Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Lock posted:

Kotak, and ESPECIALLY its commenters, have earned at least some of the hate here I'm sure, but it feels like a lot of it also stems from people trying their best to say 'hey hey look I'm not a weeaboo I swear!' It's ok to be interested in Japan guys, many sane and rational people are.

It's one thing to be interested in Japan, it's culture, etc. It's another thing to write an entire book about Japanese high school girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lock posted:

Kotak, and ESPECIALLY its commenters, have earned at least some of the hate here I'm sure, but it feels like a lot of it also stems from people trying their best to say 'hey hey look I'm not a weeaboo I swear!' It's ok to be interested in Japan guys, many sane and rational people are.

Sadly, none of those sane and rational people write for Kotaku.

e

zari-gani posted:

I'm all right with Kotaku and read it casually. The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me

Hahahaha what the hell is this poo poo? I'm interested in modern Japanese culture, and I'm interested in the more strange and/or negative things people have to say about it. This sort of article should have been something I'd want to read. But I couldn't even finish this. I just started skipping each section, marveling at how it just kept going and going.

The first couple of points I could sort of understand, even though he took pages and pages to complain about the lack of vegetarian options. The stuff about it being hard for foreigners to fit in, about having to attend company parties, I could understand this too, even though he chose to complain in a horribly obnoxious way and then felt the need to include his obnoxious pwnage of people who annoyed him. But it just... kept... going. On and on. About the most pointless little loving things, that exist in every country.

It's like this guy is angry at Japan for not being perfect. It's very strange to read.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 14, 2012

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
Devil's advocate time:

1. If it wasn't for Kotaku, the Kacho in USA event might not have happened.

2. You are all acting like Gawker themselves produced the official (terrible) English versions (which gives you license to turn this thread into a KOTAK hate-fest). Fuji made them; Gawker just "aired" them. I'll admit that even I wanted to punch Kotaku when I saw their unique interpretation of the Atlantis no Nazo episode. But the fact is that "Retro Game Master" existed long before Gawker showed any interest. Hate the lovely dubs, and hate Kotaku, but don't hate Kotaku because of the lovely dubs.

3. Don't act like this is a magical :filez: pass. Has anyone discussed the possibility that someone else has picked up the rights?

(Item 2 edited to correct massive misinformation on my part.)

Plasquatch fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 14, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Plasquatch posted:

Devil's advocate time:

1. If it wasn't for Kotaku, the Kacho in USA event might not have happened.

2. You are all acting like Gawker themselves produced the official (terrible) English versions (which gives you license to turn this thread into a KOTAK hate-fest). Fuji made them; Gawker just "aired" them. I'll admit that even I wanted to punch Kotaku when I saw their unique interpretation of the Atlantis no Nazo episode. But the fact is that "Retro Game Master" existed long before Gawker showed any interest. Hate the lovely dubs, and hate Kotaku, but don't hate Kotaku because of the lovely dubs.

3. Don't act like this is a magical :filez: pass. Has anyone discussed the possibility that someone else has picked up the rights?

1. That's true enough.

2. That's outright wrong. Gawker media obtained the license and "hired" Bigger Boat to create their version (hired in quotes since Bigger Boat shares a lot of management with Gawker which makes their relationship muddy). Fuji TV didn't do anything with any English language version of the show; the one that they tried to sell in Cannes was produced by StyleJam and that was different from the one that Gawker produced. Gawker was completely responsible for the quality of the episodes they showed.

3. It's pretty unlikely that the rights have been picked up. I'll be really interested if they have but I doubt we'll see a fresh English version so soon after the massive flop.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Corridor posted:

It's like this guy is angry at Japan for not being perfect. It's very strange to read.

It's Tim Rogers, and he's just on the rebound from 'Japan is the most amazing thing ever and totally perfect' and has only just cottoned on that it's just another country with it's own perks and problems, just like anywhere else in the world.

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?

Random Stranger posted:

2. That's outright wrong.

Point taken. Glad to find out that my "misplaced" disappointment was actually spot-on. (Seriously, though. "One of the lives?" Bull.) Still not worth derailing the entire thread, though...

This does leave me with a couple of questions:

1. What was StyleJam's approach to the episodes?

2. Which version was shown at the New York Asian Film Festival back in 2008?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Plasquatch posted:

Point taken. Glad to find out that my "misplaced" disappointment was actually spot-on. (Seriously, though. "One of the lives?" Bull.) Still not worth derailing the entire thread, though...

This does leave me with a couple of questions:

1. Think what KOTAK were doing, only with someone who isn't talking as if he's reading a script that's been translated from Japanese with bablefish.

2. Stylejam's

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Plasquatch posted:

I wish I knew on question 1. I've only seen bits and pieces from episodes and clips. They definitely had access to the video masters, though, since they completely replaced the in show text with English.

It was the version that was shown at the film festival.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

joek0 posted:

I loved all the episodes with the female AD Takahashi. I can't wait to see Wagan Land. Please do the few remaining episodes with her as AD. My most favorite being Megaman 1.

