Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

MikeJF posted:

Oh, look, the login server is down and I can't play multiplayer games.

And it still says DRM-free on the purchase page.

There was a message in the launcher and posts on Twitter about scheduled maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jin Wicked posted:

There was a message in the launcher and posts on Twitter about scheduled maintenance.

The fact that it claims there's no DRM means that I reserve the right to be pissed even if they warn me.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MikeJF posted:

The fact that it claims there's no DRM means that I reserve the right to be pissed even if they warn me.

"The fact I don't understand what DRM is means that I reserve the right to be a spoiled manchild if I can't play my virtual LEGOs whenever I want."

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
Scheduled maintenance is not loving DRM. As a matter of fact you can still connect to any server you like as long as it is setup accordingly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A requirement to login to the central, company-run server with your purchase account in order to connect to third-party multiplayer servers is DRM.

If the game were truly DRM-free, Mojang would not be able to remotely break the game.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think his point is that it shouldn't have to depend on Mojang being up to play multiplayer on someone unrelated's server. Which you can turn off with a variable, but aside from name faking I don't know why anyone cares about it that much.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

If anyone lost track of my minecraft comics, I'm still doing them over on the yogscast site. I know comics layout is really bad and hard to navigate but It's being worked on. Until then just click on the box to select a year, then click a month, and then hover over the sides of the comic to reveal the back and next buttons. They're reversed. All my comics are in January of this month, and then December, November, and maybe one in October of 2011. The ones with the blue top banner that are signed -cranberry, aren't done by me. Just the Pokedout and Creeperedout ones. There should be a new one up sometime today.

I'd really love feedback from people who aren't 13 for once.

https://yogscast.com/cmps_index.php?pageid=comics

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MikeJF posted:

Oh, look, the login server is down and I can't play multiplayer games.

And it still says DRM-free on the purchase page.

It is.

Not being able to play on some multiplayer servers doesn't change it.

MikeJF posted:

A requirement to login to the central, company-run server with your purchase account in order to connect to third-party multiplayer servers is DRM.

100% false!

You're like a Republican who calls anything he doesn't like communism.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think his point is that it shouldn't have to depend on Mojang being up to play multiplayer on someone unrelated's server. Which you can turn off with a variable, but aside from name faking I don't know why anyone cares about it that much.

Many server mods for preventing people from ransacking other players' houses and chests rely on the name to verify access. It's kind of a big deal to a lot of server owners.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

Should he just run a daily poll every time he adds a feature to check with the community if it's okay to patch yet, then? At what point does "No! Two months wasn't long enough, we need to see if there will be another buildcraft patch!" finally become "all right, you can add these features officially now."?

How about he patches when he has the API he promised months ago?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

It is.

Not being able to play on some multiplayer servers doesn't change it.

100% false!

You're like a Republican who calls anything he doesn't like communism.

Many server mods for preventing people from ransacking other players' houses and chests rely on the name to verify access. It's kind of a big deal to a lot of server owners.

It's not DRM but it is stupid.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Cheap Shot posted:

If anyone lost track of my minecraft comics, I'm still doing them over on the yogscast site. I know comics layout is really bad and hard to navigate but It's being worked on. Until then just click on the box to select a year, then click a month, and then hover over the sides of the comic to reveal the back and next buttons. They're reversed. All my comics are in January of this month, and then December, November, and maybe one in October of 2011. The ones with the blue top banner that are signed -cranberry, aren't done by me. Just the Pokedout and Creeperedout ones. There should be a new one up sometime today.

You're making a webcomic devoted to Minecraft jokes. What kind of audience were you expecting?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Login server stops people from spoofing usernames and bypassing whitelists. Itis the second dumbest thing to complain about.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

This isn't the first time an update has broken everything, you are officailly giving more of a poo poo about this than the modders themselves.

The last word on the API was that it would be done in march at the earliest. That was the promise made months ago.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

Cheap Shot posted:

Your jokes don't have punchlines. In scene 3 in almost all of them, it seems we're supposed to laugh at the reaction of one of the protagonists to the events in scene 2. But the settings are all minecraft, which is a boring environment, and the protagonists are all minecraft, which means that they're all soulless and have no character. And they're drawn in a minecraft way, which means they are boxy, plain textured and boring, artwise. You have to give the setting a level of interest that minecraft doesn't have, and you have to give the protagonists a personality that doesn't currently exist, and draw it so it's more visually appealing than minecraft is.

