Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CaptBubba posted:

I don't understand the point of that safety wire. It won't prevent any of those bolts from backing out, unless that's the backside or they're left-handed :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Looks correct to me :confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mahnarch posted:

Guilty as charged!

If you're going to go 'Experimental', it's best to start from scratch.
That way you know what's what and how come.

If you want something cheap, buy a Cessna C140.
They can be had for as cheap as $13k to $20k.
They're slow and old but, hey, you can't beat the price!

That's what I was thinking. Basically buy a half-built one as a parts donor for all the expensive stuff (instruments, engine, landing gear, etc) and then do all the airframe stuff myself, unless I could simply disassemble it and verify that all parts were properly made or chosen.

13-20k is... a bit out of my range right now. That high number's about half what I bought my house for, and the low number is significantly more than I bought all five of my jeeps for. Seeing as I have a very cheap house and a lot of very cheap jeeps to fix, it doesn't leave much, so I'll probably end up with a very cheap airplane that also ends up costing significantly more than its pricetag.

Kotaru posted:

Yey! I finally get to post one of my own.

I'm replacing the head gasket in a 500 dollar MR2 I purchased as a second car. Aside from the ripped out torque mount and the incredible assortment of wrong bolts and wood screws that held it all together I found this. I wanted to see why it had zero gear oil when I pulled it.

Hello differential, you getting some air?

I think he tried to JB weld it with paper or something.

Edit:

:haw::hf::haw: that head gasket looks remarkably like the rear head gasket off my M54A2! Already posted it in this thread, but here it is again:

It actually still ran and drove pretty well like that, it just had a nasty tendency to fog you out of the cab with diesel vapor and exhaust fumes. You can't beat an old inline-6 for durability, they may not be efficient but they are about as tough as an anvil.

I expect the middle of the HG in my 98 XJ to look about the same when I take it out. I think I'm up to 10k miles on it since it dropped two cylinders now. Compression test showed 150, 150, 30, 30, 150, 150 psi readings.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

I don't understand the point of that safety wire. It won't prevent any of those bolts from backing out, unless that's the backside or they're left-handed :psyduck:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Looks correct to me :confused:
Yeah, that's the right way for a right-hand thread. Any anti-clockwise movement of the head is resisted by the wire.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

EightBit posted:

To add to InitialDave, it wouldn't matter if it was the backside either. I've seen plenty of nuts that were safety-wired, and the orientation would be the same as in that picture if they were standard right-hand threads.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

Adding to the pile, but that safety wire is just fine for normal (right-hand) thread bolts.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, that's the right way for a right-hand thread. Any anti-clockwise movement of the head is resisted by the wire.

Yeah, I'm majorly stupid today, had my head wrapped around an Oracle problem all day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CaptBubba posted:

An inspector for DC's Metro found this on Friday the 6th and all it took was a light hit with a hammer to completely separate the rotor from the train car and into the bits above. It was last inspected on December 10th and was only reinspected because on the 20th one of these 200lb monsters broke off and made contact with the 3rd rail, stranding hundreds for hours in the tunnels under DC and completely loving up everyone elses' commutes.

There's not a single touch of rust on that crack either, so this wasn't gradual. Hooray for lowest bid parts!

gently caress. Looks like I better get a bike up and running so I can avoid the metro.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress. Looks like I better get a bike up and running so I can avoid the metro.

It really makes you think about their motto doesn't it? "Metro Forward: because stopping isn't really an option at this point."

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That explains the "gently caress this loving city" Facebook status from one of my DC-area friends then. I thought it was just another case of some more ceiling tiles falling on people since that's not too unusual.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Kotaru posted:

Edit:

Can you show pics of the head/block surfaces? I'd be SURPRISED if they weren't gouged all to gently caress from the gasses...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It turns out that auto transport train cars are slightly higher than normal train cars.

(My brother sent me this, anyone got any further info?)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Google has a nice reverse image search feature that is really handy. It even has plugins for the main four browsers.

Seems that triple-high closed automotive cars don't fit under bridges/tunnels on certain routes. Also seems that people, being human, tend to forget facts like this when planning transport.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

It turns out that auto transport train cars are slightly higher than normal train cars.

Not anymore! :haw:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
From our latest buoy recovery:

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
How long does it take to wear that much?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The number of tourists that use it make it an ambassador for public transit too, how many of them go home and vote against any kind of mass transit because of how poo poo WMATA is.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you think DC Metro is 'poo poo', maaaannn.... I would kill for that level of service and lack of shanking in LA.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

How long does it take to wear that much?

