Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I guess you crazy kids inspired the TV Nihon guys to get working again.

zari-gani posted:

You are correct. I used to have an affinity towards lobsters.

That's the weirdest otherkin I've ever heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

That's the weirdest otherkin I've ever heard of.
It's the internet. There's something for everyone! (yes, safe and cutesy link for the understandably wary)

Crayfish are cool but I hate 'em anyway. When you line a running irrigation ditch in wetlands, you gotta deal with those things brushing up against your legs and poo poo and snipping at you like they're some kind of motherfucking underwater centipede.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Battletoads Part2 is about to start live in less than an hour. Anyone know any good live stream for Fuji TV.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Oh man, totally forgot this was the beginning of season 3. That means the first appearance of Urakawa. :neckbeard:

e: the back and forth with Abe is fantastic.

I loved Urakawa's debut. Being late for his first show was funny. His little chat with Abe was great.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I also never really thought this would happen, guess I'll see if their style has changed on it somewhere later today.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I have two questions: how common is it for subtitle groups who are working on the same show to talk it out and make sure they aren't covering the same material?

Also, is there any etiquette in the fan-sub community about respecting another group's turf, or is it "Hey, we want to do our translations our way, so you guys be damned?" This isn't meant as an attack on TV Nihon, but rather, more just a general query.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Does this show get Japanese subtitles like dramas do? Does Arino use a lot of Kansai slang and twenty year-old cultural references?

No, not even the DVD's have subtitles.

I have been told that Arino uses a fair amount of Kansai slang but I don't know enough to really comment on that.

And the show is one long twenty year old cultural reference.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have two questions: how common is it for subtitle groups who are working on the same show to talk it out and make sure they aren't covering the same material?

Also, is there any etiquette in the fan-sub community about respecting another group's turf, or is it "Hey, we want to do our translations our way, so you guys be damned?" This isn't meant as an attack on TV Nihon, but rather, more just a general query.

Keep in mind that for everyone on the SA Team this is our first time doing anything like this. We all jumped in feet first to a massive project that we thought no one else was working on. So we won't be able to speak from experience on the subject.

However, it's my understanding that cooperation between subtitling groups is about as rare as you can get. Clover, the mystery team (I can't say anything about them and it's possible they may never have a release), and ourselves have talked to avoid stepping on each others toes; we all just want to spread the GCCX love and there's plenty to go around. As far as I can tell this kind of relationship is not normal.

Edit: One more thing. The French subtitling group is still out there and doing episodes. I just found their translation of the original Takeshi's Challenge segment (that's a video link, of course). Nice to see GCCX getting more global.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 12, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I have been told that Arino uses a fair amount of Kansai slang but I don't know enough to really comment on that.

And the show is one long twenty year old cultural reference.

Arino speaks Kansai Japanese, but it's the typical 'comedian' type easily understood Kansai-ben often seen on TV, which is easily understandable by anyone who knows Japanese. It's mostly a difference of some particles, intonation, and a probably a few words.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

He uses tons of the dialect. Tons and tons. Everywhere he can, essentially. The SA translation team handles it very well, usually by having him drop his final G's. Kansai is my people, and hearing the dialect has only made Arino that much more adorable in my eyes (ears?). Just listening to a GCCX video running in the background will put a big goofy smile on my face.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I know it's been said before many times, but that recent episode really hammered home how much better SAGCCX and clover translations are than tv-nihon's. Tons of inconsistently untranslated words and really awkward literal translations.

I'll take more translated GCCX any way I can get it, but SAGCCX versions of their episodes later down the line would be awesome.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh hey, the Moshi-Moshi segment for the awful Monkey/Saiyuuki game starts in this one, right? I'm partway through writing up a TV IV post for that show. :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's right. That strange Journey to the West game starts in this episode and Arino makes some amusing phone calls to try to get help just figuring out what he's supposed to be doing.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I had no idea it was ever a game until I saw this segment on other season 3 episodes. Does anyone know how popular the tv show was/is over there? I can't find much info.

Can't watch this until later, looking forward to seeing him struggle through for the first time.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Crayfish are cool but I hate 'em anyway. When you line a running irrigation ditch in wetlands, you gotta deal with those things brushing up against your legs and poo poo and snipping at you like they're some kind of motherfucking underwater centipede.

My dad sells them to pet stores sometimes and I used to have to catch them in the back yard for transporting. It's awesome how much personality they seem to have. Then one dies and literally ruins the whole pond they were in so the whole thing has to be drained and cleaned. :argh:

Random Stranger posted:

That sounds rough. :aaa:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The raw for episode #133 Battletoads Part2 is finnaly up on the usual Japanese blog. It was uploaded pretty quickly. Hope the OP gets updated with the link.

http://ginfo377.blog26.fc2.com/blog-entry-450.html

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

FredMSloniker posted:

That whole episode is sad, because the ending he's shooting for can only be obtained by finishing the game in an hour or less. Which he's never told. And there's absolutely no way he's going to get it first try. And he doesn't know he's going to need to reset and try again, so he just keeps playing. It's just doomed from the start, and knowing that is so :smith:

That's the best/worst part about this show for me at times. I remember just how hard it is to achieve the challenge he's going for and have a small laugh, then realize the poor guy's going to be beating his head against a wall to try and make it.

