Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I believe the team has repeatedly stated that the Kotaku episodes are last on their list to do, because even that translation is better than no translation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Late delivery but

I like Polysics too. I went to one of the concerts a few years ago. Best $20 I ever spent.

Anyway thanks, your comment inspired me to draw some bizarre fanart.

For those who didn't see the comment (I know zari-gani did), Producer Kan also likes this.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

http://kotaku.com/5875856/this-could-be-your-last-chance-to-see-retro-game-master

quote:

It was a grand experiment, broadcasting weekly episodes of an entire season of a Japanese television show centered around the triumph and (more often than not) tragedy of one man's quest to conquer classic video games. Dubbed and subbed for the Japanese-impaired, the show gathered a small-but-loyal following among our readers. Since the show aired last summer not an event has gone by when I haven't been asked "When is Retro Game Master coming back?"

To answer that question, it's not returning, unfortunately, and now our rights to that initial twelve episodes will be up soon, so we've gathered the entire first season of Retro Game Master together for one last hurrah.

So this went better than expected. It sucks for GCCX that they have such a tough time getting the show picked up outside of Japan but for the fansub community this is huge news.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I guess that means the three episodes that Kotak put up, but were previously translated will be posted again soon?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
There was one... Wing of Madoola, I think, where there were notes or something that were really important but went untranslated? If you guys do end up redoing the Kotak episodes, I'm really looking forward to that one.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Ninja Gaiden and Golden Axe! :haw:

makere
Jan 14, 2012
YES. Finally registered to honor this event of Kotak's rights expiring, I hope Ninja Gaiden gets subbed soon. Didn't someone already translate the first 15mins of it in the old thread or something?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The people commenting on that news story are so loving deluded. Someone should really post there and tell them what's up but I suppose if they are reading KOTAK they are beyond help already.

e: Another piece of good news. I found that amazing Brian Ashcraft article where he shared this pearl of wisdom.

"Retro Game Master is a reminder of what Japan can do when it tries." - Brian Ashcraft

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 14, 2012

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

blog with raw GCCX episodes posted:

We are currently experiencing a high number of visitors. Page may not display due to heavy access. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Please try to access again after a while.

Noooo I've really been looking forward to part 2. :f5:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Mister Chief posted:

The people commenting on that news story are so loving deluded. Someone should really post there and tell them what's up but I suppose if they are reading KOTAK they are beyond help already.

http://kotaku.com/people/OtakuMan24/

:wtc:

Look, there's supporting a show, and then there's sounding like a complete lunatic.

Also, even if you spread the truth on KOTAK the hive-mind there would turn on you. Like so:
http://kotaku.com/5873102/32+year+old-homeless-man-found-dead-outside-japanese-arcade

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 14, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

cronox2 posted:

Look, there's supporting a show, and then there's sounding like a complete lunatic.

Also, even if you spread the truth on KOTAK the hive-mind there would turn on you. Like so:
http://kotaku.com/5873102/32+year+old-homeless-man-found-dead-outside-japanese-arcade

:wtc: indeed. :stare:

I'm sure we can all agree that while the KOTAK subs are better than no subs at all for the Japanese-impaired, the fansub community, especially SAGCCX, is going leaps and bounds farther towards releasing quality, complete experiences when it comes to GCCX.

And if anything, fansubs do "support the Kacho" by virtue of making the show more accessible to English speaking audiences and getting the proverbial word out, which creates a larger audience overall.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

cronox2 posted:

Yeah I'm a little frightened of that guy...

I'm actually disappointed the show didn't take off enough on Kotaku (I think the biggest problem was that it was on a blog site instead of a video site) -- it was the most official way to show support for the show -- but at the same time, I can't help but be excited by the opportunity to work on some of my favourite episodes. I began translating again today (Wagan Land!) and Nagoyan just finished another so look forward to more SAGCCX coming up :toot:

I'm still wondering if it's okay for me to do episode 12 or if TV-Nihon is getting on that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I disagree with the arguments he makes that fansubs do nothing to support GCCX over here. I mean, it's true that they're not earning any money off of the fansubs or us watching the show that way, but I'd bet there's a number of people who have bought merchandise. I intend to do so at some point. Even if people just bought Retro Game Challenge because of the fansubs they watched, that's a step in the right direction, albeit a small one.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I would beg to differ since obviously people from this thread that were drawn here by fansubs ended up actively joining the fan event in LA. I would posit that fansubbers directly contributed to GCCX's actual reception in the US at that event, while Kotaku did absolutely no advertising for the event when they were in the most prime position to do so.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I definitely bought Retro Game Challenge because of fansubs, as did several of my friends. This was long before I found out about you guys and this thread, but I still would never have known about the show or the game (which, by the way, is one of the best for the DS) if it hadn't been for fansubs. Though I do appreciate Kotaku for trying to get it a bit more mainstream, but I'm not sure I would love the show as much as I do if that was my only exposure.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hokuto posted:

I would beg to differ since obviously people from this thread that were drawn here by fansubs ended up actively joining the fan event in LA. I would posit that fansubbers directly contributed to GCCX's actual reception in the US at that event, while Kotaku did absolutely no advertising for the event when they were in the most prime position to do so.

This is also a good point. I remember it was stated that they did not expect much of a turnout, and as we all know the reception was amazing. I would have to agree that the fansubbing efforts were the cause of most of that. If there were no fansubbing efforts, with Kotaku's lack of advertising, the week's notice and the small-sized fanbase they draw in with RGM it is easy to imagine the turnout would have been pathetic if not for fansubbers.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hokuto posted:

Kotaku did absolutely no advertising for the event when they were in the most prime position to do so.

I completely forgot about that. And then the article about the event was just... :psyduck: They didn't even send a Kotaku representative there!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Yeah I'm a little frightened of that guy...

I'm actually disappointed the show didn't take off enough on Kotaku (I think the biggest problem was that it was on a blog site instead of a video site) -- it was the most official way to show support for the show -- but at the same time, I can't help but be excited by the opportunity to work on some of my favourite episodes. I began translating again today (Wagan Land!) and Nagoyan just finished another so look forward to more SAGCCX coming up :toot:

I'm still wondering if it's okay for me to do episode 12 or if TV-Nihon is getting on that.

You guys are going to love Wagan Land and Nagoyan's episode. Wagan Land features the high point of the first AD Takahashi's brief time on the show.

zari-gani, I don't think anyone is going to stand in your way or shed tears if you want to translate episode 12.

As for fansubs supporting the show, I have to admit that it does weigh on my mind. We've got a lot of viewers now; exact numbers are hard to pin down but we're well above the viewership for any episode Kotaku posted except Ninja Gaiden. But unlike the Japanese fanbase the people watching our videos have little opportunity to directly support the show. Really so far the only things you could do without importing from Japan are buy Retro Game Challenge and go to event in Los Angeles.

I guess the people demanding Kotaku do more episodes didn't look at the math like we did when they were still releasing episodes. No outpouring of support is going to get Kotaku to pick up the show again.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

You guys are going to love Wagan Land and Nagoyan's episode. Wagan Land features the high point of the first AD Takahashi's brief time on the show.

I loved all the episodes with the female AD Takahashi. I can't wait to see Wagan Land. Please do the few remaining episodes with her as AD. My most favorite being Megaman 1.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008
They had to cut GCCX to launch their gaming news exclusive feed, KOTAK CORE. Only video game news there. :psyduck:

Anyway, I do hope you guys do The Wing of Madoola since it has a hilarious phone conversation between Arino and Kibe. The KOTAK translation is pretty poor if not down right insulting.

Edit: Even if the KOTAK episodes are low priority, I would like to see them done one day with Tama-game and other segments restored. It doesn't feel right watching the show with them missing. It's kind of like the neutered versions of Top Gear that aired on Discovery before BBC America picked it up.

Shady3011 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 14, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kotaku are pretty much the worst. I understand that other games/otaku journalists loving hate them for a lot of shady crap they get up to.

Shlapintogan posted:

And if anything, fansubs do "support the Kacho" by virtue of making the show more accessible to English speaking audiences and getting the proverbial word out, which creates a larger audience overall.

Plus y'know, Producer Kan is internet buddies with the lead fansubber.

zari-gani posted:

I completely forgot about that. And then the article about the event was just... :psyduck: They didn't even send a Kotaku representative there!

What'd they say about it?

zari-gani posted:

Can't you ask?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

What'd they say about it?

First, they didn't mention anything on kotaku.com itself until the day before the event. That week they also skipped that week's episode of Retro Game Master. Afterward they reposted some information on the event from other people who actually went to it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Random Stranger posted:

First, they didn't mention anything on kotaku.com itself until the day before the event. That week they also skipped that week's episode of Retro Game Master. Afterward they reposted some information on the event from other people who actually went to it.

You'd think of all people they'd be the ones to translate it! :psyduck:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I thought it wasn't Kotaku doing the translating, just the "broadcasting".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

You'd think of all people they'd be the ones to translate it! :psyduck:

Translate what?

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Afterward they reposted some information on the event from other people who actually went to it.

Sounds like a typical KOTAK article.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Corridor posted:

Kotaku are pretty much the worst. I understand that other games/otaku journalists loving hate them for a lot of shady crap they get up to.

I've always heard people talk poo poo about Kotaku but never any reasons; is there anything specific that makes them poo poo?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Liku posted:

I've always heard people talk poo poo about Kotaku but never any reasons; is there anything specific that makes them poo poo?

