Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

This might be the best FG this year but I'm not going to buy it because the voice acting and the colors. Time to play UMvC3 where everyone says "YOU LIKE THAT??!"

If you want I can talk about all the design and system decisions that I also don't like but even so I guess I can agree that in a year with three or four large-scale fighting game releases Skullgirls might still be the best. What's the other competition this year besides SFxT, SC5 and maybe the console release of TTT2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

CubsWoo posted:

This is all subjective but watching those top 8 videos confirmed to me how little I like this game's aesthetics.

- The voice acting. I know this isn't a big budget Capcom production or anything, but outside of the announcer and Peacock (which are really well-done and memorable) the rest of the voice cast is either forgettable or really bad. Ms. Fortune is particular is grating.

I'd like to believe that Ms. Fortune's voice acting is supposed to be as ironically corny as possible. All those cat puns :ironicat:

Brother Entropy posted:

I love Ms. Fortune's voice clips. My only real complaint(which is admittedly dumb as gently caress) is that it bugs me that Parasoul has like 3 or 4 different voice clips with different inflections for Napalm Shot.

I find this great, as it keeps projectile spamming from being as dull and repetitive as it looks. :colbert:

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

CubsWoo posted:

If you want I can talk about all the design and system decisions that I also don't like but even so I guess I can agree that in a year with three or four large-scale fighting game releases Skullgirls might still be the best. What's the other competition this year besides SFxT, SC5 and maybe the console release of TTT2?
Theres another blazblue iteration, the persona fighter, the zybourne clock fighitng game?? I dunno thats all I got.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

El Belmondo posted:

I find this great, as it keeps projectile spamming from being as dull and repetitive as it looks. :colbert:

Eh, I'd agree if they were distinct different lines(I think Peacock has some of that for her projectiles?). Just rerecording the same line 3 or 4 times makes it sound weird.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Brother Entropy posted:

Eh, I'd agree if they were distinct different lines(I think Peacock has some of that for her projectiles?). Just rerecording the same line 3 or 4 times makes it sound weird.

Maybe it's like old SF2 where each projectile speed got its own pitch?

I don't mean to come off as someone who's just making GBS threads on the game - I consider Skullgirls, based on what I've seen (unless somebody wants to fly a copy out to bumfuck nowhere Georgia for me to test, which I'm positive will never happen) to be a good game that is personally Not For Me. I feel the same way about the KoF series, I played KoF96-98 years ago on an old NeoGeo cabinet in my college's bowling alley/arcade and just preferred to play the MSHvSF and MvC1/2 cabinets that were available. KoFXIII seems like a well-made game, I just don't enjoy that series and I haven't spent the $40 or whatever on a copy because of it.

I hope Skullgirls does well and gains a large following so it becomes a featured game at EVO 2013.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Theres another blazblue iteration, the persona fighter, the zybourne clock fighitng game?? I dunno thats all I got.

I don't think any of these really fit the bill.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

sleeps-chan posted:

However, I will be buying skull girls no questions asked. I am disappointed that there will only be 8 chars in a 3v3 game, but I think I can handle it.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 only had like 8 characters.

El Belmondo posted:

I'd like to believe that Ms. Fortune's voice acting is supposed to be as ironically corny as possible. All those cat puns :ironicat:

You'd be right. Her "likes" include bad puns and the intent was to make you groan.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah but let's not be pedantic here.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Marvel 2's tiers took a good 3 years to become what they ended up as and people still played with low tiers all the time in casuals and low tier tournaments so it's kind of a spurious thing to say. That said it is true that top tier MvC2 was still a good game.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 14, 2012

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Brother Entropy posted:

I love Ms. Fortune's voice clips. My only real complaint(which is admittedly dumb as gently caress) is that it bugs me that Parasoul has like 3 or 4 different voice clips with different inflections for Napalm Shot.

In this blog post, they mention how they'll have P1 and P2's voices be slightly different, maybe that's what you heard?

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So Squigly is confirmed to be cut? I must have missed something somewhere.

My understanding was Squigly and Umbrella are going to be early DLC, with Leduc being immediately after them.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What I heard is that one of the early DLC dudes is going to be a wrestler called Beowulf with a steel chair called The Hurting.

For the price, I heard some where below $20. That's not bad, especially if they can push it to 10
or 15

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Marvel VS Capcom 3 AE

Broken Loose posted:

Do we have any good reason aside from faith to believe Skullgirls will have more than 2-4 once tiers start working themselves out?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Do we have any good reason aside from faith to believe Skullgirls will have more than 2-4 once tiers start working themselves out?

There's no reason to believe it would be anything like MvC2 balance to begin with. There's a world of difference between being low-tier and being MvC2 Ryu.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

In this blog post, they mention how they'll have P1 and P2's voices be slightly different, maybe that's what you heard?

