Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Turning the odd shaped steering wheel is really awkward, so I made a suicide knob. I wanted it to match the spine/shift knob. The guts are a bunch of aluminum welding rod stumps mashed and bent together. I smushed them into a piece of 1-1/2" pipe. The red is old, gummed up paint mixed with metal shavings.

Also, it doesn't fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

License plate holder.

The suicide knob installed. It helps a bunch steering the drat thing.

The arm bolted in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Between this thread and Holdbrooks, AI is probably my favorite forum to lurk. Goddamn that thing is loving cool.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Good luck not getting pulled over with that lice- wait, never mind, this car is already a cop magnet.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Godholio posted:

Between this thread and Holdbrooks, AI is probably my favorite forum to lurk. Goddamn that thing is loving cool.

Getting mentioned in the same sentence as Holdbrooks, I'm honored.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
This is almost enough to make me wish I still lived in Gainesville.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Blood Magnet posted:

Getting mentioned in the same sentence as Holdbrooks, I'm honored.

Lol, this is my favorite current thread in AI right now since you bro stopped updating the rambler wagon. If I ever find my way back to Florida we need to have a week long ultimate AI allstar build.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

At work I found this crate under a half inch cover of dust. I asked if I could have it and the boss said sure. loving Howitzer crate. Score!

The top.

Please excuse my paint can mock-up. I'll make a metal frame soon.

I'm going to get a bunch of those cheap metal ammo boxes, cut them up and make a "pile" of them behind the wooden crate and in front of the gas tank.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I never find neat old boxes like this.

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
That is so awesome.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This thing is so Twisted Metal I don't even believe it really exists. Kickass.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
My parents came to visit this weekend. I almost convinced my dad to drive it, but he finally said, "Let's wait until it's a little more finished." He wrecked the poo poo out of his bug in high school.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Here is a little skull I made from a scrap of aluminum.

Last night I cut and beveled all of the tube for the back seat box. I just ran out of daylight before I could weld it. I am going to skin the box with aluminum sheet and mount that little skull between the seats. I also plan to put some speakers behind the back seats.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Welding gives off light, what's the hold up?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Blood Magnet posted:

Here is a little skull I made from a scrap of aluminum.

Last night I cut and beveled all of the tube for the back seat box. I just ran out of daylight before I could weld it. I am going to skin the box with aluminum sheet and mount that little skull between the seats. I also plan to put some speakers behind the back seats.

that looks pretty rad.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Here is a supremely crappy photo of my back seat frame. I fits in there pretty nicely. I have the aluminum sheet, I just need to cut it. I also need to lower the battery box a bit. I don't quite know what to do between the top of the box and the bottom of the window frames. It looks pretty ragged.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Aside from the shaft to the transaxle, it fits pretty well.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I wouldn't do anything with the gap below the windows until you hit upon an idea that grabs you by the nadgers. It works for now; better to do something amazing when it strikes you than do something "just because" and stop thinking about it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Just start making everything out of wood.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
My brother got me a book about old airplane cockpits. Maybe I can get some inspiration there.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
You know, without a backseat you probably have room for a FWD V8. How about a Caddy Northstar? Or an Olds 455 from a Toronado?

Or one of those siamesed Hyabusa V8s.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Doesn't the Atom have one those Hyabusa V8s? I wonder how much I could get for my existing motor.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Blood Magnet posted:

Doesn't the Atom have one those Hyabusa V8s? I wonder how much I could get for my existing motor.

I think Ariel made their own V8 for the Atom. The regular version uses a K20A Honda.

[Edit] after a quick google I was wrong. It uses the John Hartley Hyabusa derived V8 http://goo.gl/g1U7P.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 1, 2012

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Also, a V8 of any kind would tear that car a new rear end in a top hat. Maybe my next project I'll start from the ground up with a bigger motor in mind.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

I think Ariel made their own V8 for the Atom. The regular version uses a K20A Honda.

[Edit] after a quick google I was wrong. It uses the John Hartley Hyabusa derived V8 http://goo.gl/g1U7P.

I've chatted with John in the past and he's a WI local/native.
I asked him if I could do a write up / check his shop out (in a non stalker way).
He didn't flat out refuse but he did say its low volume production and only interesting when there are parts to make.

Looking into all that started when I came across the Palatov site and the original plans to run a V8 in that little beast.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Blood Magnet posted:

Also, a V8 of any kind would tear that car a new rear end in a top hat. Maybe my next project I'll start from the ground up with a bigger motor in mind.

H6 Subaru :rms:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

A window frame I made a while ago. From the bomber look I was going for.

Some more progress on the box. I also made a thingie with a handle to go over the rod from the shifter to the transaxle.

Also, it is pretty hard to take a photo of the interior of a small car.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

One more (with toy bullets, shh).

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Some where some guy in a punk band is missing a belt.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think that you will have fabricated more of this car than there will be of the original left, by the time you finish.

Looking at the Steering Spike (because it sure as hell isn't a wheel any more) and how low it is in relation to your gearstick, are you sure you aren't going to impale your thighs on it?

The rod cover kicks rear end, though. Will the Howitzer box be going at an angle? The tidyness of it being square is clashing with the leaves in your floorpan.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

simplefish posted:

I think that you will have fabricated more of this car than there will be of the original left, by the time you finish.

Looking at the Steering Spike (because it sure as hell isn't a wheel any more) and how low it is in relation to your gearstick, are you sure you aren't going to impale your thighs on it?

The rod cover kicks rear end, though. Will the Howitzer box be going at an angle? The tidyness of it being square is clashing with the leaves in your floorpan.

Floorpan, ha! That is the ground, dude. I am thinking about getting a bunch of ammo boxes and bolting them down haphazardly on top of the aluminum box.

I drove it a few times and the "steering wheel" doesn't really work. The suicide knob does help, though.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Blood Magnet posted:

I drove it a few times and the "steering wheel" doesn't really work. The suicide knob does help, though.

have you thought about something like a flight yolk? that might work better and still fit the bomber theme too.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Holdbrooks posted:

have you thought about something like a flight yolk? that might work better and still fit the bomber theme too.

A yoke out of a B52 in the aircraft bone yard in AZ would be something...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Massive bonus points if it was a German design, like a Dornier.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 2, 2012

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Blood Magnet posted:

Um, you're gonna build a tube chassis and hang the body panels from it. Duh!

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Not much progress today. I got the passenger seat mounted and finished up the panel for the top of the box. I welded nuts to the bottom of the box so I can take the top panel out so I can get to the battery.

When my wife got home today I told her "Hey, I got both seats in the bug so now we can take it for a spin." I got the most sarcastic "great" in the history of man. She doesn't even try to humor me anymore about this car.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Um, you're gonna build a tube chassis and hang the body panels from it. Duh!

My next car is going to be a Karmann Ghia. A nice one.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

You're making me want to start working on my bug again, it's my daily driver so pulling it apart for a full build might pose a problem. Also my brother just sold his 68 Cal look Ghia last month, sucks that things body was pristine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ghias are nice and all but sometimes parts are a pita to find.
I had one, loved it but for customization and parts it was rough sometimes. Bought a parts car for $300 because the door hinges were almost worth that. (body was spoken for because someone needed the nose due to hitting a deer.
But on the plus you get a lot of looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Ghias are nice and all but sometimes parts are a pita to find.
I had one, loved it but for customization and parts it was rough sometimes. Bought a parts car for $300 because the door hinges were almost worth that. (body was spoken for because someone needed the nose due to hitting a deer.
But on the plus you get a lot of looks.

I can just fabricate all of the parts I need.

• Locked thread