleep these days.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Chickalicious posted:

What kind of sleep training are you doing? Nate was sleeping really well at that age, but at 6 months it all went to poo poo, so we've been cosleeping since, which I find is awesome for us both getting enough sleep these days.

Yeah, the back and forth was maddening. We co-slept with Bruce from about 10-months until 13-months, when a week ago we decided to try letting him sleep in his own crib again and he took to it really quickly. So far, so good!

Figuring out sleep has been the hardest part of being a parent, so far.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We did the No Cry Sleep Solution techniques around 3 months, and it worked like a charm. She would go to sleep after about 30 minutes and sleep in her crib without a peep for 4-5 hours, then another 2 after nursing. After that I'd bring her into bed with me to nurse until I had to get up for the day. I was very :smug: about it for about 3 months and then everything went to hell on a slow downward spiral. Now we have our crib sidecarred and have been cosleeping exclusively.

She is 12 months old and nowhere near ready to be night weaned. Sometimes she will sleep 6 hours and only wake up two or three times, but sometimes she will still wake up 6-8 times.

Looking back I think we created a good nighttime routine for her, but it was just too early for any kind of lasting impression. I really believe some babies are just straight-up lovely sleepers, and you just have to deal with the cards you are dealt.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Thia posted:

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and my husband and I recently went looking around at baby stores to get an idea of all the stuff we're going to need. We both ended up a little overwhelmed with all the choices. Some of the suggestions I've found in this thread have been helpful, but I've been lurking in it for a long time and it's hard to go back and sift through everything.

Does anyone have recommendations about car seats or cribs? I'm also interested in getting a jogging stroller, as I'd really like to keep up with my exercise once the baby's old enough. I know we don't need any of these things for a while, but we like to plan ahead. We'd also like to space out the big purchases instead of freaking out at 8 months realizing we haven't bought anything yet.

It IS crazily overwhelming. Luckily, you really do not need all that crap. Don't get sucked in - it's a lot like weddings, actually. The stuff you actually need is minimal, though everywhere you look someone is trying to sell you something else. I'm pretty minimal in what I buy, though there are a few items I think it's worth it to splurge on.

1. Place for the baby to sleep - you can go crazy with a $1000 convertible crib, only to find that you guys and the baby all sleep best in the same bed. I like our IKEA crib just fine. And you don't need to go nuts with the bedding either; a mattress protector and two fitted sheets for the crib. In fact, the rest of it is at best decorative, and actually a lot of it is actively discouraged by experts because of SIDS concerns (padded bumpers, pretty comforters, etc.).

2. Carseat - its a non-negotiable item you've got to have, but don't make yourself crazy trying to analyze the ins and outs of all the various options. It will drive you crazy, and I'll be damned if the hours I spent researching it all made any practical difference. Any carseat is heavy as poo poo, so you'll want to carry it as little as possible. The Chicco Keyfit is what we ended up getting, and it's fine.

3. Diapers - Cloth is easier than you'd think, and no grosser than disposables. Your baby will cover you with all their bodily fluids one way or another anyhow, so if squeamishness about poo is holding you back, I'd encourage you to at least try it. Our diaper service is the same cost as disposables, so I say why the hell not. Also save the planet, blah blah blah. You get the benefit of secretly feeling superior to all the disposable using parents.

4. Baby transportation and entertainment - I'm a huge advocate of wearing your baby in a carrier of some type as much as is practical/possible. Research shows that babies who are carried more cry a lot less. It's so useful that I gush about it to every drat person I know with a kid. I've yet to use my actual stroller, or even wish I had my stroller instead of a baby carrier when I'm out shopping or running errands. Hands-free nursing is the poo poo. I can still do almost everything I used to do around the house, I just do it now with the baby on me. I give 2 thumbs up to the BabyHawk mei tai, and Didymos woven wraps. Carriers aren't cheap, but neither are strollers, and I use them for at least a couple of hours every single day, and being able to get poo poo done more easily is priceless right now. Ergo and Moby are pretty mainstream now, but there are a lot of options, too. I'd recommend the forums at thebabywearer.com for more info about babywearing and what to get.

4a. As far as jogging strollers go, the BOB stroller is the one to get, and pretty much everyone I've talked to seems to agree on this point. I'd say this is another area worth splurging on if you're serious about running for exercise.

