Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Of course it's not official.

edit: well now that I've sniped I'll ask crofts again. Where's Squigly?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Buhbuhj posted:

Of course it's not official.

edit: well now that I've sniped I'll ask crofts again. Where's Squigly?!

Nowhere because she's a dumb character who will never be in the game.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Niddhogg posted:

Nidd I'm breaking loose because of your socal attitude!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
So how does the infinite prevention system interact with assists? If I do LP MP HP assist hits LP MP HP is that 2 sections or 3? Given the weirdness shown with Cerebella's assist earlier I am confused.

The IPS seems like a tricky design problem in that while the basic rule ("don't start a chain with a move you've already used") is very simple, in order to make combos that intuitively seem like they 'should' work actually work, they've had to add more exceptions which make the system harder to understand. I think they struck a decent balance between having a comprehensible set of rules and letting people do combos they feel like they should be able to do, but the entire system is far from ideal really.

Mike Z's insistence that the system is "not hard to understand" when so many people are evidently having trouble understanding it is kind of funny too. The entire attitude of "I'm just going to dismiss user perceptions that I perceive as inaccurate" strikes me as odd from a self-proclaimed Designer. At the same time, the fact that he's pretty much making a game for himself means we aren't going to get stupid balance changes and kowtowing to the demands of bads, so double-edged sword I guess.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 12, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

So how does the infinite prevention system interact with assists? If I do LP MP HP assist hits LP MP HP is that 2 sections or 3? Given the weirdness shown with Cerebella's assist earlier I am confused.

That is 2 sections, since you are (technically) linking HP into LP.

Also the assist is remembered, so if you use an assist in a combo then DHC that character in and start a section of a combo with that same move, you will trigger an infinite. This almost never comes up though.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

Also the assist is remembered, so if you use an assist in a combo then DHC that character in and start a section of a combo with that same move, you will trigger an infinite.

This doesn't seem ideal. If the assist call is limited to once per combo anyway (I'm assuming it is, like Marvel) I don't see why it's important to remember the assist called move. If you DHC to another character and then do that move that sounds like fair play to me, I'd be confused as a player if someone busted out of an "infinite" as I start a combo with a brand new character.

As you say, I'm sure it hardly ever comes up, but it seems like an intentional design choice so it seems like something that maybe needs more consideration or at least explanation.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
That does seem consistent in that it's just hitting with a move you've already hit with though. I'm not sure what would constitute 'starting a section' with an assist though? Would that just be the assist connecting and there being a neutral state before the point's next move?

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 12, 2012

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Mike Z's insistence that the system is "not hard to understand" when so many people are evidently having trouble understanding it is kind of funny too. The entire attitude of "I'm just going to dismiss user perceptions that I perceive as inaccurate" strikes me as odd from a self-proclaimed Designer. At the same time, the fact that he's pretty much making a game for himself means we aren't going to get stupid balance changes and kowtowing to the demands of bads, so double-edged sword I guess.

I think his point is that he could explain it until he's blue in the face but it will make sense once people play the game. I can see why he'd be frustrated trying to describe something when he could just wait until the game is really out in the wild and having everyone "get it" at the same time.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Let me see if I understand this properly, a series of canceled moves is a section and a new section begins when and only when you finish a move's recovery without canceling it, thereby returning to a standing or air neutral state. IPS only kicks in if you start a section with an attack that you aleady used to start a previous section (except the first ground section, which is entirely ignored). That's the sum total of it right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Niddhogg posted:

I hated her until I saw the picture of her in Ouroborus Stance and now I'm sad she's gone, but not as sad as Umbrella because she's still the best.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Let me see if I understand this properly, a series of canceled moves is a section and a new section begins when and only when you finish a move's recovery without canceling it, thereby returning to a standing or air neutral state. IPS only kicks in if you start a section with an attack that you aleady used to start a previous section (except the first ground section, which is entirely ignored). That's the sum total of it right?

Basically kind of? But sections also start when you jump cancel a launcher, or when you airdash cancel an air move.

quote:

That does seem consistent in that it's just hitting with a move you've already hit with though. I'm not sure what would constitute 'starting a section' with an assist though? Would that just be the assist connecting and there being a neutral state before the point's next move?

I mean starting a section with a move that you already used as an assist. Like if I landed cerebella cr.LP assist, DHC'd cerebella in, and then did OTG cr.LP all in one combo, that would trigger an infinite.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Countblanc posted:

I hated her until I saw the picture of her in Ouroborus Stance and now I'm sad she's gone, but not as sad as Umbrella because she's still the best.

