Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drizzle 34
Jul 16, 2007
This thread is awesome. If you've posted something helpful in this thread, you're awesome. I could not be more glad I graduated to usenet from torrents.

That out of the way- anyone care to speculate on the impact SOPA potentially could have on usenet? The actual, likely effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

SOPA/PIPA would almost certainly kill Usenet service dead. Right now the only reason the US-based companies are still afloat is by virtue of the DMCA complaint/removal process. SOPA kills that and says you can litigate/defund first, ask questions later.

So that kills US service. Foreign service would be killed by simply branding any foreign Usenet host to be a "Rogue Site".

It would likely also be open season on any indexing site, domestic or foreign.

Would Usenet itself live on? Probably, but it wouldn't be anything like it is today. Just like the Web.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How exactly can SOPA/PIPA kill Usenet? Can you Yanks really just shut down the servers? Or is it some sort of DNS block (which is easily bypassed)?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Odette posted:

How exactly can SOPA/PIPA kill Usenet? Can you Yanks really just shut down the servers? Or is it some sort of DNS block (which is easily bypassed)?

Imagine some of the smaller companies or US based companies going bankrupt/losing 90% of their customer base overnight because Sony wants it so?

Pretty sure circumvention of DNS block in itself is a criminal charge, and assisting in circumvention in any way is just as illegal

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Alternate DNS providers are "illegal" ? Jesus Christ.

Don't these companies just run out of the Caymans anyway?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
Alternate DNS servers are in no way illegal. OpenDNS, Google's DNS, etc, wouldn't exist if that were the case. You can most certainly choose which DNS servers you want to use. At least right now; not sure how SOPA or whatever changes that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Galg posted:

Alternate DNS servers are in no way illegal. OpenDNS, Google's DNS, etc, wouldn't exist if that were the case. You can most certainly choose which DNS servers you want to use. At least right now; not sure how SOPA or whatever changes that.

Worst case we end up using IP addresses, and all they do is end up blocking perfectly legal content and make it harder to start up. The entire idea is bullshit but this is off topic. Basically though usenet wont die because of it. The internet is not just port 80 even though most people only experience it as that.

Even if they could block the IPs people would find ways around it and in the end all it will do is harm the innocent and give leverage to implement even more insane laws.

If they somehow ban alternate DNS I'm going to be upset google's DNS server is 8.8.8.8 and I love to use it as a test if I think the problem is DNS. (its my backup DNS at home because if the ISP DNS shits the bed normally their backup does too)

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Be realistic, people. If any site gets blocked from the root DNS, that site can safely be considered dead unless it's already a super-secretive organization. If users who are on alternative DNS are the only ones left, then bam, overnight you're reaching only a tiny fraction of your previous userbase. Add all the extra legal exposure SOPA brings to the table and pretty much everything will be Done.

Odette posted:

Don't these companies just run out of the Caymans anyway?
Nope. All the major feeds (Giganews, Highwinds, Blocknews, and *probably* Astraweb, but I can't be 100% certain there) are US-based companies subject to US law. Could we bypass DNS blocks? Sure. Would a company survive a nation-wide DNS block? Probably Not.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 1, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What's the current probability that SOPA and it's cousin will pass? It seems like the big name supporters are slowly turning their backs on it.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's the current probability that SOPA and it's cousin will pass? It seems like the big name supporters are slowly turning their backs on it.
No one loving knows. The House seems to want to just pass it because their corporate masters say so with little regard for what will happen, but that was before the mass exodus from GoDaddy and pressure that caused Nintendo, Sony and EA to at least go on record changing their minds about the bill.

We'll know soon, though! It's back on the table in January.

Edit: We're having the wrong discussion, though. Should SOPA become law, systematic destruction of Usenet is the least of our problems.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 1, 2012

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
edit: Never mind. I wrote a SABnzbd post-processing script to move the file to the watched folder. It's called after the rename so it works fine.

I'm working on getting Sick Beard, SABnzbd, and Magic Media Marker (MMM) working together. Right now, Sick Beard does its thing, hands off to SABnzbd via the API, then SABnzbd saves & renames the completed download in MMM's watched folder for converting, tagging, and adding to iTunes. I've just about got it set up, but there's one last problem.

When SABnzbd sorts and renames a file, it seems like it sorts first and renames second. So it moves the completed file to MMM's watched folder which triggers MMM. Then it renames the file which triggers MMM again. Basically MMM calls HandBrake twice on every download.