5. Something to wear - Don't buy a ton of clothes in the smaller sizes. They grow out of them lightning fast, so think about cost per wear. You'll be pissed if you spent a ton of money on something they only wear like 4 times. Whenever I want to buy something, I try to remind myself that the more you have, the less wears each thing gets.

It's easy to let the anxiety of pregnancy and parenthood drive a crazy buying spree, but I hope you'll resist the urge. I find the less time I spend in Babies R Us, the less stressed out I am. Hope that helps. :)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

Oh I don't quite know yet, but all the books on baby sleep basically say to not bother until three months old. My main goal is to get him transitioned from being in bed with us to a cosleeper, and I think the first step is going to be getting him to consistently nap in it in the afternoon. I think once he starts seeing the cosleeper as a cozy nap place he'll be more receptive to sleeping in there at night.

So far he's got a pretty consistent routine for the morning, we play in bed after he wakes up, get dressed, then he amuses himself in the pack n play (I stuffed an activity gym in it) while I make breakfast, and he usually drops off for his first nap on his own. If I can get the rest of the day structured like that it would be marvelous. As it is, since he's bedsharing with us, I end up going to bed at like 8, he conks out and I end up playing around on my tablet until I'm tired... I'd love to just put him down and come back downstairs and spend some time with the hubby.

He actually set his earlier bedtime at around 6 weeks, he would be screaming and miserable at night because I would stay up till 9:30, 10ish cause I had to go to bed with him. I figured it was just the mysterious crying peak but tried the earlier bedtime on a hunch and he's been content ever since. He sleeps like a champ from around 8-9pm to 8am (waking up to nurse every 2-4 hours, sometimes even going as long as 6 hours).

As for baby registry advice, I actually skipped on the big stuff cause I wanted to pick out a lot of it myself (didn't want people seeing it on the registry and buying knockoffs), and put a lot of misc stuff on it. I still ended up going and buying tons more stuff - I had to get a lot of newborn sized stuff cause all the clothes people got me were for 3+ months old. Kind of aggravating. And don't expect people to buy you any equipment for pumping breastmilk, apparently it's just too awkward. I did the high chair, pack n play, baby swing, carriers, diaper bags and a bunch of misc stuff on the registry but mostly got lots and lots of clothes, handmade blankets and bibs (I have a crafty family!) and toys and books.

Lyz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 13, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
My wife just got back from the doctor and at almost three weeks they said the baby is the size of a bean now. Amazing.

Regarding her hives, the doc said Benadryl is ok, but would recommend against it since it's the first trimester. My wife is going to be a trooper and avoid it for the time being.

As I'm thinking about this now, just curious, what does everyone do for child care? My wife and I are planning to stagger our leave at work so that we both get some quality time off, but what happens after the leave is up? I think we're in a good enough position where she can take a couple of years off work and take care of the baby, but say we run into tough times and don't have that luxury?

I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered when the baby is here.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bank posted:

Regarding her hives, the doc said Benadryl is ok, but would recommend against it since it's the first trimester. My wife is going to be a trooper and avoid it for the time being.

That's weird. I got 2 opinions, one from my OB and one from another doctor, that both said it was fine. I'm also in my first trimester. I mean it's not something I'd take multiple times a day, but I take it when I need it (which is usually 2-3 times a week).

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Anybody breastfeed and NOT co-sleep? Our little guy sleeps in his crib in his own room. Our bed is too small for co-sleeping - I get crowded out on a nightly basis. I wanted to have him in a cradle next to my side of the bed, but there wasn't enough space (we have a little house with small rooms.) I'm quick to respond when I hear him on the baby monitor and he seems totally fine, but I feel guilty, like he's not getting enough contact with me or something, and might be missing feeding opportunities. He's a happy baby and is gaining weight steadily, though. He wakes up 2 or 3 times in the night, eats and gets a diaper change, and goes back to sleep.

At 2 months in, here are some baby items I particularly like and/or use a lot.