Those 5000 gimmick stances weren't gonna be in the game.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Jmcrofts posted:

Basically kind of? But sections also start when you jump cancel a launcher, or when you airdash cancel an air move.

I mean starting a section with a move that you already used as an assist. Like if I landed cerebella cr.LP assist, DHC'd cerebella in, and then did OTG cr.LP all in one combo, that would trigger an infinite.

Still the general rule of "a section is a series of cancled attacks, if you do anything but cancel into an attack you're starting a new section" holds and seems like the simplest way to explain it. Does an assist hit always start a new section or can it hit in the middle of a section?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't understand what is starting a section with an assist though. If an assist connects in the middle of my chain, I assume that doesn't start a new section?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Still the general rule of "a section is a series of cancled attacks, if you do anything but cancel into an attack you're starting a new section" holds and seems like the simplest way to explain it. Does an assist hit always start a new section or can it hit in the middle of a section?

Depends. If I do something like cr.lp, cr.mp+assist hits, cr.HP, then it is only one section provided all 3 normals hit. If I did like cr.lp, cr.mp, cr.hp, assist hits, cr.LP, then the cr.LP is starting a new section.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Jmcrofts posted:

That is 2 sections, since you are (technically) linking HP into LP.

Also the assist is remembered, so if you use an assist in a combo then DHC that character in and start a section of a combo with that same move, you will trigger an infinite. This almost never comes up though.

Jmcrofts posted:

Depends. If I do something like cr.lp, cr.mp+assist hits, cr.HP, then it is only one section provided all 3 normals hit. If I did like cr.lp, cr.mp, cr.hp, assist hits, cr.LP, then the cr.LP is starting a new section.

These two seem to imply that an assist itself never starts a new section, thus I don't understand how it triggers infinite prevention. :confused:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

These two seem to imply that an assist itself never starts a new section, thus I don't understand how it triggers infinite prevention. :confused:

The assist doesn't trigger it. But when you switch in that character to point, you use the move that you had set as their assist. The move is remembered when you use it as the assist, and then it triggers the IPS when you use it on point.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Oooooh *slaps forehead* okay that makes a lot more sense lol

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Jmcrofts posted:

The assist doesn't trigger it. But when you switch in that character to point, you use the move that you had set as their assist. The move is remembered when you use it as the assist, and then it triggers the IPS when you use it on point.

Wait, but only the first move of a section matters right? When does the assist count as the first attack of the section? In your "cr.lp, cr.mp, cr.hp, assist hits, cr.lp" example you said the cr.lp would be the start of a new section, is the assist in this example a section all by itself or lumped in with the first 3 hits?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Wait, but only the first move of a section matters right? When does the assist count as the first attack of the section? In your "cr.lp, cr.mp, cr.hp, assist hits, cr.lp" example you said the cr.lp would be the start of a new section, is the assist in this example a section all by itself or lumped in with the first 3 hits?

Any move you've done previously in the combo can't be used to start a chain

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Do Parasoul's napalm tears have a set duration or do they just stay on screen until you detonate them?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

SpaceBees posted:

Do Parasoul's napalm tears have a set duration or do they just stay on screen until you detonate them?

Whichever comes first. You can detonate them with her charge down/up move (Napalm Pillar), if they're shot by another tear, or after a few seconds.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
That should make doing her combos a bit easier.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

PalmTreeFun posted:

Whichever comes first. You can detonate them with her charge down/up move (Napalm Pillar), if they're shot by another tear, or after a few seconds.

Touching them with any move that has flames on it will detonate them too I think.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
wrong thread!

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
This thread is moving a bit slow, so here's some more SoCal Regionals videos:

Round 3: Koyunlu vs. Copperdabbit
Round 4: Baloney O's vs OFC Kingsley
Round 5: Copperdabbit vs. At My Limit
Round 6: Oddo3 vs. Shinatproof
Round 7: Baloney O's vs. Dantarion

Enjoy!

Edit: Fixed spelling error.

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 14, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Jetpack Postman posted:

This thread is moving a bit slow, so here's some more SoCal Regionals videos:

Round 3: Kyonulu vs. Copperdabbit

at this point everyone's just misspelling Koyunlu just to gently caress with me aren't they :smith:

labeling them as "round 3-round 7" is kind of inaccurate, these are all from the top 8.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Nerokerubina posted:

at this point everyone's just misspelling Koyunlu just to gently caress with me aren't they :smith:

labeling them as "round 3-round 7" is kind of inaccurate, these are all from the top 8.