3 years, give or take. It all depends on the location, and the mooring design. This one is in rough water, and has a substantial amount of the 1 1/4" chain (what you see there) up in the water column to handle winter storms and 15+ ft astronomical tides. Some of our steamer chain is a decade old, and not noticeably worn.

That's not the case with that steamer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cygni posted:

If you think DC Metro is 'poo poo', maaaannn.... I would kill for that level of service and lack of shanking in LA.

Seconding this, I was impressed with the DC Metro when my wife and I made a day trip visit there two years ago while on our honeymoon. $18 for a pair of day passes that gave us unlimited riding was a steal compared with hiring taxis. If something like that was even remotely possible where I live (its not, Amtrak doesn't even have a stop in Akron anymore) I'd vote for it in a heartbeat and would go around knocking on doors to get others to do the same.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 11, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

CaptBubba posted:

It really makes you think about their motto doesn't it? "Metro Forward: because stopping isn't really an option at this point."

More than you know
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metro#Collisions

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

sharkytm posted:

3 years, give or take. It all depends on the location, and the mooring design. This one is in rough water, and has a substantial amount of the 1 1/4" chain (what you see there) up in the water column to handle winter storms and 15+ ft astronomical tides. Some of our steamer chain is a decade old, and not noticeably worn.

That's not the case with that steamer.

Is that chain..hollow?

Edit: I mean I wouldn't think it would be but what are those dimples on each side of the break where it gets welded?

Mr-Spain fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 12, 2012

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Mr-Spain posted:

Is that chain..hollow?

Edit: I mean I wouldn't think it would be but what are those dimples on each side of the break where it gets welded?

Some chains on ships are connected with a pin that is secured with a lead plug. Could be one of those. The chains are not hollow though.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004

CaptBubba posted:

It only fell apart because they took off the wire. It was obviously still doing its job.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mr-Spain posted:

Is that chain..hollow?

It's not hollow, trust me. The dimples are from the way they weld it. It's not stud link chain, however.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Whoooops.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 14, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
that looks like a subaru that crashed into a curb

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Nope, just a broken/missing sway bar end link.

Over-designed garbage. :colbert:

E:
\/ :stare: I stand corrected. :stare: \/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 14, 2012

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

jamal posted:

that looks like a subaru that crashed into a curb

You're so good at that.
Lets count the broken suspension parts!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
there appears to have been some... custom suspension reconfiguration done to that vehicle :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's amazing how flimsy those control arms are once you shove a shitload of lateral force through them.

Ballcock
Jul 1, 2005

Safety Control Rod Axe Man
I guess they're deliberately the weak link in that situation.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If they didn't break I suppose the chassis mounting points would be next?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's amazing how flimsy those control arms are once you shove a shitload of lateral force through them.

What's hilarious is just how low the bar is for the definition of 'shitload' - the collision that trashed all of that was basically 5-10 mph into a curb. Admittedly, it was entirely compressive force on those parts, and only those parts, as somehow I managed to make sure the only impact surface was the wheel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So, yeah, a boat fell over in Italy. Anyone want to talk about that?

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

So, yeah, a boat fell over in Italy. Anyone want to talk about that?

But it ran aground, right?
So that would be a captains failure more than anything else.

edit: Who the hell takes a ship of that size that close to a coast?
Also:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/14/article-2086527-0F7474AE00000578-838_634x481.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steamos
Jul 22, 2011

dor1 posted:

But it ran aground, right?
So that would be a captains failure more than anything else.

edit: Who the hell takes a ship of that size that close to a coast?

Didn't it hit a sandbar beforehand?

I thought it hit something then it was taken closer to land so that people could have at least some chance of swimming to land.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Steamos posted:

Didn't it hit a sandbar beforehand?

I thought it hit something then it was taken closer to land so that people could have at least some chance of swimming to land.

The three people that died tried to swim to land.

I can tell you that jumping from that sort of height and now knowing how to land "safely" will hurt like hell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There's a lot of bullshit info, excuses, and rear end-covering going on right now, but in a few days there should be more solid info.

A few stories I've heard:
* hit a sandbar, captain went closer to land to give people better chances of swimming
* hit rocks, hosed, punctured the hull (obviously) and got stuck on them, when the boat takes on water that results in it tipping to the side not supported by the rocks, which tips the hole in the hull up for all to see...

Since people heard the scraping and felt the ship tip to the side and it moved no farther, and the picture above lines up with hitting rocks and tipping immediately, I'm inclined to say the captain is lying to try and cover his rear end for running into poo poo that was close to the coast and probably on the charts. Obviously I could be completely wrong, and we'll know for sure soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The Italian Cruise industry has a tradition of laying ships over after collisions with other objects.