- Aforementioned Graco Snugride 35 bucket car seat. Snaps into any Graco stroller.
- Baby swing. I call it the Magical Coma Swing; it chills him out so well that it almost feels like cheating to put him in it.
- Kick & Play Gym, which my sister gave us for Christmas. He LOVES this thing, and it's nice for tummy time.
- Sunbaby cloth pocket diapers. Best deal around for this style of diaper, from what I can tell.
- Changing table. I really like having a changing station, especially since we do use cloth. We got one secondhand for cheap.
- Cloth breast pads. (I like saving money.)
- Backpack diaper bag.
- Flat cloth diapers, to use for everything (burp cloths, laying down on surfaces to catch baby juice, extra stuffing in pocket diapers, nursing covers, actual diapering).
- Double electric breast pump. I had horrible issues with latching initially, ended up with cracked nipples, and had to pump so I could heal. I have a Medela Pump in Style.
- Boppy pillow for feeding and for baby to hang out in.
- Plenty of nursing tanks. Target has a good variety.
- Halo SleepSak Swaddle. He loves being wrapped up in this thing.

If you have a baby shower, don't bother registering for clothing, toys, towels, washcloths, bibs, blankets, bath products or burp cloths. People will probably buy the poo poo out of that stuff. And disposable diapers and wipes. We mostly got 0-3 month clothes, and since our guy was big, he fit into most of it right away. We did get WAY too much of it, though; he's already outgrown a lot of things and will never wear them. I'm now having the opposite problem - people are giving us clothes in 2T. "Here ya go - store this in your tiny house for a year!" :haw:

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 13, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

bamzilla posted:

That's weird. I got 2 opinions, one from my OB and one from another doctor, that both said it was fine. I'm also in my first trimester. I mean it's not something I'd take multiple times a day, but I take it when I need it (which is usually 2-3 times a week).
I think our doctor is just extremely paranoid, but my wife and I actually love that about her.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

The Young Marge posted:

Anybody breastfeed and NOT co-sleep? Our little guy sleeps in his crib in his own room. Our bed is too small for co-sleeping - I get crowded out on a nightly basis. I wanted to have him in a cradle next to my side of the bed, but there wasn't enough space (we have a little house with small rooms.) I'm quick to respond when I hear him on the baby monitor and he seems totally fine, but I feel guilty, like he's not getting enough contact with me or something, and might be missing feeding opportunities. He's a happy baby and is gaining weight steadily, though. He wakes up 2 or 3 times in the night, eats and gets a diaper change, and goes back to sleep.

I breast fed and didn't start co sleeping till she was 10 months old at the end of August, she stayed in a bassinet at the end of the bed or by my side of the bed. I am desperately trying to get her back into the crib because co-sleeping is loving terrible and everyone hates it. She and I are both light sleepers, while hubby is a medium sleep, so every time she twitches I get woken up, and if I move, she wakes up, then kicks/headbutts matt till he wakes up.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Kubricize posted:

I breast fed and didn't start co sleeping till she was 10 months old at the end of August, she stayed in a bassinet at the end of the bed or by my side of the bed. I am desperately trying to get her back into the crib because co-sleeping is loving terrible and everyone hates it. She and I are both light sleepers, while hubby is a medium sleep, so every time she twitches I get woken up, and if I move, she wakes up, then kicks/headbutts matt till he wakes up.

I was in the same boat. Bruce was in a bassinet at the foot of our bed until he was about 4-months old, and from 4-months to maybe 10-months it was an epic nightly struggle of trying to get him to sleep in the crib and usually just falling asleep on the couch or chair with him in our arms (definitely not ideal, but we were all desperate to get some shut eye and did what we had to do). Some nights were better than others, but they were usually terrible. I had many colds during the first year of my son's life, mostly due to lack of sleep and stress.

We co-slept from 10-months to 13-months, and it started out great and just devolved into the same situation as yours. Bruce would thrash around, and that would keep all of us up and we barely got any more sleep than before. Earlier this month, after I had developed yet another cold, we decided to try him back in his crib. The first night was iffy, and we said if he cried for more than 20 minutes we'd pull him out and try again another night. But after 15 minutes of off/on crying he fell asleep and only woke up a few times that night, crying for maybe 5 minutes before settling back asleep.

It's been over a week now, and last night was the first time we put him in the crib without nursing him to sleep first. He cried for about 5 minutes then fell asleep. The fact that he was able to put himself to sleep in his own crib made me want to cry with joy.

I am in no way telling anyone else how to handle their sleep situation. I got more than enough advice during the hardest stretch of sleepless nights that just didn't work for us. This time around though, something just clicked for Bruce and has worked for all of us, and he's still the same giggly, happy kid he has always been. I honestly don't think we could have (or should have) sleep-trained him any earlier.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

bamzilla posted:

I think there was one study that showed an increased risk of cleft palate with Benedryl use in the first trimester--this is what my medical mother told me when I asked, anyway. The odds are very much against it, but I admit that I've avoided it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

I had Connor in the Moses Basket beside the bed for the first four months then into the cot (still in our room). He's slept in our bed a few nights when he woke up in the middle of the night and I fell asleep while feeding him but it's definitely been the exception rather than the norm. I couldn't co-sleep with him now as he just won't sleep in the big bed - he'll start crawling about and trying to jump off the edge then as soon as he goes back into the cot he'll go back to sleep. Think he just connects cot with sleeping and everywhere in the house with mischief making opportunities.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
For those who have already had a baby, which of these would be more useful? These aren't the exact ones I'd go for, but it's easier than describing them:

Baby bouncer chair, possibly with vibrations / lights / sounds

Cosy play nest thingy

My husband, who is a sucker for hoarding baby stuff, wants to buy one of each. I think that they basically serve the same function, and it'd be a waste of money. I just want something I can keep the baby in while I do stuff round the house (keeping a close eye of course!)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

netally posted:

For those who have already had a baby, which of these would be more useful? These aren't the exact ones I'd go for, but it's easier than describing them:

I had both, but at different stages. Bouncy chair was good for birth to fourish months when he basically just lay there and wiggled a bit, then the nest was good for when he could almost but not quite sit up.

If I could only have had one it would be the bouncer. The nest folds away pretty small when it is deflated and I got mine for under £10 on ebay so they don't have to cost too much.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The first one. We had this:

It was great for when I needed a shower, because I put baby in it, and then put it next to the shower cabinet. When I was doing things around the house I'd just put him down on the floor on a blanket or on an activity mat.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

netally posted:

Saved my sanity. I have one that swings and vibrates and emits sounds (did not use the sound part too much).

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I'm about 9 weeks along with our first kid. I started having morning sickness about 2 1/2 weeks ago...at first it was just a little nausea, nothing bad. Last week I was a mess, vomiting and unable to eat anything. This week I feel way better. I'm still a little nauseous, especially when I try to eat, but it's NOTHING like last week. I actually ate a whole bowl of cereal this morning without any puking.

Has anyone else ever had morning sickness lessen in intensity this fast or even before 12 weeks?? I'm pretty happy I'm not puking anymore but it seems weird.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

netally posted:

Cosy play nest thingy

My husband, who is a sucker for hoarding baby stuff, wants to buy one of each. I think that they basically serve the same function, and it'd be a waste of money. I just want something I can keep the baby in while I do stuff round the house (keeping a close eye of course!)

If you can only get one, I'd get the bouncy chair, they are great. However, depending on the particular chair you get, you may not be able to use it initially -- ours isn't reclined enough for a newborn and she just slumps down in it. So it's just waiting until she gets a bit stronger, and meanwhile I put her in the swing.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Bouncy seat! It's easy to shove in the car if you're going to visit people and will need a place to set the kid for a bit.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Casting my vote with the bouncy chair (with vibrations). I finally got around to putting batteries in the one my cousin gave me and it works like freaking magic in knocking a tired baby out or calming a fussy one down. Chris loves it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

rangergirl posted:

Has anyone else ever had morning sickness lessen in intensity this fast or even before 12 weeks?? I'm pretty happy I'm not puking anymore but it seems weird.

I didn't have morning sickness with either pregnancy so it just varies by woman/pregnancy.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

rangergirl posted:

I'm about 9 weeks along with our first kid. I started having morning sickness about 2 1/2 weeks ago...at first it was just a little nausea, nothing bad. Last week I was a mess, vomiting and unable to eat anything. This week I feel way better. I'm still a little nauseous, especially when I try to eat, but it's NOTHING like last week. I actually ate a whole bowl of cereal this morning without any puking.