I think I have everything in SABnzbd set up correctly regarding folders, categories, and sorting. I have a temp folder, a completed download folder, a category that just leaves the download in the completed folder, and I've enabled TV Sorting into MMM's watched directory.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything or doing something stupid before I do some scripting to fix the holes in the workflow.

Also thanks for an awesome thread. Super helpful in getting this all running.

Soup in a Bag fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 1, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know if subtitle support will ever be added into the main sickbeard branch? From doing a quick google it looks like there is support but not on the main branch.

BogginHarry
Nov 23, 2004

A minor but annoying problem: I'm using sabnzbd in my XBMC-Live (the xbmcfreak version, I believe) setup on my Revo, but no matter how many times I change the port both in the config section and in every config file I can find, it keeps changing back to 9999 when I reboot the box.

Can anyone think of a reason why it keeps resetting? When I change it in the Config, I can see the change it makes to the file in my ~/.sabnzbd folder, or whatever it's called (Can't check now, I'm in work).

Thanks.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I just set up sabnzbd and sickbeard on a ubuntu box, but for some reason sab won't kick off the sabtosickbeard.py script when it finishes a download. Sickbeard kicks off the downloads just fine, and if I do manual post-processing on my sab download dir it works. Am I still supposed to fill in the "TV Download Dir" box in sickbeard even if I am using that post-processing script?

In sabnzbd the default post-processing is +Delete with no script, TV category script is set to sabtosickbeard.py, and I configured autoprocesstv.cfg. None of my sab logs show anything related to post-processing at all.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

astr0man posted:

I just set up sabnzbd and sickbeard on a ubuntu box, but for some reason sab won't kick off the sabtosickbeard.py script when it finishes a download. Sickbeard kicks off the downloads just fine, and if I do manual post-processing on my sab download dir it works. Am I still supposed to fill in the "TV Download Dir" box in sickbeard even if I am using that post-processing script?

In sabnzbd the default post-processing is +Delete with no script, TV category script is set to sabtosickbeard.py, and I configured autoprocesstv.cfg. None of my sab logs show anything related to post-processing at all.

Did you edit sabtosickbeard.py? I think you have to add your sab host in there, or something along those lines.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I ended up just restarting sab and sickbeard and it magically works now.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!
Has anyone had issues with CouchPotato downloading in various languages other than English? It seems that about 75% of my downloads are in German or othwerwise.
I've toggled "restrict to English" on for nzbmatrix provider, however I also have newzbin and nzb.su set up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Obviously Erratic posted:

Has anyone had issues with CouchPotato downloading in various languages other than English? It seems that about 75% of my downloads are in German or othwerwise.
I've toggled "restrict to English" on for nzbmatrix provider, however I also have newzbin and nzb.su set up.

Anyone got any ideas?

In this box:

Put this, customized to your needs:

subpack,nlsub,swesub,subbed,subs,dirfix,samplefix,nfofix,dvdextras,sample,extras,special,dubbed,german,french,core2hd,3DBD,hdchina,dvd9,avchd,hdtv

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

Thermopyle posted:

In this box:

Put this, customized to your needs:

subpack,nlsub,swesub,subbed,subs,dirfix,samplefix,nfofix,dvdextras,sample,extras,special,dubbed,german,french,core2hd,3DBD,hdchina,dvd9,avchd,hdtv

Awesome, seems so obvious!
Thanks a lot!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Can I copy out the NZBs from somewhere if I have downloads paused in my SAB queue? I've got some big files sitting in there and a friend with loads of spare bandwidth, and I'd like to send him the NZBs rather than go download them again.
I mean, it's not like I can't grab them again, but it would save me some time if they are sitting in a folder somewhere.

If it matters, I have SAB set up to watch my download folder for incoming NZBs and it grabs them and puts them in the queue, but I don't know where they go at that point.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I think your "temporary download folder" should have them all compressed such as:
D:\incomplete\Linux.distro.2012.01.08\_ADMIN_\Linux.distro.2012.01.08.nzb.gz
"download folder" \ job_name \ _ADMIN_ \ job_name.nzb.gz

If you want to finish a queue job already in progress on another machine, you should be able to move the whole directory over to the temporary download folder of the other SAB install as an orphaned job, then add it to the queue through Status > Queue Repair.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 8, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Just go to Config -> Folders and read the .nzb Backup Folder thing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hogburto posted:

I think your "temporary download folder" should have them all compressed such as:
D:\incomplete\Linux.distro.2012.01.08\_ADMIN_\Linux.distro.2012.01.08.nzb.gz
"download folder" \ job_name \ _ADMIN_ \ job_name.nzb.gz

If you want to finish a queue job already in progress on another machine, you should be able to move the whole directory over to the temporary download folder of the other SAB install as an orphaned job, then add it to the queue through Status > Queue Repair.