I just realized that the only episode not subbed with the female AD Takahashi is the Magaman episode. I hope this gets subbed soon so we can all of her episodes (45-48).

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.
This project is easily one of the best things to come out of Something Awful. Show is so good.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

zari-gani posted:

The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me.

Holy Jesus Christ that is the very loving definition of :words:.

This is when you know you've been there too long, when you forget you chose to go over, that they didn't invite you and give you special rank or privilege. You gonna live in Japan? Then take the bad with the good, because there IS bad, just like anywhere else, and you as an outsider aren't gonna be the one to fix it even if you think you 'get' the pop culture.

It took me as long to just mousewheel-scroll down that article as it does to read a normal article anywhere else.

Anyway, so yeah, how 'bout that Kacho? Pretty cool guy, am I right?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
The guy basically whines about how he isn't being treated like the special butterfly he is, or about how he doesn't feel like one of the guys when he can't accept some parts of their culture simply as such. Jesus, even when you want to sympathize with him, he throws in some :smugdog: story about some sarcastic remark he never said. Goddamn.

I think these episodes might be the thing that finally get me to try Battletoads. Looks brutal.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Uuuugh, Tim Rogers is/was The Worst (Terrible Hipster) Gaijin™

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Random Stranger posted:

2. That's outright wrong. Gawker media obtained the license and "hired" Bigger Boat to create their version (hired in quotes since Bigger Boat shares a lot of management with Gawker which makes their relationship muddy). Fuji TV didn't do anything with any English language version of the show; the one that they tried to sell in Cannes was produced by StyleJam and that was different from the one that Gawker produced. Gawker was completely responsible for the quality of the episodes they showed.

Thank you for helping me finally understand this! gently caress those loving guys!

Every bit of the Stylejam episode I've seen looked and sounded great. Exactly the right level of Iron Chef excessiveness. I guess they must have been too expensive?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
One of the more recent examples of Kotaku being completely terrible was a couple months ago when RAGE was about to come out, they ran an article called "RAGE IS NO MORE" and it was actually about the comet not coming to earth anymore. They also like to rip Articles from other sites, and they even ran an article last night called "Kotaku Commentors are NOT stupid"

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I didn't know anything about people on Kotaku being creepy weirdos or long-winded morons, I just didn't like the trashy tabloid style their "articles" were written in.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Liku posted:

Yeah, there's some stupid poo poo written on Kotaku (why's it because called Kotak?) but I guess since I don't really read many of the articles and just use it as a general game news site it's decent enough to get me the information with a clean layout.

Its called 'Kotak' because of a couple videos where Arino, In Super Engrish Mode, calls them Kotak.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=264174060270550

Fun Fact: GCCX put forth way more effort advertising kotaku.com than kotaku.com put forth advertising GCCX.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
What I hate is when they end a big, attention-grabbing headline and end it with a question mark, so you can't see it from a RSS feed and it turns out it's just commenting on some dumb internet rumor for Portal 3 or whatever.

That said, as much as I like those usual "gently caress Kotaku" derails, I think they could warrant a whole other thread of their own. Someone suggested a general games journalism thread a long while ago, which could be amazing. Would someone be motivated enough to step up to the plate?

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 14, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah games needs a news/rumors thread the Giantbomb thread is full of talking about other game sites and journalists.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

I thought it wasn't Kotaku doing the translating, just the "broadcasting".

No, Gawker licensed their episodes and had them translated through a third-party company, then chalked all translation issues up to Gawker having no control over what that company did, which is an outright lie. The client always has control and input into the finished product in cases like those. There's plenty of blame to go around for everyone.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So how much did Kotaku pay for their license? How easy would it be to get GCCX on itunes? I dunno just thinking out loud here...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's never been specified beyond being "surprisingly cheap."

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay, finally watched that last episode. What the hell was with that IT'S FIIIINE OI UWA OUU thing? :psyduck:

Hokuto posted:

We should have a whip-round.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR21wl3bZAY :3:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I watched that video someone linked and was surprised by how much better it sounded than the Kotaku versions - I actually like the announcer, even if he may not have the same amazing voice that Producer Kan does. I was under the impression that Gawker just licensed pre-made English episodes and put them up, but now in kind of a sad way I'm glad to be even more justified in not liking Kotaku. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

Okay, finally watched that last episode. What the hell was with that IT'S FIIIINE OI UWA OUU thing? :psyduck:
Probably something we'd never get, but this is based on me assuming that Kato and Ken are comedians whose careers were at their peak in the early/mid-90s and it was probably some recurring gag about Japanese theater they did. I bet it's just some kind of reference that Arino and his 80s/90s Japanese pop culture knowledge would get while it would go over the heads of everyone else.

I'm sure his ADs, too, were all "what the gently caress is that" and only found it funny because Arino sounded so ridiculous doing it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Google brought me this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8u4ar_yyyyyyyy-yyyy_fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bocc Kob posted:

Google brought me this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8u4ar_yyyyyyyy-yyyy_fun

Hahaha, this is fuckin' great. It's like Japanese Rap Reiplinger

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Snot Man posted:

What I hate is when they end a big, attention-grabbing headline and end it with a question mark, so you can't see it from a RSS feed and it turns out it's just commenting on some dumb internet rumor for Portal 3 or whatever.

Fun thing I learned working in super market tabloid journalism: if a headline ends in an exclamation point, it's true; if it ends in a question mark, it's false. I can't write "Snot Man Raped and Killed a Young Girl in 1990!", because you'd then sue us for libel. But I can certainly pose the question, "Did Snot Man Rape and Kill a Young Girl in 1990? Turn to page 26 to find out!" That issue would sell like hotcakes. Hotcakes I tell ya!

Gawker and kotaku certainly fit the mold of super market tabloids on the internet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hokuto posted:

I wonder what it would take to get the show up on Netflix for streaming. One hell of a pipe-dream but it'd be awesome.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That sample clip is way better than the dubbed Kotak episodes, definitely. The announcer sounds better, translation's drat good...but what did they do to the King?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Fun thing I learned working in super market tabloid journalism: if a headline ends in an exclamation point, it's true; if it ends in a question mark, it's false. I can't write "Snot Man Raped and Killed a Young Girl in 1990!", because you'd then sue us for libel. But I can certainly pose the question, "Did Snot Man Rape and Kill a Young Girl in 1990? Turn to page 26 to find out!" That issue would sell like hotcakes. Hotcakes I tell ya!

Gawker and kotaku certainly fit the mold of super market tabloids on the internet.

You know, I bet that holds true for journalism in any form.

I have to wonder why the stuff that was cut from Kotaku was cut in the first place. Did they think nobody gave a poo poo about the Year in Review bits? Is it a giant spaghetti licensing nightmare? Did they think someone might be offended by the Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Strategy Guides bit?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

So how much did Kotaku pay for their license? How easy would it be to get GCCX on itunes? I dunno just thinking out loud here...

Given the situation I suspect they probably got it for a token sum like one dollar.

My theory is that Gascoin wanted some kind of American fan base to exist when they did their USA trip so they got in touch with people they knew in the Japanese gaming press who directed them to the US Kotaku and Gawker.

Edit: Gawker got a DVD edit for most of the episodes. It could be that the Stylejam edits of episodes were ready to go or that Gascoin thought that the other segments didn't matter.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 14, 2012

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Lock posted:

Holy Jesus Christ that is the very loving definition of :words:.

This is when you know you've been there too long, when you forget you chose to go over, that they didn't invite you and give you special rank or privilege. You gonna live in Japan? Then take the bad with the good, because there IS bad, just like anywhere else, and you as an outsider aren't gonna be the one to fix it even if you think you 'get' the pop culture.

It took me as long to just mousewheel-scroll down that article as it does to read a normal article anywhere else.

Not to keep this going any longer, but this fuckwit is no stranger to being a stupid piece of poo poo.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/five-worst-gaming-2.php

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zeether posted:

That sample clip is way better than the dubbed Kotak episodes, definitely. The announcer sounds better, translation's drat good...but what did they do to the King?

It's the prince, they change it up every once in a while. There's the King, Queen, Prince, Evil King and Evil Queen. Oh the the Ghost Samurai, there's probably another one.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

What's to stop the goon translation team from getting the licensing rights, if they're that cheap? This show could have a huge fan base.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

redmercer posted:

I have to wonder why the stuff that was cut from Kotaku was cut in the first place. Did they think nobody gave a poo poo about the Year in Review bits? Is it a giant spaghetti licensing nightmare? Did they think someone might be offended by the Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Strategy Guides bit?

That's actually because they were subbing the DVD episodes, which don't include those sections. It wasn't a Kotaku choice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lapse posted:

What's to stop the goon translation team from getting the licensing rights, if they're that cheap? This show could have a huge fan base.

Cheap for even a small corporation is not the same as "pocket change," and the company involved would presumably have more requests then just "air it."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Plus you most likely would only be able to use the inferior DVD cuts and would be missing other things like certain music tracks.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I would want nothing to do with a GCCX episode that didn't have the music for tamage segments. I'm disappointed anytime an episode doesn't have that segment just because of the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's the prince, they change it up every once in a while. There's the King, Queen, Prince, Evil King and Evil Queen. Oh the the Ghost Samurai, there's probably another one.

Actually the prince is used on the DVD releases. I don't think he's ever turned up on the show.

lapse posted:

It's an idea I've debated but licensing something is not a simple prospect. At the very least we'd have to partner with someone since the only way we'd ever make our money back is to get GCCX on television. There'd have to be some compromises with that (the separate music and game licensing is it's own problem, the shows would have to be cut down to 44 minutes long).

That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Just that getting it done would be a full time job.