Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I hope Brandon was able to write 10k words in a day because of extensive notes/outlines and not because he's sacrificing quality for speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Maytag posted:

I hope Brandon was able to write 10k words in a day because of extensive notes/outlines and not because he's sacrificing quality for speed.

10k isn't all too much for first draft speed if you've got an outline and are writing fulltime. Its revision that's the bitch, at least in my experience.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I just want the book to be awesome, I don't mind waiting longer for it. Also I really like Brandon and don't want him saying a few years down the road "Gee I really wish I had put more time into it."

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Well, they've said that they are going to take their time with this one for exactly that reason. It's the final book of a series that's been running for more than 20 years; they don't want to gently caress it up.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

10k was only the final day, when he basicly wrote for 20 hours straight. His daily goal was 3k or so.
I hope the 10 months he mentioned isn't the planned release date, I hope they do not delay it just for holiday sales, because realisticly who is going to buy this book who doesn't already have the first 13?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
10k is still ridiculous. Steven King only does 2k, and that's Steven Friggin' King.

I had a week off from work and decided I would set 2k as my writing goal per day. I finished the week with 14k done, but I felt wasted by the end of it all. I guess Sanderson has just built up incredible mind muscles for it or something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really can't wait till WOT is wrapped up and he can start cranking out an epic Stormlight book along with a smaller secondary book each year. :allears:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Part of it is that Sanderson's just a beast, but it's also that he incentivizes his writing. He'll set a goal and, if he meets that goal, he'll open a new deck of Magic cards. This works because he's a goal-oriented geek. Then there's the super-detailed notes he has, left by RDJ and Harriet. The real creating part has been done, so there's a much lower drain on his mental batteries.

And of course, I'm sure there's some motivation with finally finishing The Wheel of loving Time.

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

I really can't wait till WOT is wrapped up and he can start cranking out an epic Stormlight book along with a smaller secondary book each year. :allears:

I remember reading somewhere (I think his blog) that he was going to do 2 Stormlight books every 3 years. Book #2 is not supposed to be out till something like mid 2013. If you check his blog he has not even started writing #2 yet, mostly due finishing WoT. But he did finish his first revision of Memory of Light and supposedly he is aiming for a Fall release.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Finally finished, good book. I'd say it's about 200 pages too long and tends to repeat itself until it becomes distracting. You'd think WoT would make me immune to that.
It also feels like he knew where the ending was going and foreshadows a LOT of it really blatantly. It just becomes frustrating as a reader to basically know the broad strokes of what is going to happen, but be put through a lengthy process of it spooling out.
For example, it becomes clear what Kaladin's whole business is fairly early on, and even though the abilities we know he's going to possess have been demonstrated REPEATEDLY, including in the prologue even, we still have to sit through a rather dry exposition of him discovering them. Really, Kaladin's entire plotline is trite and kind of on rails.
To me, this is why Shallan's plotline reveals were more interesting, since they were nowhere near as telegraphed and not as formulaic.
Scenes like Dalinar confronting Elhokar are much more satisfying since they drive the story forward instead of just giving us what we already know is coming.

The wrap-up felt a LITTLE chainyank-y toward the end, very WHAT A TWIST in places, but eh, the reveals themselves were interesting enough to counter that pretty effectively.

Anyway, good stuff. Hopefully he tightens up his pacing(A LOT), I figure a lot of the troubles with this one is the new world-building, now that he's got a foundation and some well-fleshed out characters, he should be able to maintain better momentum? Quit with the flashbacks, dude.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

AlternateAccount posted:

Anyway, good stuff. Hopefully he tightens up his pacing(A LOT), I figure a lot of the troubles with this one is the new world-building, now that he's got a foundation and some well-fleshed out characters, he should be able to maintain better momentum? Quit with the flashbacks, dude.

I think that's what the general consensus is on the first book: a lot of world building that needed to happen early.

The first Wheel of Time book is kind of similar in that a lot of it is just traveling around the Westlands to give an idea of scale, personalities/cultures, introduce characters that will be important later and just general world building.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Just found this linked in Brandon's latest blog post: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982781245?tag=monkeyslothst-20

I want it so bad.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

It also feels like he knew where the ending was going and foreshadows a LOT of it really blatantly. It just becomes frustrating as a reader to basically know the broad strokes of what is going to happen, but be put through a lengthy process of it spooling out.
For example, it becomes clear what Kaladin's whole business is fairly early on, and even though the abilities we know he's going to possess have been demonstrated REPEATEDLY, including in the prologue even, we still have to sit through a rather dry exposition of him discovering them. Really, Kaladin's entire plotline is trite and kind of on rails.
To me, this is why Shallan's plotline reveals were more interesting, since they were nowhere near as telegraphed and not as formulaic.