Maybe once you've done all that, I'll laugh at the dull drawings of the protagonist's dull reactions to their dull world. Until then, I will laugh at the mildly amusing drawings in the other comics (e.g. December 2011 Trine So Hard).

Your subject is your enemy

Edit: Having said that I liked the skyrim one (didn't even realise you'd done it originally), that was good. Maybe because it breaks the aforementioned cycle - different art, a protagonist we understand, varied settings, and a joke that is one shared between the author and the reader rather than the author and the protagonist - i.e. we laugh at the elder dragon checking his watch in scene 3 (as a followup to scene 1), because scene 2 has shown us that too bad for him, the player isn't coming to vanquish any dragon that isn't a skyrim one! My only criticism would be that in this one good (Minecraft related) comic, you've made the joke panels so drat tiny!

Injoduprelo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 13, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cheap Shot posted:

I know comics layout is really bad and hard to navigate but It's being worked on. Until then just click on the box to select a year, then click a month, and then hover over the sides of the comic to reveal the back and next buttons. They're reversed.

Seriously? Who designed the website?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Narxysus posted:

Your jokes don't have punchlines.

This isn't even close to true. Are you sure you're looking at the right ones ??

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Cheap Shot posted:

I won't lie, I found most of these quite amusing. However, I am a goony neckbearded spergaloon who has pretty low standards when it comes to ~VIDYA GAEM JOEKS~, so bear that in mind.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm kind of digging the Superflat option. Many times, I'm wanting to set something up either for a redstone test, or minecart poo poo. Not having to fight the lay of the land to do what I need is great.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Schwarzwald posted:

Seriously? Who designed the website?

I think the main problem is that Yogiverse wasn't designed for that kind of content.

But apart from that, I very much enjoyed the first Creeper'ed Outs, and the latest ones have been amusing, if not "laugh out loud" ones.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So from what I can see, the "fixed ladder collision" means you can't stand on top of a ladder anymore, which is actually kind of sucks. A ladder has to go all the way to the very top of an opening now in order to get out, which doesn't work with things like trap doors or pistons or other forms of sealed entrances.

badomen
Mar 8, 2004

Jamesman posted:

So from what I can see, the "fixed ladder collision" means you can't stand on top of a ladder anymore, which is actually kind of sucks. A ladder has to go all the way to the very top of an opening now in order to get out, which doesn't work with things like trap doors or pistons or other forms of sealed entrances.

I just tried this out on a ladder I have with a trap door on top - I could get out no problem?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I guess that depends on how far away the API is. If it's only two or three weeks down the line I wouldn't mind waiting, but if it's months away, not having any updates at all between now and then seems rather extreme.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I guess that depends on how far away the API is. If it's only two or three weeks down the line I wouldn't mind waiting, but if it's months away, not having any updates at all between now and then seems rather extreme.

Learn to download the snapshot. It's right there for people that want updates.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Minecraft is just so laughably behind schedule that, no matter what's in each patch, it just comes off as "not enough." The only patch that wouldn't get ridiculed at this point would be a "we literally rewrote all of the code and now the game runs smoothly and also the world height and depths are doubled" patch... or a mod API.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I don't think this was posted before. It's a long interview with the writer of Minecraft's end story.

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/09/ending-an-endless-game-an-int.html posted:

By the end of it I actually felt like I was taking dictation from the universe. Now, I’m sure there are many ways of interpreting that experience that don’t require cosmic voices from unknown entities to be talking to each other, but it actually did feel like I was taking dictation. So perhaps it is real wisdom in the story, who knows?