Nah, there's a part in this match where Parasoul spams Napalm Shot for like 10 seconds straight and the Peacock player has no idea what to do.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Brother Entropy posted:

Nah, there's a part in this match where Parasoul spams Napalm Shot for like 10 seconds straight and the Peacock player has no idea what to do.

Hahaha, I just noticed that one of Peacock's win quotes against Parasoul is "You're not bad, you're just drawn badly."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Does Parasoul's "take the shot" super work pretty much like Hawkeye's gimlet in MvC3? Although it doesn't look like she can use it in the air which is kind of a bummer.

And can Ms. Fortune's head take damage if it's still on the floor when she tags out?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Does Parasoul's "take the shot" super work pretty much like Hawkeye's gimlet in MvC3? Although it doesn't look like she can use it in the air which is kind of a bummer.

And can Ms. Fortune's head take damage if it's still on the floor when she tags out?

I'm pretty sure that super is instant after the flash and causes crumple on hit but can be punished on block. Also, to my knowledge Ms Fortune's head is only interactable if she's on screen, either on point or as an assist.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure that super is instant after the flash and causes crumple on hit but can be punished on block. Also, to my knowledge Ms Fortune's head is only interactable if she's on screen, either on point or as an assist.

It's not instant, you can counter-super it (or block it) post-flash.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It actually functions closer to Hail Storm than Gimlet.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

It actually functions closer to Hail Storm than Gimlet.

I don't see it, what do you mean?

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

ZackHoagie posted:

If there's any reason this game will flop it's gonna be people misinterpreting the DLC aspect of the extra characters and GOD DON'T YOU REMEMBER WHEN YOU PAID FOR A GAME YOU GOT THE GAME GODDAMMMIT Reddit poo poo everywhere.

I will personally axe murder any Redditor that slanders this game. You have my word.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Jmcrofts posted:

Probably means that it's not (quite as) instant like Gimlet, but once Parasoul has called in the shot, hitting her won't stop it? I'm reaching a bit but that's all I can think of.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with DLC when the game's probably gonna be 15 bucks max.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

Fullscreen, kinda slow startup, hits instantly, ideal for trades (because it continues even if you get hit out of it), ground only, DHC into it makes it amazing. It otherwise sacrifices the chip of Hail Storm for crumple stun.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with DLC when the game's probably gonna be 15 bucks max.

I think people just assume the worst when they hear DLC is planned before the game is released, especially when a game like Skullgirls doesn't appear to offer a whole lot from the get-go. I do agree that fretting over it right now is a bit silly, especially when we don't know how its even going to be priced. Though I'm fairly confident it's not going to stoop to MvC3 levels where they're asking for $5 each character.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is there any idea when or if this is going to get a PC release? I heard it might, but in a "Anything's possible :) :)" sense rather than an actual planned sort of way.

I'd really like to play a character in a PC fighting game that isn't Ken.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Word is it's more than likely, but it'll be after the initial release. Hey, if it does good enough it might get a disc release with all the dlc.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Are you allowed to do mandatory installs on the 360? Because with how the game streams data off the hard disk during the match there's no way you could run it off a disc.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 15, 2012

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Are you allowed to do mandatory installs on the 360?
No, because not all 360s have hard drives. There are a few games where you get visible enhancements as a result of installing (Battlefield 3 comes to find), but there aren't any games that force you to write to disk.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm not positive on it but I believe everything gets loaded into memory before the match anyway. The only poo poo you would have stream during a match is the music.

VV ah yeah this is a team game so that too

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 15, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm not positive on it but I believe everything gets loaded into memory before the match anyway. The only poo poo you would have stream during a match is the music.

All of the character sprite data is streaming in as your are switching characters. There isn't nearly enough room to fit 6 characters into memory at once.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Is there actually a time when you want Ms. Fortune to keep her head on? Every video I've seen of her the player takes it off right away and keeps it there.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I remember someone (I think it was Mike Z) saying that she has fantastic s.HP and j.HP normals, so it's a trade-off. Still, losing two good attacks in exchange for a slightly less powerful Zappa Dog is a good deal.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It also changes Furrserker Purrage finish from a sliding knockdown to a juggle-ish hit. Also for defense purposes you take more if you and the head are hit. If you don't capitalize on having a "shadow", you will bite it big time.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is there actually a time when you want Ms. Fortune to keep her head on? Every video I've seen of her the player takes it off right away and keeps it there.

as stated earlier HP controls the head so you lose all her normals with HP in them and it's really hard to understate how amazing her j. hp is. I didn't play a lot with fortune but i really rarely took her head off she's a really fine character even if you keep the head on all the time (though obviously better if you have the head off and know how to use it)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I vaguely remember hearing that all the DLC characters would be free. Is that still a thing?

E: Also is Skullgirls gonna be at Final Round by any chance? Or maybe it'll have been released by then

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Get ready for Fighting Game Crash V2!!

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Hey, don't joke like that. Wait until Street Fighter EX4 and then we'll talk about the genre dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CubsWoo posted:

VF5FS port.

• Locked thread