I agree with the on rails thing, but I liked Kaladin's story because when he did do his final "power up," it was satisfying and :black101: :rock: :black101: as gently caress. In my opinion, at least.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Democratic Pirate posted:

I agree with the on rails thing, but I liked Kaladin's story because when he did do his final "power up," it was satisfying and :black101: :rock: :black101: as gently caress. In my opinion, at least.

Me too, but he's definitely the flattest character in the book. His only flaw is that he doesn't believe in himself hard enough. :rolleyes:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After looking for something to read in the Dresden thread, I just burned through the Mistborn Trilogy (and The Alloy of Law) in 4 days. :stare:
Needless to say, I really liked it.

I'm probably going to rest my eyes for a couple of days but what should I read next from Sanderson?

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Me too, but he's definitely the flattest character in the book. His only flaw is that he doesn't believe in himself hard enough. :rolleyes:

I personally thought he was an amazing character. I can agree with you on one point though. It did take awhile for his character to go through the transformation that you just knew was going to happen. But when it finally happened, it was one of the most satisfying parts of the book. It might have been telegraphed and long winded, but I prefer a too much back-story and world-building to too little.

The main chicks character was extremely interesting, but I think Dalindar is the most interesting character. I have a theory of who he really is (posted a couple pages back), but even if I am wrong, I think he be the most interesting character in the series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished the first Mistborn novel and while I probably don't have anything to worry, I heard the next two aren't quite as good, but I feel like blind buying them at B&N tomorrow, so do they get a goon recommendation?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

computer parts posted:

I just finished the first Mistborn novel and while I probably don't have anything to worry, I heard the next two aren't quite as good, but I feel like blind buying them at B&N tomorrow, so do they get a goon recommendation?

They're just different. I love the entire series. But if I had to be 100% honest, here's how I'd explain each book's faults:

Book 1 is basically Ocean's Eleven with allomancy. Its biggest failing is being overly expository at times.

Book 2's biggest failing is the dreadfully slow second act.

Book 3's biggest failing is that (a certain popular character)spends most of the book whining and crying.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vaevicti posted:

I personally thought he was an amazing character. I can agree with you on one point though. It did take awhile for his character to go through the transformation that you just knew was going to happen. But when it finally happened, it was one of the most satisfying parts of the book. It might have been telegraphed and long winded, but I prefer a too much back-story and world-building to too little.

The main chicks character was extremely interesting, but I think Dalindar is the most interesting character. I have a theory of who he really is (posted a couple pages back), but even if I am wrong, I think he be the most interesting character in the series.

Shallan has the conflict of her motivations and her new potential along with serious self-discovery going on.

Dalinar is struggling to hold onto his beliefs in the face of unanimous opposition, his situation with his wife and oh god, I might be crazy.

Kaladin is borderline EMO, but I guess that can be excused for his situation. If it were not for his unique uhhh, nature, he would have died a miserable death full of self-doubt and loathing. The divine hand of plot-providence reaches down and gives him what he needs to overcome his obstacles. I just never bought into his scene at the chasm. Nothing ever goes into where or how he learned these leadership skills, really. Nothing ever explains his extremely powerful will.
Sure, the story around him is pretty awesome, but the character himself is just blehhhhhhh.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I thought the flashbacks (although I found them the weakest part of the book, because they were a bit boring) did a good job establishing how he learned his leadership skills (by leading man in battle before, by being betrayed and abandoned before for trusting others to be "good") and the reason/motivation for his willpower.

Overall, Shallan was the story and the character I liked most, even with the (unintentionally) flat falling jokes and wit of hers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Nothing ever goes into where or how he learned these leadership skills, really. Nothing ever explains his extremely powerful will.

He learned them in the army he joined with his brother.

Some people are just strong willed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know. He wasn't in the army THAT long, and for most people, learning to lead effectively is a hard-fought skill, with Kaladin it just seems to come unnaturally easy, especially when his earlier flashbacks give no hint of it. In his introductory chapter, he's already this revered leader.

Blah, I am not going to keep bashing on the guy, and I will pre-order the next book. I'd just like a little more depth on the next go around.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know. He wasn't in the army THAT long, and for most people, learning to lead effectively is a hard-fought skill, with Kaladin it just seems to come unnaturally easy, especially when his earlier flashbacks give no hint of it. In his introductory chapter, he's already this revered leader.

Blah, I am not going to keep bashing on the guy, and I will pre-order the next book. I'd just like a little more depth on the next go around.