So I kind of thought the ending was supposed to be a joke, but apparently not. The writer took it very seriously, and he and Notch felt that they had created a deep and meaningful ending to the game. Unless this is all some kind of multilayered metajoke and I'm the one being a sucker here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm still sticking with my original opinion that the ending is loving bullshit and I have a right to be angry about something that is completely non-sequitur, out of left field, gives the player no personal reward, and has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself. No matter how serious (pretentious?) the guy was when he wrote it, it still doesn't belong in Minecraft and will make everyone who's not in on the joke (but apparently there wasn't one according to this guy) upset and disappointed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

something that is completely non-sequitur, out of left field, gives the player no personal reward, and has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself

I believe that's almost exactly what notch's tweet asking for ending text said it should be. :v:

(it's still bad, but notch didn't intend it to be serious at least, god knows what the writer thought)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

badomen posted:

I just tried this out on a ladder I have with a trap door on top - I could get out no problem?

If the trap door is on top and protruding out of your ground, then yeah, it'll work because you can get the ladder build up all the way to the top. But if you have your trap door built one block down to make it "flush" with the ground around it, then your ladder doesn't go all the way to the top since the last block is the trap door.

Before, this was fine, since you would stand on top of the ladder and then jump. But now you can't do that, so you have to make everything stick out now.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Install Gentoo posted:

I believe that's almost exactly what notch's tweet asking for ending text said it should be. :v:

(it's still bad, but notch didn't intend it to be serious at least, god knows what the writer thought)

You know a guy has totally lost touch with reality when he makes an in-joke "ironic" terrible ending to a game millions of people have bought.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

If the trap door is on top and protruding out of your ground, then yeah, it'll work because you can get the ladder build up all the way to the top. But if you have your trap door built one block down to make it "flush" with the ground around it, then your ladder doesn't go all the way to the top since the last block is the trap door.

Before, this was fine, since you would stand on top of the ladder and then jump. But now you can't do that, so you have to make everything stick out now.

I'm just wondering how long it will take for mods to pop up reinstating the normal behavior, followed swiftly (or perhaps not-so-swiftly) by the change being reverted by Jeb.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The latest from Notch is that the Mojang website and Minecraft stuff will all be closed on the 18th for a day as a protest against SOPA. Originally the plan was to have Minecraft be free to play for the day, then Rock Paper Shotgun said it might be seen as self promotion so this is plan B.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

The latest from Notch is that the Mojang website and Minecraft stuff will all be closed on the 18th for a day as a protest against SOPA. Originally the plan was to have Minecraft be free to play for the day, then Rock Paper Shotgun said it might be seen as self promotion so this is plan B.

"In protest I'm going to make it so that none of the people who bought my product can use my product."

How does he keep upping the ante with retarded crap?

At this point Notch should probably just move to Siberia and never touch a computer again.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
In protesting of removal of rights, they are going to remove ability (right) to play online?

Makes sense

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Learn to download the snapshot. It's right there for people that want updates.

Yeah, and what about people who play on multiplayer servers but still want updates?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Parkingtigers posted:

My favorite was him tweeting about him silently shutting down his site in protest.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Slickdrac posted:

In protesting of removal of rights, they are going to remove ability (right) to play online?

Makes sense

To be fair, that is kind of the point of the SOPA protests. A "Hey, this is what life could be like under that poo poo" warning shot.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Locus posted:

You know a guy has totally lost touch with reality when he makes an in-joke "ironic" terrible ending to a game millions of people have bought.

I love Minecraft in spite of all its flaws, but that ending text is truly insufferable.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Instead of that, couldn't Notch just silently shut down his Twitter account as a protest (and never open it up again)?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Jin Wicked posted:

I love Minecraft in spite of all its flaws, but that ending text is truly insufferable.

The Yogscast video was totally on the money.

"'Congratulations. You have beaten Minecraft.'"

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I can make half blocks and stairs out of cobble and stone brick.
Solid stone half blocks have a different texture than solid stone, and I can't make stairs out of it at all.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Leadthumb posted:

I can make half blocks and stairs out of cobble and stone brick.
Solid stone half blocks have a different texture than solid stone, and I can't make stairs out of it at all.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

You can also make half blocks but not stairs out of sandstone, but stairs & half blocks out of brick and wood, but the wood half blocks don't burn and need a pick to break successfully since they're still retextured stone as far as the game is concerned. :pseudo: