Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I just picked up To Shatter all Accord by Discipline and it's probably my new favourite album of 2011. Something about it reminds me of Gazpacho at some points, but all around a wonderful album to listen to.

Has anyone listened to their previous two albums? I had never heard of them before this album but it seems like they've been on a 15 year or so hiatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Hey guys I've been checking out Rush, Yes and King Crimson. I'm pretty new to the genre... Where should I go from here? What are some essential Prog bands?

e: cheers guys I have been reading the thread :)

Hollenhammer fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 25, 2012

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey guys I've been checking out Rush, Yes and King Crimson. I'm pretty new to the genre... Where should I go from here? What are some essential Prog bands?

Get Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's album Tarkus. I don't really get into a lot of their stuff, but the song Tarkus is really cool (and it's something like 20 minutes long).

Mithra6 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 24, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hollenhammer posted:

The big essentials aside from those are ELP, Genesis (before 1977), Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, and maybe PFM.

At least for the 70's. As far as later bands I'd say that Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Anekdoten, the Mars Volta, and Wobbler are stand out acts.

You should also check out some of the more proggish jazz fusion groups like the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hollenhammer posted:

You're probably just going to want to read the thread for an answer to that. As far as big names in the first wave of British prog go, there's still Emerson, Lake & Palmer (start with Brain Salad Surgery), Genesis (start with Nursery Cryme), and Jethro Tull (start with Thick as a Brick).

Gentle Giant are more challenging and a bit of an acquired taste, but were one of the first prog bands I listened to and I adore them. I recommend starting with Free Hand or the Out of the Woods/Totally Out of the Woods compilation. If you enjoy Gentle Giant, they're a good introduction into avant-prog despite not really being avant-prog themselves.

If you find you really like the 1973-74 King Crimson albums, look into krautrock, as King Crimson have more in common with German bands of that era than the British prog scene.

Edit: To briefly return to Porcupine Tree discussion, I finally listened to Stupid Dream the other day and it's definitely my favorite PT album so far. Still haven't gotten around to Lightbulb Sun, The Incident, and most of their earlier albums though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 24, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Earwicker posted:

The big essentials aside from those are ... Genesis (before 1977)
Hey. Hey. Duke is a pretty great album, and I won't hear otherwise. It has the Duke's Suite, after all, and a nice smattering of catchy tracks throughout.

edit; there's also Domino, while I'm at it. I think the 80's electronic elements help make this track pretty unique and interesting and makes me wish that Genesis blended their older songwriting style more effectively and more often with what equipment was available to them by the mid 80's (I acknowledge that Gabriel and Hackett - and to a lesser extent, Anthony Phillips - were important to that sound, but they were pretty huge by this time and would definitely have had a queue of guys with similar chops clamouring to play alongside them).

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 26, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hollenhammer posted:

e: cheers guys I have been reading the thread :)
I'll let other people better versed in prog history comment on what's essential and what's not, but here's some things you might enjoy:

• Anekdoten - Gravity
  • Anekdoten - Nucleus
  • Black Bonzo - Lady of the Light
  • Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
  • Frank Zappa - Bongo Fury
  • Gösta Berlings Saga - Detta Har Hänt
  • Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
  • Myster Möbius - Myster Möbius
  • Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
  • RPWL - God Has Failed
  • The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
  • Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
  • Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 26, 2012

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
The Flower Kings' Unfold the Future is straight-up 70s/80s prog worship, but really really good. There's songs on there that really ape King Crimson and Yes, in particular.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The Flower Kings' Unfold the Future is straight-up 70s/80s prog worship, but really really good. There's songs on there that really ape King Crimson and Yes, in particular.
Ooh! If you're going the Roine Stolt direction, also check out Agents of Mercy's The Fading Ghosts of Twilight. The album is a little hit-or-miss, but when it hits, it's out of the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeywUMtqqs

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Hollenhammer posted:

For a well rounded experience of prog:

Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull
Apostrophe by Frank Zappa (it's one of his more mainstream and easier to get into)
Octopus by Gentle Giant
Per Un Amico by PFM
In The Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan
Six by Soft Machine
Renaissance by Renaissance
Trespass by Genesis
Meddle by Pink Floyd
Visions Of The Emerald Beyond by Mahavishnu Orchestra

And if you already haven't heard them in your foray into Rush, Yes & King Crimson:

A Farewell to Kings by Rush
Red by King Crimson
Fragile by Yes

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, am I the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums. I thought the first disc was really good, but the third disc should have been scrapped altogether. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.

I love PT though. FOABP was my introduction to them, and I went back and bought their back catalog chronologically. But being my first PT experience, FOABP is still my favorite of theirs.

edit: spelling
edit 2: sentence clarity

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 2, 2012

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Prog Doctor posted:

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, I am the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums, and apart from the first disc I thought the third disc should have been scrapped. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.

I love PT though. FOABP was my introduction to them, and I went back and bought their back catalog chronologically. But being my first PT experience, FOABP is still my favorite of theirs.

edit: spelling

I felt pretty much the exact opposite re: Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

an_mutt posted:

Hey. Hey. Duke is a pretty great album, and I won't hear otherwise. It has the Duke's Suite, after all, and a nice smattering of catchy tracks throughout.

Duke is indeed a good album, and I like plenty of Genesis's later stuff but I don't really think any of it belongs in a list of prog rock essentials.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Earwicker posted:

Duke is indeed a good album, and I like plenty of Genesis's later stuff but I don't really think any of it belongs in a list of prog rock essentials.
Ah, I never seen "essential". I'd still consider the Duke suite as something of an essential listen if you find yourself enjoying other Genesis albums, though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Prog Doctor posted:

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, I am the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums. I thought the first disc was really good, but the third disc should have been scrapped altogether. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.
I really love the first disc, but I don't find the second one half as engaging; I do enjoy Insurgentes more as a whole (also to anyone who doesn't have the bonus tracks from the special edition, listen to Collecting Space and the alternate version of Insurgentes [subtitled Mexico], they're fantastic)

Prog Doctor posted:

I've got FOABP, The Incident, Deadwing and In Absentia's 5.1 mixes ordered, should be arriving soon :pervert:

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Who's gone to see Zappa Plays Zappa this tour? Saw them last year, not sure if I'll go again this round.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

burritonegro posted:

Who's gone to see Zappa Plays Zappa this tour? Saw them last year, not sure if I'll go again this round.
I saw them when they dropped by Liverpool back in November, and they were pretty great. They played Apostrophe in its entirety!

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I'm on the fence about paying to go see them this year, as it sounds like roughly the same set. Granted, you probably still appreciate a million things you didn't get before.

Last year at the House of Blues they played all of Apostrophe, but had to wait about 15 minutes before starting because the house projector was acting fidgety and the HOB had to make a call in to the video guy who was off that night or something. The band was visibly not pleased.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

burritonegro posted:

I'm on the fence about paying to go see them this year, as it sounds like roughly the same set. Granted, you probably still appreciate a million things you didn't get before.

That, and the setlist does vary. The band knows a huge repertoire of songs, and change up a handful of songs from night to night. And very much like when Frank was alive (and touring), no song sounds the same twice - making it much more likely that, as you said, you'll appreciate a million more things than before.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Prog Doctor posted:

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, am I the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums. I thought the first disc was really good, but the third disc should have been scrapped altogether. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.

I liked the second disc about as well as the first, even if Raider II drags on a bit. Track One is up there with my favourites on the album, Index is classic Wilson and Dust is a pretty great outro. Also, as someone who loves the poo poo out of Gavin's drumming, I was really glad that he wasn't on this album. His style is very distinctive, to the point where hearing him play alongside Steven makes anything immediately resemble Porcupine Tree, at least to my ears. This is a bit of a problem I had with Insurgentes, actually - the drumming was great, but it tethered the album too closely to the sound PT had established, and was a bit less unique for it. Having a different drummer on GfD helped to separate it from that, and make it a bit more special. Doesn't hurt that Pat Mastelotto knows his way around a prog groove (and whoever the other guy credited for drums is).

Anyway, if I want to have a drumgasm to something with Gavin in, I just listen to his amazing side project Gavin Harrison & 05Ric. Aw yeah.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Anyway, if I want to have a drumgasm to something with Gavin in, I just listen to his amazing side project Gavin Harrison & 05Ric. Aw yeah.

Dunno if you've seen this, but the first 500 copies of the new album will be signed. I've been meaning to check this out for a while and haven't gotten around to it.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Oh dang, I didn't even know there was a new album. Cheers!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Oh dang, I didn't even know there was a new album. Cheers!
It's really worth subscribing to the Kscope newsletters, I just found out there's a new Anathema album coming in April from it too :v:

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

I liked the second disc about as well as the first, even if Raider II drags on a bit. Track One is up there with my favourites on the album, Index is classic Wilson and Dust is a pretty great outro. Also, as someone who loves the poo poo out of Gavin's drumming, I was really glad that he wasn't on this album. His style is very distinctive, to the point where hearing him play alongside Steven makes anything immediately resemble Porcupine Tree, at least to my ears. This is a bit of a problem I had with Insurgentes, actually - the drumming was great, but it tethered the album too closely to the sound PT had established, and was a bit less unique for it. Having a different drummer on GfD helped to separate it from that, and make it a bit more special. Doesn't hurt that Pat Mastelotto knows his way around a prog groove (and whoever the other guy credited for drums is).

Yeah, I'm familiar with that project. And I can see where you're coming from about having someone other than Gavin do drums. I just this guy (whose name I also can't remember at the moment - guess that shows how much of an impression he made on me) was a very 'blah' choice. Before GfD was released, there was all this hype about Marco Minnimann being the drummer on the album. I was very disappointed that this wasn't the case. I thought he would have done a much better job on drums - played more interesting things (I'm a drummer, which may explain my fixation with the drum parts).

I think that must be my main issue with GfD: it didn't live up to my expectations. From all the hype I was hearing about it I was expecting lots of complex, heavy riffs (in the King Crimson or Gentle Giant fashion), and what I got was a lot of piano-heavy slower songs, or slower, rambling sections on the album which I don't care for and I feel should have been cut down.

I love Pat Mastelotto. His drumming was really good in "No Part Of Me". I've seen him live a couple times - Once in King Crimson, and once with Stick Men playing alongside the Adrian Belew Power Trio. And I don't know whether it's the particular song repertoire or the lack of Robert Fripp, but his playing in Stick Men just doesn't live up to the creative genius of The Power To Believe album.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, speaking as an also drummer, it's definitely not one of those albums that I listen to for the drumming. The grooves are right in the pocket for the most part and don't really stand out on their own, which I think is fine. Mostly I just like it for the top notch writing and production.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Steven Wilson should work with Henry Ranta on his next solo album, he's playing mostly prog nowadays. He's one of the most underrated rock drummers ever and I'm really disappointed that he never got more attention.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
On this thread's recommendation I downloaded Unfold the Future and may I say this unashamed Yes worship loving owns.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
Weird that I would happen upon this thread today. I just bought Red, In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, In The Wake of Poseidon, and Island on vinyl. Put me around $50 too. Pretty good deal I'd say.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Nosferatu Man posted:

Weird that I would happen upon this thread today. I just bought Red, In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, In The Wake of Poseidon, and Island on vinyl. Put me around $50 too. Pretty good deal I'd say.

Sweet deal on the essential albums!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Man, that's a crazy good price. I paid $38 just for In the Court of the Crimson King on CD :smith:

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, speaking as an also drummer, it's definitely not one of those albums that I listen to for the drumming. The grooves are right in the pocket for the most part and don't really stand out on their own, which I think is fine. Mostly I just like it for the top notch writing and production.

I don't think his songwriting is that great on GfD, but the production is amazing as always.

I was having a discussion about the merits of Dillenger Escape Plan with a friend while watching the Prog Metal episode of Metal Evolution last night. Any ideas for the best introduction to their discography? I'm not a fan of growly vocals. Do they have an album with minimal growling?

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
DEP's second album, Miss Machine, is very melodic and has lots of actual singing. Their latest two, Option Paralysis and Ire Works, have a fair bit of crooning as well. If you hate growling then definitely avoid their debut, Calculating Infinity. Pretty much insane tech metalcore with screaming 100% of the time. If you like Mike Patton, check out Irony Is A Dead Scene, the DEP/Patton collaboration EP. Though, he doesn't do a whole lot of "singing" in the traditional sense on that release.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
can we get some discussion on Peter Hammill/Van der Graaf Generator? The more I listen to this stuff the more I feel like they really were the best out of the whole movement, so thoughtful, evil, and sincere that even the anti-prog brigade had to show some respect. sadly I only have a handful of albums (everything up to Godbluff and the first 4 PHs) and am very curious as to what his solo albums wound up sounding like in the 80's and beyond. Obviously his albums when VdGG were "on break" are the most famous but are the rest worth looking into?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd like to dig more into Hamm/Van, I've really only heard Pawn Hearts and a few scattered other bits. There was a live-in-studio version of Theme One that I had on a CD that I blasted in the car I delivered pizza in back in college. I was all over that thing.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Looks like Yes replaced their now former Yes-cover band singer with a new Yes-cover band singer:

quote:

YES Recruit New Singer

Prog rock band YES were forced to cancel the last 3 shows of their European Tour in December due to the illness of lead vocalist Benoit David who has still not recovered. To avoid disappointing their fans on the forthcoming Australasian leg of their world tour, they have found a replacement singer.

Jon Davison will join YES as lead vocalist for the upcoming dates in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Indonesia, and Hawaii. YES really appreciate Jon Davison joining them for this leg of the tour and are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans.

At this point, they should just give up. It's beyond embarrassing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WaffleStomp posted:

Looks like Yes replaced their now former Yes-cover band singer with a new Yes-cover band singer:

At this point, they should just give up. It's beyond embarrassing.
If you need someone on really short notice, why not someone you already know has memorized and can sing the songs?

(Hopefully this is not permanent.)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The new OSI album is up for preorder (pretty cheap too)

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Neurosis posted:

On this thread's recommendation I downloaded Unfold the Future and may I say this unashamed Yes worship loving owns.

You should check out more of The Flowerkings. The albums Paradox Hotel and Adam and Eve are two of my personal favorites.

edit: In fact I named my cat Roine.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 11, 2012

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Going to the Belew/Levin/Mastelotto band camp again this summer - for those who like Crim, I had an amazing time last summer.

http://www.threeofaperfectpair.com/

Standing on the front porch doing vodka shots with Adrian at 3am after the final concert talking with a half-dozen of us about playing with Zappa and Bowie... was fun.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I have read about that camp before and it looks amazing and I am crazy jealous and wish I was a brilliant guitarist to go train with Adrian. I wish there was some kind of prog rock keyboardist camp run by Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogblob
Mar 24, 2008
So it seems that in a prog masterstroke, Arjen Lucassen (the man behind Ayreon, Star One, Guilt Machine et al) has managed to recruit Rutger Hauer to narrate his upcoming solo album.

There is a sample at the end of this.

His last couple of albums, Guilt Machine's On This Perfect Day and Star One's Victims of the Modern Age have been corkers, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does on this one.