He talks about how he led several groups of guys in his many failed escape attempts. Part of the reason his character works for me is because Kaladin is a guy who has failed doing the same thing over and over again--forming a band of men who can help themselves--and is ready to give up. His plot is a very nice trend breaker in modern fantasy where the more noble a person is, the more they get screwed over. GRRM would have let him get to the point where he thought he was going to succeed, then knifed him in the back.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gmq posted:

After looking for something to read in the Dresden thread, I just burned through the Mistborn Trilogy (and The Alloy of Law) in 4 days. :stare:
Needless to say, I really liked it.

I'm probably going to rest my eyes for a couple of days but what should I read next from Sanderson?

Any of them are fine really. Feel free to pick one and discuss it here as you read it. Most of us are good with spoilers. If you want my opinion, go with his first book, Elantris, then move on to Warbreaker, and finish up with The Way of Kings.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

If you want my opinion, go with his first book, Elantris, then move on to Warbreaker, and finish up with The Way of Kings.

This is the order I would go in as well, also Warbreaker is free on his site if you dont mind ebooks.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Cartoon Man posted:

If you want my opinion, go with his first book, Elantris, then move on to Warbreaker, and finish up with The Way of Kings.

This is a good order, but also

Cartoon Man posted:

Any of them are fine really.

this is good too. :)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Also, keep in mind that he's gotten better with every book, so Elantris is noticeably rougher than anything he's written after. It's still really worth reading, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Especially in combination with the online annotations, as it gives a facinating insight into the development of this "novel debut".

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Clockwork Gadget posted:

This is a good order, but also

I actually read Way of Kings first then went to Mistborn. That was mostly due to him doing a little Q&A on reddit about the book, so I figured if an author was cool enough to do that, I should read his book. Not a bad decision!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I don't quite understand the Kaladin hate (maybe 'hate' is a strong word) I'm seeing here. When reading WoK, I actually skipped the Shallan and Dalinar chapters to see what happened next with Kaladin. He was my favorite character by far!

Although admittedly, I skipped some of the flashbacks parts, since the way the story was written, I knew exactly what was going to happen in them (with the exception of finding out Kaladin had a chance at a shardblade and turned it down, only to get screwed over).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm reading Warbreaker still, and I have a question. Does Vivenna ever become interesting? I've never actually considered skipping character stories before, but she's just so boring. If it helps, her story currently has her hanging out with Vasher, just learning how to Awaken.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

syphon posted:

I don't quite understand the Kaladin hate (maybe 'hate' is a strong word) I'm seeing here. When reading WoK, I actually skipped the Shallan and Dalinar chapters to see what happened next with Kaladin. He was my favorite character by far!

Although admittedly, I skipped some of the flashbacks parts, since the way the story was written, I knew exactly what was going to happen in them (with the exception of finding out Kaladin had a chance at a shardblade and turned it down, only to get screwed over).

In relation to your spoiler: He actually turned down the shardplate as well.

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

Kruller posted:

I'm reading Warbreaker still, and I have a question. Does Vivenna ever become interesting? I've never actually considered skipping character stories before, but she's just so boring. If it helps, her story currently has her hanging out with Vasher, just learning how to Awaken.

Yes, she becomes interesting. Can't really say any more without spoiling it for you.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Kruller posted:

She gets a little better towards the end, but she's one of the less interesting characters in the book. I liked when she was with Vasher, though, because Vasher is such a good character.

Edit: added spoiler tags

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

pakman posted:

I actually read Way of Kings first then went to Mistborn.

Yeah, really any order works for Brandon's books, imo. Personally, I read half of WoK, lost my copy of the book in a move, read Warbreaker, repurchased and finished WoK, then read Mistborn, Elantris, and Alloy of Law.

So I went half of newest book, second newest book, rest of newest book, middle trilogy, oldest book, and then the NEW newest book that came out in the mean time. :downs: So when I say any reading order, I really do mean ANY reading order.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Kaladin is my favorite character. I don't give a gently caress how conventional, or trite, or contrived, or hackneyed his character or arc may be (although I'd argue that it's only any of those on the shallowest surface read), I love reading his chapters. Even the flashbacks.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

syphon posted:

I think that's really the problem. He's not a horrible character, but his flashbacks were so soul-crushingly boring and predictable that my hatred of them transferred to him. When that reveal happened, I was thinking "oh god finally the flashbacks are over".

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
So I recommended Sanderson to my mom, and she wrote him to compliment him on his work. He then wrote back to thank her and tell her to thank me on his behalf. Such a chill dude.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I popped in to say I'm really liking Way of Kings, and Sanderson does a really job at world building.

Now I am sad because I couldn't keep my mouse off the spoiler tags :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Vaevicti posted:

Yes, she becomes interesting. Can't really say any more without spoiling it for you.

I finished it, and I have to say, you are a big smelly liar. She stayed boring the entire time. She was totally, 100% useless, except as a battery. That book focused way too much on her and way too little on Siri. I still liked it, though. Off to read Elantris!