Yep, there they are, thanks. My friend has a unix box somewhere and doesn't have SAB on it, just some other command-line NZB tool, so passing him the NZBs works nice and easy.

td4guy posted:

Just go to Config -> Folders and read the .nzb Backup Folder thing.

That box is blank, and the default base folder listed has no NZBs in it. I assume I'd have to put in an entry for it to copy data to that folder?
The reply above works though. Thanks anyway.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gromit posted:

Yep, there they are, thanks.
As a guy who's taught me a thing or two, you're especially welcome.

randominfoguy
Dec 18, 2009

:confused:
Not sure how close I'm cutting it here, but how good a job does NZB Matrix or nzb.su do in indexing ebooks? Is there a more specific site/usenet provider I could look into?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I prefer search sites to indexes unless I'm setting up automated downloads.
Mysterbin and Binsearch are fine.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I have an RSS feed that I've created from NZB.su and want the nzb's that I get from that feed to be auto-sorted using the Categories/Sorting features in SABnzbd.

I assume there's a way to get this sorted correctly, but I'm not seeing the button or setting that allows me to do that. Any ideas?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does SABnzbd use multiple backup servers if you have them enabled? I'm on usenetserver with a blocknews backup account, which was just fine until I've had multiple downloads failing due to a lack of repair blocks in the past few weeks. I was thinking of buying an astraweb block account but only if it'd make a difference.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Yes, it will utilize multi-backup/fill servers.
Maybe it will make a difference.

If you are suffering from a DCMA takedown, if they've hit all the major networks with enough info to prevent it from working, it won't really matter if you have 483 backup servers.

Primary -> Free -> Block

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
A slightly related question to the post above: I have one of those free xsusenet accounts and my warning log keeps filling up with errors (too many connection, timeouts etc.) I have it marked as optional, is there a way to say "ignore all errors from this server because it's a poo poo free service?". I have it set to only a single connection.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
hmm. Seems like there is something up with your ISP/SABnzbd or something playing games - I have the following settings and don't get any of these problems.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is sickbeard smart enough to not try and digest a file while it's still being copied into TV Download Dir?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

FISHMANPET posted:

Is sickbeard smart enough to not try and digest a file while it's still being copied into TV Download Dir?

I've only seen sickbeard as a post-processing script or as a manual processing option, so yes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Modern Leper posted:

I've only seen sickbeard as a post-processing script or as a manual processing option, so yes.

No, you can set it to just watch a directory without a script being run or manually processing it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

No, you can set it to just watch a directory without a script being run or manually processing it.

If you mean the blackhole functionality then I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't use it personally but I would imagine it would just get a write error if it tried to move a file that was already in use and pick it up on the next scan. I think post-processing is a better solution personally though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No, I'm talking about Post Processing. I have a TV Download Dir set, and I'm using Scan and Process .

My question: if something is being copied into the folder when Sickbeard does it's Scan and Process, is it smart enough to not try and copy an incomplete file into my final TV destination?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

FISHMANPET posted:

My question: if something is being copied into the folder when Sickbeard does it's Scan and Process, is it smart enough to not try and copy an incomplete file into my final TV destination?

I can't tell you for certain, but anecdotally I have been using this setup for about a year and have had no problems.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
I've seen a lot of poorly encoded videos. I've seen many more using an encoding algorithm that while it doesn't look bad, is just terribly inefficient (I'm looking at you xviD). If I'm not into the 'OMG OSS :techno:.' what's the harm in transcoding these in to h264? (despite the really minor drop in quality of copying the copy) It seems that handbrake Standard does a much better job than any xviD's I see that come out of the 'scene' and I'm a little shocked that it's not the standard.

Does anyone have any further insight into this?

I'd even start trying to grab HD and transcode to 480p if that made sense as it would be smaller and look better than (much of) the SD stuff out there now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think it's tradition, the same reason that a half hour episode is 175 MB and an hour episode is 350 MB, to fit two hours of video on a CD to make a VCD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

xvid plays on many old devices and there's no real demand for a superior codec for low resolution video.