But Arino's so awesome, I still love seeing him try. :allears:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In the 2nd Battletoads episode, I love when they emphasize Arino's first continue mishap for 2012. I wonder how long until he has another continue mishap?

joek0 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 12, 2012

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

sweet spoilers broheim

Also congrats to TV Nihon for hell freezing over I suppose. your work is always way better though, because you guys actually give a poo poo.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I really do hope TV-Nihon pushes out episode 12 within a reasonable time-frame as that's a personal favorite of mine.

To quote myself from the previous thread:

quote:

Episode 12 突撃!風雲たけし城 (Totsugeki! Fuun Takeshi-jou!). I'm not sure if he's used it in any others. It looked exhausting to play with and it did a number on his hair.

Edit for pictures:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Was looking through the Game Center CX V book again. Anyone recognize this spot?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Was looking through the Game Center CX V book again. Anyone recognize this spot?

http://g.co/maps/hmpm9

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

I really do hope TV-Nihon pushes out episode 12 within a reasonable time-frame as that's a personal favorite of mine.

To quote myself from the previous thread:

That episode is right up there for me too. Season 3 was one of the best seasons of the show all told.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paper Lion posted:

Also congrats to TV Nihon for hell freezing over I suppose. your work is always way better though, because you guys actually give a poo poo.

Oh definitely. TV Nihon, I mean it's cool that they're doin' poo poo again, but it's always very literal and unlocalized. They just straight up say sempai and italicize the phonetic clipped English loanwords, after all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

That episode is right up there for me too. Season 3 was one of the best seasons of the show all told.

I think season 15 might wind up being the best season yet. The only challenge I'd consider a complete clunker is F-Zero (the adventure game based on the long running television series wasn't that interesting either but that may get better with understanding it more). This season's biggest weakness is that the supplemental segments haven't been as good as some of the earlier ones (though showing off terrible famicom peripherals has been fun).

I suspect that a lot of that has been due to AD Takahashi. If the books and other statements are to be believed the AD has a lot of influence in the game selection.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

:nws:Oh no, Arino, tell me you didn't come to the USA for this.:nws: :ohdear:

I wonder if taking the photo there was intentional for the comedy option?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Probably obvious by now, but this is right next door to South Town Arcade. You can see it on the Google link from before it got rid of the Hair Studio sign. They shot one of the segment bumpers in the show in the same spot.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Wow the new AD is a badass. He loving rocked battletoads I had no idea that was possible.

Edit: Even the announcer is actively rooting for Arino this is amazing

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 13, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, it's appreciated, but TV Nihon a very low third (as in, very close to the red bar of KOTAK) in the pantheon of GCCX localization.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Late delivery but

taopriest posted:

Kacho + Polysics = winning

I like Polysics too. I went to one of the concerts a few years ago. Best $20 I ever spent.

Anyway thanks, your comment inspired me to draw some bizarre fanart.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I'm ashamed of myself for skipping to the end of that Battletoads episode to see if he succeeded or not. But that crazy motherfucker actually did it. I'm genuinely surprised, as I beat the game myself when I was a kid and can sympathize with his struggle.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

zari-gani posted:

This is awesome even out of context.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Late delivery but

I like Polysics too. I went to one of the concerts a few years ago. Best $20 I ever spent.

押す!戦え!課長オン!

Osu! Tatakae! Kachou on!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

Just dropping in to say that Polysics shows are amazing. Especially the ones in North America where they're not that crowded and you can stand right next to the stage. It's a shame Kayo, the keyboardist, left the band.

That fanart is nothing short of incredible and I may very well turn it into a wallpaper. I'm almost caught up on all translated episodes which is something I never thought I'd have to say!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw their last tour in Phoenix before Kayo left. One of the most memorable shows of my life.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

zari-gani posted:

Amazing work. This needs to be in the OP :D

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is it just me or did that UFO catcher with the money in the Tamage segment play Sonic music?

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

Zeether posted:

Is it just me or did that UFO catcher with the money in the Tamage segment play Sonic music?

Probably! Sega makes a lot of those UFO catchers machine and play songs from Sonic the Hedgehog. I heard Starlight Zone once.

Bahustard
Jul 5, 2008
http://kotaku.com/5875856/this-could-be-your-last-chance-to-see-retro-game-master
Well, that answers that. While I don't want to sound like I'm dancing on the grave or anything, the question will come up eventually: Are the old, overlapping episodes going to be restored after the fact?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've still not seen most of the Kotaku episodes, because licensing laws seem to forget that there are still human beings living outside of America. I do hope to see the SAGCCX subs of the applicable episodes return after Kotaku lose their license.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Oh I can only dream how good a SA version of the Ninja Gaiden episode would be. Also it kind of amazes me how many people know of RGM but not the amazing work done here. Anytime I see it on twitter I make sure to send a reply with the thread URL.