Mine came on in waves from 8-16 weeks. Everyone's body is different. My friend was getting it all through the pregnancy and I've known other people who didn't get it at all.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Mine has already abated at 10 1/2 weeks. It went longer last time. I'm pretty thankful it's not sticking around this time, given that I am taking care of my toddler!

edit: Also, I meant to add that sometimes symptoms fade and then come back. Hopefully you don't have to go through that, but I've definitely seen it happen. And even when I was deep in the throes of morning sickness (or in the case of this pregnancy, afternoon sickness), I had days where it was nearly nonexistent, followed by days of grossness.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 13, 2012

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Bank posted:

As I'm thinking about this now, just curious, what does everyone do for child care? My wife and I are planning to stagger our leave at work so that we both get some quality time off, but what happens after the leave is up? I think we're in a good enough position where she can take a couple of years off work and take care of the baby, but say we run into tough times and don't have that luxury?

My husband and I made sure that I could stay home with our son for at least the first year of his life. We plan on enrolling him in part-time daycare when he's 2, for the social interaction and because we plan on having another kid soon. We're at 13-months here, and I love spending every day helping him grow and learn new things, and if something awesome happens like a first step or the discovery of a new skill I can share that with my husband via text or video message.

I know many people who put their careers on hold to raise kids, and I don't think any of them truly regret it.

If times get tough and I have to go back to work eventually, then we'll figure something out. But he's only a baby once.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
Word of caution with staying home when you plan to return to the work force. If you're in the US there are few if any protections for taking leave to take care of children. So do not expect your wife or yourself to return to employment at the same level/pay grade after a few months or a year. If you are planning to continue after a year or two then keep up with professional contacts, do part-time free lance work, keep up with trade publications. It's not just lost income for the time you're at home but for years afterward. The Price of Motherhood by Ann Crittenden has a good run down of the way this shakes out economically.

This goes triple for professional women, you have got to keep up with your peers on what's going on in your field if you want to come back after your child is in school.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I decided to stay home, but that's because I would end up leaving a stressful job that I didn't like very much and wouldn't have paid much more than what day care would've cost. So sticking my son in day care for 40 hours a week so I could go toil away at a stressful, dead end job? It was a no brainer.

Besides, I went to college for graphic design, and I have all sorts of opportunities for freelance work. So some time down the road I'll have a stronger portfolio and plenty of time to find a better job.

On the down side, I buy a stroller because Massachusetts was taking forever to turn to winter so I figure he's finally old enough that being out in 40 degree weather won't hurt him, and it freaking snows. I may have to go to a freaking mall or something, I'm going stir crazy.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I went back to work when my daughter was 8 weeks old. F- would not recommend unless you really love your job. :(

Thia
Oct 14, 2005

Bored now.
Thanks for all the advice on baby supplies everyone! I am planning on baby wearing and pumping when I go back to work. I'd seen multiple recommendations for the Moby wrap and Medela Pump in Style so I'll probably end up with those.

As far as morning sickness, I had it from about 6-9 weeks and it went away almost completely at 10. Then it came back for about a week at 12 weeks and now it's gone again. So I do think everyone's different!

I'm trying to decide if I'm going back to work full time or part time. I just graduated nursing school last May and I love my job but I want to spend time with the baby too. We're going to start researching different daycare options soon. I really would love to stay home full time, but I really think I would end up missing my work, and I definitely would feel out of touch and like a brand new nurse again if I went back a year or more after leaving. Plus it wouldn't be the best financial decision for us. I think it's often a tough decision in any situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I worked a very physical job and stopped working at 32 weeks. My boss(dad) had to find a suitable replacement, and that person left another job to take my place. Once I had Em (the baby), I couldn't exactly go back and say "well dude, sucks to be you, give me my job back".

So I stay home for now. My husband just took a job that pays nearly twice what he was making, plus I can cook cheap food into something healthy and delicious instead of working 12 hour days, so right now, we're actually taking home more than when both of us were working. We're still poor as poo poo, but we're paying our bills, and money is actually going into the bank, so that's good. If I needed to work again, my degree would be worthless (CAD and drafting) because I've been out of that job market for nearly 4 years, I'd have to work something entry level, retail, or watching kids or something.