No. It is everything.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/gameblogguu-kotaku-parody.php

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I think ChipCheezum's last retsupurae video gives you a good enough as to what kind of "jounalists" Kotaku is staffed by.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Liku posted:

Brian Ashcraft, Senior Contributing Editor for Kotaku, the blog about Gamer Culture (tm), writes a lot of articles about how much he loves Japan and their high school girls, Japan and their little girl anime character figurines, Japan and their cosplayers that he wants to oogle, etc. In fact, if you Google the name "Brian Ashcraft" this happens:

He's basically Tim Rogers, if you replace thousands of his words with pictures. Pictures of Japanese high school girls.

Not to mention the bevy of other contributors that like to write articles about Gamer Culture, such as the news about a homeless man found dead near an arcade because it is totally about video games, and how Famous Actor found playing a DS MAYBE FAMOUS ACTOR IS A GAMER WHO KNOWS?

EDIT: Without actually going to Kotaku, here's the hard-hitting journalism Kotaku is known for:
Kenji Inafune, creator of Dead Rising and Onimusha, pulled a calf muscle playing tennis.
Homeless man found dead near Japanese arcade.
Some guy got arrested for trying to rob a Toys-R-Us with toy lightsabers or some poo poo.
GAMER CULTURE!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 14, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Even disregarding Brian Ashcraft, many of Kotaku's actual articles are just severely snarky editorials about Just How Wrong You Actually Are, as if they're the most enlightened GAMES BLOG, graciously handing out morsels of wisdom from beyond the heavens to the lowly peons.

I've tried taking the site seriously on multiple occasions, but I just can't do it. The entire tone and attitude of their writing as well as their choice of subjects to cover is frankly embarassing for someone who actually has some pull in the gaming industry. Regardless of how they handled GCCX, gently caress Kotaku.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I'm all right with Kotaku and read it casually. The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me, especially the part about the comedy. Sure, like any country, there are a lot of things wrong with Japan and I'd never want to live there myself, but that article is full of straight-up ignorance and intolerance. Why was this rant published there in the first place...?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 14, 2012

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Honestly, game journalism is kind of crap almost all around right now, to the point that there is a blog dedicated to the subject: http://www.gamejournos.com

Though it's kind of telling that KOTAK seems to crop up more on there than any other individual site.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

zari-gani posted:

I'm all right with Kotaku and read it casually. The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me, especially the part about the comedy. Sure, like any country, there are a lot of things wrong with Japan and I'd never want to live there myself, but that article is full of straight-up ignorance and intolerance. Why was this rant published there in the first place...?

It's just Tim Rogers explaining how he is a unique snowflake that is bothered that Japanese society can't cater to his unique snowflakeness in a 10,000,000-word essay that ultimately is about nothing. Much like everything Tim Rogers has ever written.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Yeah the all pervasive terribleness of gaming blogs/sites like Kotaku and IGN really make me pine for the glory days of Old Man Murray. If any site could use an OMM style defenestration it's Kotak.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Along with the other problems with Kotak mentioned in previous posts, what really gets me about sites like Kotaku is the way a lot of the writing comes across like people care about what the individual author is doing or is up to. Seriously, if you're going to tell me what your impressions of some upcoming game are, just tell me what they are. I can live without 3 paragraphs telling me about what you had for breakfast that morning.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mercury Crusader posted:

Brian Ashcraft, Senior Contributing Editor for Kotaku, the blog about Gamer Culture (tm), writes a lot of articles about how much he loves Japan and their high school girls, Japan and their little girl anime character figurines, Japan and their cosplayers that he wants to oogle, etc. In fact, if you Google the name "Brian Ashcraft" this happens:

Yeah, there's some stupid poo poo written on Kotaku (why's it because called Kotak?) but I guess since I don't really read many of the articles and just use it as a general game news site it's decent enough to get me the information with a clean layout.

Anyway, gently caress it, I'm glad they're rights are going up for GCCX.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Liku posted:

Yeah, there's some stupid poo poo written on Kotaku (why's it because called Kotak?) but I guess since I don't really read many of the articles and just use it as a general game news site it's decent enough to get me the information with a clean layout.

You are the only person on the internet who thinks that gawker sites are well designed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
KOTAK got thier licence yanked? (Must have, given the standard for licences is two years at least). Great, couldn't have happened to a better bunch of guys, honestly.

Seriously, they made 4Kids look like geniuses in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Kotak, and ESPECIALLY its commenters, have earned at least some of the hate here I'm sure, but it feels like a lot of it also stems from people trying their best to say 'hey hey look I'm not a weeaboo I swear!' It's ok to be interested in Japan guys, many sane and rational people are.