It's how they're labeled on the video listing.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Jetpack Postman posted:

It's how they're labeled on the video listing.

Yeah I'm just pointing out that the video listing is kind of misleading!

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
This is all subjective but watching those top 8 videos confirmed to me how little I like this game's aesthetics.

- The backgrounds are very nice looking and I appreciate the character animation but a lot of the colors blend into the background too easily (in the "Round 3" video I found it really hard to follow Peacock's projectiles.) Also there doesn't seem to be any distinction in the character portraits of their color by team? I think you can do custom colors but I'm assuming anything that makes it a visual challenge to see your character won't be allowed in tournaments?

- The voice acting. I know this isn't a big budget Capcom production or anything, but outside of the announcer and Peacock (which are really well-done and memorable) the rest of the voice cast is either forgettable or really bad. Ms. Fortune is particular is grating.

I'll wait for the finished product to decide but right now I don't think this is a day 1 auto-buy for me.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 14, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

CubsWoo posted:

This is all subjective but watching those top 8 videos confirmed to me how little I like this game's aesthetics.

- The backgrounds are very nice looking and I appreciate the character animation but a lot of the colors blend into the background too easily (in the "Round 3" video I found it really hard to follow Peacock's projectiles.) Also there doesn't seem to be any distinction in the character portraits of their color by team? I think you can do custom colors but I'm assuming anything that makes it a visual challenge to see your character won't be allowed in tournaments?

- The voice acting. I know this isn't a big budget Capcom production or anything, but outside of the announcer and Peacock (which are really well-done and memorable) the rest of the voice cast is either forgettable or really bad. Ms. Fortune is particular is grating.

I'll wait for the finished product to decide but right now I don't think this is a day 1 auto-buy for me.

Are you telling me that 'Get ready for a SHOWSTOPPER!' isn't memorable? Man, you need to do something about those ears. Admittedly, the quotes from Filia and Ms. Fortune are kinda eh, but Peacock, Parasoul and Cerebella are all great.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I love Ms. Fortune's voice clips. My only real complaint(which is admittedly dumb as gently caress) is that it bugs me that Parasoul has like 3 or 4 different voice clips with different inflections for Napalm Shot.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
So Squigly is confirmed to be cut? I must have missed something somewhere.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
It's a good line, but it's one line. The rest of Cerebella's VA is just flat. Parasoul's VA seems bored for lack of a better term. Maybe that's the direction (elite squad leader/princess who's just utterly sick of fighting and wants to be done with it and go home) but the line deliveries feel like they're being read off a script.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
This might be the best FG this year but I'm not going to buy it because the voice acting and the colors. Time to play UMvC3 where everyone says "YOU LIKE THAT??!"

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So Squigly is confirmed to be cut? I must have missed something somewhere.

It was confirmed on the SRK forums that Squigly and Umbrella would not be members of the initial cast but they'll be early DLC. Something about not having the budget to do 10 characters at launch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

This might be the best FG this year but I'm not going to buy it because the voice acting and the colors. Time to play UMvC3 where everyone says "YOU LIKE THAT??!"

Hey man the VAs just wanted to make sure that Im having a good time playing their videogame. Feels nice that they care.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
If there's any reason this game will flop it's gonna be people misinterpreting the DLC aspect of the extra characters and GOD DON'T YOU REMEMBER WHEN YOU PAID FOR A GAME YOU GOT THE GAME GODDAMMMIT Reddit poo poo everywhere.

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine

ZackHoagie posted:

If there's any reason this game will flop it's gonna be people misinterpreting the DLC aspect of the extra characters and GOD DON'T YOU REMEMBER WHEN YOU PAID FOR A GAME YOU GOT THE GAME GODDAMMMIT Reddit poo poo everywhere.

Well, I'm not a fan of it. I hate these "free"/casual pay2win games like Blood Line Champions or League of Legends that let people to pay money to unlock the new hero that they manage to cram in every week. If this stays relevant enough to be a tourny game, will people have to buy 20+ dlc characters on every console there?

However, I will be buying skull girls no questions asked. I am disappointed that there will only be 8 chars in a 3v3 game, but I think I can handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
from the op it's looking like marvel 3: not stupid version so that's really to be expected. how much is this game going to be? It can't be too much because it's download only, right?

If this game is cheaper then most games I have no problems with dlc being a thing.

As an aside, I've been watching those match videos, are the first and second things the announcer says before a fight randomized completely? (ie it randomizes the first and second lines separately). If so that's always been the dumb minor thing I've wanted in a fighting game.

• Locked thread